Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

How do I get rid of ants?

Also why do I have ants?

I had 0, then over the course of 48 hours I now see like 5 at any given time.

And they are all in the bathroom.

My cooking/eating behavior hasn’t changed recently so it’s not like there’s a bunch of crumbs. And I don’t eat in the bathroom.

You probably want to sit down and figure out their search pattern, maybe there's a sweet soap or something they're getting into. I've also heard that bathroom ants means it's time to get tested for diabetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Terro liquid ant baits. They increase for a time, then disappear. Put them as close to the entry as possible unless you want your tiles to get mobbed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Depends on the ants. Could be raspberry ants that just kinda migrate places and there isn’t a whole lot you can do

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Also why do I have ants?

If you live in an area with dense, older, apartment buildings, the why is probably "there's a shitton of construction that ants have been finding ways through and into for decades, and some new colony has found a path that involves your apartment". Room doesn't really matter, it's just some area that they found a small ingress hole. At least here in the SF Bay Area I'm basically guaranteed to get a few ants searching after rain, and they sometimes find enough stuff of interest that they decide to patrol more regularly.

I've found that Fipronil-based ant poisons are quite effective: they allow a quantity of the chemical to build up in the colony's food store and eventually reach the queen, and once the queen is dead, that particular colony dies and patrols come no more, which usually means no more ants on that route. Combat gel usually stops them in 24h or so. If you can find a high-traffic route, place it on some solid, flat disposable surface (old plastic insurance cards work well) in their path and they should be gone in a day or so. You can put it directly on tile or whatever, card is just to make it easier to clean up after they're gone.

In non-ant apartment concerns, I'm trying to make my coronavirus WFH space more livable in summer: I live in an old bay area apartment from the time before climate change, and its main construction design goals were retaining heat in our "winter". This well-insulated apartment quite effectively retains heat, and tends to settle at 10-20 degrees above the outdoor temperature--outside might be 90-110 for an hour or so, but indoor temps will happily climb to that and stay there til 8pm and after (when outdoor temps have dropped anywhere between 75-55). There's plenty of cooler air around but I just can't get it inside.

Fans should be able to handle this pretty well, but the architects of the 60s went all-in on big windows everywhere, and most of my windows are 45-50in tall horizontal sliders. The tallest window fans I've found cap out at around 38in and don't fill the space. I can sorta cobble together a shield with the blinds, but ideally I'd like to have something that fills the entire space so that I can set up proper airflow channels. Are there any fans that will fit these things? There are some shields for portable AC units that look like they'd cover the entire area, but I'd prefer to just blast cool fresh air through the place if possible.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I've genuinely put an a/c filter on the back of a box fan and stuck it in the window (I cut up a car windshield reflector to insulate the gaps along the sides) in my previous Victorian apartment in Berkeley that had a similar issue. Worked great.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I'm in grad student housing now and would love to figure out a way to get some kind of screen door for the front door. Problem is we're not allowed to install anything on the outside of the door and we have cats so it needs to be secure from them escaping. Pic of the opening below.

Are there any screens that roll down from above that would be secure enough here? My other thought was a screen door that is the right dimensions to fit into the actual door jam, with a plate we could revolve to lock it into place on the inside. Do they sell screen doors to that specific of dimensions?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Andersen-36-in-x-80-in-LuminAire-White-Retractable-Screen-Door-90001/302197300

We have one of these out to the patio. It has been cat proof and dog proof so far, we have it mounted inside, and it took 4 screws that they can fill in when we go.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Jamais Vu Again posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Andersen-36-in-x-80-in-LuminAire-White-Retractable-Screen-Door-90001/302197300

We have one of these out to the patio. It has been cat proof and dog proof so far, we have it mounted inside, and it took 4 screws that they can fill in when we go.

I don't think that'll work because it has to be mounted on the outside of the door, and I can only install stuff on the inside of the door.

