Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JUNIOR PROM, by Mary Jo and Bridget is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do you all think of solo riffs? I was interested in the Predator riff until I learned it's just Mike doing it himself.

I dunno, I love hearing their banter back and forth and laugh at each others' jokes

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Davros1 posted:

JUNIOR PROM, by Mary Jo and Bridget is hilarious

God those 40s teen movies are such a weird look into pop culture of that era.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was wary, but Over the Top won me over, and then I enjoyed Cocktail immensely.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, on the note of good films they riffed, they also did Halloween.
https://www.rifftrax.com/halloween

I found it while looking under the Horror category. I was checking to see if they had done Species to complete my binge of 90s films that I remember very vividly from my youth.But Halloween's a way better movie anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

After watching the Jack Frost riff, i have three main thoughts:

1. I have a whole new level of respect for Killer Klowns From Outer Space, a movie I already loved, but JF really shows that writing an intentionally bad/silly horror film is actually difficult and requires some level of talent.
2. How the hell did this film get a sequel? I saw the sequel a lot on cable back in my early teens. I always assumed the original must have been better but boy was I wrong.
3. This is still more memorable than Keaton's Jack Frost which is just a dime-a-dozen feel good kid flick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

1. I have a whole new level of respect for Killer Klowns From Outer Space, a movie I already loved, but JF really shows that writing an intentionally bad/silly horror film is actually difficult and requires some level of talent.

Kevin mentioned once that when you make a bad movie on purpose, the only thing you've succeeded at is failure (talking about Sharknado 2, I believe).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you all think of solo riffs? I was interested in the Predator riff until I learned it's just Mike doing it himself.

I dunno, I love hearing their banter back and forth and laugh at each others' jokes
when rifftrax first started it was mike alone and he used to throw out a lot of trivia and factoids as well as jokes and it i thought it was pretty cool
*holds signed canival of souls dvd* I'm not old, i'm not old

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm biased because The Fifth Element is already my favorite movie, but that's a great Mike-only riff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

NikkolasKing posted:

Road House was awesome.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

I love Mary Jo & Bridget, because they're always cracking each other up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Usually they bleep swears but Kevin really lets one out in the new riff, The Return.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

when rifftrax first started it was mike alone and he used to throw out a lot of trivia and factoids as well as jokes and it i thought it was pretty cool
*holds signed canival of souls dvd* I'm not old, i'm not old

Remember when they promoted versions as "three riffer editions"? <crumbles to swirling dust>

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do kinda miss the guest riffer stuff, like Mike doing Jurassic Park with Weird Al or Troll 2 with some nerd who runs a dead comedy site. Janet Varney and Cole Stratton were funny, too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Return is amazing. Maybe better than Greydon Clark's masterpiece Final Justice. I love movies where you can pretty much understand what's happening in any scene, but it feels totally arbitrary where the story is going to decide to go next and the characters just have to go along with it. The riffs feel like a loving take on this piece of poo poo, though it sounds like they're still recording at home. It's also a 16:9 print which looks great, allowing you to really experience the lavish visuals.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Return is amazing. Maybe better than Greydon Clark's masterpiece Final Justice. I love movies where you can pretty much understand what's happening in any scene, but it feels totally arbitrary where the story is going to decide to go next and the characters just have to go along with it. The riffs feel like a loving take on this piece of poo poo, though it sounds like they're still recording at home. It's also a 16:9 print which looks great, allowing you to really experience the lavish visuals.

Somebody's gotta shove cow parts through a space hole.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Dawgstar posted:

some nerd

He apparently recorded another rifftrax with mike but I don't think it ever came out!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Something popped up today on the FB feed for MST3K about Mike doing a podcast with Doug TenNapel. Apparently this Doug guy is a raging homophobe. I have never heard of him, but I find this distrubing. I know Mike is a conservative and a devout Christian, but I can't imagine him hanging out with someone like this.

Opinions?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doug TenNapel is a billowing poo poo of a man deserving nothing but scorn and mike doing anything with him is frankly embarrassing and worrying.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think he did a guest appearance on some thing with him a few years ago.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1272409233456275457?s=20

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This isn't great

That's about all I can say

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, that's not at all good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should be glad I found out about it thru this thread than at random somewhere else.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
God drat it, Mike :sigh:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Mike sucks but Bill is a beautiful shining angel.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
careful not to deify celebrities but yeah, bill has always seemed like a pretty good guy. i can’t get a read on kevin, but then again i don’t have twitter, so who knows

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know about the guys personally is that when Sam Seder (a left-liberal/Leftist news guy) was fired from MSNBC and was losing advertisements on his own show because of an Alt-Right smearjob, Bill was one of the voices that tweeted out in solidarity with Sam and helped him get everything sorted out.

So he's cool in my book.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

careful not to deify celebrities but yeah, bill has always seemed like a pretty good guy. i can’t get a read on kevin, but then again i don’t have twitter, so who knows

I will allow

Wow that doesn't read right

I don't care if people are poo poo heads in private. I'm sure there are lot of people that I would disagree with or not like if I knew personal stuff about them that I wouldn't otherwise. If I don't know that they're a poo poo head, I'm not going to worry if they are or not. Kevin could or could not be, I don't know, and I'm not going to worry about it unless he brings it to the table.

Which is the thing.

If you don't like gay people but you keep it to yourself? Whatever, you do you. I'm not going to police your thoughts. If you make that part of your public platform or hang out with people that do that? That's a different subject. I was able to push a lot of doubts I had about Mike away because, whatever his views in that direction, he never voiced them and he didn't make them part of his online persona.

