Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zerilan posted:

iirc it was the big rear end in a top hat who was a former fang who injured Jose.

It was him, he gave Koga a casual liver shot in their first meeting, and Toyoda had to calm it down and gave Jose a revenge match and it didn't go his way!

Dick Fang tried to go first to keep Old Fang and New Fang from getting a grudge match with him but now the ninja seems to have jumped the line on him too, so sad.

Is it kinda weird I want the more humane underground bloodsport competition not dominated by politicking CEO's to get clowned on, just because of how smug they are about their match rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Caidin posted:

It was him, he gave Koga a casual liver shot in their first meeting, and Toyoda had to calm it down and gave Jose a revenge match and it didn't go his way!

Dick Fang tried to go first to keep Old Fang and New Fang from getting a grudge match with him but now the ninja seems to have jumped the line on him too, so sad.

Is it kinda weird I want the more humane underground bloodsport competition not dominated by politicking CEO's to get clowned on, just because of how smug they are about their match rules?

Nah, their attitude is the fight manga equivalent of "this isn't blood in my mouth, it's victory wine." The Kengan competitors largely have a very likable sense of wanting to genuinely test themselves against others in a conclusive manner, and the Kengan match results largely rest on that same sense of conclusiveness.

Not that I fault the Purgatory folks for leveraging the rules and going for the win, it's explicitly what they were brought on to do here, but it's also not a particularly likable mindset and Carlos going from what seemed like an earnest desire to fight and best Gaolang to essentially throwing a tantrum when he realized that wasn't happening and switching his mindset from "win the fight" to "win the match" kind of exemplified that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's kind of silly that carlos of all people suddenly realized that weight classes exist for a reason.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sure the omakes will reveal that the guy who forgot about weight classes and took an online training course for capoeira is actually a huge dumbass

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Caidin posted:

Not at all, since it's the plaything of an impulsive manchild CEO who badly needs to get taken down a peg or two.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rihito's gonna get his rear end kicked for most this match in a ploy to make his opponent underestimate him because he's an unknown underdog in Purgatory's eyes and then he'll whip around and take his face off.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Belgian Waffle posted:

I wouldn't mind every one of these fights ending with the purgatory fighters leaving with horrific injuries but still getting wins via things like ring outs and getting killed by your opponent.

i hope one of the purgatory guys gets killed in the process of being ringed out, but kengan claims the win because the ring out technically happened first

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i was thinking, maybe a kengan guy will die and technically get the win, just because iirc le banner was like "yo kengan's rules that allows for death are more interesting"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Falcon's gonna try to ring out Rihito and fail because Rihito loving climbs mountains using the power of his grip, he can probably just grip the edge and swing himself right back on the stage without touching the ground.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
I predict Rihito wins through the revelation that his toes also have incredible gripping power

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Falcon's gonna try to ring out Rihito and fail because Rihito loving climbs mountains using the power of his grip, he can probably just grip the edge and swing himself right back on the stage without touching the ground.

ah man this has to be it, falcon will be too evasive for like the whole match then let his guard down at the last minute

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
consider what happened when Rihito's master fought a ninja

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Looking forward to rihito making better use of his crazy pinch grip.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rihito was all potential, no skill, no technique. his style was simply being a big strong guy on top of tearing skin to cause blood loss. however, one of gensai's specialties was ridiculously destructive techniques using his fingers rather than punching. he even did a fair bit of that while fighting agito. even without formal training, i bet rihito picked up on some of that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Look Sharp! posted:

I predict Rihito wins through the revelation that his toes also have incredible gripping power

Adam does this in his fight with Cosmo funny enough. Cracks the ground with his toes and just pulls himself back upright.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Brought To You By posted:

Adam does this in his fight with Cosmo funny enough. Cracks the ground with his toes and just pulls himself back upright.

TRUNK STRENGTH

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nah, their attitude is the fight manga equivalent of "this isn't blood in my mouth, it's victory wine." The Kengan competitors largely have a very likable sense of wanting to genuinely test themselves against others in a conclusive manner, and the Kengan match results largely rest on that same sense of conclusiveness.

Not that I fault the Purgatory folks for leveraging the rules and going for the win, it's explicitly what they were brought on to do here, but it's also not a particularly likable mindset and Carlos going from what seemed like an earnest desire to fight and best Gaolang to essentially throwing a tantrum when he realized that wasn't happening and switching his mindset from "win the fight" to "win the match" kind of exemplified that.

