Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm not composing a serious, detailed list because then I would end up like that One Angry Gamer guy and his "Traitors of America" list.

Sanderson is fine but you could omit the first 400 pages of his biggest books and miss nothing.

the problem with OAG isn't that he's trying to list malicious actors, it's that his definition of "malicious actor" is batshit insane and basically means anyone who has good opinions.

meanwhile, your definition is people who have uniquely bad opinions and/or have done really heinous poo poo, so if you made a list it would actually have some value beyond being a subject of mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Probably the most sexual thing I've seen from Sanderson is a country girl and a sheltered, naive god-king attempting to mate for the sole purpose of bearing a child for the ruling party of the kingdom and it's written to be every bit as awkward and clumsy as you might imagine.

Also the fact that Lucahjin of all people is on OAG's hit list is hilarious beyond belief.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone should really just read Tolkien and then never any other fantasy work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah I like Sanderson better. It’s more fun with less racism to boot

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hard counter posted:

the green berets does stand out as awful propaganda and despite being a giant rear end in a top hat irl, john wayne probably isn't the best overall example tho - looking at his career as a whole anyway

it was on the tail end of his career that he snagged his one and only oscar for true grit, wayne's performance with katharine hepburn in its sequel, rooster cogburn, is also considered one his best as he greatly benefited from playing against one cinema's greatest actresses, he had classic films like the cowboys where he's an old man clearly trying to pass on the torch to a younger generation and the shootist is considered one of the greatest last film swan songs of any actor period - it's like tailor made as a big send-off for john wayne - and by this point he'd found his routine so even his less notable films like big jake, chisum or rio lobo pleased audience subsets who still couldn't get enough of the duke

wayne's much more of a miller than a scotts all things considered

sadly true; in his lifetime he hardly dealt with any consequences for his actions and in his time he died mostly beloved, relatively speaking, despite there being worthier icons

He made Rio Bravo in response to High Noon, which he considered to be anti-American propaganda.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Was it Terry Goodkind or Piers Anthony that had the book where the main character is tortured by the dominatrix with the magical pain fuckstick? I remember they turned the series into a show, but I'm not googling any of those combinations of words.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone should really just read The Hobbit and then never any other Tolkien work

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

christmas boots posted:

He made Rio Bravo in response to High Noon, which he considered to be anti-American propaganda.

it's a weird little story tbh, high noon made wayne so mad he furiously wrote editorials for a while and sent several personal letters to fred zinnemann, the man who directed high noon, telling him how un-american the movie was and that it made him feel sick to his stomach - the fact that high noon was also critically acclaimed eventually made john wayne so super, duper, trump-on-twitter mad he made rio bravo as a kind of take-down of the awful, awful ideas found in high noon

what did high noon do that made wayne so angry? an ex-sheriff had to postpone retirement to deal with a gang by himself because he failed to rally the community around him to form a posse, and ultimately he had to be saved by his pacifistic quaker wife, meaning the ex-sheriff was essentially abandoned by his fellow citizens... that's it, that's apparently the most un-american thing ever put on film

the weird thing is, rio bravo was not an incoherent mess like you'd think it would be given it was made in meteoric anger, it ultimately came to be nearly - but not quite - as well-received as high noon

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That last sentence fragment is the best part. I hope all the reviews said "Rio Bravo: Almost, but not quite as good as, High Noon"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyperhazard posted:

Was it Terry Goodkind or Piers Anthony that had the book where the main character is tortured by the dominatrix with the magical pain fuckstick? I remember they turned the series into a show, but I'm not googling any of those combinations of words.

Goodkind

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what about Samuel R Delany

I liked Dhalgren

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

hard counter posted:

what did high noon do that made wayne so angry? an ex-sheriff had to postpone retirement to deal with a gang by himself because he failed to rally the community around him to form a posse, and ultimately he had to be saved by his pacifistic quaker wife, meaning the ex-sheriff was essentially abandoned by his fellow citizens... that's it, that's apparently the most un-american thing ever put on film

John Wayne posted:

“High Noon (1952) was the most un-American thing I have ever seen in my whole life. The last thing in the picture is ol' Coop [Gary Cooper] putting the United States marshal's badge under his foot and stepping on it. I'll never regret having run [screenwriter Carl Foreman] out of this country”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when John Wayne portrayed a soldier in the pictures while actual soldiers from many countries were being killed by nazis?

never ever forget that

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

verbal enema posted:

what about Samuel R Delany

I liked Dhalgren

Unfortunately, he's defended pedophilia in gay relationships and NAMBLA. Seems more like personal trauma than gross philosophy but uh, still yikes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the_steve posted:

Yeah, Mr. Floppy.

