Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Minto Took posted:

My church was logjammed by free samples. I hope they never come back.

Every church I’ve been to has been jammed by samples. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Cast out the samplers, blender evangelists, the unholy credit card hawker. Free the aisles!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Samples will get you killed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dely Apple posted:

the unholy credit card hawker. Free the aisles!

but it comes with a free bag

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coredump posted:

I like the samples.

Edit: Were those Nordicware Woks any good? I’m wanting to do some stir fry and want to get a wok, but don’t have a pressing need for one yet. Costco doesn’t have the Nordicware ones at the moment and I’m wondering if they were good enough to wait for them to come back in.

Anything by Nordicware is going to be good, so if you don't need it right now I would wait.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dely Apple posted:

Cast out the samplers, blender evangelists, the unholy credit card hawker. Free the aisles!

Don't forget about the stupid loving Direct TV salesperson.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Nfcknblvbl posted:

salesperson every single week: if you don't mind me asking do you have a cable provider at home?
me, bouncing between spare bedrooms for 6 months after my house burned down: i don't have one

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

binge crotching posted:

Anything by Nordicware is going to be good, so if you don't need it right now I would wait.

I like Nordicware products but I feel like the pro move for a wok is, provided it's easily accessible for you, going to your local Chinatown and buying something there for like $15.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Gaius Marius posted:

Did they already place it on the counter? The foodcourt is a closed system, once the item touches the counter it's contaminated, nothing should go in only out. Everyone and everything inside should be covid free, screened, sanitized and gloves on. Taking back a cup could introduce contamination.

You can also just ask for dogs with no buns. Just ask.

Yeah they did already put it on the counter but I nor anyone else hadn't touched it yet. but I understand. Still wasteful.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Solar panel person too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Had one of those guys try to slide into a TV sales pitch after pretending he could give me info about the pellet grill I was looking at

I do NOT respect the hustle

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

There's a morose lady who sits by the air conditioner model as you walk out, I have never seen a soul talk to her but she sits there like a semi-slumped Westworld host just waiting for someone to ask about... I guess vinyl siding or cooling or something.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
One time I was asked by a guy my age (30ish) if I was a homeowner (In SoCal) and I laughed and said no. He was like "Same bro, the struggle is real" and we fist bumped and I went on my way (towards the alcohol section).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dely Apple posted:

There's a morose lady who sits by the air conditioner model as you walk out, I have never seen a soul talk to her but she sits there like a semi-slumped Westworld host just waiting for someone to ask about... I guess vinyl siding or cooling or something.

We've got that lady at ours too and I always make a point to say hi to her because she looks so lonely. Never have I seen anyone actually stop and talk about furnaces or a/c or w/e.

Of course she's been MIA since this pandemic started, so I hope you're ok Lennox Lady!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone buy the CostCo office chair lately? How is it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Its good. Mine creaks a little after only a few months. My wife has one from a couple years ago which is from the same company and has the same features, but has a slightly different look to it, her's does not creak. But its definitely got a premium feel and build quality. I probably just need to grease something.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Chinatown posted:

Solar panel person too.

At my Costco the home services people (besides the cable guy) are on the way out and they're always very pleasant with a "have a nice day". I don't mind them. In fact I want to get solar through them but I know it's probably some scam.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1270956846027665408?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The pamphlets they give you have literally zero information besides “go to our website.” Like drat give me some dollar numbers or something

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Squashy Nipples posted:

FogHelmut posted:

Its good. Mine creaks a little after only a few months. My wife has one from a couple years ago which is from the same company and has the same features, but has a slightly different look to it, her's does not creak. But its definitely got a premium feel and build quality. I probably just need to grease something.

if you can afford it, buying a used Herman Miller or Steelcase is absolutely the way to go. Especially if you are a goony fatass.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fallom posted:

The pamphlets they give you have literally zero information besides “go to our website.” Like drat give me some dollar numbers or something

I hate that poo poo. The website probably says call us for a quote.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dely Apple posted:

She's in my church too, but she has a buddy in the guy who's forced to sell solar panels.

lol Ken Jennings owns

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

phosdex posted:

I hate that poo poo. The website probably says call us for a quote.

Solar is one of things where pricing will vary wildly from state to state, county to county, city to city depending on labor costs, utility rates and rebates available. No way they could guess that stuff ahead of time.

