Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a fair cop, I just usually see it discussed in terms of production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DACs are a solved problem, all the manufacturer can do is chase zeros on the spec sheet [Benchmark], make the signal slightly worse [Schiit] or put it in an extremely ugly case [Chord, Cyrus]. The DAC in my receiver which does high res PCM, DSD, crossover, volume control and EQ costs two dollars from AKM. There's a running thread in the AVS 2 channel forum where a guy recorded a song through an $8 Apple USB C DAC, through a cheap cable that's too long then back through a cheap desktop interface and had a Foobar ABX test against the original file. Nobody has been able to tell the difference when testing but there's a whole lot of people who won't take the test and want to yell at him for hundreds of pages.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I would say "signal processing" rather than "production", really. 96kHz sample rate gives more than enough headroom to minimize artifacts from filters, similar to how 24 bit depth assures that you really don't have to worry about the noise floor creeping up into the audible range while messing with the signal, unless you really mess up bad. It's the "don't worry about it" setting. If you do signal processing at 44.1kHz and 16 bits, you have to know what you're doing to not mess it up.

For the final end result signal being output by the last DAC in the chain, yeah just use 44.1 or 48kHz at 16 bits, job done.

E: In fact, unless you have to use 44.1kHz for whatever reasons of compatibility if/when you distribute audio to customers, just use 48kHz, please just let us standardize for once. It's the default sample rate on phones and stuff, you would be making life so much easier.

OH MY GOD loving FIIO. I bought a D03K to connect to my Samsung TV and apparently it just could not handle it.
It does fine with 44.1kHz sources but does not handle 48 well at all. :shrug:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Floyd Toole does argue for 20 bit playback. Technically, human hearing exceeds 16 bit resolution. In practice, outside of a purpose built, very quiet room and an exceptionally dynamic recording, no one would ever be able to make use of that increased dynamic range.

That won’t stop people from trumpeting the superiority of 32 bit 384 kHz recordings, though. Is there even a DAC that can exceed an effective bit depth of 21 bits?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OH MY GOD loving FIIO. I bought a D03K to connect to my Samsung TV and apparently it just could not handle it.
It does fine with 44.1kHz sources but does not handle 48 well at all. :shrug:

Yeah, it's a real mess and a drat shame, especially since it's specifically sold as a DAC for use with TVs that only have optical outputs available, and 48kHz is the de facto standard in the video world.

At least on a PC you can force resampling to 44.1kHz and still use it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

DACs are a solved problem, all the manufacturer can do is chase zeros on the spec sheet [Benchmark], make the signal slightly worse [Schiit] or put it in an extremely ugly case [Chord, Cyrus]. The DAC in my receiver which does high res PCM, DSD, crossover, volume control and EQ costs two dollars from AKM. There's a running thread in the AVS 2 channel forum where a guy recorded a song through an $8 Apple USB C DAC, through a cheap cable that's too long then back through a cheap desktop interface and had a Foobar ABX test against the original file. Nobody has been able to tell the difference when testing but there's a whole lot of people who won't take the test and want to yell at him for hundreds of pages.

Hahaha I went FiiO, Schiit, Focusrite.

My Scarlett died 😭 I needed those balanced outputs and volume knob for my Mackies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wasabi the J posted:

My Scarlett died 😭 I needed those balanced outputs and volume knob for my Mackies.

It's time for a Big Knob :heysexy:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still swear on internal soundcards. For this mainboard having those stupid Nichicon gold caps, some shielding and PCB separation bullshit, and whatever the hell else, there's sure plenty of audible noise. And I'm not gonna put an ugly breakout box on my desk. Also, those Soundblaster drivers have yet to take my system down, and it runs 24/7.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I haven't had problems with onboard realteks in years. I get high-end motherboards so maybe it's different on inexpensive ones, but I thought that problem largely got solved a while ago except on bargain poo poo.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still swear on internal soundcards.

Yeah get an Asus Xonar and call it a day

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still swear on internal soundcards. For this mainboard having those stupid Nichicon gold caps, some shielding and PCB separation bullshit, and whatever the hell else, there's sure plenty of audible noise. And I'm not gonna put an ugly breakout box on my desk. Also, those Soundblaster drivers have yet to take my system down, and it runs 24/7.

