Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm still amazed Family Guy is an ongoing thing, I loved the first 3 series but I don't think I have ever sat and watched any episodes from later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm still amazed Family Guy is an ongoing thing, I loved the first 3 series but I don't think I have ever sat and watched any episodes from later

Season 5 was the last full season I think I ever watched.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
American Dad > Bob's Burgers > Futurama = Peak Simpsons > Cleveland Show > South Park > Rick and Morty > Family Guy > Current Simpsons

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Polyseme posted:

Did they? Shame.

It lasted about two seconds on UPN or wherever it originally aired, but no shock there. Adult Swim actually did give it a lot of support, but then they got rights to Family Guy reruns and it basically vanished without a trace.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

American Dad > Bob's Burgers > Futurama = Peak Simpsons > Cleveland Show > South Park > Rick and Morty > Family Guy > Current Simpsons

I don't understand how anyone could have an opinion on The Cleveland Show. Either way, positive or negative. I would be equally confused by a person who loved The Cleveland Show as by a person who hated The Cleveland Show. How did that show create emotions in you?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Home Movies is on HBO Max now and I can't tell you how much I missed the show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how anyone could have an opinion on The Cleveland Show. Either way, positive or negative. I would be equally confused by a person who loved The Cleveland Show as by a person who hated The Cleveland Show. How did that show create emotions in you?

no emotions > negative emotions

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rolo posted:

This is my favorite joke in the show.

That and when Brian meets the owner of where he was born. Guys is like “I see a lot of dogs, refresh my memory” and Brian says “I was the one who could talk” and the guys like BRIAN!

My favorite joke in the show has got to be the extended Maude sequence. I laughed out loud at the "Amelia Earhart flew a lot of airplanes, except for that one time when she didn't back" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUD7MBdDuo

docbeard posted:

Home Movies was a better show than any of those.

(You can tell this is an unpopular opinion because its ratings suuuuuuuuucked.)

I was too busy watching Metalocalypse and Assy McGee to get invested in anything else.

Gripweed posted:

My only opinions about The Cleveland Show are that it was creepy about underage girls (an extended shot of 15-year old Roberta exiting a pool while Cleveland's middle-aged friend ogles her, Cleveland's other middle-aged friends openly lusting after Cleveland Jr.'s 16-year old green card wife, for example), Rallo was stupid & annoying, and despite the fact that Mike Henry & Kevin Michael Richardson (especially the latter) are geniuses, the voice work was spotty enough for me to notice, which is exceedingly rare.

That's probably more opinions than anyone should have about The Cleveland Show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with Tim and Eric is that Tim Heidecker is brilliant and Eric Wareheim is at best, sort of mildly funny I guess. Everything they did was sort of dragged down by one of them being barely talented.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with Tim and Eric is that Tim Heidecker is brilliant and Eric Wareheim is at best, sort of mildly funny I guess. Everything they did was sort of dragged down by one of them being barely talented.

Tim and Eric writers room, any given day:

"I have an idea for a sketch where we sell weird toys."

"Great! We should smear our faces with weird gloopy poo poo and talk like Martians! Nothing is funnier than looking like you have a sunburn and a back problem!"

"I've never known which one of us is which."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

My favorite joke in the show has got to be the extended Maude sequence. I laughed out loud at the "Amelia Earhart flew a lot of airplanes, except for that one time when she didn't back" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUD7MBdDuo

I was too busy watching Metalocalypse and Assy McGee to get invested in anything else.

My only opinions about The Cleveland Show are that it was creepy about underage girls (an extended shot of 15-year old Roberta exiting a pool while Cleveland's middle-aged friend ogles her, Cleveland's other middle-aged friends openly lusting after Cleveland Jr.'s 16-year old green card wife, for example), Rallo was stupid & annoying, and despite the fact that Mike Henry & Kevin Michael Richardson (especially the latter) are geniuses, the voice work was spotty enough for me to notice, which is exceedingly rare.

That's probably more opinions than anyone should have about The Cleveland Show.