The solar guys in my store are from SunRun which is who I got my solar system from several years back. Works fine and suits my needs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought a TV from Costco.com 7 business days ago that said it’d be here 7-10 business days later and it still hasn’t shipped. I feel like there are a lot of problems with the deliverers for Costco which is very odd considering how great all their other poo poo is. Sad!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Solar is one of things where pricing will vary wildly from state to state, county to county, city to city depending on labor costs, utility rates and rebates available. No way they could guess that stuff ahead of time.

The solar guys in my store are from SunRun which is who I got my solar system from several years back. Works fine and suits my needs.

That's why you tell me the range and I being a human being and can understand that it's an estimate and could be different. I hate when companies tell me to request a quote. No gently caress you tell me the price of what you're trying to sell so I know if it's worth pursuing. If it's something like custom furniture you can show me examples and what those were priced at.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know why they don't do it and it's because the big installation companies can work some psychological magic when they get a high pressure salesman in your door but that is not The CostCo Experience

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

That's why you tell me the range and I being a human being and can understand that it's an estimate and could be different. I hate when companies tell me to request a quote. No gently caress you tell me the price of what you're trying to sell so I know if it's worth pursuing. If it's something like custom furniture you can show me examples and what those were priced at.

The range varies so wildly that it would be meaningless.
It would be like asking someone "how much to redo my kitchen?" when they have no idea the size, shape or materials of your kitchen. Could be $5k, could be $100k.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The range varies so wildly that it would be meaningless.
It would be like asking someone "how much to redo my kitchen?" when they have no idea the size, shape or materials of your kitchen. Could be $5k, could be $100k.

Well you see all cases are unique so we just have no idea how much you're case will cost. That's a lie. That's always a lie. Hospital? It's a lie. Furniture maker? Lie. Solar installation? They certainly know how much a given sized system will cost.

Wow you're right that's a huge range but you know you could show what a 5k kitchen redo is compared to a 100k and thus give your potential customer an idea of what there money would get them. Amazing! I'm a genius. I once requested the price for a flip dot display. I probably wouldn't have had I been unable to find the price elsewhere and already knew it was in the realm of what I was willing to pay.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I was more just talking about the kind of stuff where it's like here's a brochure, for more info visit our website. You visit the website and its just a rearranged version of the brochure with call us for more info. You call and its just a barely trained call center person reading their website and telling you they'll setup a call with a sales person.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I detest the sales of all home improvements. You should definitely be able to say a window replacement can be as low as X, for a given size. That will help me decide if I want to replace my windows or not and how much to save. I very much wanted to replace the windows at my last house but I couldn't figure out if it was the difference between taking a vacation or not, or never taking a vacation again so I just never did it.

I'm in the same position again with half of my house having good windows and the second floor having the original ones. I've got more money now so I can probably actually start the process, but I still want to save that money specifically for the windows. I also don't want to meet a half dozen window contractors.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anybody with any kind of experience should be able to give you a ballpark.

I don't need an exact quote, but it would be nice to know if we're speaking about "hundreds" or "thousands" before I go and waste everybody's time. Obviously I know solar panels aren't a few hundred, but am I looking at low thousands, or tens of thousands? I have no idea. I'm new to this whole adult responsibilities thing, I don't know what things cost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Look around on the intent. I’ll loving guarantee there’s some solar panel forum full of nerds who can tell you exactly what you want to buy for your use case, how much it should cost for whatever size you need, and who the good and bad companies are.

gently caress I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a thread for that in DIY or something.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look around on the intent. I’ll loving guarantee there’s some solar panel forum full of nerds who can tell you exactly what you want to buy for your use case, how much it should cost for whatever size you need, and who the good and bad companies are.

gently caress I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a thread for that in DIY or something.

A nerd forum will tend to excitedly quote you the lowest price anyone on the forum ever got as a regular customer who drinks with the salesman every night and is also his uncle, minus 10%.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FYI the Kirkland knockoff of the zero sugar Vitamin Water is really good. Picked up a flat last time and I've been enjoying them.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of the more local incentives are based around your usage, so often the solar company will need to look at your last year of electric bills to determine what (potentially very significant) discounts you may be eligible for.

