Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Maybe stop talking about him and giving him attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

On the other hand, the stupid net nazi's kill "traitor" list has more than a bunch of cool people who also deserve supporting, of which doing so has been fun to watch people rub in their face.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

sterling? jim sterling? jim the anti-chud sterling. how does he have a chud fanbase?

Pretty much anyone who has an anger streak picks up that crowd. It's kind of like when a dog is barking and someone starts shouting at it to stop, but the dog keeps going because it thinks that person is agreeing with them.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

from now on, when i hear a dog barking i'll yell i agree instead of stop

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I appreciate Pat’s exasperation/amusement about all the chuds who either think he’s one of them or think he can be won over through recruitment tactics.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The Lord of Hats posted:

I appreciate Pat’s exasperation/amusement about all the chuds who either think he’s one of them or think he can be won over through recruitment tactics.

To be fair, isn't Paige friends with some Alt Right people?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
More that she works with some I think? I forget how that whole thing is linked, some kinda stage/podcast/radio bullshit or something. All I remember is that she owned one of them in a mustard chugging competition.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pat doesn't understand vorthos

timmy, johnny, spike, vorthos and melvin apply to all forms of competitive gaming, not just card games. if you have trouble identifying with vorthos, imagine playing makoto because the concept of a punch gal is really appealing to you, instead of deciding entirely based on how much you like grab set ups. it's not just scrubs either, in guilty gear, the best faust player, nage, picked faust when he first started playing because he thought the bag man was really funny

here's a good video explaining how this translates to fighting games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ztzKKNa6IY

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nalesh posted:

More that she works with some I think? I forget how that whole thing is linked, some kinda stage/podcast/radio bullshit or something. All I remember is that she owned one of them in a mustard chugging competition.

She works with Asterios Kokkinos (yes, the one that use to post front page articles here until people made fun of him) and they're friends with Dick Masterson, whose online gimmick was basically being a proto men's rights activist before real idiots started sincerely voicing the same opinions in large online communities. She was invited onto the Ralph Retort's Killstream podcast through them and got into a bunch of twitter arguments because it's stupid as gently caress to go onto an alt-right guy's awful podcast even if you disagree with him politically, and Paige has never found a hill she wasn't willing to die on rather than admit something's a terrible idea.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it was mostly exacerbated by Paige denying any of them had ever said anything wrong and even if they did she has left wing friends and you're all just accusing her of thought crime anyway.

She doubled down on it HARD.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
The worst part of the 'let's have a calm, logical and completely reasonable discussion about [insane belief here]' types that pat staved off in DMs is that people are entirely, easily fooled by it on a regular basis and they wouldn't try it if it didn't work. The whole joke about :decorum: stems from the fact that it works on people with little to no skin in the game other than the appearance of sanity to other people with nothing to lose by weighing in

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wallrod posted:

The worst part of the 'let's have a calm, logical and completely reasonable discussion about [insane belief here]' types that pat staved off in DMs is that people are entirely, easily fooled by it on a regular basis and they wouldn't try it if it didn't work. The whole joke about :decorum: stems from the fact that it works on people with little to no skin in the game other than the appearance of sanity to other people with nothing to lose by weighing in
Essentially this:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxyclean posted:

Essentially this:

yeah I've tried pointing out to other sites that allow horrible shitheads to post on them that letting someone be a massive racist or general bigot and then only punishing the people who rightfully flip their poo poo at the hatred is super loving backwards and gross, referencing that image to help convey what I mean. lotta tone policing on the internet rather than dealing with the content of the messages. it, of course, never works though.

SA is a lot better about it than other sites, but still let bullshitters go too long sometimes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 10, 2020

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

pat doesn't understand vorthos

timmy, johnny, spike, vorthos and melvin apply to all forms of competitive gaming, not just card games. if you have trouble identifying with vorthos, imagine playing makoto because the concept of a punch gal is really appealing to you, instead of deciding entirely based on how much you like grab set ups. it's not just scrubs either, in guilty gear, the best faust player, nage, picked faust when he first started playing because he thought the bag man was really funny

here's a good video explaining how this translates to fighting games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ztzKKNa6IY

Isn't "Cool Punch Girl!" more Timmy, where as Vorthos is wanting to play Makoto because you're super invested in the concept of reviving her father's dojo, or because the rivalry with Ibuki really appeals to you because Ibuki players really piss you off or something?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