If you do want something external that doesn't take up table space and you have USB-C ports, get one of these: https://www.meizu.com/en/accessory/hifipro.html

Or a Google Pixel USB-C headphone dongle. Probably the most discrete options out there.

If I had USB-C ports in my PC and I wanted to replace my Topping D30 (and get rid of a mains power supply), I would just get one of those and keep my Atom headphone amp and be happy.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 10, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude after having a separate monitor and headphone volume knob for so long I will never be able to go back.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's time for a Big Knob :heysexy:

These are fantastic by the way.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

qirex posted:

To be fair, that 8 dollar Apple USB-C DAC is really, really good.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

So's the desktop interface, I'm sure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A choke, a cap, a relay, and a fuse. And likely a big clunky Cherry power switch.
I've taken them apart and they're rails or daisy chained outlets with caps across the pins of each outlet. I would be shocked if it did anything but a bit of filtering and power factor correction.

evilcat posted:

I found this gem with various arguments online about listening to cables and if a high end analog cable makes a difference or not and stranded vs solid core and cables spending years in development.
This was while trying to find an instrument cable that looks weird because I'd be more interested in weird over sensible.
Now while these are expensive instrument cables at a couple hundred USD per at retailers and solid core, that isn't the worst.
Apparently even high end XLR cables can have enough variation from cable to cable that they sell them in matched pairs.
I could be very behind in cable science but I'd imagine two XLR cables of the same length and same cable and ends would be effectively identical but apparently there is such variation that they need to be matched together.
How long until someone makes matched pair power cords for active speakers or monoblock amplifiers?

I can't imagine trying to use a solid core cable for a musical instrument if that actually means a solid core and not that someone else makes one of those liquid filled speaker cables but for instruments. It seems like a recipe for a broken wire or the cable just being far too stiff.
In the search I even ended up reading gearslutz arguments over that cable brand and how it opens up the soundscape etc etc and do cables even matter. I think that qualified as some sort of self flagellation.
Two visually identical cables can sound wildly different if you're bad enough at making them.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

If you do want something external that doesn't take up table space and you have USB-C ports, get one of these: https://www.meizu.com/en/accessory/hifipro.html

Miniaturization is crazy. Makes me wonder if it’s possible to make a “digital” phono cartridge with built in riaa eq and a dac.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

polyester concept posted:

Miniaturization is crazy. Makes me wonder if it’s possible to make a “digital” phono cartridge with built in riaa eq and a dac.

Probably not because there's not much room in them to begin with and adding more weight would make it much harder to balance.
Also, that's silly. Just put it in the tonearm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Two visually identical cables can sound wildly different if you're bad enough at making them.
You mean forget to put copper in them?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

You mean forget to put copper in them?

Copper thieves are everywhere.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You wouldn't believe how brazen copper thieves can be. The cable manufacturing plant I work at, the copper drawing department borders at a steep incline, on top of which there's a fairly large meadow. They stored a bunch of barrels of drawn wire (1mm diameter) on the outside at the incline. Over a whole weekend, some thieves rolled up with a truck onto that meadow and spooled like six of these barrels empty over two days. Apparently some crappy motorized makeshift contraption to pull a couple of wires up the incline and spool them up in bunches. Which is interesting, considering on the other side of the meadow there's a row of houses and none of them seemed to either notice or were in any way suspicious. But guess at what moment the surveillance system was upgraded, tho.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

Oh yeah it is.

What is even going on there? Is that uninsulated wire running in some weird point to point configuration between boards?
What is with the carbon looking covers over a bunch of it?
Why is it made of wood?
And is it really a R-2R dac made from completely discrete SMD resistors ? I'm not having another weird dream I can't tell apart from reality, am I?
Am I reading it right with the three cables in the $34k are for connecting a separate power supply via XLR to the DAC?
I just...
This is just reminding me of the things the Oswald Mills Audio people insist on, like the tungar bulb rectifier.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Take a quick guess as to what this is the power supply for

it's a DAC. a $5000 DAC

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How long can this thing keep running until the caps are discharged?

And what are those donut components, anyway? Since they say what I presume is Volt-Ampere?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Combat Pretzel posted:

How long can this thing keep running until the caps are discharged?

And what are those donut components, anyway? Since they say what I presume is Volt-Ampere?

