Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Today, thread, I got my first crank. I posted about them in the PYF social media thread, but as a tl;dr in one of my videos I briefly mention how Chris Brown's career didn't suffer too much despite him assualting the most popular pop star in the world (at the time).

Well, someone really took umbrage with that.

This person left me over 20 comments/replies in the space of 24 hours. Some of the comments they left were in other comment threads, involving people who had no idea what was going on. I have to give this person some credit because they called me things I had honestly never heard before (it's honestly flattering that someone thinks I am beung funded by billionaires).

... But in truth, I really just wanted to post this one because my god, it caught me off-gaurd:

Guys, I'm really, really sorry if I killed George Floyd. I just wanted to make Youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sephyr posted:

I can see it. Americans baptize their missiles, helicopters and such with native american names. Their way of trying to claim ancestral tradition to compete with old-world colleges just might be this.

Ok, Now what I really want out of the Harry Potter franchise once JK Rowling is bought out of it by Disney. (I give it 10 years, Mark It) Is a slobs VS Snobs college movie, just set in Hogwarts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

three things I always wanted to see in Harry Potter.

1: What happens to the muggle born kids who feel through the cracks and were never detected by the Ministery of Magic

That was one of the two plots that got smushed together in the first Fantastic Beasts film. Nobody except for Grindelwald knew that Credence was a wizard, and when he kept repressing his magical nature it caused the Obscurus to manifest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Why should I listen to someone who personally murdered George Floyd and framed the Central park five, you condescending, CAFAB-worshiping structural transmisogynistic, rent-seeking faux-woke-corporatist, abuse apologist aparatchik TERF commissar

I'm sorry, but what exactly is that person trying to say in between the insults? Are they defending Chris Brown, and if so, why the gently caress are they doing that?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sephyr posted:

I can see it. Americans baptize their missiles, helicopters and such with native american names. Their way of trying to claim ancestral tradition to compete with old-world colleges just might be this.

Another thing that irks me about the world of Harry Potter is the segregation. In the US like...four or five of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff are secret wizards. No loving way are they staying out of Muggle affairs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

McCloud posted:

Why should I listen to someone who personally murdered George Floyd and framed the Central park five, you condescending, CAFAB-worshiping structural transmisogynistic, rent-seeking faux-woke-corporatist, abuse apologist aparatchik TERF commissar

I'm sorry, but what exactly is that person trying to say in between the insults? Are they defending Chris Brown, and if so, why the gently caress are they doing that?

It kinda seems like they think Rihanna was abusive to Chris Brown as well? And they think that any condemnation of Brown that does not also a condemnation of Rihanna is an implicit endorsement of abusive women?? But also someone (Rihanna?) is grooming children, and Calico Heart is endorsing that too somehow???

This sounds like pizzagate poo poo obfuscated by ten layers of jargon.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 12, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, the idea that an American wizard school would use native american names....what? Historically speaking, this would not be happen. THey would be named after like...guys who led armies in the American Magic civil war or something.

I only know this because the conversation came up with friends a few days ago and I was wondering how bad the lore for the American wizard academy is but: the answer is that the American magical school was founded by an Irish witch who snuck over aboard the Mayflower and hid in the forest to escape her evil aunt. She rescued two kids who were the children of other wizard pilgrims and married a muggle white guy. The school grew up around training the two kids and her secondhand knowledge of how Hogwarts worked because she wasn't allowed to attend it, and I guess wizard pilgrims from all over started coming to her for training and also some Native Americans with magic too for some reason?

It's not a terrible setup (aside from the native people seemingly not having a way to train their wizards?) if you're just being lazy and want to make your American magic school closely resemble Hogwarts. Also she was some distant descendant of Salazar Slytherin, in case you thought you could escape that bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

three things I always wanted to see in Harry Potter.

1: What happens to the muggle born kids who feel through the cracks and were never detected by the Ministery of Magic

2: THe magic kids who are home schooled. THeres gotta be off the grid wizards.

3: The one kid who despite being told that electronic devices will not work on Hogwarts grounds, brought their gameboy anyway and is spending a lot of time in trying to get it to work.

Also, the idea that an American wizard school would use native american names....what? Historically speaking, this would not be happen. THey would be named after like...guys who led armies in the American Magic civil war or something.

i mean according to the newt movies WW1 happened and the wizard world was involved. idk some of the world building is really cool but alot of it(like a bunch of fictional universe) fall apart when you think about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean according to the newt movies WW1 happened and the wizard world was involved. idk some of the world building is really cool but alot of it(like a bunch of fictional universe) fall apart when you think about it.

The cracks for the Potter stuff seemed to occur pretty heavy when Rowling stopped telling a children's story where you didn't have to explain things (call it around book four) and fell in love with her own world-building but isn't a very good builder of worlds.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

It kinda seems like they think Rihanna was abusive to Chris Brown as well? And they think that any condemnation of Brown that does not also a condemnation of Rihanna is an implicit endorsement of abusive women?? But also someone (Rihanna?) is grooming children, and Calico Heart is endorsing that too somehow???

