Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

For every job paying $17/hr for a sysadmin there's some dildo making $90k to reset passwords.

I feel personally attacked.

Jokes on you, our passwords are 4 character min limit with no expiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm also an underpaid public employee, but at least all pay increases and promotions were suspended due to Coronavirus!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Who's more overpaid? Tape swapper or password resetter?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm also an underpaid public employee, but at least all pay increases and promotions were suspended due to Coronavirus!

I work for a bank and previously for an MSP who contracted for the same bank...I've had one raise in an 8 year period. gently caress the bank and the MSP. Why doesn't IT seem to have a union anywhere?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

Y'all motherfuckers need some collective bargaining, jfc.

i say this to everyone i meet/work with and they all just laugh it off, because "IT job market is great man what the gently caress nobody needs this we can go our own way!"

meanwhile, IT wages have been dropping quite nicely over time. every time there's a decent crash, wages drop pretty hard. during my lifetime, by far the best time to be in IT was 90s, my older brother caught that ride. straight out of high school, he got his highest paying + easiest job. then dotcom happened and nothing's been as good since. i experienced the same thing, getting out of high school in 2005, then 2008 happened and gigs haven't been as good since. i only make a bit more now than i did in 2005, but i have 15 years of exp and have managed to have poo poo running incredibly smoothly.

corona crash plus one or two more and flipping bits is gonna be paid about as well as flipping burgers, entirely thanks to idiot libertarian IT culture lmao

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Truga posted:

i say this to everyone i meet/work with and they all just laugh it off, because "IT job market is great man what the gently caress nobody needs this we can go our own way!"

meanwhile, IT wages have been dropping quite nicely over time. every time there's a decent crash, wages drop pretty hard. during my lifetime, by far the best time to be in IT was 90s, my older brother caught that ride. straight out of high school, he got his highest paying + easiest job. then dotcom happened and nothing's been as good since. i experienced the same thing, getting out of high school in 2005, then 2008 happened and gigs haven't been as good since. i only make a bit more now than i did in 2005, but i have 15 years of exp and have managed to have poo poo running incredibly smoothly.

corona crash plus one or two more and flipping bits is gonna be paid about as well as flipping burgers, entirely thanks to idiot libertarian IT culture lmao

Pre-corona the market in my area was still pretty great.

I dont know how you can reasonably expect the job market to not change for an industry over 30 years. In the 90s virtualization, SDN, etc werent a thing. It took more people to run an operation. Now fewer people can do far more. Its up to the individual to keep their skillset relevant.

I know plenty of people similar to your brother that got in at the right time early and basically were promoted to management or kept getting raises. But that ship has sailed, and those people are increasingly out of touch and either getting layed off or retiring anyway.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 11, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

We have a "datacenter manager" who's daily task is pretty much looking for warning lights on the physical equipment. He occasionally racks new equipment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dont know how you can reasonably expect the job market to not change for an industry over 30 years. In the 90s virtualization, SDN, etc werent a thing. It took more people to run an operation. Now fewer people can do far more. Its up to the individual to keep there skillset relevant.

yeah, I completely agree, which is why i find the whole mentality funny. a few weeks ago somewhere on this forum i got the "oh yeah? people have been saying the IT job market will crash any day now for 30 years, hasn't happened yet!" response, while another market crash is about to take another 20-30% off the bottom lmao

in short,

Antigravitas posted:

Bob Morales posted:

their boss

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Antigravitas posted:

if i were to say union out loud i am sure i would be let go for not being able to work with the culture of the company.

Antigravitas posted:

I'm underpaid but in my position as a public employee at least I am underpaid with raises slightly above inflation. :colbert:

Y'all motherfuckers need some "communism".

before this last 50 cent raise i was getting paid less after 3 years years and obtaining a ccna then when i started if you look at raises - inflation. Now i make about 0.3% more then when i started.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

For every job paying $17/hr for a sysadmin there's some dildo making $90k to reset passwords.

I don't care if you refer to me as a buttplug, I would reset passwords for a living for $90k no questions asked.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Truga posted:

Every time someone tells me "ohhh IT is a great job. Maybe I should do IT." I just smile and reinforce all their wrong misconceptions. I nod and tell them how easy it is and how much it pays and that it's not 'real' work and it's not stressful... blah blah blah... Basically just parroting all the things I've been told about my job by people who have no idea what the gently caress "IT" even is. I'll cheer them the gently caress on and pass them off to one of the bajillion recruiters that would never leave me the gently caress alone.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Pre-corona the market in my area was still pretty great.

I dont know how you can reasonably expect the job market to not change for an industry over 30 years. In the 90s virtualization, SDN, etc werent a thing. It took more people to run an operation. Now fewer people can do far more. Its up to the individual to keep there skillset relevant.