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 11, 2020

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Spikes32 posted:

I don't think that'll work because it has to be mounted on the outside of the door, and I can only install stuff on the inside of the door.

We had a similar window issue in our current rental flat. The house gets so hot and stuffy that you really have to keep the windows open, but the UK doesn't believe in screens. We had to figure out a way to open the windows without having the cats escape.

I ended up getting a few yards of window screen material and two rolls of Velcro. One side of the Velcro has sticky tape on the back and the other doesn't. I cut the screen to measure the bizarrely sized windows we have here, sewed little tabs of the non-sticky Velcro around the edges, and stuck the sticky side to the inside of the window frame. Basically exactly the same idea as this, but diy and a lot cheaper. Turned out really well.

For a door or a screen that you have to remove a lot, magnet strips might be better than Velcro.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

listrada posted:

We had a similar window issue in our current rental flat. The house gets so hot and stuffy that you really have to keep the windows open, but the UK doesn't believe in screens. We had to figure out a way to open the windows without having the cats escape.

I ended up getting a few yards of window screen material and two rolls of Velcro. One side of the Velcro has sticky tape on the back and the other doesn't. I cut the screen to measure the bizarrely sized windows we have here, sewed little tabs of the non-sticky Velcro around the edges, and stuck the sticky side to the inside of the window frame. Basically exactly the same idea as this, but diy and a lot cheaper. Turned out really well.

For a door or a screen that you have to remove a lot, magnet strips might be better than Velcro.

I'm about to move to the UK and was wondering about that for my cats, so I appreciate this a lot. My cats are big idiots and will sometimes lean against the window screen when they see something they really want to murder outside; does the velcro hold up relatively well to pressure?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

listrada posted:

This is a good idea and I think what I will end up doing. Need to think about how to store it when not in use and how to fix it in place on the door hinge side where I won't be able to put velcro first though. Thank you!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zaftig posted:

I'm about to move to the UK and was wondering about that for my cats, so I appreciate this a lot. My cats are big idiots and will sometimes lean against the window screen when they see something they really want to murder outside; does the velcro hold up relatively well to pressure?

Huh, I've never thought about the following: what is pet immigration like?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

silence_kit posted:

I'd love stories from people who have gone through it! So far my research says "a lot of paperwork and extra money," with exact steps varying by country. I won't need to quarantine my cats in my situation but other countries would require it.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

silence_kit posted:

We went from the US > UK and it wasn't very much fun for anyone involved. Cats don't like car rides, and they definitely do not love flying... But, it was one bad day and then it was over.

As far as the process goes, the cats basically need to be vaccinated, microchipped and to pass a cat health exam. The paperwork part was tedious but ultimately no big deal. We used an IPATA agent because I thought the airline required that, but honestly I don't think they did very much work at all...

Then, on the day of, you stuff them into big airline kennels, tape a Ziploc bag of cat food to the outside, and drop them off at a major airport. You'll probably fly direct to London, where you will end up spending a lot of time waiting at the animal receiving center (my wait was 8 hrs) while they make sure your cat is not a pangolin. Then, you can stuff everyone into a rental car and drive to your new city, if it isn't London.

The drive was the worst part of the process because everyone is exhausted and stressed at this point and not only do they drive on the left here, they have all of these freaking roundabouts. I swear it's like playing chess because you have to plan what lane you'll need to be in like, 3 roundabouts in advance of the one with the exit you want to take. And then there's an accident on the highway and your drive takes an extra 2-3 hours. And then your new letting agency will make you park your giant rental car that doesn't fit in the old-timey streets and come into the office in person to get your keys.

So, not the most fun thing to go through but the cats bounced back faster than I did.

A few tips if you're immigrating soon -
-I'd recommend getting some 1” foam, hot glue and fleece fabric to line the kennels with. You can't have anything loose like a towel in there, but you'll want something to soften up the hard plastic kennel floor. My cats still sleep in their air kennels, so the foam must be comfy enough for them to get past their PTSD.
-Get one of the $5 disposable cat litter pans from the grocery store and bring it in your checked bag. You're not going to want to go find cat litter as soon as you get there. It's a good idea to bring half a roll of TP and maybe a shower curtain with you, too.
-I had to fly over with the cats by myself; my husband flew over a few weeks later. Would not recommend. The extra hands and moral support would have gone a long way.

