Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
At this stage the lack of promotion just seems suspicious.

What is Villeneuve trying to hide from us?

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing were a con, with a little bit of the money going into photoshopping a few stock images, while the rest of the millions are dumped on French Canadian hookers and blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's just how he runs his ships. I was feeling the same thing at this stage of BR2049's production.

...then again, in retrospect I've always felt that film was disastrously under-marketed during production.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Now I'm imagining a Dune starring Steven Seagal as Paul.
“I’m gonna take you to the bank baron Harkonnen. To the blood bank.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody comes at him with a crysknife so he can do that disarming the knife spot he does in all his flicks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also I think I said it before but I'm like 97% certain that he was a massive juicer back in the day. It would explain just about everything about him and just what the gently caress happened to him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Paul: hrrm *mumble*

*Feyd's corpse explodes*

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Also I think I said it before but I'm like 97% certain that he was a massive juicer back in the day. It would explain just about everything about him and just what the gently caress happened to him.

Seagal on the juice? That's a new one I haven't heard before.Arnold and Stallone were into steroids (Sly still is ) but Seagal never looked or gave the juiced vibe.I don't think the best I have seen him looking is "thin".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seagal looks like the ur-example of dudes in wraparound shades who take selfies in their pickup trucks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

hump day bitches! posted:

Seagal on the juice? That's a new one I haven't heard before.Arnold and Stallone were into steroids (Sly still is ) but Seagal never looked or gave the juiced vibe.I don't think the best I have seen him looking is "thin".

Well first there how he runs or rather used to because let's be honest now. Nobody who has ever ran for cardio runs like that. Then there are the reports of his erratic behavior like Rob Schneider talking about how Segal could go from talking to him about how spiritually fulfilled and at peace with himself to screaming at an assistant about killing "whore ex wife" in a heartbeat. Which could be mood swings as the results of steroid abuse. Plus there's the fact that most of his roles these day are acted from him sitting in a chair, which could be the result of just the steroids taking their toll on his body years later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well first there how he runs or rather used to because let's be honest now. Nobody who has ever ran for cardio runs like that. Then there are the reports of his erratic behavior like Rob Schneider talking about how Segal could go from talking to him about how spiritually fulfilled and at peace with himself to screaming at an assistant about killing "whore ex wife" in a heartbeat. Which could be mood swings as the results of steroid abuse. Plus there's the fact that most of his roles these day are acted from him sitting in a chair, which could be the result of just the steroids taking their toll on his body years later.

It's always worth mentioning that steroids don't automatically make you ripped, they just give you the potential to be so. I could easily believe Seagal took them but was too lazy to put in the rest of the work.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I feel like cocaine could do a lot of that too. And just being a narcissistic slob

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Drugs don't make you an rear end in a top hat they just amplify the rear end in a top hat within.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rando posted:

Drugs don't make you an rear end in a top hat they just amplify the rear end in a top hat within.

- Tleilaxu proverb

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I guess what Steven Seagal has really showed us is if you don't die as Feyd-Rautha, you live to become Baron Harkonnen. a sandworm

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 1, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

hump day bitches! posted:

There are plenty of people that take performance enhancers who don't look like it, you still need to work out like crazy and have an extremely strict diet to come anywhere close to a Schwarzenegger look.

Plus there's absolutely no way old-rear end Seagal isn't taking all sorts of bootleg testosterone supplements at this point.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

they have withheld the trailer long enough for the two SA dune threads to converge to the point of being indistinguishable. A golden path!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I don't think gravy counts as juicing.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I don't think gravy counts as juicing.

Au Jus-ing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If there's sequels Stephen Seagal should play that Tleilaxu priest/lord/whatever dude that spends like an entire chapter securing/preparing sick rear end tactical super poison darts that are at an exact temperature to be concealed in a hidden wrist gun that can get past security but he still fucks up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If there's sequels Stephen Seagal should play that Tleilaxu priest/lord/whatever dude that spends like an entire chapter securing/preparing sick rear end tactical super poison darts that are at an exact temperature to be concealed in a hidden wrist gun that can get past security but he still fucks up.

Isn't it a really dumb rookie mistake too? Like he keeps fidgeting and pointing his sleeve at the BGs?

I just want a film adapation that embraces the Tleilaxu love of dumb nursery rhymes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nice.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't it a really dumb rookie mistake too? Like he keeps fidgeting and pointing his sleeve at the BGs?

A little, but the BGs are supposed to be extremely perceptive as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

u brexit ukip it posted:

A little, but the BGs are supposed to be extremely perceptive as well.

Masters of staying alive, I hear.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It took many years of preparation, but now at last, Steven Seagal can do his impersonation of Will Sasso as Steven Seagal

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I read dune once over a decade ago. Same with the Lynch movie. I'm rereading it now and it's clicking in an entirely different way this time. Just an absolute blast. Looking forward to rewatching Lynch and Jodo's Dune, and trying to watch the scifi one for the first time.