This sounds like pizzagate poo poo obfuscated by ten layers of jargon.

Right?! I literally can't make sense of it, I got the vague idea that Rihanna was abusive as well somehow and that OP was condoning it by not mentioning it but there's so much crazy there I couldn't begin to untangle it without spending half a day googling what this crazy person was saying.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The worst thing about the Hobbit movies was they took away the best character in the Uncharted series

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The cracks for the Potter stuff seemed to occur pretty heavy when Rowling stopped telling a children's story where you didn't have to explain things (call it around book four) and fell in love with her own world-building but isn't a very good builder of worlds.

i mean i am giant nerd who loves world building in almost anything. agreed. i genuinly liked the first magical creatures movie because i liked that it was a small story about some magical herper and his dumpy friend and his run in with the law. it wasnt about saving the world. than grindalwald was whatever the gently caress that movie was. i am not a harry potter fan but i sorta like the idea of wizarding world because it can probably work alot like 40k does. its big and creative enough that you can have very small weird stories or big stories and the universe is big enough to have it work. the issue is rowling wants to do the mistake that star wars made and have everything tie into some connected bow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is why I'd just join the Order of Hermes instead. Now these are real nerd-rear end wizards.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Star Wars expanded universe was the biggest mistake in media history tbh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Bee posted:

The Star Wars expanded universe was the biggest mistake in media history tbh.

yeah. i love star wars and poo poo but RLM is right in the fact that the universe is limited as gently caress. like yeah the old books were very miss and sometimes hit but at least they moved beyond palpatine somewhat.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is why I'd just join the Order of Hermes instead. Now these are real nerd-rear end wizards.

Moreso than the Society of Ether or the Virtual Adepts? (I'm not that familiar with M:tA stuff, so I am curious.)

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Max Wilco posted:

Moreso than the Society of Ether or the Virtual Adepts? (I'm not that familiar with M:tA stuff, so I am curious.)

Here's how it works: SoE are nerd-rear end wizards, VA are wizard-rear end nerds.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

IMO Harry Potter stands as one of the weakest "worlds" in fiction. This doesn't mean it's bad, depending on the story being told. It just means that if you pull on a thread - any thread - the whole thing can collapse.

Like, even something as mundane as the Night Bus. Who funds this wizard-only bus? TFL? How much money from London's budget goes into funding a magical bus that only .1% of the population use? Was the Night Bus regularity harmed by austerity? Does the driver have a regular pension or a wizard one? What if someone at TFL finds the "wizard pension" form and is like "wtf???" ? Is the wizard driver insured? By a mgical insurance company, or a muggle one? Do insurance agents need to know about wizards? Which muggles can do their jobs without knowing about wizards? Can a regular binman take out a wizard's trash, or do they need a wizard binman? What if they see some magic poo poo in the bin? What if one country in the world decided to use regular binmen instead of magic ones and the secret got out?

You don't even have to pull that hard, though. Dragons are loving real. How the gently caress does the world think dragons aren't real when they're presumably always existed alongside humanity throughout all time?

McCloud posted:

Okay, so what the folks in PYF Idiot on Social Media were able to parse together was;

1) All gender is arbitrary and assigned at birth. Thus, genders are equal
2) If genders are equal, then male-on-female physical abuse is equally bad as female-on-male abuse (and that emotional and physical abuse are probably also the same?)
3) When someone is hurt, they have a right to defend themselves. Thus, any act to defend themselves is not "abuse", it's "reciprocal abuse"
4) When Chris Brown beat up Rhianna in a car, they were both equally guilty and should have both been charged with assualt
5) By only mentioning Chris Brown's career, I am tacitly condoning or enabling female-on-male abuse
6) I then disrupt transgender-friendly legislature at a federal level

However, there was a lot of heavy lifting from interpretation done here

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

IMO Harry Potter stands as one of the weakest "worlds" in fiction. This doesn't mean it's bad, depending on the story being told. It just means that if you pull on a thread - any thread - the whole thing can collapse.

Like, even something as mundane as the Night Bus. Who funds this wizard-only bus? TFL? How much money from London's budget goes into funding a magical bus that only .1% of the population use? Was the Night Bus regularity harmed by austerity? Does the driver have a regular pension or a wizard one? What if someone at TFL finds the "wizard pension" form and is like "wtf???" ? Is the wizard driver insured? By a mgical insurance company, or a muggle one? Do insurance agents need to know about wizards? Which muggles can do their jobs without knowing about wizards? Can a regular binman take out a wizard's trash, or do they need a wizard binman? What if they see some magic poo poo in the bin? What if one country in the world decided to use regular binmen instead of magic ones and the secret got out?

You don't even have to pull that hard, though. Dragons are loving real. How the gently caress does the world think dragons aren't real when they're presumably always existed alongside humanity throughout all time?

This is the #1 reason for why the series bothered me so much as a kid. I'm a stickler for having stuff in fiction make sense. Even in a setting with obviously unreal elements like magic, the human characters still have to act in a believable way so there's no escaping the need for realism.