Toroidal transformers for linear power supplies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if the big one is even needed or if it's just there to take up space and add mass.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bet the DAC still measures worse than the $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you want to see a masterclass in misunderstanding digital audio in the most expensive and convoluted way possible I suggest this article.

Basically dude gets a video doorbell and it makes audio streaming stutter on his wifi. The obvious solution would be to run ethernet for stuff you don't want dropoputs on. And he kind of does:

quote:

Below is a list of equipment for a basic setup:

1.2x TP-LINK MC200L Gigabit Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M multi-mode fiber, up to 550m/1800ft.
2.2x TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000-Base 850nM MMF LC/LC optical transceivers.
3.Cat 6 Ethernet cables. (I use Shunyata Research Venom as a minimum spec Ethernet cable; Shunyata Alpha or Sigma Ethernet cables will deliver notably improved audio quality.) The number required is system-dependent.
4.Tripp-Lite Duplex Multimode OM-1 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable (LC/LC termination). The length will vary with your application, but the fiber optic cable is inexpensive. For example, 30 meters costs approximately $40.
5.2x 4.5W Jameco Reliapro AC-to-DC Regulated Linear Wall Adapter 9 Volt, PN:1953639
6.Optional Cisco WS-C2960L-8TS-LL Catalyst Ethernet Switch (8-port).

Here are the steps to connect a basic fiber optical network:

1.Connect your music server/NUC/Roon Core to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Router to the Ethernet switch.
3.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the fiber media convertor.
4.Connect the optical-fiber patch cable from the upstream FMC to the downstream FMC 2 that will connect to the streamer or network bridge (length/run will depend on your setup and application).
5.Connect Ethernet cable from the downstream FMC to the streamer or network bridge.
:catstare:

quote:

Putting my scientist hat on, I went into full research mode and started reading everything I could find about digital streaming using copper Ethernent versus optical fiber. Here’s what I learned.

Consumer-grade computers contribute significant high-bandwidth RF and impulse noise from their CPUs and GPUs that audibly impacts and degrades the sound quality of a stereo system. Additionally, this high-bandwidth noise can be picked up by many speaker cables (most of which are unshielded for sound engineering reasons), which literally function as antennas for high-bandwidth noise components that are then fed backwards into the power amplifier, to be amplified as noise. Moreover, any smart devices in the home (mobile phones, Wi-Fi routers, tablets, non-audio computers, video doorbells, thermostats) also contribute to the high-bandwidth RF and impulse noise in listening rooms. Consequently, one of the most significant things you can do to improve your digital audio system is to move any computer-based music servers (laptops, Mac Minis, Intel NUCs, etc.) out of the audio rack and well away from the main system, as these devices are very dirty with respect to the noise they create. The inverse-square law pays big dividends here.

The “el cheapo” clocks in consumer-grade cable modems, network routers, Ethernet switches, and fiber media converters also contribute notable clock phase noise to the analog square wave voltages that actually comprise the digital bitstream, and the more of these devices in the configuration, the more the original signal is degraded.
:staredog:

quote:

The purpose of using optical fiber and networking devices with better clocks and power supplies is to reduce sources of noise and improve timing of bitstreams. It was originally thought that digital sources and connections were impervious to the effect of noise on audio quality; after all, they’re just 1’s and 0’s, right? What can go wrong? Well, it turns out that bitstreams are not composed of 1’s and 0’s; that is only how the data comprising the music file is encoded. What is actually transmitted from server to DAC are analog square wave voltages. As result, it turns out that…everything matters.

In my home network and system, adding the FMCs and a run of optical fiber from my router to the downstream network bridge improved the sound of my digital streaming system in notable ways. The noise floor was appreciably lower, which allowed me to hear more deeply into the music. Interestingly, I could lower the volume setting on the preamp, yet still hear as much detail and musical information as I could at louder levels. Compared to Wi-Fi or a long run of generic copper Ethernet, the soundstage was also notably more spacious, open, and airy-sounding with improved focus on individual instruments and voices. On the whole, the overall presentation was a notably more lifelike and natural-sounding digital streaming system.