I know plenty of people similar to your brother that got in at the right time early and basically were promoted to management or kept getting raises. But that ship has sailed, and those people are increasingly out of touch and either getting layed off or retiring anyway.
Yeah unfortunately the ignorance tax has been greatly reduced since computers started becoming ubiquitous. So now you have to go further out from the general 'I touch computers' to something more specialized that people can't comprehend when you try to explain it to them, like "Cybersecurity."

I can't wait for the whole vernacular to shift and instead of saying "I work on computers" we get to say "I work in the cloud."

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Every time someone tells me "ohhh IT is a great job. Maybe I should do IT." I just smile and reinforce all their wrong misconceptions. I nod and tell them how easy it is and how much it pays and that it's not 'real' work and it's not stressful... blah blah blah... Basically just parroting all the things I've been told about my job by people who have no idea what the gently caress "IT" even is. I'll cheer them the gently caress on and pass them off to one of the bajillion recruiters that would never leave me the gently caress alone.

I'm close to burned out at my job right now, but am hopeful we get more people hired soon for our open positions. Still while people have a lot of misconceptions about how "easy" IT is, there are still a lot of worse careers out there. Every time I daydream about being an electrician or going into construction ala Office Space I remind myself that I get to sit in a nice climate controlled office all year and that I dont have to beat my body to hell to work for a living. Its not perfect but its not the worse career choice.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Looking at old trades is the worst. I opened this one before open and felt pretty smug about my gain

Current price of that option? $77.50 :stonk:

Also closed out a 8DTE 3080 yesterdya for 1k, worth 10k now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Do you work for my org?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm close to burned out at my job right now, but am hopeful we get more people hired soon for our open positions. Still while people have a lot of misconceptions about how "easy" IT is, there are still a lot of worse careers out there. Every time I daydream about being an electrician or going into construction ala Office Space I remind myself that I get to sit in a nice climate controlled office all year and that I dont have to beat my body to hell to work for a living. Its not perfect but its not the worse career choice.

Yeah totally.
I mean I'm pretty comfy in my current job. Honestly I wish I had just become a journeyman instead of going to college. Electrical work, plumbing, AC repair etc, at the single family home level is actually pretty easy. It gets a little more complicated when you lateral to different types of non-commercial structures like small apartments and townhomes but it's still not bad. Commercial units are a whole different bag of dicks though and you really need to know your poo poo to not kill yourself or everyone around you.
For the most part though, code is code and if you know it, you're good.

Anywho, unlike being an IT Systems Engineer, you're not likely to get some incredibly dumb request like "I need you to engineer an entirely new and different type of AC system for this already completed building using these existing systems.
Also it can't cost any money.
Also it needs to be done by tomorrow.
Also, your job is on the line. And tomorrow I'm gonna drop another bombshell on you.

I think the movie Office Space did a pretty good job of portraying how much bullshit is in an office environment vs the complete lack thereof in construction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm pretty sure there's just as many stories that electricians have about clients that want to pay gently caress all but expect miracles to be performed.

Anyway, just to put some nails in the coffin that office work is somehow different from other industries and there's no need for any sort of collective bargaining, have a read of https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/21155254/automation-robots-unemployment-jobs-vs-human-google-amazon

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apropos Amazon: https://www.lastweekinaws.com/blog/why-i-turned-down-an-aws-job-offer/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bob Morales posted:

Then there's the dildo at the top making $1M+ to gently caress up the company, or do nothing useful, at best.

Zil posted:

I don't care if you refer to me as a buttplug, I would reset passwords for a living for $90k no questions asked.

That, too. I have no pride, and my job has always been an end to my means, not my joy of life.

Thanks Ants posted:

Anyway, just to put some nails in the coffin that office work is somehow different from other industries and there's no need for any sort of collective bargaining, have a read of https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/21155254/automation-robots-unemployment-jobs-vs-human-google-amazon

You know that scene in Metropolis, with the worker moving the hands of a clock-like dial to keep up with flashing lights?
That's this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bought the remastered blu-ray of Metropolis back in 2010 and I shamefully haven't watched it yet

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Work has been talking about instituting an on-call rotation where we get paid a pittance to be oncall for a week at at time.

Today they are instituting it but due to current economic conditions are not paying us, but they promise we will be paid in the future.

Taking bets on actually getting paid in the "future" odds are 1000000:1

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weird how you can't get to your phone

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love to know what a sane functioning on call looks like. Right now we just get comp time and it SUCKS.

No matter what scenario we come up with it always boils down to this. We have 4 network staff, we have 4 server staff, like 20 helpdesk people. If a site goes down, or Veeam blows up or something we cant trust helpdesk to handle one of those calls. No matter what, management wants 1 server person and 1 network person on call for emergencies. So %25 of our life on call.