They REALLY wanted Rallo to be Huey from the Boondocks and Stevie from Family Guy and it just didn’t work.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
American Dad is the best show on television.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't care for steak

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I don't care for steak

It's fine but I'd rather have a nice stew.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who justify or are all "yes but" about the atomic bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki and the firebombing of tokyo are despicable and no worse than any other kind of right wing moron and it's weird that this position is still tolerated in polite conversation

i know all the weird grognard justifications for it, it's still not justified, the cities contained mostly civilians and there were other options besides invasion or bombing

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Jun 11, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Did this show just miraculously get good somehow? I remember watching when it first came out and it was absolute garbage with dumb gimmick characters like the fish and the annoying alien guy

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

Did this show just miraculously get good somehow? I remember watching when it first came out and it was absolute garbage with dumb gimmick characters like the fish and the annoying alien guy

Maybe you just don't like good things?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fridge corn posted:

kinda yeah. Eventually they figured out what to do with the alien

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Captain Monkey posted:

They REALLY wanted Rallo to be Huey from the Boondocks and Stevie from Family Guy and it just didn’t work.

Huey from the Boondocks isn't funny either.

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

:hmmyes:

fridge corn posted:

In a word, yeah. In more words,

* Stan evolved from a super outspokenly sycophantically politically conservative guy to a guy who's socially conservative & patriotic without an emphasis on politics, and they added a touch of insanity for good measure.
* Hayley evolved from a super outspokenly liberal stereotype (the opposite of Stan) to a pot-smoking liberal teenager who is lazy to the point of hypocrisy & comfortable to really do anything.
* Steve is Steve, but a bit more eager to please Stan and girl-crazy in a less creepy way. They gave him an Oedipal streak too, which is hit or miss, in my opinion.
* Roger wears disguises so that he can leave the house and intermingle with society in a way that people outside of the family (mostly) can't recognize.
* Klaus's backstory got fleshed out a little more, and they gave him slightly sociopathic tendencies, possibly to give them more of a reason not to put him back in a human body.

The Stan of Arabia two-parter is the only series of episodes that I haven't seen more than once so I can't really opine on them either way, but personally I think that The American Dad Afterschool Special is the first episode where the show started getting consistently good (even though there are episodes before then that I absolutely love -- A Smith in the Hand and Star Trek, for example).

tl;dr:

Gripweed posted:

kinda yeah. Eventually they figured out what to do with the alien

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

YeahTubaMike posted:

* Roger wears disguises so that he can leave the house and intermingle with society in a way that people outside of the family (mostly) can't recognize.

It's more than that, his personas are a really fantastic story telling tool. Whenever they need a character or to put the family in an unusual situation, they can just say "oh yeah Roger has been a high school teacher named Mr. Thaddeus Booklove for the past six months and is turning his troubled student's lives around by getting them to put on a production of the HMS Pinafore, but the opening night is going to be sabotaged by the local drug dealer, Honky Sassafras, who doesn't want to lose the students as customers. Honky Sassafras is also Roger"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

It's more than that, his personas are a really fantastic story telling tool. Whenever they need a character or to put the family in an unusual situation, they can just say "oh yeah Roger has been a high school teacher named Mr. Thaddeus Booklove for the past six months and is turning his troubled student's lives around by getting them to put on a production of the HMS Pinafore, but the opening night is going to be sabotaged by the local drug dealer, Honky Sassafras, who doesn't want to lose the students as customers. Honky Sassafras is also Roger"

Those are great names. :haw: And yeah, Roger can be involved in any situation, something that they've lampshaded on at least one occasion (that episode where Stan is like "I'm gonna get there and it's gonna be you, isn't it?" and Roger goes "Strong possibility" and then it turned out that he was only the secretary -- administrative assistant :colbert: -- of the guy who it actually was).