Let me know if you have any other questions - it was super tough to figure it out on our own, so I'd be happy to share what we know.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Zaftig posted:

I was worried about this too, but the Velcro actually works really well! It doesn't budge even if they stretch against the screen (which I wish they wouldn't.)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't own any pets but was just curious about what the process was like and whether it even is allowed in some countries.

It looks like Zaftig is about to go through the exact same process as you did, so I think your post still ended up being very helpful.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Also why do I have ants?

And they are all in the bathroom.

My cooking/eating behavior hasn’t changed recently so it’s not like there’s a bunch of crumbs. And I don’t eat in the bathroom.
If you live in a warmer area (southwest or southern US), they're probably Argentine ants. It's getting on toward summer and they're looking for water.

Also

Mocking Bird posted:

Terro liquid ant baits. They increase for a time, then disappear. Put them as close to the entry as possible unless you want your tiles to get mobbed.
are the business. Get several packs, search all over the floor and under carpet edges and baseboards to find their recruitment trails, and put the traps wherever they're getting in from. And clean off the existing ant trails with a solution of limonene (eco) or bleach (non-eco) spray to destroy the pheromones.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I move out of my apartment in five days. I've so far done very little towards that end, and I feel like I will be lucky to have enough time just to get my stuff out, let alone clean it. There's marks on the walls from my bike, the painted-white inside of the cabinets is dirty from my pots and pans, the oven has a layer of carbon at the bottom and the bathroom is gross everywhere, not to mention a few small holes in the walls from termite damage (the termites ate the wood, and the paint that had covered that wood gave way). Bottom line is, it's not all getting done, or even close.

Fortunately my deposit was only a third of the rent, and I'm fine losing it. But at what point do they start coming after me for damages, or would they, if it's just a matter of cleaning? I know that's an absurdly generic question that depends on local laws and the whims of landlords, but maybe there's kind of a rule of thumb. This is in Tampa, if that helps.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what is the best way to just get the gently caress rid of some furniture i can't physically dispose of by myself?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Put FREE on the curbside and it will be gone the next day.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My place has vinyl or laminate hardwood floors. I have an office chair on a mat right now to protect it but I don't like it. Would it be better to get a rug to cover the space or just get some rubber casters for the chair? I'm thinking the rubber would be much gentler on the flooring than the standard plastic ones it has right now but I'm not sure.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chard posted:

what is the best way to just get the gently caress rid of some furniture i can't physically dispose of by myself?

If you can't get it out of your house, list it on craigslist and/or other community sites and specify buyer must pick it up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

If you can't get it out of your house, list it on craigslist and/or other community sites and specify buyer must pick it up.
I have had very little luck with this. I suspect the free furniture market--much like Goodwill--is pretty saturated right now.

If you have Zipcar, they do have vans you can use to haul furniture to a Goodwill/the dump.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Weird question, but as of a couple weeks ago I got some downstairs neighbors who love to smoke. Not something I’d give a poo poo about, but I guess the way the AC vents are rigged in this place means that all the weed/cigarette smell gets into my vents for the next hour or so.

Is there any good way to block the smell by putting something in the vent or something? I can’t actually close any of the vents in this apartment so it’s a no go. They also manage to be the loudest motherfuckers on the planet despite being downstairs too.

I haven’t bothered reaching out to them or the leasing office either, since I’m planning on moving in a couple months regardless and don’t feel like getting into it with people who may or may not be assholes. I’m guessing there might not be any good solution short of that though, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What's the best way to clean out the lint filter on a dryer? If I scrape it off with my fingers dust explodes all over the place.