I dont know what the answer is. I'd take extra money but I'd just prefer to not be on call.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

"they’re already in the business of making fun of themselves by launching services with names like Systems Manager Session Manager. "

That was pretty good.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd love to know what a sane functioning on call looks like. Right now we just get comp time and it SUCKS.

No matter what scenario we come up with it always boils down to this. We have 4 network staff, we have 4 server staff, like 20 helpdesk people. If a site goes down, or Veeam blows up or something we cant trust helpdesk to handle one of those calls. No matter what, management wants 1 server person and 1 network person on call for emergencies. So %25 of our life on call.

I dont know what the answer is. I'd take extra money but I'd just prefer to not be on call.

8 person team. 1 week on call rotations. So you're on call like once every other month.
You get comp time for taking a call, 1 hour minimum, travel time not included if required.

It's really not the worst thing in the world, but our comp time is capped to 100 hours so it's kind of a moot point because I wind up losing a bunch of comp time or vacation time at the end of the year anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 11, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

Work has been talking about instituting an on-call rotation where we get paid a pittance to be oncall for a week at at time.

Today they are instituting it but due to current economic conditions are not paying us, but they promise we will be paid in the future.

lol wut? All of this can be summed up with "no, gently caress you"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Weird how you can't get to your phone

Yeah, I was talking to another engineer and we both agreed to go about living our lives, I'll answer the call if I am awake, at home and doing nothing but otherwise lol.

I also warned them that I sleep like the dead so a phone call is not going to wake me up, but it seemed like they thought it was a joke. It's honestly true I don't wake up for my phone but i'm 100% going to never answer even if it wakes me up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You're always camping outside of cell signal.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MF_James posted:

My current position pays an extra 10 hours at 1.5x your pay just for carrying the phone all week. No calls, you still get the extra 10 hours.

If you get a call, that is billed at 1.5x your rate (2x on holidays) in 15 minute increments. I am only responsible to get the client's application up and running, and will do an RCA during business hours. If I determine an issue is network related or a hardware problem, I call the NOC and they handle it. So far there's no cap on OT. I had 20 hours from a nasty outage and thought for sure I would get called on it but people just kinda went, "Oh....you'll love that payroll deposit next week!"

I have worked places before where on call was "factored into your pay" (bulllshit) and you were judge and jury for any calls you get. It SUCKED and the place could never figure out why they had high turn over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We get $90/day to just be on standby, my team of 4 rotates the on-call phone, and we're on-call for weekends/holidays only. If we get a call it's immediate 4 hours of 1.5x pay, even if the call takes 10 min to resolve. Every half hour after that is another pay increment at double-time.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

We get $90/day to just be on standby, my team of 4 rotates the on-call phone, and we're on-call for weekends/holidays only. If we get a call it's immediate 4 hours of 1.5x pay, even if the call takes 10 min to resolve. Every half hour after that is another pay increment at double-time.

Yeah but this is probably because you have that, uh, whatsit thingy, you know, the evil thing that socialist commie countries have that's evil and bad.

Oh right. Unions.

YAY AMERICA FREEDUM FOR ALL

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I was talking to another engineer and we both agreed to go about living our lives, I'll answer the call if I am awake, at home and doing nothing but otherwise lol.

I also warned them that I sleep like the dead so a phone call is not going to wake me up, but it seemed like they thought it was a joke. It's honestly true I don't wake up for my phone but i'm 100% going to never answer even if it wakes me up.

I have my phone set up to go into DND mode at night, only calls from certain contacts will even ring. Might be something worth setting up.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The approach I'd take is that these calls could be coming in on anniversaries, date night, and kids' birthday parties. Coming in an hour late on Tuesday won't make those days come back, and the company needs to respect your time. I recommend discreetly approaching the server and network team employees (not management) how much they think their time should be worth for taking a three hour call on Christmas Eve. That was my 2017, I was out of state, and it sucked. Get each team to agree that there must be modest reimbursement for working on call, and have each team approach their manager with the request. If leadership balks, one option is to put your foot down--this on call request is an added responsibility and there hasn't been a corresponding increase in compensation. You're not going to start shutting off your phones after hours, but reachability is best effort going forward. If they want someone to even look at their phone on Christmas Day, they need to make it worthwhile. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth doing. With our on call program, we used to get $20 a weekday, $50 for weekends and $100 for holidays. Honestly, $20/day is not worth it to take a call after hours, but by getting paid every day, call or not, it evens out. When people volunteer to take on all on call responsibilities, you're doing something right.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not really sure what kind of answer I'm looking for but just want to vent somewhere :sigh: I've been furloughed - along with I think 40% of the company I work for - for two months now. I'm taking classes to get a degree (an associate in IT, really just trying to do something with the college credits I earned almost a decade ago now but dropped out before finishing due to being in the wrong major) and the time off from work has actually been super nice so I can focus on finishing school while still earning a relatively decent paycheck with the extra COVID money. To make a long story short, call times at work are bad I guess because they're calling people who were furloughed and asking them to come back - but instead of return to where they were pre-covid asking that they are transferred to our Customer Service dept where they'll be given a Tier 1 Rep title with no guarantee that they'll ever actually make it back to their old jobs. The kicker being they are straight up saying that if they make this offer to you and you turn it down, they'll notify the unemployment office that you refused work and tender your resignation immediately, effectively cutting off my ability to get unemployment.

