Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I need to be voted emergency powers in order to approve the creation of a new subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Dellow Felegates,

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hard Sci-Fi Hardline should be the mirror-universe sub

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Hard Sci-Fi Hardline is from the mirror universe where Something Brilliant is a serious-minded discussion forum, with a dedicated space for in-depth intellectual discussion of hard science fiction technologies where no levity is tolerated

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Riker's Rumpus Room

(imagine the smell)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

hard science fiction technologies where no levity is tolerated

Intolerance in hard sci-fi, you say?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If there is a Harry Potter thread then does that mean we can have a Tolkien thread?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If there is a Harry Potter thread then does that mean we can have a Tolkien thread?

We've had lotr threads so why not?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh joy more fantasy in my scifi

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like to think of it as just leaning REALLY heavily on the 'fiction' aspect of the sci fi wi fi

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thoroughly advanced magic is indistinguishable from fictional technology

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Oh joy more fantasy in my scifi

Harry Potter and Hobbits have NO HONOR!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fantasy fone..line?

I'm just foning it in at this point.

Genre gaol

Horrible nerd space for nerds

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I feel like this forum is less explicitly sci fi and more "what can we extraopolate from star wars," which is full of wizards

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gandalf is definitely an Obi-wan, in every way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even before the Star Wars rsf I feel like the idea of a general genre fiction shitposting forum made sense.

Obviously a lot of SA is into various nerd franchises like Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, Warhammer, whatever other bullshit, and since in the present day all that poo poo is often divided over books, games, movies, and so on, there's threads about them all over with often mostly the same people in each one, and sometimes they take over unrelated threads too.

It kinda makes sense to have a sub that's just for nerdin' it out across all the various versions of a franchise.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Just as a general rule if someone feels like talking about a piece of fiction they feel passionately about and they think could be entertaining to others, pretty much no matter what it is, I encourage them to post about it here if this is where they wanna post it. Good threads with interesting topics and effort filled posts are exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see in here!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
But no anime.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I am really enjoying DS9. Granted I'm only watching the first few episodes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Respond to this post to be probed with anime

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I'd like to gift the leper's colony some Dirty Pair if you got it lying around

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Roth posted:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

https://youtu.be/FGBhQbmPwH8

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Interstella 5555 doesn't count because it's a Daft Punk music video :hai:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

I am currently watching Noragami on hulu, it is fun

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am currently watching Noragami on hulu, it is fun

Good choice

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Roth posted:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I did not know this forum existed until I saw a mention in some other thread (yay, only checking bookmarks)

But this is cool as gently caress, and I'm glad its here. So uhhh thanks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Did Disney agree not to release the non-special editions as part of the purchase, or do the Disney execs just want to focus popular attention on the new product, or is Disney out of touch enough to not realize the demand, or did George destroy all the original prints at some point?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Combo of the second and fourth things (Lucas claims the best existing copies of the originals were consumed in the process of making the special editions), imo, along with the vagueness of a demand for the "originals" - do people want matte cleanups? Restorations? Laserdisc transfers? You can definitely hit the big press button by announcing a OG release, but can you actually sell big numbers of a movie that looks like it authentically came out in 1977?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If you've got a master / high quality print you could just make a new transfer in high res. A little bit of digital touchups and badda-bing-badda-boom "Original Theatrical Release" on Blue-Ray. Of course if Georgie boy ate them all that's not possible. And if they're looking to replace home video sales with Disney+ (and who wouldn't) the marginal benefit to the service probably isn't worth the cost.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I recently shared this with a friend:

quote:

novid-19: So there is a episode of Batman: TAS where Mr. Freeze is broken out of jail by not Walt Disney. Disney has constructed a utopian city in the ocean just off of Gotham, and wants Mr. Freeze to put him in a cold-suit (like Mr. Freeze must wear to stay alive), and thus make Disney immortal. Batman and Robin follow Mr. Freeze, and discover Disney has a sweetener for Mr. Freeze (who straight up calls Disney insane for wanting his cursed existence of perpetually living in his life support suit) the cryogenic revival of Mr. Freeze's beloved wife. B & R also discover Disney is planning to kill off the entire rest of earth via some sort of atomic-cold cannon. B&R are captured by Not Walt Disney, and the duo get to see Disney's transformation into a super-strong cold-suit cryo lifeform. After this Not Disney leaves Mr. Freeze alone with his cryo-frozen wife and B&R, who are frozen together in an ice block. Mr. Freeze hopes to see his wife restored, but clever Batman points out his wife will hate Freeze after he helps destroy the earth. Mr. Freeze, caught by logic, switches sides and breaks B&R out. At this point the trio trashes Not Walt Disney's command center, and then sets the city's power plants to overload. Mr Freeze also freezes not Walt Disney in a gigantic block of Ice. B&R flee the city with the Disney cultists after Mr. Freeze uses Disney's 10 story announcement screens to almost verbatim say "this place is doomed, if you value your lives you will run." Mr Freeze stays of course as the city is destroyed by massive ice blocks, and then a nuclear explosion, but is frozen with his wife in an iceberg that appears to drift *to* the arctic. (OK, that last sentence made no sense but it is what happened.) The second to last scene is not Walt Disney *also* frozen in a glacier under the sea, still perfectly conscious, and *silently screaming* as he realizes he is permanently trapped and immortal

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Some Goon posted:

If you've got a master / high quality print you could just make a new transfer in high res. A little bit of digital touchups and badda-bing-badda-boom "Original Theatrical Release" on Blue-Ray. Of course if Georgie boy ate them all that's not possible. And if they're looking to replace home video sales with Disney+ (and who wouldn't) the marginal benefit to the service probably isn't worth the cost.

Yeah, essentially no-one has high quality prints of the original Star Warses.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I think it was JJ Abrams who said that there were some very complex legal reasons that Disney couldn’t release theatrical versions. I suspect it was something George insisted on during the sale.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kathleen Kennedy has said that they aren't touching the original trilogy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Since I imagine there's some bookmark only posters in here, here's a link to the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi discord: https://discord.gg/jvK3xfB

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Roth posted:

Since I imagine there's some bookmark only posters in here, here's a link to the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi discord: https://discord.gg/jvK3xfB

It says its expired

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Deactivated the link since kiwifarms is lurking about. I'll PM the link if anyone wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Roth posted:

Deactivated the link since kiwifarms is lurking about. I'll PM the link if anyone wants it.

I’d be keen to get the link, please.