Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My rink is issuing 1-year or lifetime bans for people who do a CC chargeback for their league fees since the rink's refund policy is "we got your money, gently caress you." We were between seasons when all of this poo poo started, so everyone is out $650 and hadn't played a game yet. We had one guy on my team who did exactly this and the HD emailed our captain and asked if we could find someone to buy him out. How about gently caress off and actually issue refunds for people who lost their job but still need to feed their families. You aren't going to find anyone wanting to buy anyone out during a drat pandemic.

Also, ironic that they said "you want your money back because you need it to live? Well, you're banned from spending money here for 1 year!"

Is the $650 going to be counted towards a future season at least? If not, then them keeping your money seems pretty darn illegal, even if their policy says the money is theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If everyone that wants to gets their money back I'm not sure why the law would get involved, nothing has been stolen. But if he did, small claims court would solve it relatively easily.

Refusing to do business over it is a giant rear end in a top hat move though.. the bad press would sink any other small business but since the rink probably has a monopoly on the area it won't affect him at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is the $650 going to be counted towards a future season at least? If not, then them keeping your money seems pretty darn illegal, even if their policy says the money is theirs.

Yes, the season will still happen, but not until CA hits phase 3 or whatever, which probably won't be for a bit. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want their money back to put food on their table, regardless of whether the season will happen or not.

xzzy posted:

since the rink probably has a monopoly on the area it won't affect him at all.

Bingo!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I treat this stuff the way I treat concert tickets. I didn't pay money to play hockey or see a band, I paid money play hockey or see a band on a specific date. If you can't make good on that you owe me my money back if I want it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got an email from the rink the other day saying they were opening mid-June but no specific word about adult hockey and based on the steps they say they are taking, I could see beer league getting pushed back a lot further. Seems like they're trying to get figure skating and kid's practices going first.

quote:

- Limiting the number of participants in our programs
- More time between programs to clean and get participants in and out of the building
- Dedicated cleaning crews in the facility while the building is open and deep cleaning and sanitizing the building every night
- Coaches wearing face coverings on the ice
- Face coverings will be worn by everyone when in the facility (not on the ice for certain programs)
- Participants under the age of 18 will be allowed one guardian in the facility
- Participants over the age of 18 will not be allowed any guests in the building
- Directional signage to help participants and guests practice social distancing

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If your rink is anything like mine, probably the only time that the lockers have had any kind of cleaning since opening.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rink has a great cleaning staff, they got this retirement age dude that somehow knows everyone's name and will sit around and chat. He owns. Even before the plague he'd mop each locker room several times a day with a power steam cleaner thingy.

The 10-15 minute timer on vacating the locker room after a game is laughable though. There's no way that's going to fly. It takes me 5 minutes just to sit down and stop giving people poo poo for their lousy play.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got an email from the rink today that we're starting up Friday next week :psyduck:. Basically all the stuff I posted earlier as far as restrictions.

That spawned an email thread among us nurses and docs on the team about whether or not we're going back this soon, because holy poo poo. I trust the healthcare people, but our general league thread is already full of people going"lol they can't monitor us on the ice, IDGAF we can do whatever we want."

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Thufir posted:

I got an email from the rink the other day saying they were opening mid-June but no specific word about adult hockey and based on the steps they say they are taking, I could see beer league getting pushed back a lot further. Seems like they're trying to get figure skating and kid's practices going first.

The rule of participants over 18 not being able to bring any guests just sounds like a normal beer league game to me.

Edit:formatting on a phone is hard

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Habibi posted:

Our local rink just announced that in a few weeks they're reopening junior programs. All those nasty rear end teenagers! And they're taking sign-ups for parent/child weekend camps beginning in two weeks and I'm frankly shocked. This is in Santa Clara county, too, which had one of California's biggest outbreaks.

Can you post that? I don’t see anything on their site or instagram.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chemmy posted:

Can you post that? I don’t see anything on their site or instagram.

They haven't posted about it - this is all coming by way of emails. E.g., a few days ago:

But I also get the impression they don't really know wtf yet, because yesterday I got this:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 30, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I doubt any of those will happen, based on our conversations the last few weeks.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

"Our" as in conversations you've had with the rink program people?

Like I said, I was surprised when I saw those schedules in their email. Seems incredibly early to me to start those types of programs back up, but what do I know?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I coach a team there and we’ve had a bunch of conference calls.

edit: just texted the guy who’d know.

edit2: he shares my skepticism but says they’re trying to do it with a long list of physical distancing measures in cooperation with the county.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 30, 2020

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

My rink has a great cleaning staff, they got this retirement age dude that somehow knows everyone's name and will sit around and chat. He owns. Even before the plague he'd mop each locker room several times a day with a power steam cleaner thingy.

He's seriously the best guy there. From what I've been told by some of the furloughed coaches, there's only three people still working, and he's one of them because he does his job so drat well.

I've been informed that they had all the locker rooms professionally deep cleaned. They also apparently took down rinks 1 and 3 for a full maintenance/disinfection sweep of the whole area. Walls, benches, glass, floors, joints, everything. I kinda hope they took the opportunity to do more of the shower remodeling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, they usually melt down one sheet a year. Last year they did rink 2 so I guess they took the opportunity to do the others this time. Or they just melted them to save power for the last two and half months.