The reread is getting me simultaneously pumped for the movie and worried about how safe it's going to play it/how an impossible needle to thread this is. It doesn't look as outlandish as I'd hope but the casting is on point.

Friendship ended with STAR WAR; now DUNE is my best friend

e: also doesnt Segal basically sign autographs for cops to get honorary deputy badges? I know he had that COPS ripoff show where he waddled around arresting people

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 8, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ingmar terdman posted:

Looking forward to rewatching Lynch and Jodo's Dune, and trying to watch the scifi one for the first time.
I’ll probably end up rewatching the Lynch version but I’m scared to watch the miniseries again. I only saw it when it first aired. I stumbled across a clip of the navigator folding space on YouTube and I thought it was a fan clip somebody filmed with green screens in their basement.

The main positive I remember was that some of the costumes were neat and I liked that everybody had weird accents. Some of that was probably just from hiring cheap Eastern European actors but I don’t think I’ve seen another sci fi thing were people spoke in wildly different accents. In a real galactic empire the diversity of accents in a shared language seems like it would be staggering.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

david_a posted:

The main positive I remember was that some of the costumes were neat and I liked that everybody had weird accents. Some of that was probably just from hiring cheap Eastern European actors but I don’t think I’ve seen another sci fi thing were people spoke in wildly different accents. In a real galactic empire the diversity of accents in a shared language seems like it would be staggering.

Might I recommend Babylon 5?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

david_a posted:

I’ll probably end up rewatching the Lynch version but I’m scared to watch the miniseries again. I only saw it when it first aired. I stumbled across a clip of the navigator folding space on YouTube and I thought it was a fan clip somebody filmed with green screens in their basement.

At least the first couple hours are on youtube and clicking around it does look pretty clunky but I'm curious to see how much closer to the book it gets. Same reason I want to watch King's Shining.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Might I recommend Babylon 5?

There's never a bad time to recommend B5.

Ingmar terdman posted:

At least the first couple hours are on youtube and clicking around it does look pretty clunky but I'm curious to see how much closer to the book it gets. Same reason I want to watch King's Shining.

It's clunky but it does have some bright spots; it's worth watching imo.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The miniserieses are pretty drat good imo. Yeah the fx are clunky but it's not that big a deal really, it's Dune not starwars! It's actually quite a lot like B5, in that it feels more like a stage play than a typical tv show/movie, which is pretty appropriate imo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have trouble looking past miniseries Paul and his extremely 90s hair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
The main problem with Paul in the miniseries is that he acts grumpy and spoiled. I understand the choice, because book Paul has been taught to keep his own council and a lot of his characterization is just stuff going on in his head.

I'm one of the weird people who sticks up for the production design in the miniseries and criticizes the film. I think that an unimaginably wealthy spacefaring aristocracy ought to have extravagant costumes. Most of the miniseries' sins are down to lack of money. The film has great design, of course, but I think some of the costumes were much too samey.

Well first there how he runs or rather used to because let's be honest now. Nobody who has ever ran for cardio runs like that. Then there are the reports of his erratic behavior like Rob Schneider talking about how Segal could go from talking to him about how spiritually fulfilled and at peace with himself to screaming at an assistant about killing "whore ex wife" in a heartbeat. Which could be mood swings as the results of steroid abuse.
I doubt that's because of steroids. Seagal has always been a manchild who worships icons of heroic violence, and reconciles that with his hippie New Age values in really weird ways. He cowrote a novel about an ICE agent who is also a Native American shaman.

Dawgstar posted:

It's always worth mentioning that steroids don't automatically make you ripped, they just give you the potential to be so. I could easily believe Seagal took them but was too lazy to put in the rest of the work.
Case in point, Tim Sylvia did steroids, and claims he did it only out of vanity, but always looked like poo poo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I watched the first hour or so last night and I can't fault it for budget, and the 90s cgi is kinda charming. Pretty valiant job trying to preserve the book and reassign lines to people to establish things without losing momentum.

But I agree that Paul is played as an impatient know-it-all teen which feels a bit much. Back to back to back scenes where it feels like he's away at college trying to talk his dad through resetting his netflix password

And speaking of dad, William Hurt is sleepwalking through this thing haha

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alec Newman was a jacked 26 year old playing a whiny 18 year old.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I liked how the miniseries took a more theatrical approach, it just felt more appropriate.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-steven-seagal-is-so-30004354/

The Seagal talk reminded me of this. Listen if you want to know more about this turd of a human.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I like BtB, and that might be my favourite episode.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

UmOk posted:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-steven-seagal-is-so-30004354/

The Seagal talk reminded me of this. Listen if you want to know more about this turd of a human.

I appreciated the Always Sunny episode where Mac's cousin visits and Mac tries to assert his badassness, reenacting some Seagal greatest hits in the process like making GBS threads himself after handily losing a fight.

Also Seagal is a ridiculously horrible piece of poo poo, like drat, what an rear end in a top hat, monster really is the best word.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Masters of staying alive, I hear.

You can tell by the way I use my voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
not many people know about seagal's music career :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4-zYghodc