I think it's actually Carlos's sudden swing that clicks the switch to making Purgatory's rules unlikable(which is almost assuredly entirely intentional, given the dialogue we get here from both sides of the divide).

If the whole fight had been "Carlos psyches Gaolang into losing via ring out", it would be an underdog being clever and winning with his head, rather than a tantrum/heel move.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No Kengan this week is stressing me out!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

No Kengan this week is stressing me out!

Same I got super bummed this morning when I looked at mangadex and realized it was a break week :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korean scans usually hit like 2 ~ 3 am on Thursday, about 20 hours before the English scans hit, so I'm used to reading Kengan right before I sleep or right after I wake up.

Yesterday felt so empty and dead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When there's no kengan I just pick fights with martial arts masters

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

When there's no kengan I just pick fights with martial arts masters

Unless they're underground martial artist masters you're just a scrub fighting in the public stage.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Unless they're underground martial artist masters you're just a scrub fighting in the public stage.

Gaolang and Okubo are no scrubs

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

verbal enema posted:

Gaolang and Okubo are no scrubs

I mean, yeah, but the series does have a tendency to mock public fighters.

Like Ivan or the foreigner in Omega who's supposedly got better stats in Okuba (pound-for-pound) but loses instantly to Cosmo.

Also, people always bring up Gao and Okubo as public fighters, but technically, Seki is also a public fighter in that he is a pro wrestler. So is Haruo now.

So's Kenzan (at least by Omega, whereas in Asura he was just picking random fights and hand't actually accomplished much in the public stage, which Jun called him out on).

Gozo also got his start in the public stage, though not as a fighter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell, Kazzy straight up tells Koga that he could make it as a public fighter but wouldn't stand a chance in Kengan.

And Gaolang notes that all of the boxing champions he beat were utterly weak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
which is kind of ridiculous, since so-called public fighters have to face much more competition from their peers than any of the eccentric weirdos in kengan. but well, ridiculous and ka go hand in hand. sometimes they stop to make out a little.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

which is kind of ridiculous, since so-called public fighters have to face much more competition from their peers than any of the eccentric weirdos in kengan. but well, ridiculous and ka go hand in hand. sometimes they stop to make out a little.

I think the premise is that public fighters are used to fighting under a set of strict rules designed to prevent major bodily harm, which makes them very different than the underground arenas.

Like a ridiculously badass champion competition karate guy who is used to fighting under a points system that illegalizes certain types of attacks is going to have some real trouble adjusting to an environment where his opponent is trying to kick his balls into his abdomen before twisting his head off, you know?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah until nogi become chairman killing your opponent was specifically allowed in kengan matches

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
You were also if I remember correctly allowed any weapon you could actually smuggle on your person into the ring, hence Dr. femur swords and Lord knows what else in the associations history.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Medicine Man

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The man with a thousand nicknames is on the scene.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/929782/1

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this dudes hands remind me of that boneless assassin teacher guy from Baki

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/daromeon/status/1273280801275166720

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JamMasterJim posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/929782/1

I was not expecting my country to be represented in the tournament.

I can however attest that Singaporean chicken rice is loving delicious, and that it's absolutely vital that the Kengan Association records the information on the Purgatory fighters' favourite foods.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This guy has to know about Rihito's ripping and tearing abilities right? That has to be why he chose this match?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, if last chapter is anything to go by the Purgatory guys don't recognize Rihito.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Rihito is gonna rip it with his strong fundamentals.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

prediction: ninja ned will try to use trickery/presdigitation but rihito is too stupid to fall for them

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Rihito can’t lose here but I fully expect these two to become friends after this.

Actor guy or Marvellous Seki would have been great fights for this guy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

JamMasterJim posted:

I'm hoping this is a running gag that just keeps going. Everyone calls him a different nickname. And it just gets more ridiculous. I RECOGNISE HIM NOW, THE BRITISH BADGER, THE FALCON

Also based on the title card his first name is The and his last name is Falcon

Catpetter1981 posted:

I was not expecting my country to be represented in the tournament.

I can however attest that Singaporean chicken rice is loving delicious, and that it's absolutely vital that the Kengan Association records the information on the Purgatory fighters' favourite foods.

OUR MALAYSIAN CHICKEN RICE IS SUPERIOR I WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH* OVER THIS

* we will bond over our love of chicken rice** post-match
** that factoid was indeed incredibly relevant and now i want everyone's food choices
*** Singapore's chicken rice is really good actually

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 18, 2020