My old place had the W/D in the garage so I didn't give a poo poo before, I just took the trap over to the main trash can, gave it the business right there in the driveway and shook the survivors out in the wind.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

TheOrange posted:

Weird question, but as of a couple weeks ago I got some downstairs neighbors who love to smoke. Not something I’d give a poo poo about, but I guess the way the AC vents are rigged in this place means that all the weed/cigarette smell gets into my vents for the next hour or so.

Is there any good way to block the smell by putting something in the vent or something? I can’t actually close any of the vents in this apartment so it’s a no go. They also manage to be the loudest motherfuckers on the planet despite being downstairs too.

I haven’t bothered reaching out to them or the leasing office either, since I’m planning on moving in a couple months regardless and don’t feel like getting into it with people who may or may not be assholes. I’m guessing there might not be any good solution short of that though, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Is it a newer building? If so then maybe the HVAC exhaust vent in your unit is reversed and you’re getting their bad air blown into your unit. I had a similar problem that management wasn’t able to fix even after tearing up the hvac ducts. So I finally just duct taped the exhaust vent closed which fixed it.

If it’s an old building then who knows. It could be coming in through the floors or walls.

Either way I’d do a maintenance request to have them check out your HVAC - it could be an easy fix (but probably won’t be).

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking for the best place online to order bedsheets. I'm hoping it's not Amazon. Any suggestions?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Can people recommend a mover for a long distance move? Need to get my stuff from Minneapolis, MN to Albany, NY.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just moved in to a new home with two bedrooms. The rooms share a wall, with a heater/furnace thing in each room that essentially acts as a duct connecting the two.

I have set up an office in the second bedroom, but the problem is that the heater is basically a hole in the wall that allows sound to travel straight between the two rooms. My girlfriend and I both work from home so our conversations on our respective calls tend to carry through the vent quite a bit. Is there a way to soundproof this at all? Heater will probably be disabled entirely for most of the year.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 3, 2020

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Teeter posted:

I just moved in to a new home with two bedrooms. The rooms share a wall, with a heater/furnace thing in each room that essentially acts as a duct connecting the two.

I have set up an office in the second bedroom, but the problem is that the heater is basically a hole in the wall that allows sound to travel straight between the two rooms. My girlfriend and I both work from home so our conversations on our respective calls tend to carry through the vent quite a bit. Is there a way to soundproof this at all? Heater will probably be disabled entirely for most of the year.

If it's not a problem to cover the vent (if it's not actually providing heat), a temporary solution could be hanging a heavy quilt or curtain over that section of wall / vent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm moving next month across the state (about 3 hours one-way), I want to rent a truck but hire one group of people to load and then another to unload at the destination. Is this a thing moving services offer? How can I do this without hiring some random drunks off of Facebook? I feel like the cost of paying a mover to go that far would be more than it's worth to me. I'm moving about a 1-room apartment's worth of stuff. Basically a desk, workbench desk, bed, chair, and 15 or so boxes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm moving next month across the state (about 3 hours one-way), I want to rent a truck but hire one group of people to load and then another to unload at the destination. Is this a thing moving services offer? How can I do this without hiring some random drunks off of Facebook? I feel like the cost of paying a mover to go that far would be more than it's worth to me. I'm moving about a 1-room apartment's worth of stuff. Basically a desk, workbench desk, bed, chair, and 15 or so boxes.

Most of the movers where I live charge a flat fee + an hourly fee. I don't think it'd be a problem hiring them to do half the job. Especially with as few people as have been moving the last year. The times I've moved across the country the moving company subcontracted to local movers in both the origin and destination cities and that worked fine. On the other hand you only need 1 dude for like an hour. A professional company will probably send 2 dudes because most of them don't want you to help. Might be hard to find a professional willing to do it cost effectively. Still you should call around and see what they say. They'll ask if you're moving a fridge, washer/dryer or other heavy appliance too.

