Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really love witch's servant...But it's been getting hard to read with mangadex making GBS threads the bed so badly.

What exactly do you mean? There weren't any issues when I was reading the new chapter just now (not saying that those issues don't exist, I'm just curious because it didn't happen to me yet).

By the way, another new chapter, with extremely important developments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carpator Diei posted:

What exactly do you mean? There weren't any issues when I was reading the new chapter just now (not saying that those issues don't exist, I'm just curious because it didn't happen to me yet).

This seems like an interesting manga, though I’m not sure how I feel about “I wanted to wear pretty clothes so the universe made me a girl”. Seems very :biotruths:.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's not really what happened.

E: I guess i'll spoil it for people who haven't read Witch's Servant but Rei became a girl through a magic spell gone wrong and his arc through the comic is pretty much him figuring out his sexuality and gender identity, partially because of said magic spell but mostly through interacting with family and friends dealing with similar things and just becoming more mature and understanding himself better.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guess I misread it then :v: It's early.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

This seems like an interesting manga, though I’m not sure how I feel about “I wanted to wear pretty clothes so the universe made me a girl”. Seems very :biotruths:.

He got a body with boobs but that doesn't necessarily make it a girl's body. He wants to be a bride but that doesn't mean he wants to be a woman. He's still figuring himself out but his character as we're meant to understand it so far is "gently caress gender essentialism, i'm going to be cute and there's nothing you can do to stop me".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CYBEReris posted:

He got a body with boobs but that doesn't necessarily make it a girl's body. He wants to be a bride but that doesn't mean he wants to be a woman. He's still figuring himself out but his character as we're meant to understand it so far is "gently caress gender essentialism, i'm going to be cute and there's nothing you can do to stop me".

I get that, I was more or less afraid that it would be the typical bullshit schlock you'd find in other manga. Glad to hear the reality is a lot more sane.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

newer chapters seem to have less of an issue displaying pages than older ones, though it still seems pretty variable

anyway for android users there's also Tachiyomi that you can get hooked into mangadex and download chapters if you want uninterrupted reading after a bit of upfront wait

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah, this was my read as well. Rei is definitely some flavor of enby and based on the stuff in this chapter has never conformed to the binary in his heart.

Also it sounds like Sauro was the one who tipped off the Inquisitors to get Arsenio burned!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

this is a comic where a character explicitly says that sex, gender and sexuality are separate things and it's only narrow-mindedness that causes people to conflate them, so you don't have to terribly worry about that

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also it sounds like Sauro was the one who tipped off the Inquisitors to get Arsenio burned!

I'm really hoping the rest of the prequel gets translated soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I get that, I was more or less afraid that it would be the typical bullshit schlock you'd find in other manga.
i understand some trepidation but at the same judging things based off preconceived notions of the artform its in instead of hat it actually does sucks a lot tbh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

i understand some trepidation but at the same judging things based off preconceived notions of the artform its in instead of hat it actually does sucks a lot tbh

Fair point. I like what I’m hearing, so I’ll give it a read, thanks!

a cartoon duck posted:

this is a comic where a character explicitly says that sex, gender and sexuality are separate things and it's only narrow-mindedness that causes people to conflate them, so you don't have to terribly worry about that

👍👍👍

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm really hoping the rest of the prequel gets translated soon.

I didn't even know about that prequel until now. Neat!

Endorph posted:

For me at least it wasn't so much an artstyle thing and more a matter of content in the first few chapters where Rei's body pretty much just gets sexualized a whole lot. I found the tonal shift a few chapters in really staggering (in a very good way).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dogsicle posted:

newer chapters seem to have less of an issue displaying pages than older ones, though it still seems pretty variable

anyway for android users there's also Tachiyomi that you can get hooked into mangadex and download chapters if you want uninterrupted reading after a bit of upfront wait

The previous host that cached the image archives no longer is able to host them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

I didn't even know about that prequel until now. Neat!

For me at least it wasn't so much an artstyle thing and more a matter of content in the first few chapters where Rei's body pretty much just gets sexualized a whole lot. I found the tonal shift a few chapters in really staggering (in a very good way).

Yeah same. It's a really drat bad start.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The prequel ("Memories of a Theocracy") can be found here, by the way, for those who may have missed it and are interested in seeing how Arsenio and Sauro met and became friends.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Last chapter of all of humanity is yuri except for me was posted, is it any good?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Almost fully caught up with Witch's servant and I have some mixed feelings on this current arc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but it seems kinda weird for the series to clearly understand how your physical body and your gender/sexual orientation aren't linked yet having Arsenio act so different as a girl and instantly fall in love with his friend kinda rubs me the wrong way...I'm not even opposed to it in concept, just him suddenly getting all emotional and girly when there was 0 of that at all with his personality before seems weird. IDK.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like Eric. Eric is cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, you got me. Witch's Servant is pretty loving great.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ooh, Lloyd!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pity about the first like, 10 chapters though. I'm glad they toned that poo poo down.

