Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

I think the pre-Chevy roasts that were a collab were fine. I enjoyed Shatner and Hef, and the bits I've seen of Jerry Stiller and Drew Carey were good.

Yeah the earlier ones definitely weren't intended to be mean. You can clearly tell the ones that are just friends goofing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1270521082924142594?s=21

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1270508265525387264?s=21

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doug Sisk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_UN2S8SasY

Columbo roasting Frank Sinatra was probably the high point, and it was hardly about the roast at all.
Is that....Ronald Reagan there????
Lieutenant!!! The murderer's right there under your nose!

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

christmas boots posted:

He’s really good at physical comedy. So are goons, but not in the same way.

I think you might have confused comedy and tragedy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

thepopmonster posted:

I think you might have confused comedy and tragedy.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when a goon falls into an open sewer and gets stuck.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Excluding the Simpsons what are the most embarrassing attempts by gone-to-seed creators at trying to remain hip and relevant?

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going. A practically senile Groucho Marx showed up in a movie full of geezers, that tried appealing to a sixties audience by having loads of hippies show up and exhibiting a completely oblivious depiction of LSD. What's telling beyond the aging cast-members of these movies is the stiff and formulaic camerawork as if nobody wanted to get out of their chairs.

For every George Miller ageing gracefully there are ten Ridley Scotts chugging stupid-pills and making Alien sequels.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jun 10, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spielberg doing Ready Player One.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Excluding the Simpsons what are the most embarrassing attempts by gone-to-seed creators at trying to remain hip and relevant?

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going. A practically senile Groucho Marx showed up in a movie full of geezers, that tried appealing to a sixties audience by having loads of hippies show up and exhibiting a completely oblivious depiction of LSD. What's telling beyond the aging cast-members of these movies is the stiff and formulaic camerawork as if nobody wanted to get out of their chsirs.

For every George Miller ageing gracefully there are ten Ridley Scotts chugging stupid-pills and making Alien sequels.

The Way To Eden.

Yeah, brother.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going. A practically senile Groucho Marx showed up in a movie full of geezers, that tried appealing to a sixties audience by having loads of hippies show up and exhibiting a completely oblivious depiction of LSD. What's telling beyond the aging cast-members of these movies is the stiff and formulaic camerawork as if nobody wanted to get out of their chsirs.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence isn't what you're looking for but I have to call it out. Mainly call John Wayne out.

John Wayne, notable for playing a soldier in a bunch of propaganda movies, portrays a grizzled gunslinging cowboy who Knows How Things Work Out Here, in the famous western.

James Stewart portrays a naive city-slicking lawyer who doesn't understand the bold frontier.

John Wayne was a lying fash until the day he died, and never faced any struggle in his life.

James Stewart is a WW2 combat veteran. He was famous before WW2, and he fought against his superiors who wanted him to stay home and make propaganda videos. He insisted he'd fight, and is very well recorded to have participated in combat missions against the actual goddam nazis. He remains the most military-decorated Hollywood actor.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jun 10, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He remains the most military-decorated Hollywood actor.

Granted, it might not count since he became a Hollywood actor BECAUSE he was a decorated WWII vet, but..Audie Murphy?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going. A practically senile Groucho Marx showed up in a movie full of geezers, that tried appealing to a sixties audience by having loads of hippies show up and exhibiting a completely oblivious depiction of LSD. What's telling beyond the aging cast-members of these movies is the stiff and formulaic camerawork as if nobody wanted to get out of their chairs.

if Groucho Marx seemed out of it for Skidoo, it was possibly because (as he mentioned when talking about the movie later) he tried weed for the first time during filming, iirc

Mae West’s last movie was also a big old trainwreck, from what I remember, basically on account of her complete inability to concede that she was no longer young, hot, and provocative

I’ve also never watched Laurel and Hardy’s last film, because even the stills from that production look like posed corpses

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Polygon did a great write-up about that trainwreck. It's amazing that they got a coherent movie out of any of it. Apparently Capcom loved it.

Poor Raul Julia was basically holding the entire thing together and he just wanted to make a movie his kids would like before he died.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Marx actually tried LSD to prep for the film, which was Skidoo. He also thought the film was horrible.

Mae West has already been mentioned. Lucille Ball's last attempt at a sitcom in the 1980s was said to be pretty bad. I haven't sought out clips of it. Danny Thomas also had a bad sitcom attempt in the 1980s, but the episode I've seen wasn't so much painfully bad as just boringly bad.

Norman Lear's attempts to recreate the magic of All in the Family and The Jeffersons got painfully worse as years went on. He had one last attempt in the 1990s. There's this description of 704 Hauser:

quote:

Norman Lear created the series during the time when conservative talk radio was experiencing its initial upswing in popularity in the United States, particularly in the form of Rush Limbaugh. Lear felt that the time was right for a new show to explore some of the issues being discussed, and 704 Hauser was even more explicitly political than All in the Family.