If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic I'd tell you to buy one of your friends a pizza in exchange for helping you and call it a day. 15 boxes is almost nothing, but you'll want a second set of hands for the desks and beds.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I hired just unloading labor from a local company through the uhaul listings after you rent a van from them. It was $200 for 2 guys that seemed like they were the woman I spoke to’s teenage nephews. They were great, got everything in and upstairs in under 2 hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, that seems like a good choice so I don't have to impose on my friends after six months of being in this dump.

I might be moving in someplace with no 240v but ideally I would still get a washer and dryer, are there any options for that which only need 120v? Being slow isn't an issue, I'm going to be living by myself so I'll just be doing one load a week or so and I WFH so I'm not in a hurry for almost anything.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, that seems like a good choice so I don't have to impose on my friends after six months of being in this dump.

I might be moving in someplace with no 240v but ideally I would still get a washer and dryer, are there any options for that which only need 120v? Being slow isn't an issue, I'm going to be living by myself so I'll just be doing one load a week or so and I WFH so I'm not in a hurry for almost anything.

Is there no 240v outlet at the laundry area because it’s plumbed for a gas dryer? If so, get one and make sure your dryer exhaust is taped and the right material for gas. Gas dryer best dryer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a new desk (my current one doesn't fit my room very well). Probably something around 5' long (I've got a small room, but depth isn't a big concern in the available space), height adjustable would be nice, and... maybe some storage of some sort? Shelves or drawers? Or not.

Where is a good place to start? I don't mind paying a bit for something decent, but I don't want to overspend on cheap bullshit. This is a lot easier with computer parts than furniture.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Thanatosian posted:

I'm in the market for a new desk (my current one doesn't fit my room very well). Probably something around 5' long (I've got a small room, but depth isn't a big concern in the available space), height adjustable would be nice, and... maybe some storage of some sort? Shelves or drawers? Or not.

Where is a good place to start? I don't mind paying a bit for something decent, but I don't want to overspend on cheap bullshit. This is a lot easier with computer parts than furniture.

I don't think they have any adjustable ones but I've ended up using desks from this company https://www.bushfurniture.com/. I'm pretty sure Office Depot carries their stuff if you have one around you.

The main thing I liked was that most of their stuff is fairly modular and the desks themselves are a basic flat surface, so good for mounting stuff like power strips along the back or monitor arms. Only big downside is the first desk I got from them had a nasty gouge in it from shipping, everything I've got since has been spotless and the one time I needed replacement parts they were free.

For cheaper stuff most people I know swear by the IKEA desks, I just found them a little too cheap feeling and sat too low for me to use comfortably.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Does anyone have experience with temporary wallpapers? I've heard conflicting things about how well they come off when removed.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I really wish there was a way to filter housing ads for whether the stove is gas or electric :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

A word of warning for anyone planning a long distance move: DO NOT use Zippy Shell or it's sister company or whatever 1-800-Pack-Rat (they merged within the last couple years). I had to plan a sort of last minute cross country move and because of my remote destination, had limited options. Looking back on things, I wish I had just paid local movers to do the whole thing. But I went with the only "pod" like service that would deliver to my destination (Pods and Upack wouldn't). The first screw-up was they changed the pick-up date on me after I had already scheduled a flight and shuttle. At least they took $100 off the total for that confusion.

They gave me an estimate of 7-10 business days for the whole move. It's been 21 so far, with no end in site. My stuff sat in a warehouse in the city I moved from for 3 weeks. It then took almost a week to make the drive that only took me 3 days. Now it's in a warehouse 3 hours away and they won't schedule a delivery date. Every time I call it's a different problem. Supposedly their "forklift is down", which is preventing them from even scheduling. They've charged the final payment, but still have my stuff. Now they're claiming if it stays in their warehouse for another month, I'll be charged the monthly rental fee.

Kind of at my wits end with this company, but all I can do is keep calling back and complaining. Their customer service, like most companies unfortunately, is completely powerless. They usually don't know anything and I have to sit on hold for 20 minutes while they call other departments.