Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was the perfect target for the first book: exactly eleven, bookish, lonely. I also have happy memories of reading the books with my dad - I still smile about the time Mom came in to scold him for letting me stay up past my bedtime and he was the one who said "But this part's really good!" I'm also glad Rowling's decision to not go after fan fiction writers meant that a generation was able to build spaces where young people could explore and try out new forms of self-expression. But I can never forgive her for using her platform to hurt vulnerable people with such impunity.

E: Content

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dudeness posted:

Oh yes, I think about it a lot.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This honestly isn't anything new, there are scads of rappers dating back to the 80s who take stock in NWO conspiracy theories which is one of the most classical forms of anti-semitism, Ice Cube has been spewing that garbage for ages.

Also he sucks poo poo as a rapper and was one of the most useless members of NWA.

didnt he get payed in bologna sandwhiches and water for like 2yrs while in nwa?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Maybe not but they did a really good cover of Venus in Furs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I kinda felt like i missed out as a kid since i sorta missed the age where i mightve read it (elementary school??) reading John Bellairs and Judy Blume (and tom clancy and michael crichton lmao). I liked Pokemon and other kid trend poo poo, but I never bothered with Harry Potter.

After i passed a certain age (12?) it was just never gonna happen out of basic self-respect.

I loved John Bellairs.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i realized i was really into that one scene in the movie where harry's glasses get fixed via magic because i wanted to use magic to "fix" my body and be a lady

suck my feminine penis terf rear end motherfucker

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The objectively best bit in the movies is Hermione straight-up punching Malfoy in the third movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I loved John Bellairs.
Through all the brain damage ive willingly given myself all these years, i still can recollect the feeling of adventure n wonder I had as a lil kid reading The Trolley to Yesterday. :D

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

2006-8 were such garbage years for media. A friendly reminder that when The Big Bang Theory was starting up loving GBS had a megathread on why it was a really good show, promoted by marketers for CBS.

wait is this true, and did those accounts get banned or what?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

wait is this true, and did those accounts get banned or what?
Absolutely true and no, I don't believe so. At the end of the day they were interns/PAs doing work on that "new media" stuff their bosses were obliquely aware of, and the megathread got drowned out in other mid-00s backwash like Helldump and the rise of Let's Plays/Reddit, and within a season or two of the post (it was during Season 2 or 3 of that show) the ratings spiked and that show held on like a loving barnacle for over a decade after.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

RoboRodent posted:

She's Voldemort and Umbridge, then, by extension.

honestly she’s more like umbridge, a nasty middle aged woman who when faced with someone younger than her that was telling her the truths that she didn’t like, literally tortured under the guise of continuous punishment which left a permanent mark on harry. then she sucked up to the evil government that took over and bought some fake wizard heirloom poo poo so she could pretend to be from a well respected pure wizard line.

i really loved harry potter as a kid, but there’s a definite dip in quality toward the latter half. you can see it because the first four books i have are practically falling apart because i was reading them over and over again and the last three look brand new.

i think my favorite part of harry potter was the whole magical school thing, because the chapter i would read most obsessively as a kid was the diagon alley one in the beginning where he would buy school supplies. the introduction of other wizarding schools got me excited because it meant there was a whole world of wizards in different cultures and as a kid i wanted to know what it was like. as an adult i got my wish and a finger on the monkey’s paw curled (it was horribly stereotypical drivel that was borderline racism).

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

https://twitter.com/the_17_1776/status/1270791012835786753

So anything you don't like is actually the opposite? drat, guess police brutality is sunshine and hugs and the border wall is a slippy slide and the recession is actually all of us swimming around in Scrooge McDuck piles of gold. Thanks for the tip, brave forward thinker!

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Jun 11, 2020

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jesus they don't even do the most basic of research.

I prefer the "a cuteness" translation.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Occasionally the books would hit it out of the parks, such as Umbridge being a morality free beureaucrat who actively facilitated fascism because she thought it would benefit her career.

On the other hand Voldemort was implied to be evil because he was a child of rape. I don't even think Rowling realized she was describing rape. The books simply stated he was concieved without love.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lord it's the saddest thing when you find those middle eastern incels who are just like "actually...YEAH!"
https://twitter.com/el_se3dy_/status/1270803638433218565?s=20
https://twitter.com/el_se3dy_/status/1270385120957075456?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"Trump never asks a question he doesn't know the answer to" makes his questions about whether or not injecting bleach or sunlight to treat COVID seem more sinister than just plain dumb.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I have attracted my very first crank. When I first started reading their comments, my jaw was on the floor, but after a while their persistence and ager actually started to majorly bum me out.