John Amos, a veteran of the earlier Lear sitcom Good Times (itself a spin-off of the All in the Family spin-off Maude), starred as Ernie Cumberbatch, while Lynnie Godfrey played his wife, Rose. T.E. Russell played their live-at-home son, Thurgood Marshall "Goodie" Cumberbatch.[2]

The show featured a reversal of the original All in the Family formula. Ernie and Rose Cumberbatch were working class Democrats, while their son Goodie was a conservative activist and his girlfriend, Cherlyn Markowitz (Maura Tierney), was white and Jewish.

It lasted five episodes in 1994.

On a slightly different line than Skidoo, Tom Laughlin's Billy Jack movies. Laughlin's line of thinking in these films isn't that out of whack for the times, but they are indeed of their times when viewed now. Note that I have not seen any of Billy Jack Goes to Washington.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DrBouvenstein posted:

Granted, it might not count since he became a Hollywood actor BECAUSE he was a decorated WWII vet, but..Audie Murphy?

That's a hard call. Stewart has double Murphy's acting credits and started in the early 30s. Murphy was in 50 movies, mostly Westerns. On the other hand, Stewart was a much better actor and was in consistently better movies than Murphy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'm reminded of how John Wayne starred in a Vietnam war movie, when the actual Vietnam war was still going.

the green berets does stand out as awful propaganda and despite being a giant rear end in a top hat irl, john wayne probably isn't the best overall example tho - looking at his career as a whole anyway

it was on the tail end of his career that he snagged his one and only oscar for true grit, wayne's performance with katharine hepburn in its sequel, rooster cogburn, is also considered one his best as he greatly benefited from playing against one cinema's greatest actresses, he had classic films like the cowboys where he's an old man clearly trying to pass on the torch to a younger generation and the shootist is considered one of the greatest last film swan songs of any actor period - it's like tailor made as a big send-off for john wayne - and by this point he'd found his routine so even his less notable films like big jake, chisum or rio lobo pleased audience subsets who still couldn't get enough of the duke

wayne's much more of a miller than a scotts all things considered

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

John Wayne was a lying fash until the day he died, and never faced any struggle in his life.

sadly true; in his lifetime he hardly dealt with any consequences for his actions and in his time he died mostly beloved, relatively speaking, despite there being worthier icons

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ridley Scott didn't make an Alien sequel until 2017?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mister No posted:

there won't be a future

y'all cool it a bit.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

rydiafan posted:

I believe it's the only mention ever of her first name.

I could have sworn Mrs. Columbo's first name was Kate.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

hard counter posted:

the green berets does stand out as awful propaganda and despite being a giant rear end in a top hat irl, john wayne probably isn't the best overall example tho - looking at his career as a whole anyway

it was on the tail end of his career that he snagged his one and only oscar for true grit, wayne's performance with katharine hepburn in its sequel, rooster cogburn, is also considered one his best as he greatly benefited from playing against one cinema's greatest actresses, he had classic films like the cowboys where he's an old man clearly trying to pass on the torch to a younger generation and the shootist is considered one of the greatest last film swan songs of any actor period - it's like tailor made as a big send-off for john wayne - and by this point he'd found his routine so even his less notable films like big jake, chisum or rio lobo pleased audience subsets who still couldn't get enough of the duke

wayne's much more of a miller than a scotts all things considered

sadly true; in his lifetime he hardly dealt with any consequences for his actions and in his time he died mostly beloved, relatively speaking, despite there being worthier icons

All those movies you mentioned suck dogshit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
John Wayne is a poo poo actor.

e;
The Family Guy bit where Peter does an impression of John Wayne is 100% faithful to Wayne's method.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hey now, it was implied this was late-life projects where they sucked, not late life projects that sucked. I just watched that awful movie last weekend and Raul Julia’s performance was still fantastic. Shame about every other part of the movie though.

If you’re wondering why I was watching that turd, I had just watched the first Mortal Kombat movie and thought it would be a good double feature. Watching MK right before it really just made Street Fighter feel worse in every way, MK is legitimately a really fun B-movie with a lot of good performances and cool visual design.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ridley Scott didn't make an Alien sequel until 2017?

Prometheus was his attempt to expand the setting by focusing on the Space Jockey. When he looked at the laundry list of criticism he came to the conclusion that the next movie clearly needs more Xeno.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rodbeard posted:

All those movies you mentioned suck dogshit.

This is ridiculous. Wayne is unduly idolised, but True Grit and The Shootist are both arguably in the top 10 westerns ever made.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lucille Ball's last attempt at a sitcom in the 1980s was said to be pretty bad. I haven't sought out clips of it

That was Life With Lucy. It was horrifically bad. Here she was, in her 70s, trrying to do the same slapstick stuff she had done decades earlier. Bobcat Goldthwait said it should have been called "I'm Starting to loving Worry About Lucy".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was Life With Lucy. It was horrifically bad. Here she was, in her 70s, trrying to do the same slapstick stuff she had done decades earlier. Bobcat Goldthwait said it should have been called "I'm Starting to loving Worry About Lucy".

