Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Largepotato posted:

I just wanna see Buddy kicking screwies on the SCG. :(

Hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Majak out for the season :(

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Well in good news actual legitimate good bloke Lenny Hayes is now a Hall of Famer!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
John Kennedy Sr. is a legend. Good, good.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ofcourse it is.

Glad footy is back! The code is gonna get a huge boost of international viewership - I follow the NFL and American sports quite a bit and have been watching/listening to some Pods, and the Americans are excited to watch. Unfortunately they're all going for "Coxzilla" which means they're supporting the Pies.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2020

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is it gonna be on Fox? or probably FS1 and FS2, more specifically, the sports channels. that's what the nrl's on right now

edit just looked into it, the answer is yes. I've got a feeling the nrl, who are currently on late night on those channels, will be eclipsed - some people in the us at least have a vague idea this league exists and associate it with Australia - sad for them

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 8, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I've never personally been a fan of League, it was always Union for me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
League is bad, rugby is alright

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

league from my perspective is kind of a halfway house between union and American football. maybe a one quarter of the way there house. it's simpler than union, has a limit on tackles, and focuses more on what as an American I call laterals. if a normal rugby league scoring play happened in the NFL (ignoring for the moment the lack of blocking in league) everybody would poo poo themselves

but Americans really want to like Aussie rules, I think. it's its own unique thing from our perspective and I can tell you, possibly because of the name, that we assume everybody in Australia cares about it, not just south of the barassi line or whatever it's called. the concept of a nation being split down the middle more or less on which sport it supports is pretty unique to Australia, as far as I can tell. I know the Brits have a region where league is played too but soccer seems to be king everywhere there, it's more about who's the number two football code

I know this is all off topic but until the games start I figured I might be indulged. when they start here it's Collingwood vs Richmond. my in laws are long time Richmond fans so that's who I gotta go for I think

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

My cousin's kid plays for the Newcastle Knights and is doing alright so I must sadly now say that League can continue to exist... for now

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
:siren::siren::siren:GET YER TIPS IN:siren::siren::siren:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solemn Sloth posted:

which is the one that had the 19 year old kid on three different steroids?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Harley Bennell has been named in our lineup, can't wait to see how his calf explodes between now and saturday

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Harley Bennell has been named in our lineup, can't wait to see how his calf explodes between now and saturday

Just hope it isn’t in the first quarter

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Ofcourse it is.

Glad footy is back! The code is gonna get a huge boost of international viewership - I follow the NFL and American sports quite a bit and have been watching/listening to some Pods, and the Americans are excited to watch. Unfortunately they're all going for "Coxzilla" which means they're supporting the Pies.

Toby Greene needs to be a little more self-aware and come out in a Cobra Kai outfit.

Most fans in the US are casuals who support the Dallas Cowboys, or New England, or other big clubs too. I’ll keep my ears open as to how it’s received in the States too, but it’s different than if the AFL had continued through April and May when there was literally nothing else sports-y.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/aamer_rahman/status/1270515143529697281?s=21

Really interesting thread, Collingwood, Peter Helliar, and Waleed Aly are terrible, water is wet.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah Waleed is a white collar neolib who wants a better status quo, he's been especially terrible on indigenous issues but he's still better than 90% of the media (gently caress)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
footy footy footy FOOTY

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't forget tips and fantasy teams

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/IntegrityUnit/status/1270919914530848768?s=19

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Don't forget tips and fantasy teams

The only fantasy team I'm interested in is a competent one

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Richmond and Collingwood players taking the knee tonight before the game. Hope they do it during the anthem.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

sounds like he couldn't help himself and went out for a root or something

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I can't remember a time I was less enthused about the return of football. Not sure exactly why. Maybe because I already know that the Crows are going to be rubbish this year.

50/50 whether I'll even bother to watch the Showdown on Saturday.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/AaronGocs/status/1270978315793252352?s=19

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

teacup posted:

Richmond and Collingwood players taking the knee tonight before the game. Hope they do it during the anthem.

Spedman posted:

https://twitter.com/aamer_rahman/status/1270515143529697281?s=21

Really interesting thread, Collingwood, Peter Helliar, and Waleed Aly are terrible, water is wet.

It'd be even better if Collingwood properly addressed their culpability in perpetuating the thing they're taking a stand kneel against.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
just turned on the tv for the first time in about 3 months

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

oh god they're using the piped in crowd

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

not sure what I'm a bigger fan of, the fake banners covering empty seats (though it appears the cheer squads put some actual junk behind the goals) or the "fans at home" reactions.

I just hope we all get to hear our favorite song after the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Quantum Shart posted:

oh god they're using the piped in crowd

worse

cgi banners on the seats

port adelaide in shambles

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I don’t mind the fake crowd noise, they haven’t made it obnoxiously loud and you can still hear the players yelling at each other.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wondering if whoever is running the crowd noise soundboard has a "BALLL!!!!!" button

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Lots of people on social media upset about the taking the knee thing. Whether its a good/bad/cliche way to show solidarity I'm not sure, but its just nice to see racists upset :)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It seems to just stay neutral unless a goal is kicked. I think I prefer the eerie silence, though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Along with the piped in crowds the players should cut promos between quarters

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Honestly what the gently caress is Wayne Carey doing on my screen

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol at Ollie Wines

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

snoremac posted:

Along with the piped in crowds the players should cut promos between quarters

Hey! A computer game took youses guy's place, daddy, thats haaard toymes!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

boy undead posted:

Honestly what the gently caress is Wayne Carey doing on my screen

AFL showing support for anti cop movements of all stripes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The crowd calmly endures and accepts the score review