And oh poo poo, didn't know about that movie. I'll have to look it up.
Honestly, all I remember of Bobcat's work was Unhappily, and Bobcat's Bigass Show, which is probably another contender for not aging well if I were to venture a guess.
Well that and ReBoot. What!?

Im two pages back but isn't this the movie that ends with implied Bigfoot rape? Or is that a different Bigfoot found footage movie?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is Dean Koontz a white supremacist or a chill guy?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pieces of Peace posted:

Unfortunately, he's defended pedophilia in gay relationships and NAMBLA. Seems more like personal trauma than gross philosophy but uh, still yikes.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Im looking at Kidd and Denny's relationship much differently

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
John Wayne played Ghenghis Khan. So there's that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Torquemada posted:

This made me check something, and yep, ‘Song Of The South’ has people on IMDB clamouring for a re-release. It has 93 ‘10’ scores, from people who don’t see what the problem is, against 6 scores of 3 or below.

They do sell Song of the South, just not in the US. I saw a DVD of it on sale at my local bookstore, and took a picture of it, which is somewhere on my phone from a couple years ago.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
The only fantasy we need is "Wizard People, Dear Reader" and if you don't agree then I wish you luck on not hating your parents for mixing up such an unthinkable person.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GoutPatrol posted:

They do sell Song of the South, just not in the US. I saw a DVD of it on sale at my local bookstore, and took a picture of it, which is somewhere on my phone from a couple years ago.

It was sold on VHS in Europe and on laserdisc in Japan (which I bought about 30 years ago). Any DVD of the movie you see will be a PAL conversion unless I missed something.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Im two pages back but isn't this the movie that ends with implied Bigfoot rape? Or is that a different Bigfoot found footage movie?

I didn't think so, but I looked it up and: the woman's boyfriend gets killed, she's dragged through the woods and dropped off in front of a naked human lady. It's all very jumbled and quick and honestly I must have blinked when I watched because I missed the naked human lady So make of that what will you.

Mister Kingdom posted:

and it was filmed on a nuclear test site, and like 80% of the people who worked on it died of horrible cancers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Goodkind

yeah uh

the stuff on that woman tells me they were already laying the ground work for the s&m stuff later, you don't SEE neck corsets like that outside of kink circles and high fashion

e: i said this and totally missed the whole holding a guy on a leash thing, lol

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

WaywardWoodwose posted:

The only fantasy we need is "Wizard People, Dear Reader" and if you don't agree then I wish you luck on not hating your parents for mixing up such an unthinkable person.

it does a wonderful job of letting you watch a better version of harry potter without having to read words written by jk rowling

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ookiimarukochan posted:

On the plus side he has some Good views on racism / transphobia, on the minus side I think it's been a good 40 years since he last wrote a book that didn't have a sexy child on the prowl for an adult man.

He's a pedophile, OP.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Arivia posted:

yeah uh

the stuff on that woman tells me they were already laying the ground work for the s&m stuff later, you don't SEE neck corsets like that outside of kink circles and high fashion

e: i said this and totally missed the whole holding a guy on a leash thing, lol

In the book, she uses a dildo that is also a taser (that was used by that dude's dad to train her to be a slave so that she could then be a dominatrix) to magically make people her BDSM slaves, no matter how powerful a wizard they are (that dude is The Most Powerful Everything Who Is Always Right). She always wears it around her neck (the dude's dad has a palace full of the dildo-taser dommes; they also wear blood-red leather so that the blood doesn't show when they hurt people).

Goodkind is, I cannot stress this enough, hosed up.

The saving grace of the show, apparently (haven't seen it), is that they realized that Goodkind was hosed up and decided to just go over-the-top with it and made it silly and entertaining instead of being a faithful adaptation of the books.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jun 11, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm reading a book about weird theater kid space erotica in scifi wifi and I was sort of down on the sex weirdness but it's so quaint compared to what I remember mainstream genre fiction sex weirdness is so I'm sorry for being down on the sex weirdness in that book. i am truly sorry.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Where would Ray Bradbury be on this list? He's pretty much my favorite author and I don't remember if I've heard anything really bad or controversial about him, but I probably missed something. I seem to remember he supported GWB, or at least he got excited when Bush said something about wanting to send astronauts to Mars, and got upset that Michael Moore copied the name of one of his books when he came up with the name "Fahrenheit 9/11" (a man with books titled "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "I Sing The Body Electric" getting angry at somebody evoking a title from a work by another writer...).

