Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
https://twitter.com/justinsteven/status/1270113960021209088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

It sounds like once it rotated it was OK but before then it was using 0

maybe I misinterpreted this tweet?

https://twitter.com/__agwa/status/1270076719819558912

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Oh I didn't see that last one, you're right.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My interpretation was that the master key was okay, but before the first rotation it was using all-0s as the ticket key.

The issue with the rotation scheme that the gnu folks chose is that even if it were implemented correctly, it would provide no actual security - an attacker that gained access to the master key would be able to derive all previous ticket keys and use them to decrypt previously-captured data.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

My interpretation was that the master key was okay, but before the first rotation it was using all-0s as the ticket key.

The issue with the rotation scheme that the gnu folks chose is that even if it were implemented correctly, it would provide no actual security - an attacker that gained access to the master key would be able to derive all previous ticket keys and use them to decrypt previously-captured data.

TOTP is supposed to be protected against leaks of other keys not the master key (TOTP still makes no sense for this)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

apseudonym posted:

TOTP is supposed to be protected against leaks of other keys not the master key (TOTP still makes no sense for this)

Half the reason you rotate your ticket keys is so that someone who compromises your server can't use the information they discover to read every single message ever sent to it that they've got squirreled away in a datacenter somewhere - they only get the stuff proximate to when they compromised the server.

That doesn't work if every single ticket key is trivially derived from the master key that the server also holds.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

Half the reason you rotate your ticket keys is so that someone who compromises your server can't use the information they discover to read every single message ever sent to it that they've got squirreled away in a datacenter somewhere - they only get the stuff proximate to when they compromised the server.

That doesn't work if every single ticket key is trivially derived from the master key that the server also holds.

Yeah, TOTP doesn't make sense here

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

GNU's Not Understanding Their Laughable Software

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Raere posted:

:hmmyes:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Raere posted:

gnu noodles

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's absolutely amazing what you can uncover when a URL shortener has sequential IDs

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/06/dark-basin-uncovering-a-massive-hack-for-hire-operation/

quote:

Key Findings

Dark Basin is a hack-for-hire group that has targeted thousands of individuals and hundreds of institutions on six continents. Targets include advocacy groups and journalists, elected and senior government officials, hedge funds, and multiple industries.
Dark Basin extensively targeted American nonprofits, including organisations working on a campaign called #ExxonKnew, which asserted that ExxonMobil hid information about climate change for decades.
We also identify Dark Basin as the group behind the phishing of organizations working on net neutrality advocacy, previously reported by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
We link Dark Basin with high confidence to an Indian company, BellTroX InfoTech Services, and related entities.
Citizen Lab has notified hundreds of targeted individuals and institutions and, where possible, provided them with assistance in tracking and identifying the campaign. At the request of several targets, Citizen Lab shared information about their targeting with the US Department of Justice (DOJ). We are in the process of notifying additional targets.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Raere posted:

drat, son

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Raere posted:

is gnu/tls included with gnu/linux?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

is gnu/tls included with gnu/linux?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUSvSUsx80

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Raere posted:

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Shame Boy posted:

when i got a new yubikey for my usb-c laptop (p sure that's a yubikey 5 model) i generated ed25519 keys on it and it's fine with that :shrug:

Good to know, thanks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, crosstalk is meltre et al except this time it's across cpu core bounderies not per-core thread bounderies.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raere posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

D. Ebdrup posted:

Welp, crosstalk is meltre et al except this time it's across cpu core bounderies not per-core thread bounderies.

just avoid executing malicious code what's the big deal

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

redleader posted:

just avoid executing any code what's the big deal

:hmmyes:

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

redleader posted:

Your job offer from Apple is on its way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

redleader posted:

gently caress

i never

brb, writing a conference talk

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm getting bored of Intel architectural vulnerabilities. C'mon give us something interesting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raere posted:

I'm getting bored of Intel architectural vulnerabilities. C'mon give us something interesting

apple doing their own chips will be good for some tremendous lols if that pans out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/CrookedNuts/status/1270280225276993538

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

powerful self-own energy

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

apple doing their own chips will be good for some tremendous lols if that pans out.

apple's been designing its own chips since 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i had to enable voice callback MFA for a single co-worker in a Duo account because the guy has a fuckin iPhone 5 in TYOOL 2020 which he can't install the app on. i deliberately disabled voice callback and SMS OTP in the account because they're less secure than push MFA smdh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if it matters that much then buy them a work phone

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

well yeah ideally my employer should do that but they don't

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RdRand-3-Percent

Intel still footgunnin' themselves at any given opportunity.

Progressive JPEG posted:

if it matters that much then buy them a work phone
:mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It gets worse:

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1270642703542317056?s=20

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the PoC of the leak this patches is hilariously simple too

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1270570295884038145

intel: "sensitive data can share an internal register with non-sensitive data, right?"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

At what point does this start to move the needle for amd chips in servers?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Being in mind that I haven't really read anything, why would this RDRAND mitigation be enabled by default on Linux, where rdrand gets mixed with every other source of entropy despite all that one Intel guy's campaigning years ago ... Instead of just lowering its entropy score a bit?

Or is the mitigation not on by default and phoronix is just doing their thing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kazinsal posted:

the PoC of the leak this patches is hilariously simple too

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1270570295884038145

intel: "sensitive data can share an internal register with non-sensitive data, right?"

shared register can have a little sensitive data

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the mitigation is enabled by default because applications can use the RDRAND instruction directly

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i had to enable voice callback MFA for a single co-worker in a Duo account because the guy has a fuckin iPhone 5 in TYOOL 2020 which he can't install the app on. i deliberately disabled voice callback and SMS OTP in the account because they're less secure than push MFA smdh

congrats you work with stymie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lmao your company fucks up the entire org's security posture to save $200

or was this just for his account and the rest are still disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao your company fucks up the entire org's security posture to save $200

or was this just for his account and the rest are still disabled?

But doctor, the user with the iPhone5 is Domain Admin!