Also, Honky Sassafras sounds like Kevin Ramage.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I get the Stelio Kantos chant stick in my head on a weekly basis.
That and "my hair is long in the short places and short in the long places"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

people who justify or are all "yes but" about the atomic bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki and the firebombing of tokyo are despicable and no worse than any other kind of right wing moron and it's weird that this position is still tolerated in polite conversation

i know all the weird grognard justifications for it, it's still not justified, the cities contained mostly civilians and there were other options besides invasion or bombing

I'd have just told them I wasn't playing anymore and went home. Worked everytime some jerk grabbed the hose during a water fight.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd have just told them I wasn't playing anymore and went home. Worked everytime some jerk grabbed the hose during a water fight.

are you using a weird roundabout way of saying they were justified or something? i can hardly make out what this post even means

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can see how it might look like that, but no. I want to emphatically state that the use of a hose in a water fight is never justified. Never. Full stop.

edit:
Oh, you're talking about the nuke/practice of total war thing! Yeah, that's pretty lovely too.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jun 13, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People talk about things that it's hosed up you don't learn about in school, and it's usually like, some horrible thing the government did, or some inspiring social movement for change that was ended by some horrible thing the government did. And fair enough. But it's also hosed up that they don't teach you about Frederick Law Olmsted in public school.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The "itch.io bundle for justice" is a good cause but it's not a good deal. Who cares if it's $5 if every single game is bad? 1,600 pieces of garbage is still not worth $5 any more than 1,600 used syringes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pick posted:

The "itch.io bundle for justice" is a good cause but it's not a good deal. Who cares if it's $5 if every single game is bad? 1,600 pieces of garbage is still not worth $5 any more than 1,600 used syringes.

I'm generally not a fan of "indie" games either, but Celeste, Night in the Woods, and Octodad were very received when they were released.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A Short Hike was good too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is mostly hot rear end but Celeste, Tamashii, Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, Octodad, Night in the Woods, Spring Falls, Secret Little Haven, Parallax, and Overland are all enough to justify $5 collectively and I'm finding stuff that's interesting... even if yeah the vast majority of it are glorified student projects.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I'm generally not a fan of "indie" games either, but Celeste, Night in the Woods, and Octodad were very received when they were released.

sprite platformer, game I already had (but IS good but also old enough I assume most people aren't getting it for the first time), tech demo from 2014

like it's a good deal if you didn't already have NITW, but I did and I think most people did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A Short Hike was good too.

I rescind my comment because this game is wort $5.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sky rogue is a good game

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Celeste is a wonderful game. The gameplay, music and story are tight as hell.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pick posted:

lol if you aren't excited to crawl through looking for diamonds in the rough like it's one of those old "One Billion Windows Games" shareware CDs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time since it's on Netflix, and I don't get the hype grown adults have for it.

It's a good children's cartoon, don't get me wrong, but it's just a children's cartoon and nothing more. And despite so many people I know telling me at length about how awesome a villain Azula is, complete with linking hour-plus youtube videos analyzing her, I found her maybe the most boring character on the show. Ooh look at me, I'm crazy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time since it's on Netflix, and I don't get the hype grown adults have for it.

It's a good children's cartoon, don't get me wrong, but it's just a children's cartoon and nothing more. And despite so many people I know telling me at length about how awesome a villain Azula is, complete with linking hour-plus youtube videos analyzing her, I found her maybe the most boring character on the show. Ooh look at me, I'm crazy!

Most people watched it as children and remember it from then. It was mind blowing if you were catching it as it aired in the target audience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most people watched it as children and remember it from then. It was mind blowing if you were catching it as it aired in the target audience.

I'm old. :( I checked the dates, and Avatar started the year I started college. But it seems to be people around my own age who talk it up so much, so...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Castlevania on Netflix is much better in any case, and it's not for children because it has gore and tits and such. :classiclol:

I'm being serious though I kept hearing about it being good but it just sounded like bullshit, animation about an old Nintendo game? So waited this long before watching.

Especially liked how Dracula is committing suicide in slow motion, his every action after his wife dies is intended to get someone to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

People went nuts because it's almost, almost as good as a book.