Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I took a phone call in a call center from Buff Bagwell's wife because he was looking for health insurance. The one time my wrestling knowledge helped since I informed her his broken neck would be considered a pre-existing condition that would probably disqualify him. Then I got yelled at for saying that. From my boss, not from Buff Bagwell's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Buff Bagwell is one of those guys who sucked but was far more entertaining than 99% of whatever happened in wrestling after WCW died.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animal-Mother posted:

Buff Bagwell is one of those guys who sucked but was far more entertaining than 99% of whatever happened in wrestling after WCW died.

Buff didn't suck, though, especially before his neck injury. He'd be in the top half of current WWE workers today, most likely, and top tier as far as character work, but that's mainly because WWE doesn't train half the guys properly.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Buff Bagwell is basically a human muppet, which is one of the most important skills a wrestler can possess.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I didn't get to see any WCW at the time but I got a video of Spring STampede I think it was? Scott Steiner was there with Buff in his Stupid loving Hat and I swear, Buff was the star of the show to me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Von Linus posted:

I didn't get to see any WCW at the time but I got a video of Spring STampede I think it was? Scott Steiner was there with Buff in his Stupid loving Hat and I swear, Buff was the star of the show to me.

A competent company could have got a lot mileage out of Buff back in the day, probably

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Few wrestlers have mugged for the camera with such perfect cheese as Buff did.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

"Vicious and Delicious" was a sick tag team name too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I HATED buff for decades until I figured out he was the only one having the time of his life and being open about it. If Buff was like "gently caress this, just going through the motions," you knew poo poo was bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

I HATED buff for decades until I figured out he was the only one having the time of his life and being open about it. If Buff was like "gently caress this, just going through the motions," you knew poo poo was bad.

"Hey Vince!! Did I do a good JOB for you???????"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
is Buff the biggest WCW star to go absolutely nowhere in WWE?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seams posted:

Buff or Jeff Jarrett. Tho Jeff's a little more complicated because of the existing animosity between the Jarretts and the McMahons everyone swears doesn't exist.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seams posted:

Arguably Sting

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jeff Jarrett had a couple of decent (in terms of time if nothing else) mid-card runs in WWE. Sting would've been the one until a few years ago, but he's been in a main-event angle and showpiece Mania match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

who lasted longer, Buff or Kronik

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does dusty count as a wcw guy

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

coconono posted:

Buff or Jeff Jarrett. Tho Jeff's a little more complicated because of the existing animosity between the Jarretts and the McMahons everyone swears doesn't exist.

wasn't there also the story that Buff pissed everyone off behind the scenes when he went to the WWF, which was compounded by the rumor that Judy Bagwell kept calling the office to ask about her son's push?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Who's the biggest WWE guy with the least successful WCW run?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

HHH or Undertaker, probably?

Edit: Edge was also there for a hot minute, I think.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

iamsosmrt posted:

Bret Hart. Given that he was loving WWF Champion and coming off the heat of the screwjob, compared to what they did with him over his run...almost a complete waste.

Honky Tonk Man was such a pain in the rear end he got himself fired super quick even though he was a friend of Hogan.

Jake the Snake got himself fired after a single PPV as well.

Tato fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 11, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Troy Queef posted:

wasn't there also the story that Buff pissed everyone off behind the scenes when he went to the WWF, which was compounded by the rumor that Judy Bagwell kept calling the office to ask about her son's push?

I dunno how much of that is true and how much of it is the Anti-Buff Agenda.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

coconono posted:

who lasted longer, Buff or Kronik

I want to say Kronik, because at least they had an angle and a match that was built up for PPV, even if it was so bad that it got them sacked. Buff's match with Booker was announced out of nowhere at the start of the Raw it main evented, and the only other thing I remember him doing in WWE was be part of a mob of random WCW midcarders who got to beat up Shane and Booker at the end of the following Smackdown.