Bradbury wrote The Other Foot, which appeared in The Illustrated Man. The story was that Mars had been colonized by Black settlers. After encountering a spaceship of white settlers, they go Jim Crow on their rear end. But after discussing it among themselves, they drop that because the Black settlers aren't terrible people and believe that everyone should be treated equally.

The Illustrated Man was published in 1951, when separate but equal was still legal so it was a decently bold statement.

I Sing the Body Electric includes the Tomorrow's Child. When a couple's child is born different - it's Bradbury, so different is a blue pyramid with tentacles - the parents worry about it being accepted by society. So they transform themselves into blue pyramids with tentacles. They'll never be accepted by society, but their child now has beings like itself.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Harlan Ellison is a weird case because his fiction is really progressive and inclusive and obviously the result of his deeply held views, but the man was a lunatic creep with major anger issues.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ellison obviously had some pretty big personal demons, but, at least according to the producer of the game adaptation of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, was a decent guy if you got to know him.

I get the impression Ellison's biggest thing was severe social anxiety given he was such a recluse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

beats for junkies posted:

In the book, she uses a dildo that is also a taser (that was used by that dude's dad to train her to be a slave so that she could then be a dominatrix) to magically make people her BDSM slaves, no matter how powerful a wizard they are (that dude is The Most Powerful Everything Who Is Always Right). She always wears it around her neck (the dude's dad has a palace full of the dildo-taser dommes; they also wear blood-red leather so that the blood doesn't show when they hurt people).

The saving grace of the show, apparently (haven't seen it), is that they realized that Goodkind was hosed up and decided to just go over-the-top with it and made it silly and entertaining instead of being a faithful adaptation of the books.

Goodkind can’t help being depraved, he’s English

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

IIRC, Goodkind hated the tv show so much he likened it to watching his daughter get sexually assaulted.

Like, he literally tried to draw a line connecting these two things.

So yeah, Terry has some issues. Plus he's a grade a douchebag.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bradbury wrote The Other Foot, which appeared in The Illustrated Man. The story was that Mars had been colonized by Black settlers. After encountering a spaceship of white settlers, they go Jim Crow on their rear end. But after discussing it among themselves, they drop that because the Black settlers aren't terrible people and believe that everyone should be treated equally.

The Illustrated Man was published in 1951, when separate but equal was still legal so it was a decently bold statement.

I Sing the Body Electric includes the Tomorrow's Child. When a couple's child is born different - it's Bradbury, so different is a blue pyramid with tentacles - the parents worry about it being accepted by society. So they transform themselves into blue pyramids with tentacles. They'll never be accepted by society, but their child now has beings like itself.

Sorry, it's 2020 and we can't have anything nice.

quote:

How does the story of Fahrenheit 451 stand up in 1994?
R.B.: It works even better because we have political correctness now. Political correctness is the real enemy these days. The black groups want to control our thinking and you can't say certain things. The homosexual groups don't want you to criticize them. It's thought control and freedom of speech control.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jun 11, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

for once

for once

for like literally once

in ever online

this is actually an appropriate time to apply death of the author

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 because he hated television

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RC and Moon Pie posted:

darkwasthenight posted:

It's just really hosed up, because this is the same guy who published Way in the Middle of the Air in 1950. Four years before The Hanging Stranger, and way more explicit.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

the_steve posted:

IIRC, Goodkind hated the tv show so much he likened it to watching his daughter get sexually assaulted.

Like, he literally tried to draw a line connecting these two things.

So yeah, Terry has some issues. Plus he's a grade a douchebag.

I think that reaction just proves my earlier assumption is correct: that the show is good and fun and entertaining, and not a faithful adaptation of the books, which are none of those things. :)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think that reaction just proves my earlier assumption is correct: that the show is good and fun and entertaining, and not a faithful adaptation of the books, which are none of those things. :)

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, coming from him that's a ringing endorsement.

I was just mentioning that he picked the absolute worst possible way to phrase the fact that he doesn't like it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I quit it after season 2 but I think everything about Veronica Mars rape is just bad and it's weird how the show wants you to pitty the characters involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Kingdom posted:

They filmed this in a nuclear test site and everyone got cancer iirc