I haven't gotten a call about this yet but am kind of expecting to at this point because some co-workers of mine in similar positions were given this offer. Supposedly they are keeping people on the same salary but just making you do T1 CS phone calls now instead of whatever you were doing before. I've worked here for ~8 years now and climbed my way through call center support desk jockey through our IT/Help Desk dept and when furloughed I was a manager of the integration group with a team of 7 people working under me, worked daily on high profile escalations for multi million dollar businesses, and personally installed and managed the imaging server for our warehouse all while managing a small group of employees under me so to say this would be quite a demotion in daily tasks would be an understatement. I really want to tell them to suck my ballsack for doing tenured employees this dirty but it's a pandemic so I can't exactly go out and find new jobs right now. Should I just suck it up and do the grunt work again, assuming my pay rate won't change? It probably won't be hard, but I've been in a position that doesn't have to take calls for ~4 years now and was hoping to not have to go back to that again. Finding a new job has been in the back of my mind for a while now because I have an insane commute but we were working remote so I'd just be taking calls in a queue from home I guess.

Edit: My other option (which I'd probably try first before anything else) is call my boss and see if he can pull any strings at all to get me back to where I was. I know they're hurting, they cut a dept of 9 down to two and expected them to do more work since almost half the company was furloughed and they're barely staying afloat.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 11, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

The kicker being they are straight up saying that if they make this offer to you and you turn it down, they'll notify the unemployment office that you refused work and tender your resignation immediately, effectively cutting off my ability to get unemployment.

Supposedly they are keeping people on the same salary but just making you do T1 CS phone calls now instead of whatever you were doing before.

I was going to say that I think this might be illegal, but at the same salary that may no longer be the case. Can't hurt to reach out to your boss. Otherwise, I'd say do it and do the absolute bare minimum while looking for another job.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

oh rly posted:

Not at all. As a BA or BA manager, your skills are transferable between many groups and will serve you well in any role in the future. Job duties of a BA can consist of gathering requirements, light to heavy project management work, acting as subject matter expert, QA and UAT testing, documentation, training end users, or support. Every company is going to have a different definition of the BA role. As manager, you're going to manage the BAs. Hopefully, you'll get to control how your BAs work and how they impact the company.

If a BA doesn't want to go down a technical path, they can transition into project management or product management.

If you want to go technical, use your relationships as a BA to spend time with the team you want to join and spend time learning the technical skills. You should at least be familiar with all the concepts of the systems you're supporting so you can work with end users for requirements. After that, the goal is to work with the technical folk to let you actually work on the system you're supporting to get you the technical experience.

Thank you!

This is what I was thinking would be how it would be play out and I've been told that I'll have control over the way the BA role functions so I'm hopeful.

I appreciate the sanity check.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

I was going to say that I think this might be illegal, but at the same salary that may no longer be the case. Can't hurt to reach out to your boss. Otherwise, I'd say do it and do the absolute bare minimum while looking for another job.

Yeah up until the salary thing I was incredibly dubious of the whole thing. Thanks for confirming to take the sane option and not do what I feel like doing (telling them to pound sand). I just had to work for a company whose survival is based on whether or not restaurants make money :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
we get a lieu day for every week we’re on call even if we’re not paged

The form asks how many hours overtime we’ve worked and presumably we’re compensated for that. I wouldn’t know, seeing as we’ve had no pages in a year and change.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks Ants posted:

I bought the remastered blu-ray of Metropolis back in 2010 and I shamefully haven't watched it yet

That should be the copy I bought a couple of years ago, with the additional footage from the Argentinian negative, The Complete Metropolis. Watch it!
It's a good sci-fi film.

Internet Explorer posted:

Might also be worth checking with your state unemployment office about that, as well.
I dunno - doing grunt work for manager pay... eh, maybe?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Our helpdesk received a ticket today for a user who says they don't have a computer issued to them and they need one to do their job. What the gently caress have they been doing for the past three months of WFH?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Welp I got asked to come back but in support where I worked years ago and not CS so I'm less salty about the situation since I'll sort of know what I'm doing. I'll take calls and work tickets for a manager's salary until I get called back to the actual department I'm a manager of. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

guppy posted:

Our helpdesk received a ticket today for a user who says they don't have a computer issued to them and they need one to do their job. What the gently caress have they been doing for the past three months of WFH?

its your job to not ask questions and respect the grift