Rowling seems to have been aiming for a more surreal tone in the early books, like a fairytale for very young children. But then she wanted the series to grow up alongside its characters, except she wasn't willing to retcon those early silly elements and instead doubled down on them. Doubling down on mistakes is a habit of hers, I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think "Rowling didn't explain how the Knight Bus was funded" is an exceptionally silly complaint, especially when you can come up with all sorts of boring answers to those followup questions.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

To quote the real authors of Harry Potter, "drat those wizard cops."

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think "Rowling didn't explain how the Knight Bus was funded" is an exceptionally silly complaint, especially when you can come up with all sorts of boring answers to those followup questions.

It's not just that one thing, it's the fact that the books constantly hit you with absurd stuff you're just supposed to accept. It's a death of a thousand cuts.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah man I'm not saying it's bad she didn't; what I'm saying is the entire foundation of the world (a secret society, except it includes millions of people with immense power who have always existed, and been an integral part of human development) is so flimsy that if you pull hard enough on any thread or question it all unravels.

Again, depending on the story being told this isn't a bad thing. The Harry Potter books worked great as kids stories where you're along for the ride in a fun world. This all changes when mass genocide becomes the driving force of the narrative.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since this was mentioned in the thread recently, well, welp!

https://twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1271170158896254981

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Since this was mentioned in the thread recently, well, welp!

https://twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1271170158896254981

I don't really get this. Wouldn't this mean all libraries everywhere would have to close, too? Or are libraries in America secretly paying for every book they're lending out?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Libluini posted:

I don't really get this. Wouldn't this mean all libraries everywhere would have to close, too? Or are libraries in America secretly paying for every book they're lending out?

publishers charge libraries for e-books they lend out afaik

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

Initially they had it so X people could digitally "borrow" copies of Book Y simultaneously, with them physically owning X physical copies of Book Y. With COVID-19 isolating people, they wanted to be nice and removed that limit so an unlimited number of people could digitally borrow a book and functionally made it free. Publishers didn't like that and got litigious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

watho posted:

publishers charge libraries for e-books they lend out afaik

Yeah and it's done in a way that's hosed up. ebooks can only be lent out a certain number of times before the library has to "buy" the ebook again to "replace" it. It's argued that this is like how physical books work, but the rate is generally set at a much lower amount of borrows than it'd take for a physical book to become unusable.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Probably the best way to think of this:

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1268852281207934977?s=20

The whole thing is hosed but you don't make much of a point by walking face first into a sewer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t really think anyone is arguing against that tho? just that the systems that lead to the lawsuit are fundamentally broken

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Aside from Crimes of Johnny Depp Playing David Bowie Playing Evil Wizard-Man, the only other Harry Potter thing I ever watched is Wizard People, Dear Reader. Which I think gives me a good insight into the Harry Potter Universe.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bakeneko posted:

It's not just that one thing, it's the fact that the books constantly hit you with absurd stuff you're just supposed to accept. It's a death of a thousand cuts.

It's not even that, really, it's that for a number of reasons, Harry Potter went from a light children's series, where we can suspend our disbelief and accept that it's fine for whimsical things to happen with no sensible grounding in reality, to a Serious Meditation on Serious Subjects as well as a major IP franchise that needed to continue to exist outside of the dimensions of its original books.

Like nobody goes "Hmm, but how was this Phantom Tollbooth made? Who transports it around?" We accept that it's not meant to be approached that way.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also anytime it tried to handle something outside Anglo England it made no sense at all which like, it's easier to ignore stuff that doesn't make sense when it isn't also pig ignorant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1271308473037467648

The internet is a dangerous place.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

CmdrKing posted:

Probably the best way to think of this:

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1268852281207934977?s=20

The whole thing is hosed but you don't make much of a point by walking face first into a sewer.

They weren't freely downloadable in the sense that you were pirating them; you can only do that with public domain materials. You could borrow them for 14 days, then borrow them again without a waiting period until the end of this month. It was a 3 month program. They use the same copyright protection as a library e-book does because it is a library.

I find it really hard to fault a library for making its collection accessible during a time when no other libraries were.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There’s also intent. Phantom Tollbooth is inherently nonsensical, whereas Wizard Society is supposed to be a structured thing that is fantastical but still grounded. And for a kid’s book stuff like that can be fine while adults wonder why the hell wizards draw arbitrary lines on which muggle tech to use. It becomes a real issue when the story focuses on it so many times that you’re going to inevitably overthink it. See Quidditch, a game that Rowling clearly spent five minutes thinking up.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

It is laughably simple and easy to pirate an ebook, even moreso than any other form of media, and I hope this nonsense encourages more people to do so.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Hungry posted:

It is laughably simple and easy to pirate an ebook, even moreso than any other form of media, and I hope this nonsense encourages more people to do so.

fr me too gently caress publishers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

I'm going more for the Ars Magica Order of Hermes than the Mage one. Better comparison to Harry Potter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Anytime HP and JK Rowling I can only think of this
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1269434612356448256?s=19
It's true that the Riordan universe has much better world building and he's also not a God awful person