Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

General consensus is that if you liked the first, you’ll like this too, especially for $10. However it has a lot of bad open world gameplay decisions that hurt it, the combat is so-so and the story is rear end. Still there’s fun to be had regardless.

Morter posted:

I played it and liked it. I think there's more (unarmed) combat than the first but it's been a while since I played either. I had fun with it, as I always have fun FPS parkour. I'd say give it a shot!

Alright cool, sounds good to me! I didn't really play the original for its story, so the rest seems good to me - more of the same, from the sounds of it. I'll pick it up then - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Morter posted:

Is there any info on this? I looked at the twitter but got no information from it.

Have you looked at the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality page? Or are you just wondering what the new games are? You can read the itch.io bundle thread over here, they've been noting (some) new stuff as it gets added.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Technically I'm getting this on Uplay but who gives a poo poo- Far Cry Primal. Opinions? Just a safe open-world shooter?

I hope it's not racist like 3 or a complete slog like 4.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 11, 2020

J
Jun 10, 2001

zedprime posted:

It hasn't saved me any money in the long run but I am impressed by the Ship of Theseus ability on PC builds these days. Living the dream of the 2000s to replace one part at a time. Everything's been replaced but the case and original HDDs.

It's due for a motherboard/processor/ram re-up and those HDDs should probably be consolidated on a new drive and I'll probably get a new case at that point because the accessible USB ports have been burned out.

I always find that when I want to start doing upgrades, the CPU I want has a new socket that doesn't fit my motherboard. If I have to do a motherboard replacement then I'm just going to do an entirely new build at that point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Technically I'm getting this on Uplay but who gives a poo poo- Far Cry Primal. Opinions? Just a safe open-world shooter?

I hope it's not racist like 3 or a complete slog like 4.

Far Cry Primal is genuinely one of the best in the franchise. The gameplay meshes really well in a world without guns and it's super atmospheric.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

It was surreal seeing EA real time sabotage it by releasing it between battlefield and cod releases and immediately slashing the price in half. Guess thats what they get for boasting how you buy the game you get the game no DLC needed.

Bit late here but this is a good thing, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 5 and Battlefront 2 all released without any paid DLC and all three of them have maintained good player bases on both consoles and PC because of it. They even managed to kinda sorta fix Battlefield 5 with this final patch, weirdly enough. Not splitting the playerbase on MP titles is fundamentally good and luckily other studios are following that example.

Obviously the insane release timing of Titanfall was not good and I'd love to hear the story about that in a decade on some podcast.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of EA, a new raft of games just showed up on Steam. Looks like ME 3/A, Battlefield and Battlefront games.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

MZ posted:

Same, Nioh didn't click with me and this is coming from someone who has played & enjoyed all of the recent FROM games.

I beat Nioh and the surge games after consistently bouncing off of every souls game I've tried to play. I feel like they're a lot more twitch based? Like I'm loading the verbs of the game into my impulses rather than my brain. Yknow I'm not like cognitively thinking "this is this attack, step back parry attack" just pressing the buttons on the controller. For ball boy, a strategy that worked for me on him (and all enemies because that's who I am) is to live inside him. It feels safer to try and keep your distance and dodge his swings but I found it a lot easier to just press against him and move with him. It's a lot shorter distance to go from in front to behind than it is to move along the outside radius of his attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Also it ran TERRIBLY.

This is weird, with nioh’s mode that dropped the resolution to increase frame rate it ran at a smooth 60 FPS for me on a basic PSPoor, and unlike from software games it also doesn’t reload assets for the same area unnecessarily so the loading screen after death was <2 seconds long. had a hard time getting along with the gameplay for reasons I’ve mentioned before but on a technical level it was great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

J posted:

I always find that when I want to start doing upgrades, the CPU I want has a new socket that doesn't fit my motherboard. If I have to do a motherboard replacement then I'm just going to do an entirely new build at that point.
If not socket then bus speed links your mobo, CPU, and RAM. But compared to the 2000s we haven't really had a new PCI connector come out so your graphics card can live it's full life anywhere, power supplies have settled down to high power high efficiency without much better coming on the scene especially as gfx card power requirements also drop, and were only just now seeing alternatives to SATA standards most mobos have been supporting forever and still saturate most flash drives.

I've built a PC in 2005, 2008, and 2011 which each had largely different architectures that encouraged a total rebuild. The 2011 has been the Ship of Thesis because even when my power supply burnt out in 2015 and I replaced the mobo/CPU/RAM before figuring out out, everything else carried forward in a way that didn't even happen in the small 3 year windows way back when.