Him collaborating with a poo poo head though, that makes him at the least shithead adjacent. That needs to be addressed, and only he can do that. I hate that Bill even has to be brought in on this, or that Kevin has to be looked at in any way because of this, but they are associated with Mike.

Like I said

"This isn't great."

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
it’s impossible for one’s beliefs to not seep into their art eventually. it does matter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it’s impossible for one’s beliefs to not seep into their art eventually. it does matter.

Oh I agree with that.

Once it does, then I feel free and clear to tear into it. I'm just not going to worry myself to death if hasn't yet. I'd never be able to engage with any media otherwise if I had to do intensive background checks on every single creator, or live in paranoia for those that don't have any history of it but might just come out screaming racial slurs.

Just with Mike, we, at least in this thread, have been...worried about that. I think we've had similar discussions before though without any evidence that he might feel that way. It's been mostly positive on that front as, I believe it was Bill, even had them edit out some transphobic jokes from earlier riffs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!
Basically the only way this ends somewhat happily is if Mike publicly apologizes and steps away from the podcast, and renounces any racism, homophobia, etc. that he may have (inadvertently or otherwise) been a part of during his time on the podcast. At least that would be a step in the right direction in showing people that he realized he was wrong and is willing to change.

Unfortunately, most conservatives don't have the wherewithal to do that sort of introspection, and tend to double or triple down on their shitheel behavior, or do the "I'm sorry you were offended" bullshit apology. So I'm not very hopeful that's how this is going to turn out.

First Krist Novoselic, now Mike Nelson. 2020 is definitely the year of "Kill Your Idols", no doubt. :sigh:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress! I just found out about Audio Mullet a couple weeks ago and was afraid it would be something like that when I saw TenNapel was involved.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Basically the only way this ends somewhat happily is if Mike publicly apologizes and steps away from the podcast, and renounces any racism, homophobia, etc. that he may have (inadvertently or otherwise) been a part of during his time on the podcast. At least that would be a step in the right direction in showing people that he realized he was wrong and is willing to change.

Unfortunately, most conservatives don't have the wherewithal to do that sort of introspection, and tend to double or triple down on their shitheel behavior, or do the "I'm sorry you were offended" bullshit apology. So I'm not very hopeful that's how this is going to turn out.

First Krist Novoselic, now Mike Nelson. 2020 is definitely the year of "Kill Your Idols", no doubt. :sigh:

Wasn't sure what Krist said so I checked Wikipedia and... Yeah (he praised Trump for his handling of the DC protests to save everyone else a look).

Mike can talk to who he wants but if that person has already been determined to be a jackass beyond reproach, he should accept that there will be damage to his reputation and importantly for him a decrease in Rifftrax revenue if enough people care. Hell, it could affect Shout Factory too.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I knew at least two of the three of them had very different political leanings, but in different times I saw that as a plus. Rifftrax was a shining example of a "across the isle" partnership on a project.

Nowadays, if you are conservative, you either need to ditch your party or turn into a big bloated orange rear end in a top hat. I was hoping Mike would choose the former option, but he appears to be leaning towards the latter... I'm pretty sure once the transformation is finished, any good faith between Bill and Mike will be destroyed. Kevin recently made fun of Ben Shepiro on Twitter so I think he might take a have issues with Mike as well.

I might be wrong and Mike will denounce shithead behavior, and begin the process of changing course. But I'm not counting on it, at least from a personal introspection point of view. The most likely scenario is he'll see a loss of support for Rifftrax either through purchases online, Patreon, or their next Kickstarter, and the mighty dollar will make him give a half hearted apology. For me, if it gets to that point, then the gesture is meaningless and the damage will already be done, and more or less irreparable. The next few days will be vital for Mike and Rifftrax as a whole...

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I wouldn't care at all if Bill quit.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't know what the ownership structure is but it's conceivable that Bill and Kevin could buy Mike out of Rifftrax if it is a 3-way split, or triumvirate :eng101:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Another Bill posted:

I don't know what the ownership structure is but it's conceivable that Bill and Kevin could buy Mike out of Rifftrax if it is a 3-way split, or triumvirate :eng101:

Pretty sure Mike owns it, he started it up solo and brought Bill and Kevin along once it began to make money.

It's just a goddamn shame, Mike always seemed like what people meant when they said "compassionate conservative". He wasn't always out there proselytizing or ranting about it, and it seemed like he was generally on the right side of social issues. But reading that Twitter thread shows that, even if he wasn't necessarily a part of the racism/homophobia rants that Tenapel or whoever tends to do, he was still bitching about the pandemic-related lockdowns and having to wear facemasks as being trapped in a "police state".

Mike Nelson, I know you have/had an SA account, so if you're reading this: as a longtime fan, that's pretty goddamn stupid and I'm very disappointed in you. :smith:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hope they can work out their differences. I honestly don’t think I would buy any more rifftrax if Bill quit. Politics aside, Bill and Kevin make me laugh the most. But I don’t really want to lose any of them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The rest of the MST3k crew seemed pretty left, from what I remember. I don't follow anyone other than the main Rifftrax account and Bill/Kevin, but I remember Frank being pretty extreme online (and I'm pretty sure he was left), to the point that I had to unfollow him. Joel is an old hippy I believe, so maybe Cinematic Titanic needs to start back up again or something if there's a falling out at Rifftrax if Mike won't budge.