Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think this is the longest ive ever gone without getting a cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

has anyone used one of these things?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000833316239.html

i would kinda like to use my dslr for macro video while teaching next semester, but it can't stream video over usb so i gotta use an hdmi capture card, but most of those things on amazon are from 80 to 300 dollars. does a 15 dollar one seriously work or is there some bullshit going on here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

idk op but it has great reviews

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ive seen those on aliexpress and was wondering that myself

i mean, it'll do something. it might not be the framerate or resolution u want but it'll do something.

no but real talk? u know what that really is?

its a cheap easycap analog composite capture device with a cheap hdmi to composite converter inside.

it converts the hdmi to 640x480 analog video and captures that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
china really beats the poo poo out of the US in terms of designing stuff that works good enough to do something passably well and then making ten billion of them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Those hoverboards are a perfect example. They are basically just like two pressure switches and two DC motors and a big rear end battery in some cheap plastic. There was a good podcast where they tried to figure out who "invented" them and it was basically just some drunk Chinese engineers from like ten different companies that each manufactured a single piece slapping all the poo poo together. The US had a guy with a complicated patent with gyros and PID controllers like a segway and in the end you don't need any of that poo poo because people can just balance on their own.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

china really beats the poo poo out of the US in terms of designing stuff that works good enough to do something passably well and then making ten billion of them

a natural effect of having all the world’s production capacity.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

good luck w/ the next 30 years of self quarantine op

good news I’ve had a lot of practice

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Stereotype posted:

Those hoverboards are a perfect example. They are basically just like two pressure switches and two DC motors and a big rear end battery in some cheap plastic. There was a good podcast where they tried to figure out who "invented" them and it was basically just some drunk Chinese engineers from like ten different companies that each manufactured a single piece slapping all the poo poo together. The US had a guy with a complicated patent with gyros and PID controllers like a segway and in the end you don't need any of that poo poo because people can just balance on their own.

yeah they're "good enough" that you're not allowed to bring them on planes anymore because they tend to explode or catch fire while in storage lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
china is good at manufacturing but i tend to avoid anything that was engineered there

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah they're "good enough" that you're not allowed to bring them on planes anymore because they tend to explode or catch fire while in storage lol

yeah that's just because lithium ion batteries are poo poo

Boeing also built an entire plane with the same problem

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

idk op but it has great reviews

Those are like normal AliExpress reviews. I think they're machine translated or something. I wouldn't necessarily put stock in them but their weirdness doesn't necessarily mean the product won't work either.

Lol if they're just converting to analog, though.

You can get those $40 network HDMI extender things off Amazon or AliExpress and capture the stream apparently.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 11, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

china is good at manufacturing but i tend to avoid anything that was engineered there

word on the street is that their metallurgy is rubbish compared to great usa

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

saw pics of put-in bay last night. shits fuckin spring break

gd it. just leave them on the island if you ask me, don't sent the ferry

fart simpson posted:

same here. lots of coworkers would come in with a 'sniffle' or multiple sick kids at home and turn our open office into a sick ward all winter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

There was another thousand deaths today. a 9/11 every three days seems like a big deal but apparently not.

Midjack posted:

it turns out you can get used to just about anything

oof

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah i've basically given up on caring about it.

i've had my fill of quarantine. nobody else seems to care so i'm just going back to normal.

except still working from home.

i like to think about how many people am i willing to kill to receive this good or service if i get and spread the vid

slammed nacho platter at chili’s doesn’t rate

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

this is one unexpected benefit to having a kid in daycare during quartimes. their anti-covid protocols are also anti-everything protocols. normally we’d be sick roughly every third week at minimum

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

china just started being able to make ball point pens all by themselves lol

however they've already eclipsed freedomland in racism so we're p much obsolete at this point

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this is one unexpected benefit to having a kid in daycare during quartimes. their anti-covid protocols are also anti-everything protocols. normally we’d be sick roughly every third week at minimum

aside from masks and social distancing (and even masks should still be worn if you are sick) all of this poo poo is thing we probably should be doing anyway. its insane the amount of stuff we are going to go back to not cleaning once we open em up

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

china just started being able to make ball point pens all by themselves lol

however they've already eclipsed freedomland in racism so we're p much obsolete at this point

lol i didn’t know about the ball point pen thing, i take back what i said, they actually suck at everything

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always think of China as the US minus 60 years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
one of my coworkers has a wife who is involved somehow with electronics manufacturing and regularly has to go to china for like a week or so in order to personally check up on the processes

because if they don't send someone then the quality of their materials mysteriously starts diminishing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I always think of China as the US minus 60 years

kinda same. they (also india,vietnam, etc.) have industrialized very quickly. I’m hoping they keep up with that fever pitch and are also fast to move into alternative energy and stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

they just found asymptomatic carriers don’t appear to transmit the disease since they’re not coughing or sneezing

so unless u happen to have seasonal allergies and are positive yet asymptomatic you aren’t likely to kill someone because u wanted loaded nachos

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
idk the covid information storm just make me doubt anything I come across, until its run through institutional bureaucracy which makes it a bit better but still suspect just because of the politics

its all bad folks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah thought i had sigs off

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

i like to think about how many people am i willing to kill to receive this good or service if i get and spread the vid

slammed nacho platter at chili’s doesn’t rate

sound on

It really is literally all the boomers care about lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

sound on

It really is literally all the boomers care about lmao

~~trash life~~

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
looool just learned from my immediate boss that literally the only person in my company that is and was against remote working was the ceo/owner/small business tyrant

that all the other managers had to fight to even get him to meet about setting up the vpn stuff to make it possible, which ended up being the night right before the county forced everyone to close lmao

and now he's pushing to go back asap. the HR lady has to keep telling him that no, we all can't just go back wearing masks and call it done, there are legal guidelines to follow about minimizing staff in the office even once they lift the "you can't open" order (which they have not done yet), and that they haven't even put together the plan you hafta submit in order to open etc etc

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looool just learned from my immediate boss that literally the only person in my company that is and was against remote working was the ceo/owner/small business tyrant

that all the other managers had to fight to even get him to meet about setting up the vpn stuff to make it possible, which ended up being the night right before the county forced everyone to close lmao

and now he's pushing to go back asap. the HR lady has to keep telling him that no, we all can't just go back wearing masks and call it done, there are legal guidelines to follow about minimizing staff in the office even once they lift the "you can't open" order (which they have not done yet), and that they haven't even put together the plan you hafta submit in order to open etc etc

seek new employment?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Your ceo sounds like a dumbass petty tyrant for sure

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
end small business sinecures

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

end small business sinecures
covids trying its best give it time!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

seek new employment?

yeppppp

i need to go get hired on by caltrans before they enact a hiring freeze

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they just found asymptomatic carriers don’t appear to transmit the disease since they’re not coughing or sneezing

so unless u happen to have seasonal allergies and are positive yet asymptomatic you aren’t likely to kill someone because u wanted loaded nachos

apparently expelling respiratory droplets while talking has never been a thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they walked this back like literally the next day lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
welp the chuds got dr. amy to quit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

they walked this back like literally the next day lol

Welp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeppppp

i need to go get hired on by caltrans before they enact a hiring freeze

everyone I know personally in any kind of large project infrastructure stuff has switched from private firms to government work in the last 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I finally got a slot at the Ikea to go and pick up the stuff I ordered two weeks ago and it coincided with a zoom meeting. So I'm doing the meeting from a fake Ikea living room