E. Reiterating this isn't really a better value or anything. If anything it's spendier, the 2015 upgrade was a total desperation replacement at lowest cost and I could have gotten a much beefier computer if I did a full refresh the couple years later when I also upgraded the gfx for the same price time adjusted.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 11, 2020

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Battlefield 3 is the game that introduced Origin way back then, the first game to not be on Steam. This is the moment many were hoping for about 9 years ago.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

Speaking of EA, a new raft of games just showed up on Steam. Looks like ME 3/A, Battlefield and Battlefront games.

I believe they are planning for weekly releases. Sims 4 is supposed to be next week. Hopefully Titanfall 2 before long.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Anno posted:

Wait poo poo, really?! Is ME3 as good as the first two? I recall hearing that MEA wasnt very good though, but that might be me mis-remembering.
And what about Dragon Age 2 - has that aged well? drat, I might actually have to start forking cash over to EA again!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ME3 is a land of contrasts

The actual gameplay is the best out of all three games, Vanguards especially kick rear end to play, but a lot of story beats from the first two games get really perfunctory YOU GOT BONUS POINT resolutions and most people hated the ending so, so much that they put all their faith in an even stupider fan ending.

DA2 has some nice moments but is mostly a mess, and MEA is just an even hotter mess.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 11, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dragon Age 2 is my favorite game with a button to awesome connection, mixed messages about zealotry and racism, and is set in a single city to treat the city as a growing character itself. I know it's a lot of qualifiers but it's not a bad game, I don't think.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I see Mass Effect 3, a ME3 DLC bundle, and Andromeda. Did they not release the DLC for 2? Hopefully it just hasn't popped up yet.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Maybe you're just a dumb piece of poo poo who shouldn't play video games. idk. just trying to help.

please take your ableist prejudices elsewhere, friend; videogames are for everyone :)

Anno
May 10, 2017

Just got an email saying that Journey is out now on Steam.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Wait poo poo, really?! Is ME3 as good as the first two? I recall hearing that MEA wasnt very good though, but that might be me mis-remembering.
And what about Dragon Age 2 - has that aged well? drat, I might actually have to start forking cash over to EA again!

When they came out, the most vocal opinion online was that DA2 and ME3 were bad games (mainly by how they ended). Like the worst. So I guess that's the concensus.

Personally, it's been a while, but I have fond memories of both. Hell I think ME3 is great. Fun gameplay with cool characters and some story beats that hit. If you like ME2, play 3. Just don't expect Witcher 3 or whatever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Journey is artsy as gently caress in a good way and super mega chill. $15 is worth it IMO, but your mileage may vary.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Cartoon Man posted:

Journey is artsy as gently caress in a good way and super mega chill. $15 is worth it IMO, but your mileage may vary.

Shows up as 25% off for nearly a month to me. Definitely worth it either way if someone is looking for a chill time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME3 is a great and addictive co-op game with an optional story mode.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cool my email didn’t show a sales price, just the actual price. 25% off is definitely good.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

I played DA2 last year for the first time since its release because of morbid curiosity of whether it was really as bad as I remembered and I can say it definitely earned its reputation for being poo poo. It has probably the laziest level design I've ever seen in a game, the encounter design is just as bad and story/characters are not great, either. It didn't even take advantage of taking place in one small area to make that area have any charm or interesting aspects.

I get it had a fast turn-around but I think the design document for the game was 90% focused on having the ability to hate gently caress your party members.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 11, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Zetsubou-san posted:

I've played this and can confirm that solving the more complex puzzles does cause "me am smart person now"

Oliver Sack's The Minds Eye is one of my favorite books.

The Mind's I, surely?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Journey is one of my favorite games ever. I bought it on ps3 and then on ps4 and will buy it a third time to throw the devs some cash and give it a steam review since it sadly did poorly when it first released. either its specific combination of lights and music will not affect you and you’ll just think it’s whatever and not understand why anyone cares about it, or it will get you and it will be one of the most memorable things you ever play. You can finish it in 2 hours so set aside that much time to play through it in one uninterrupted sitting - if you get a companion, you’ll both want to be there to the end

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So youtube videos of Beyond Blue are coming out and it looks like they took a chillout ocean life exploration game and decided the main character shouldn't be simply an avatar by which you can explore a neat world, but instead should be a be a sarcastic livestreamer all about ME ME ME and likes.

I'm watching a let's play now and the main character's biggest accomplishments so far are "berating the sidekick radio tech guy for not giving her the exact answers she wants" and "taunting her audience about betting they wish they could do what she's doing right now but they can't haha."

Another weird thing is that she seems to have absolutely zero sense of awe or wonder about where she is or what she's doing. The opening is a tiny bit expressive with stuff like "my grandma and I used to dive and I was entranced" but in the actual game it's different. One of the first things you see is the gigantic whale floating by and the un-hesitant first thing out of the character's mouth is something impatient like "how long does it take for the scanner to work" followed by the tech saying "well it depends on several factors" to which she replies "Oh, so you don't know. Got it."

gently caress off.