The beginning of the Invasion was so bizarre and will never not be perversely interesting to me.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

How about Tugboat/Typhoon becoming the Shockmaster?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I found out not too long ago that the reason Undertaker was let go from WCW was because the head booker at the time (it was either Ole or Bill Watts) thought someone with red hair couldn't get over. Fucken lol

And I don't think I'd count Jeff Jarrett as a WCW guy failing to get over in WWE because the WWF was where he made his first run on the national stage.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah biggest WWE guy going nowhere in E: lol WCW, had to be Bret

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I should've qualified my question with jumping from WWF to WCW as opposed to guys like Taker or HHH.

Bret's probably the best answer and Ed Leslie's probably the inverse answer of shittiest WWF guy who ended up main eventing WCW's top show.

Edit: then again, Bret was at least a top level guy, even if he was misused. Was Tug Boat a big deal in the Fed during this run? I remember seeing him as a kid and thinking he was the Hulkster's goofy looking sidekick during that Earthquake feud.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ed Leslie main eventing anything was a collective fever dream.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Ed Leslie main eventing anything was a collective fever dream.

that match was better than Cena/Miz lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shoutout to the Booty Babe tho.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bootyman not starting a tag team with Mr. rear end was the biggest missed opportunity of the Invasion

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tugboat was never pushed much harder than jobber to the stars in WWE (he was the guy who would beat the Dino Bravos of the world, get built up as kind of a threat, and then be murdered by Earthquake and Undertaker). At least as a singles guy, the Natural Disasters were treated better

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah the Natural Disasters were scary as hell to me.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

holy poo poo, I was literally at this. I was confused as all hell at the time. I went to a couple of WCW tapings in my late teens and this was by far the weirdest.

I definitely signed up for a Sting-themed capital one credit card at one which kind of ruined my credit for a couple of years, because I was 18 and didn't understand it wasn't a free money card, but I don't think it was this one. although I probably did buy tickets and lodging for this event on that self-same card. I kind of wish I still had it now. man, WCW was truly cursed, and I still love it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

holy poo poo, I was literally at this. I was confused as all hell at the time. I went to a couple of WCW tapings in my late teens and this was by far the weirdest.

I definitely signed up for a Sting-themed capital one credit card at one which kind of ruined my credit for a couple of years, because I was 18 and didn't understand it wasn't a free money card, but I don't think it was this one. although I probably did buy tickets and lodging for this event on that self-same card. I kind of wish I still had it now. man, WCW was truly cursed, and I still love it.

There were five total and goddamn do I wish I had the Buff Bagwell credit card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4vMhgaBjY

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's been ages since Sting retired, but when Cody did Sting's hands-to-his-mouth WHOOOOOOOOOO before doing a Stinger splash a couple weeks back made me nostalgic as gently caress.

Sting was always my favorite.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Animal-Mother posted:

I hated Bagwell back in the day, which makes me appreciate him now. I thought I wasn't a mark.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I hated Bagwell back in the day, which makes me appreciate him now. I thought I wasn't a mark.

You got worked into a shoot, brother. Happens to the best of us.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

coconono posted:

Buff, easily. Jarrett already had a solid body of work as a midcarder.

I see Sting got mentioned as well, but at least he was treated as a big deal special attraction, and probably would have worked a few more matches were it not for an injury.

The better question would be "who got the worse on-air send-off? Buff or Jarrett?"

Buff got the poo poo knocked out of him by Austin and Angle and literally thrown out of an arena, while Jarrett had Vince go "he's ggoonnee."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Jarrett did embarrassing poo poo in WWE but he had a bunch of midcard title runs and got inducted into their Hall of Fame so I'm not sure he was really held back all that much considering most agree he was overpushed in WCW and TNA. I mean maybe his natural ceiling is "transitional champ" or something but he got a better treatment from WWE than most WCW guys.

I mean. Putting aside Sting and Buff and all the midcarders and all the guys who weren't hired... loving DDP. Man.