The advent of the Sonore OpticalModule in the market around this time provided yet another audible level of improvement with a fiber-optic-based network. The higher-specification clock (crystal oscillator) and power supply of the OpticalModule provides improved timing and lowers the noise floor more than generic FMCs, so you get a lot less of the bad stuff and lot more of the good stuff described above. Power the OpticalModule with a good linear power supply, e.g., an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, and you’ll effectively have a state-of-the-art network system for digital streaming that will be clean, quiet, transparent, and lifelike.
:dogbutton:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You really had to post that? I threw up and now I need to lay down.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That is fuckin staggering, indistinguishable from parody.

quote:

The purpose of using optical fiber and networking devices with better clocks and power supplies is to reduce sources of noise and improve timing of bitstreams. It was originally thought that digital sources and connections were impervious to the effect of noise on audio quality; after all, they’re just 1’s and 0’s, right? What can go wrong? Well, it turns out that bitstreams are not composed of 1’s and 0’s; that is only how the data comprising the music file is encoded. What is actually transmitted from server to DAC are analog square wave voltages. As result, it turns out that…everything matters.

Edit: the Optional Cisco WS-C2960L-8TS-LL Catalyst Ethernet Switch (8-port) line is funny and leads me to believe the dingus actually got one and then had NFI how to actually use it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 18, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All over the world people are reliably transporting multiple gigabits a second over copper just fine, but loving audio at 1.4MBbit, gently caress no, that requires a CERN level setup.

Also, it still blows my mind every drat time that those idiots just can't grasp packet networks and that every device buffers packets before retransmission (being remodulated over a new circuit in case of switches and routers). Who the gently caress cares what's in between two peers, if the same bits arrive at the destination as they were at the source? Analog square wave voltages? Who the gently caress cares what the levels of the zero and one bits are, if all it does is trigger some hysteresis circuit?!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the remarkable thing about this is that he cobbled together this pile of unnecessary overspecced parts and it actually works

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

What really blows my mind is that people can apparently research and then write poo poo like that all whilst never once experiencing impostor syndrome. I suspect it's because the author and their ilk read from a very limited range of bullshit and then just extrapolate from that to understand things outside their domain.

Edit: Yeah in retrospect Dunning-Kruger is more accurate. vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 18, 2020

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dunning Kruger is a much stronger influence than imposter syndrome.

People with imposter syndrome actually know their poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What’s that old line about “don’t expect someone to listen if their living depends on not believing you?” This is this guy’s job. Even if he once thought tweako garbage was a necessary evil to keep hiding magazines in business once you spend 30+ years in an industry that only exists because other old dudes will pay big bucks if you tell them something is great it’s going to have an effect.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

quote:

Cat 6 Ethernet cables. (I use Shunyata Research Venom as a minimum spec...

Three hundred and fifty dollar Ethernet cable... THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Sigma-Ethernet-Cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibXN8d7f6gIVygiICR11lAQYEAQYAiABEgKoqvD_BwE

The Alpha is a THOUSAND?!?.. I..

ewiley fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 22, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ewiley posted:

Three hundred and fifty dollar Ethernet cable... THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Sigma-Ethernet-Cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibXN8d7f6gIVygiICR11lAQYEAQYAiABEgKoqvD_BwE

The Alpha is a THOUSAND?!?.. I..

Holy poo poo $9000 power cable

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Omega-QR-Power-Cable-20A

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

"Dark Field Suspension System"

w-hat

Also, did they patent what's essentially an unipolar capacitor?!

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10031536B2/en

--edit:
"Experimentation demonstrates that for an AC power line of 120 VAC at 60 Hz, the value should be at minimum 100 kilo-ohms while the ideal value would be approximately 3 giga-ohms."

Yeah, like that'll do anything. Might aswell put a piece of rubber in there instead.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 22, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I swear there's a niche in the market for really nice looking cables that make no performance claims and are like $20-50. Like Blue Jeans Cable but with a choice of colors.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You can charge people for a piece of shiny quartz that keeps their cables off the ground, $50 per "Resonance-Tuned Quartz Riser" (Recommended one riser per 30cm).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I swear there's a niche in the market for really nice looking cables that make no performance claims and are like $20-50. Like Blue Jeans Cable but with a choice of colors.

there really should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

there really should be

In all likelihood it's small enough that's there's just more money to be made selling the ridiculous poo poo to 5-10 people. The materials are the same, and a 50-100% markup needs a lot of sales to compete with a 5000% markup.