Beyond Blue: Karen Goes Deep

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 11, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

John Lee posted:

The Mind's I, surely?

nope, the brain has sorts of ways to screw up what the eyes tell it

quote:

One case study is of the acclaimed concert pianist Lilian Kallir, who suffered from posterior cortical atrophy yet was surprisingly resilient despite the numerous deficits it caused; the effect on her musical abilities was particularly notable. While her memory and personality were intact, she had problems processing visual stimuli, and was no longer able to read words or music, yet for years lived an extremely active life, frequently performing entirely from memory, with no one but her husband knowing she had any problems.

One chapter is devoted to the case of Howard Engel, author of a popular series of mystery novels. Due to a small stroke, he developed alexia sine agraphia—an inability to read, while retaining the ability to write.

and Dr. Sacks himself had Prosopagnosia

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 is a great and addictive co-op game with an optional story mode.

i'm not gonna lie, i was tempted for a second there to drop the $15 on it just to give the multiplayer a spin for old times sake. but it looks like it's actually $15 for the game and then $15 for all the multiplayer expansions which, gently caress that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not gonna lie, i was tempted for a second there to drop the $15 on it just to give the multiplayer a spin for old times sake. but it looks like it's actually $15 for the game and then $15 for all the multiplayer expansions which, gently caress that.

I don't know how the Steam release handles it, but all the multiplayer expansions are free. Or they're supposed to be at least.

I see that they're listed in the DLC bundle, but also so is the Extended Cut DLC which is also free. I saw someone on the Steam forums say that they got the extended cut with just the base game, no idea about the multiplayer dlc

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Apparently the Journey port was garbage when it first released on Epic - did they fix it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If you buy Mass Effect 3 on Steam, does it integrate with your Origin account or is it native to Steam?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Zetsubou-san posted:

nope, the brain has sorts of ways to screw up what the eyes tell it

and Dr. Sacks himself had Prosopagnosia

It was a (bad) joke, because what I said was the name of another reasonably popular book. I AM a big fan of Sacks, though - my local library has most of his work!

...I also might have a mild case of prosopagnosia myself! I often find myself needing context clues to figure out if characters in movies are the same guy from before or a different one, if they have the same hairstyle or something.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
They put up Battlefield: Hardline too, huh? That's.. hum. Funny enough, it originally came out in march 2015, a few weeks before the Baltimore protests.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I bought Journey and it added Flower automatically.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

So youtube videos of Beyond Blue are coming out and it looks like they took a chillout ocean life exploration game and decided the main character shouldn't be simply an avatar by which you can explore a neat world, but instead should be a be a sarcastic livestreamer all about ME ME ME and likes.

I'm watching a let's play now and the main character's biggest accomplishments so far are "berating the sidekick radio tech guy for not giving her the exact answers she wants" and "taunting her audience about betting they wish they could do what she's doing right now but they can't haha."

Another weird thing is that she seems to have absolutely zero sense of awe or wonder about where she is or what she's doing. The opening is a tiny bit expressive with stuff like "my grandma and I used to dive and I was entranced" but in the actual game it's different. One of the first things you see is the gigantic whale floating by and the un-hesitant first thing out of the character's mouth is something impatient like "how long does it take for the scanner to work" followed by the tech saying "well it depends on several factors" to which she replies "Oh, so you don't know. Got it."

gently caress off.

Beyond Blue: Karen Goes Deep

lol yes!

it's really pretty annoying and so far the game doesn't add anything you can't have in the much more chill ABZU

LIKE SHARE SUBSCRIBE!!

GreatGreen posted:

If you buy Mass Effect 3 on Steam, does it integrate with your Origin account or is it native to Steam?

all EA games from their return phase are requiring Origin and are listed there as "Steam" games.

ymgve posted:

Apparently the Journey port was garbage when it first released on Epic - did they fix it?

no idea what "garbage" means but the EGS Journey runs and works just fine

haldolium fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 11, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haldolium posted:

lol yes!

it's really pretty annoying and so far the game doesn't add anything you can't have in the much more chill ABZU

LIKE SHARE SUBSCRIBE!!
Boy, that sucks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to be generous to Beyond Blue you can assume if the main character isn’t just a silent avatar you can hope that it will also have some margin of character development and will not remain insufferable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

So youtube videos of Beyond Blue are coming out and it looks like they took a chillout ocean life exploration game and decided the main character ... should be a ... livestreamer

gently caress off, indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haldolium posted:

all EA games from their return phase are requiring Origin and are listed there as "Steam" games.

oh wait i forgot about this stupidity. i already own mass effect 3 on origin, i was going to pay $15 for the convenience on having it on a launcher i actually have installed with the idea that there'd be a more active multiplayer community due to it just showing up today. if the thing is actually just installing origin and then using their servers it defeats both of those points