Speaking of Bobcat, remember Unhappily Ever After?

I'm sure it's aged terribly, seeing as how it was basically a Married With Children clone, but drat if I didn't watch the hell out of it when I was younger.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

I'm sure it's aged terribly, seeing as how it was basically a Married With Children clone, but drat if I didn't watch the hell out of it when I was younger.

Was that the one with the rabbit puppet?

Also gdthwaite’s found footage Bigfoot horror movie is worth checking out if you’re into that sort of thing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

the_steve posted:

I mean, it was made by one of the guys who made Married With Children, and they didn't try to hide this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Nikki Cox didn't age well and I don't mean that in a she got old, she did a lot of unnecessary plastic surgery.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Prometheus was his attempt to expand the setting by focusing on the Space Jockey. When he looked at the laundry list of criticism he came to the conclusion that the next movie clearly needs more boring loving androids.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prometheus rules. It’s at the mountains of madness in space and I love it. Alien covenant isn’t great. All of the interesting stuff is completely glossed over in flashbacks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Nikki Cox didn't age well and I don't mean that in a she got old, she did a lot of unnecessary plastic surgery.

holy yikes

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Was that the one with the rabbit puppet?

Also gdthwaite’s found footage Bigfoot horror movie is worth checking out if you’re into that sort of thing

Yeah, Mr. Floppy.

And oh poo poo, didn't know about that movie. I'll have to look it up.
Honestly, all I remember of Bobcat's work was Unhappily, and Bobcat's Bigass Show, which is probably another contender for not aging well if I were to venture a guess.
Well that and ReBoot. What!?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

Gone with the Wind has been taken off HBO Max following calls for it to be removed from the US streaming service.

HBO Max said the 1939 film was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today". It said the film would return to the platform at an unspecified date with a "discussion of its historical context".

Set during and after the American Civil War, Gone with the Wind has long been attacked for its depiction of slavery. Based on the novel by Margaret Mitchell, it features slave characters who seem contented with their lot and who remain loyal to their former owners after slavery's abolition.

Gone with the Wind received 10 Oscars and remains the highest-grossing movie of all time when its takings are adjusted for inflation. Hattie McDaniel became the first black actress to be nominated for, and win, an Academy Award for her role as domestic servant Mammy.

Writing in the Los Angeles Times this week, screenwriter John Ridley said the film "glorifies the antebellum south" and perpetuated "painful stereotypes of people of colour". "The movie had the very best talents in Hollywood at that time working together to sentimentalise a history that never was," continued the Oscar-winning screenwriter of 12 Years A Slave.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This made me check something, and yep, ‘Song Of The South’ has people on IMDB clamouring for a re-release. It has 93 ‘10’ scores, from people who don’t see what the problem is, against 6 scores of 3 or below.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Norman Lear's attempts to recreate the magic of All in the Family and The Jeffersons got painfully worse as years went on. He had one last attempt in the 1990s. There's this description of 704 Hauser:

It lasted five episodes in 1994.

That sounds like doing Family Ties a decade late and worse.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a drat.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Doesn't she also have terrible MAGA-esque politics, or am I thinking of someone else?

Edit: I also got Unhappily Ever After mixed up with Greg the Bunny, because honestly, why were there two shows on at the same time with bunny puppets?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jun 10, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Doesn't she also have terrible MAGA-esque politics, or am I thinking of someone else?

Edit: I also got Unhappily Ever After mixed up with Greg the Bunny, because honestly, why were there two shows on at the same time with bunny puppets?

My mental clock says Greg was like a decade later

Greg is also a hilarious show with the cringey exception of the character "Tardy the Turtle"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

This is ridiculous. Wayne is unduly idolised, but True Grit and The Shootist are both arguably in the top 10 westerns ever made.

John Wayne in True Grit got outacted by the guy with no acting experience that they casted when Elvis bailed. John Wayne also almost bailed on the film because his decades of acting experience did not prepare him for the daunting task of playing a slightly different cowboy and they wouldn't let him bring in his personal screenwriter to turn it into a generic John Wayne movie. There is no reason to ever watch the John Wayne version again now that somebody did a version with somebody who can actually act. I didn't make it all the way through the Shootist because I didn't want to watch 2 hours of people sucking John Wayne's dick because they felt bad that he was about to die. Honestly it's disgusting that they gave John Wayne an Oscar for butchering the work of a blacklisted author considering he had a role in getting several people blacklisted himself.

It's funny that Gone With the Wind got away with it for so long just by having all the KKK scenes happen just off screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s two types of people: Clint Eastwood people and John Wayne people