Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Now now, they’re not ignoring it

they’re dismissing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This is Goon/Redditor levels of DIY health solutions

cachestash 7 hours ago [–]

You're all going to think I am a crazy, but I instead elected to tape my mouth closed with 3m tape right when I go to bed. This to me is superior and should be your first port. Not only did it fix my apnoea and huge lack of energy during the day, but also my chronic sinus issues that had plagued me for years. Its also a lot cheaper, much easier to use / travel with and gets me into a good habit of nose breathing during the day. A CPAP machine is still reinforcing the poor habit that may well have contributed to your sleep abnormalities in the first place. Mouth Breathing. It costs $2 for a roll of 3m tape, so it's not like it costs a lot if its really not working for you.

Mouth breathing is horrendous for your health and well being. There is a good reason why it was ostracized in the past ("mouth breather" was an insult). It was a clear sign of poor health in an individual.
It's one of the best unknown health hacks out there.

https://askthedentist.com/mouth-tape-better-sleep/

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

that man is going to kill himself

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
he should try a superglue that dissolves with alcohol

that way there’s no risk of accidentally busting the tape and opening his mouth back up at night

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is Goon/Redditor levels of DIY health solutions

cachestash 7 hours ago [–]

You're all going to think I am a crazy, but I instead elected to tape my mouth closed with 3m tape right when I go to bed. This to me is superior and should be your first port. Not only did it fix my apnoea and huge lack of energy during the day, but also my chronic sinus issues that had plagued me for years. Its also a lot cheaper, much easier to use / travel with and gets me into a good habit of nose breathing during the day. A CPAP machine is still reinforcing the poor habit that may well have contributed to your sleep abnormalities in the first place. Mouth Breathing. It costs $2 for a roll of 3m tape, so it's not like it costs a lot if its really not working for you.

Mouth breathing is horrendous for your health and well being. There is a good reason why it was ostracized in the past ("mouth breather" was an insult). It was a clear sign of poor health in an individual.
It's one of the best unknown health hacks out there.

https://askthedentist.com/mouth-tape-better-sleep/

i can't tell if this is stupid or genius.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah sometimes I’ve wondered about hostages with tape over their mouths in movies if they had a cold

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

uncurable mlady posted:

i can't tell if this is stupid or genius.

ill give you a hint

it's not the second one

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

that is insanely dangerous but “killed self with crackpot sleep apnea treatment invented by the decedent” is the most hackernews way to die possible, except maybe for hyperventilating to death after being noticed by Paul Graham

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

yeah sometimes I’ve wondered about hostages with tape over their mouths in movies if they had a cold

same

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Nomnom Cookie posted:

that is insanely dangerous but “killed self with crackpot sleep apnea treatment invented by the decedent” is the most hackernews way to die possible, except maybe for hyperventilating to death after being noticed by Paul Graham

deathhack

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Whoever eventually finds his body is going to assume the cause of death was autoerotic asphyxiation

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

oh my god the boots are being licked from inside the house

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1269267561885171719

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mrmcd posted:

*black people start open carrying to defend their communities*

"no not like that"

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

mrmcd posted:

lmao nypd did that a couple years ago and crime fell

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mrmcd posted:

tens of thousands of car break-ins remain completely unadressed, thousands of homeless people go unhassled. seems like a win to me :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
response from someone who actually lives in Minneapolis

https://twitter.com/iancoldwater/status/1269446689343102976

https://twitter.com/iancoldwater/status/1268537315267424261

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i think paul "9/11 is a buffer overflow" ghram is an idiot

edit: just found it again and it's still just as bad as i remembered, written at some point still in September 2001

quote:

If you want to defend against hijackings, the problem you're trying to solve is one that programmers know well: the buffer overflow attack.

In a buffer overflow attack, someone gives a program much more data than it was expecting. The data is too long for the memory allocated for it and overflows into the memory occupied by the program itself. Suddenly the computer is running the attacker's code.

In a hijacking, the same thing happens to a plane. A plane has two separate spaces, one for the people carried on it, and one for the people who control it. A hijacking happens when passengers overflow into the cockpit from the cabin. What was cargo is now in control. By promoting themselves from data to code, hijackers on September 11th promoted box-cutters into 400,000 lb. incendiary bombs.

How do programmers solve the problem? There are two defenses, one that works and one that doesn't.

The defense that doesn't work is to check the data on the way in, to make sure it isn't longer than the memory set aside for it. The problem here is that you might forget to check, or do it incorrectly. And in fact this happens all the time. Everyone has known about buffer overflow for at least 15 years, and still software gets written that is vulnerable to it.

The defense that does work is to keep code and data in separate places. Then there is no way to compromise code by playing tricks with data. Garbage-collected languages like Perl and Lisp do this, and as a result are immune from buffer overflow attacks.