So for context; I run a fairly small youtube channel. One of my videos at one point briefly mentions how Chris Brown's assualt on Rhianna didn't slow down his career very much. Enter this person:

They then posted a new comment, which I again responded to (edited solely for grammar):

and then dropped this loving bombshell:

They ended up leaving five or six more messages, and then started commenting in other, completely unrelated comments/conversations other people were having:

Guys... do they have a point??? I'm really sorry if I killed George Floyd

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Calico Heart posted:

I have attracted my very first crank. When I first started reading their comments, my jaw was on the floor, but after a while their persistence and ager actually started to majorly bum me out.

So for context; I run a fairly small youtube channel. One of my videos at one point briefly mentions how Chris Brown's assualt on Rhianna didn't slow down his career very much. Enter this person:

They then posted a new comment, which I again responded to (edited solely for grammar):

They ended up leaving five or six more messages, and then started commenting in other, completely unrelated comments/conversations other people were having:

Five people need to be charged for Floyds death. The 4 cops and you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Calico Heart posted:

I think justice can't really be obtained from American courts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait... do they think Chris Brown is a trans woman? That Rhianna's a trans woman? That George Floyd is a trans woman?

They went hard on the transphobia/transmisogyny/TERF line, but it comes out of loving NOWHERE.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

you're being trolled

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Necrothatcher posted:

you're being trolled

My partner googled this person and found they run a blog where they post several screeds like this a week and have done for months (including an hour long video where they announced they were running for office in their town). They often go without any comments or engagement at all. If it's a bit, it's one of the most dedicated bits I've ever seen.

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jun 11, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Not ganna dovx this person, but their name on Youtube is their actual name. My partner gave them a google and found they run a blog where they post several screeds like this a week and have done for months (including an hour long video where they announced they were running for office in their town). They often go without any comments or engagement at all. If it's a bit, it's one of the most dedicated bits I've ever seen.

Okay, they just hate women.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What is CAMAB and CAFAB

something something male/female abuse?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ilmucche posted:

What is CAMAB and CAFAB

Coercively Assigned Male/Female At Birth, according to the top result on Google: "This is a term used for intersex people, many of whom actually turn out to be male, but have been assigned the female gender role by their parents and doctors in infancy due to, usually, ambiguous genitalia."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What is CAMAB and CAFAB

Google says Coercively Assigned Male/Female Assigned at Birth. Which took less time for me to figure out than it took you to post that and every result also gave more in depth explanations of what that means.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think the argument is:

Chris Brown was hurt, and Yellow thinks he was right to hurt back, and only because of him being percieved as male does that not count. Reciprocal abuse means everyone has a right to hurt someone back, it means every gender is equal. If you only give women the right to abuse you are erasing anyone presenting as man. I think?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Wait why are we not allowed to post reasons why JK Rowling is wrong again and yet we can post our own personal lovely blog journeys with Harry Potter? No one gives a poo poo. Post more articles and poo poo about why Rowling is a piece of poo poo.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X20301312

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1271060337853267969?s=20

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Wait... do they think Chris Brown is a trans woman? That Rhianna's a trans woman? That George Floyd is a trans woman?

They went hard on the transphobia/transmisogyny/TERF line, but it comes out of loving NOWHERE.

it's misapplied academic jargon, basically. the argument is that cis, heterosexual men don't get to be seen as victims of domestic violence, alleging that rihanna hit him harder and first essentially

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

this is a good tweet though

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Splash Attack posted:

i really loved harry potter as a kid, but there’s a definite dip in quality toward the latter half. you can see it because the first four books i have are practically falling apart because i was reading them over and over again and the last three look brand new.

Didn't Rowling decide to sack her editor and write without one starting at book five? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mak0rz posted:

Didn't Rowling decide to sack her editor and write without one starting at book five? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

If true this explains a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guilty posted:

Wait why are we not allowed to post reasons why JK Rowling is wrong again and yet we can post our own personal lovely blog journeys with Harry Potter? No one gives a poo poo. Post more articles and poo poo about why Rowling is a piece of poo poo.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X20301312

Goons are more offended that a popular book exists than the fact Rowling is a lovely person

This just gives their insufferable smarm some justification

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember hearing something like that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons are more offended that a popular book exists than the fact Rowling is a lovely person

This just gives their insufferable smarm some justification

Yeah, transphobic rhetoric sucks, but have you ever seen cringe?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have no idea what that means so I assume it’s an attempt for a goon to be hip

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Found a TERF in my friend's facebook comments. I've never actually encountered one in the wild before. Using the same old tactics, too. I'm about to let her have it had to share because this isn't something I have ever had to respond to before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
For my own sanity I don't want to go back into the comments to get screenshots or anything, but yesterday Wizards of the Coast announced it's removing a bunch of racist cards from the game.

The reaction from many players has been....exactly what you're thinking it is, despite the fact that literally none of those cards are relevant anymore and no one plays them.

Here's the twitter thread if you want I guess:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1270823164877189128