Still, they should be able to to ballpark the job with a few simple questions (square footage, central air, electric vs gas appliances, etc.).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

Anybody with any kind of experience should be able to give you a ballpark.

I don't need an exact quote, but it would be nice to know if we're speaking about "hundreds" or "thousands" before I go and waste everybody's time. Obviously I know solar panels aren't a few hundred, but am I looking at low thousands, or tens of thousands? I have no idea. I'm new to this whole adult responsibilities thing, I don't know what things cost.

The short answer is that a decent amount of solar will probably run you $15-20K and absent incentives from your state and the fed (all gone at this point) will probably have payback periods of 15-20 years. and a lifespan of 25-30 years.

The long answer is that there will be a “capacity factor” for your area, which reflects how northerly you are, how much cloud you get, how much of the day you get sun on average throughout the year, how directly overhead the sun is (adjusting them multiple times a year will help slightly), etc. So out of a 800W panel you might get 300W average real output because you don't generate power at night and because you lose some more power due to imperfect angles/clouds/etc.

Smaller installations tend to be less financially efficient because you have to buy the inverter gear and set up the installation anyway, there is a "fixed lower cost" pretty much regardless of how much you generate. But larger installations that generate more power than you can use in the house also tend to be less efficient unless you have “net metering” where the power company pays you the same price for generated power as when you consume it. If they are paying you wholesale power rates (like0.02 a kWh) then whatever excess you generate is effectively “lost”. If you have a battery installation or an electric car that can soak it up then that’s better, but that’s another ten grand. Unless you have net metering, you kind of want to aim to generate the amount that you can actually use on a regular basis.

What the people sitting at costco were really selling you was "we'll loan you the money now and you can pay it back like a mortgage!". The solar stuff is only an incidental aspect in the business of getting you to sign a $20k loan at 7% interest or whatever.

Back when the payback was 5-10 years it was probably worth it if you could afford to flat-out buy the gear, or take out some kind of equity loan at like 3% or whatever from a decent quality financial institution to install it. Now, you have a 15-20 year payback on something with an effective lifespan of 25-30 years. Absolutely not worth it unless you have the money sitting around and are looking for something to do with it. And even then it's better now to just park it in the stock market.

Which is a loving shame because it delivers power that doesn’t have to travel through the grid and provides some relief at the peak of the summer - my local power company doesn’t want to pay to upgrade its capacity and so they blew up two substations at the peak of the summer heat wave last year, but they also very much do not want to pay net metering or give any other incentives to install solar. I think that’s a real common story in a lot of places (hello California PG&E starting wildfires).

But if you're doubling your money in 30 years, that translates into a 2.25% APY or so... at which point you're better off just putting your money in the stock market and buying someone else's power/letting the wildfires burn.

Also, don't put solar on your roof, they have a tendency to burn down houses. If anything goes wrong you have a fire sitting right on your highly flammable asphalt shingles or in your attic, and that's very difficult to fight effectively especially when you've got a bunch of electrical gear sitting right there. If you've got some landscaping you could yank out and replace with panels sitting on rocks/gravel, that's a much better idea.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 12, 2020

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

salesperson every single week: if you don't mind me asking do you have a cable provider at home?
me, bouncing between spare bedrooms for 6 months after my house burned down: i don't have one

$1000 Cutco Knife Salesman: "Hey, you should buy these knives!"

Me: "No thanks."

$1000 Cutco Knife Salesman: "Your wife will really appreciate it!"

Me, 1 months after a bad divorce, shares a knowing look with my 13 year old son: "I was always the cook of the family."

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

FYI the Kirkland knockoff of the zero sugar Vitamin Water is really good. Picked up a flat last time and I've been enjoying them.

This the sparkling water with the blackberry flavor or something else? I like the sparkling water if I really want something that tastes sweet

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

This the sparkling water with the blackberry flavor or something else? I like the sparkling water if I really want something that tastes sweet

The stuff I'm talking about is uncarbonated, like gatorade/vitamin water. The La Croix knockoff is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

At some point recently they got a new recipe for the take and bake pizzas. I haven't tried the new ones, but the old ones were bad. The only good thing about them is that it was cheaper to buy a pepperoni pizza just for the 2 lbs of sliced pepperoni on top than to buy packaged pepperoni.

wtf, my costco stopped carrying take and bake pizzas and is using that space for taco kits and salad kits and poo poo.