Edit: Another thing I appreciate is how it makes España out to be genuinely lovely. It's quite stark how easily the soldiers go from fawning over Alma to instantly trying to murder the poo poo out of them as soon as Banderilla comes out. That's definitely Iberian catholicism.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 10, 2020

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Almost fully caught up with Witch's servant and I have some mixed feelings on this current arc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but it seems kinda weird for the series to clearly understand how your physical body and your gender/sexual orientation aren't linked yet having Arsenio act so different as a girl and instantly fall in love with his friend kinda rubs me the wrong way...I'm not even opposed to it in concept, just him suddenly getting all emotional and girly when there was 0 of that at all with his personality before seems weird. IDK.

given every time Arsenio mentioned or thought about Sauro he had a wistful smile on his face, i'm pretty sure the intention was that he was always in love with him, but his catholic upbringing meant he basically refused to acknowledge his feelings as romantic.

as for acting differently in a female body, i'm still waiting to see how they act when Arsenio's in a male body. dude's always been pretty passive romantically and easily flustered and Sauro is uh, pretty aggressive in his pursuit so those are probably bigger factors than having a different body

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I confess I basically have negative interest in the prequel since that's just going to be Life In Fundieland

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rody One Half posted:

I confess I basically have negative interest in the prequel since that's just going to be Life In Fundieland

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Having read the chapters currently translated, yeah that's pretty accurate. It certainly doesn't have any of the original manga's LGBTQ+ content (at least not yet). I still enjoyed it, it's a good story with a great sense of comedic timing, but it's basically a different genre than Witch's Servant.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

when i heard there was a prequel comic i hoped it was about Vivian prior to contracting thornitis and not set in super catholic land. kinda put it on the backburner when i found out

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Arsenio is definitely really gay for Sauro from the start. I think a big part of it is that Arsenio grew up with 1. rigid ideas about gender and sexuality and 2. lots of self-loathing from being labeled a monster and getting tortured/killed by his own religion. When he gets a girl's body, all the big gay feelings he has for Sauro are less taboo, and narratively he's disguised as a girl to get the key back so he is also playing with ideas like "should I ask him out on a date to see if I can find the key?" which is breaking down some of those mental barriers as well. He's also actively getting hit on by Sauro, which he's never had before. Another factor I think is that they mention since he was enchanted by wind magic, he's become smaller and daintier, which could psychologically prime him to express more vulnerable parts of himself that he normally kept locked away.

i can't believe a manga that started out with a horny fetlife cow king turned into the story i've felt the most representation in ever

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cephas posted:

Arsenio is definitely really gay for Sauro from the start. I think a big part of it is that Arsenio grew up with 1. rigid ideas about gender and sexuality and 2. lots of self-loathing from being labeled a monster and getting tortured/killed by his own religion. When he gets a girl's body, all the big gay feelings he has for Sauro are less taboo, and narratively he's disguised as a girl to get the key back so he is also playing with ideas like "should I ask him out on a date to see if I can find the key?" which is breaking down some of those mental barriers as well. He's also actively getting hit on by Sauro, which he's never had before. Another factor I think is that they mention since he was enchanted by wind magic, he's become smaller and daintier, which could psychologically prime him to express more vulnerable parts of himself that he normally kept locked away.

i can't believe a manga that started out with a horny fetlife cow king turned into the story i've felt the most representation in ever

And I mean, hormones are strong stuff. After going on HRT I was able to cry for the first time in a long time--or maybe it was the excuse helped me break that psychological barrier from my childhood. So it could be a mix.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I just want to remind everyone of all the times Arsenio talked about how hot he thinks Lloyd and Sauro when he wasn't transformed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still like Eric the most, he's hilarious and cool and relatable.

a cartoon duck posted:

Eric explicitly identifies as a man. the translation also uses "he" for Rei, but from what i'm told apparently Japanese doesn't use gendered pronouns the way English does, so the translator has to make judgement calls there and you could argue that "they" would be more appropriate.

Fixed!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 11, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The prequel isnt really overtly as lgbt so far but like Aresino def feels like he has some buried interest in Sauro in that as well

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Eric explicitly identifies as a man. the translation also uses "he" for Rei, but from what i'm told apparently Japanese doesn't use gendered pronouns the way English does, so the translator has to make judgement calls there and you could argue that "they" would be more appropriate.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Seems like the well of untranslated Witch's Servant chapters hasn't quite dried up yet. In another "I can't believe how far this has come since the first chapters" move, King Bull might actually be turning into a compelling character.

Also, Eric's new outfit is just the absolute cutest thing :kimchi:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished Beauty & the Beast Girl, which was short but cute. Would recommend as a snack.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Arsenio Rei Lloyd Eric King Bull is a horndog who takes good care of the people around him and mercilessly fights a recurring enemy to gain ownership over a pair of body parts.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
More Witch's Servant. Sauro certainly has priorities.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just read The Real Her and now I'm dead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of Witch's Servant, I found this by poking around in the comments section just now. It's short web VN thing that I guess was used as an advertisement back around April Fool's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just read The Real Her and now I'm dead.

Its so goooooooooooooood!!!!