I won't be skating until there's a vaccine but it's good they're doing things to make it a bit safer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm wracking my brain about going back or not. I trust the medical people I play with, but the general public - not so much. Plus we've plateaued in cases but haven't seen a decrease, and are actually in an upturn as of Thursday/Friday.j

Not sure it's worth it even with all the restrictions and wearing a mask on the ice.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Personally if my league opened up today I don't think I would play. Indoors, cold air, heavy breathing... it just seems really risky as far as activities go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Agreed. I don't know how others feel in my league/team but no matter how much I want to play hockey, im not in a rush to play again anytime soon until this thing has visible signs of clearing up which will probably be at least months away. I've known a free people who had it, some asymptomatic and others thought they were going to die. Doesn't matter how young or healthy. Yes odds are low of death but gently caress, it's not something I want to catch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's no way in hell I'm playing hockey this year. I miss it like hell but it's just not worth the risk.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
One of my leagues is about to spin back up using the league slots for low player-count opt-in pickup sessions. Still no word about full resumption of activities, and I'm fine with that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i...will be on the ice the day the rink opens

yay hockey!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

There's no way in hell I'm playing hockey this year. I miss it like hell but it's just not worth the risk.

I'm with nerdy Sidney Crosby, PhD avatar. I haven't even put my skates on, let alone skated, since February, and miss it like crazy. But I've got other ways to stay physically active and in shape, and it's not *that* important to me that I'm going to be in the first round of guinea pigs when programs resume.

I could see myself skating this year (we have most of it left, still) but my plan is to give these places a solid chance to either figure it out, or gently caress it up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vacaville CA rink is open or is opening in the next couple days. My wife already signed my daughters up for a limited-participant freestyle skate. Boy was I happy to not pay for figure skating anything for a couple months. Sad that I'm at the end of having disposable income.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Another email that all the youth leagues are starting up again on Saturday. Looks like they want everybody masked, but no other restrictions aside from having to show up dressed.

Jesus christ, it's going to be like a petri dish. Screw that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

having to show up dressed.

so no changes then, for youth players

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor kids that wear glasses ain't gonna be able to see poo poo.

More than normal that is.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

just play in a balaclava and you’ll be fine and also you’ll make weight for the big wrestling tournament you’re in this weekend

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

so no changes then, for youth players

Not for 14U, they usually spend 90% of the time in the locker room farting around and then have to rush to get dressed. It's all video game/farting/meme chat until then.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That describes our locker room, except with the addition of beer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel like that was the best part of playing team sports growing up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Pretty much - you're there to hang out with buddies until you have to perform. And while you're playing. And after.

Thinking about bailing on hockey for the time being. Not sure it's worth exposing myself to the general public knowing how most of them are treating the pandemic.

Trying to decide if my son can go back or not, too. He's dying to play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just get some rollers and play in the street, yeah it's not the full team experience and that sucks but it's really irresponsible to be panting in sweating in a barn with a bunch of strangers.

If for no other reason than for the conditioning, when the rinks open back up you can be That Guy for a few weeks while all the slobs who sat on their duff for a year shake off the rust.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Believe me, I'm with you on all that. Today's my first day NOT working in isolation with covid patients since March 9th. I also just talked to my head of infectious disease to see if I'm missing anything, and she agreed it's still very risky.

I'm going to break my kid's heart tonight. Ugh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my rink is opening up Saturday for almost everything but league games. This includes drop-in games for some really weird reason. It's thought that because they already have (and spent) the league money, they need new money coming in.

When you are done with a shift, you have to exit out the bleacher doors and walk around the rink to the bench :lol:

Also, everyone has to use the main entrance instead of using the side or rear. Seems safe to funnel everyone through one entrance.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 12, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Rinks are open here but only for 5 people at a time and I think they're all booked either by nhl players or kids who play high level. At this point I'm not even sure if my leagues will be back for fall. I bought a tennis racquet and I'm thinking of getting a peloton bike.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

Rinks are open here but only for 5 people at a time and I think they're all booked either by nhl players or kids who play high level. At this point I'm not even sure if my leagues will be back for fall. I bought a tennis racquet and I'm thinking of getting a peloton bike.

Make sure you put your peloton bike in the middle of your living room overlooking the LA skyline like in the commercials.

Stinky Socks took 3 weeks to reply to my email about when our season was starting up since they told us July originally despite the rink closing for the whole summer. Their response was basically just “we’ll see what we can do and if you’re getting a refund or if we can finish the season in the fall”

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

prom candy posted:

They'll be back by fall and then we'll all get Rona'd and die. NO REFUNDS.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, my rink is stating that everyone has to be stick-length apart, even during drop-in. And is telling everyone, including goalies, that they need to change in their cars.

Man, even if leagues start up, I think I'd pass for a while, even though they already have my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ice is being rented out around me, and guys on my team have done a couple skates. It doesn't seem intelligent at all to me though, rinks are permitting 20 skaters so that's what everyone's rolling with.

Some 3v3 rink rentals are happening too which seems marginally safer but I'm still not gonna be doing that.

All of this seems to violate the Illinois reopening plan so I'm not sure how that works, it seems like people have decided that the pandemic just doesn't exist anymore and are gonna do whatever the gently caress they want.