If I load up Runeterra and think the art/presentation/character design of the tutorial is incredibly boring and quit playing even if I wanted a cool new CCG to build bullshit decks with, does that make me an Anti-Timmy or an Outcast-Vorthos?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

so i'm not following the podcast, the heck is a vorthos

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Vorthos is all about aesthetics, surface level details. Woolie is big Vorthos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I missed this, the latest Crymetina Critiques is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koa7TJNCWPE&hd=1

the zoom in on Franky's face and going "CRITIQUE MEEEEEE" made my nearly choke on my food

edit: oh poo poo lol a new one just dropped for Mortal Kombat Aftermath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8lRUsT2DE&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 10, 2020

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

so i'm not following the podcast, the heck is a vorthos

Timmy, Johnny, Spike, Melvin, & Vorthos are the names for player personality types that Magic the Gathering developers used internally until they put out an article describing them. Originally it was just Timmy, Johnny, & Spike. Melvin and Vorthos came later. It's kinda a dumb idea, but there's some truth in it? Here's the wiki about it: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Player_type

In fighting games Spike is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it's funny they attribute sanford to top tier because he rarely does that for like a decade (He played like Oni or some poo poo back in SF4)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

Isn't "Cool Punch Girl!" more Timmy, where as Vorthos is wanting to play Makoto because you're super invested in the concept of reviving her father's dojo, or because the rivalry with Ibuki really appeals to you because Ibuki players really piss you off or something?

No, a Timmy would pick Makoto because she has the big impressive game-winning super that does a lot of damage (I don't know anything about that game). As another example, they'd pick Falcon in Brawl for his special cutscene Final Smash or for Falcon Punch, but they might not care about F-Zero.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Makato was bar none the best overall character in vanilla p5 outside of joker mechanic wise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tae posted:

Makato was bar none the best overall character in vanilla p5 outside of joker mechanic wise.

Too bad she like the rest of P5 was a boring disappointment outside gameplay and surface aesthetics.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

They were talking about Street Fighter Makoto, not Persona Makoto.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Both Makotos are cool as hell and P5 was still a bunch of fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Too bad she like the rest of P5 was a boring disappointment outside gameplay and surface aesthetics.

MODS.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

persona needs another game starring listless 20-30somethings, fictional high schoolers have a limit on how bad their lives can be

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus christ, Woolie does not know how to understand metaphors in this final stretch of kotor.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dabir posted:

No, a Timmy would pick Makoto because she has the big impressive game-winning super that does a lot of damage (I don't know anything about that game). As another example, they'd pick Falcon in Brawl for his special cutscene Final Smash or for Falcon Punch, but they might not care about F-Zero.

Makoto is a super timmy character bc of grab setups into stun you do tons of damage

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the fact that you used the word "setup" there makes me think she's more Johnny. The most setup a Timmy tends to do is take big fun thing -> make it bigger.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Putting it all in SF3 terms:

A Timmy would play Q because he has big, screen-shaking punches and deals big damage when he hits.

A Johnny would gravitate to Q because he's got a strong kara game and has lots of difficult but powerful combos off of command grabs and supers, plus he's low tier so winning with him is extra sweet.

A Spike would most likely use Q because he's got very high damage output and strong defenses.

Meanwhile, Melvins would be Q players because he has a variety of mechanics to learn and take advantage of.

Vorthos players will want to play Q, because they love the idea of a mysterious masked robot(?)-man(?) traveling the globe and loving with the CIA.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Has the podcast covered The new Destiny 3/2 poo poo yet? I really want to hear Pat's broken brain work through the fact that they're deleteing destiny 2 from destiny 2 as the next major content stuff comes out.

They're just doing to Destiny 2 what 2 did to 1 but inside of 2, not even a new disc!

They're 100% true and the fact that the game ends with you, the heroes of freedom truth buddying up to a crooked prosecutor who is shown to be rigging cases and putting innocent people behind bars who faces no actual punishment for her crimes is both horrifying morality but also a perfect encapsulation on P5's bad writing where they're so desperate to be about society's problems and fixing corruption but really it doesn't believe in anything.

Very stylish tho.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 12, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
of course Bugsnax would be utterly anathema to pat's very existence lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For no reason other than it came up in my youtube recs, I feel like I have to remind everyone of the absolute funniest moment in SBFP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBaKN3DpIcU

The comic timing is just astonishing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If we're going to do our favorite SBFP moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk1QG7HLLR0

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think my absolute 100% favorite moment is Woolie and Liam hitting the Redips twist in Command Mission at the exact same time literally 10 minutes before it happened but Crazy Talk activating during TEW2 comes really, really close

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just pretend I posted all the Mailbag videos.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuV-EpLV8SU

This is my absolute favorite. Liam had moments on the podcast where he would just go for the throat on someone out of nowhere and it was great.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

liam is a crit build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Liam makes arguments like he plays Dark Souls.