To programmers, at least, this would suggest that the most reliable way to prevent hijackings is to separate the cockpit from the cabin. You still need to watch who gets on the plane, to prevent people from simply blowing it up. But as long as you keep passengers out of the cockpit you can prevent anyone taking control of the plane.

It might be enough just to keep the cockpit door locked, and make it strong enough that to get through it you'd need something harder to smuggle onboard a plane than a box-cutter.

I'm sure the government is working on the problem. I just hope they understand as well as we do that it is never enough just to check what comes in.

Pardot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 7, 2020

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
pg: *points at painting* lisp
pg: *points at seagull flying past* lisp
pg: *points at social injustice* venture capital

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My brain shutdown after the first couple paragraphs. Obviously I am not a VC unicorn material

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

echinopsis posted:

that's a scene in infinite jest

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pardot posted:

i think paul "9/11 is a buffer overflow" ghram is an idiot

edit: just found it again and it's still just as bad as i remembered, written at some point still in September 2001

a fun game to play is to post this on twitter and see if he replies, apparently

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i was chuckling at his technical description of buffer overflows and then remembered that in 2001 there really still were a lot of operating systems with poo poo like executable stacks, so it’s only 95% hilariously wrong

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/russellbrandom/status/1270065351502508033

orly
Oct 2, 2005

hn being composed primarily of male karens i guess

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rancho santa fe has an average house price of single digit millions not startingn w a 1, its san diegos menlo park

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

How the ‘Magic: The Gathering’ Color Wheel Explains Humanity

Move over, Myers-Briggs

[a million words and pictures about magic the gathering colors having something very important to say about human personalities and how this breakthrough transformed the author's life]

holy poo poo what's wrong with people

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

holy poo poo what's wrong with people

too much self-centering, not enough mindful action

or in mtg terms (checks) too much black, not enough whi... uh maybe let's go back to tarot

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

White puts value in the group, the community, and its civilization as a whole. White's ultimate goal is peace — a world where there is no unnecessary suffering, a world where life is as good as it can be for each individual, a world where everyone gets along and no one seeks to disturb the bonds of unity that White had worked so long to forge. A White organization may believe in order and ethics, enforcing its beliefs through government, religion, and other large-scale institutions. However, a White individual may mirror this on a smaller scale, such as preferring their family eat together at the dinner table, putting value in dining etiquette and proper manners. An organized character is not automatically White. A character that values organization, however, may be. If the character spends a great deal of time around Black characters, they will likely do some things that can be considered selfish or outright Black. This does not make them Black, as they may have been suffering under peer pressure, they may have lost or may be losing sight of morality, they may not be entirely aware of what they're doing, or they could perhaps be in the process of reconsidering their own views and making a shift into or toward the color. Black characters will do anything to ensure their own well-being even at the expense of others; to black, anything less only allows others to do the same. Thus, black does everything possible to gain the only commodity that can secure it from weakness — power.

i can see the attraction of this philosophy, to some

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:yikes:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
still better than myers-briggs tbh

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
if dopamine is the pleasure chemical, testosterone is the crime chemical

jlawson 13 minutes ago [–]

The other way is to just keep criminals in prison until they age enough that their hormones change and they no longer feel the urge to violence.

The good thing about this is that it works very consistently and predictably. If he's in prison, he can't rape, murder, or brutalize anyone else (prison crime notwithstanding).

Human males naturally enter their criminal phase around age 16 and exit it around 30-35. The factors governing this are biological and can literally be measured in the bloodstream. The stuff you're talking about can help some people, but for many... you can't train someone into lower testosterone levels.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, Clockwork Orange wasn't a documentary, shot in real-time?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
im in the criminal phase :getin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

im in the criminal phase :getin:

same :hfive:

mystes
May 31, 2006

salisbury shake posted:

if dopamine is the pleasure chemical, testosterone is the crime chemical

jlawson 13 minutes ago [–]

The other way is to just keep criminals in prison until they age enough that their hormones change and they no longer feel the urge to violence.

The good thing about this is that it works very consistently and predictably. If he's in prison, he can't rape, murder, or brutalize anyone else (prison crime notwithstanding).

Human males naturally enter their criminal phase around age 16 and exit it around 30-35. The factors governing this are biological and can literally be measured in the bloodstream. The stuff you're talking about can help some people, but for many... you can't train someone into lower testosterone levels.

This is written in typical hn style but I'm actually surprised to see an HN comment saying that men aged 16-35 are less than 100% perfect in every way.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

do you really think that poster is talking about all men 16-35, or maybe just ones with a certain ethnic background

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do you really think that poster is talking about all men 16-35, or maybe just ones with a certain ethnic background
Ah yeah yo're right. I was imagining it being like some sort of feminist "testosterone poisoning" thing, but I guess it being HN they weren't actually suggesting that all men age 16-35 should be put in prison.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rich white men don't stop committing crimes at 35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Only a couple years and I'll be too old for crime :smugdog: