Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

For my own sanity I don't want to go back into the comments to get screenshots or anything, but yesterday Wizards of the Coast announced it's removing a bunch of racist cards from the game.

The reaction from many players has been....exactly what you're thinking it is, despite the fact that literally none of those cards are relevant anymore and no one plays them.

Here's the twitter thread if you want I guess:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1270823164877189128

Oh man. Yeah that poo poo is all over Facebook. It's like they kicked a rotting corpse and agitate all the maggots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Picnic Princess posted:

Maybe not but they did a really good cover of Venus in Furs.

I just wanted to let you know I appreciated this. :) (do we have a goth smilie?)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

For my own sanity I don't want to go back into the comments to get screenshots or anything, but yesterday Wizards of the Coast announced it's removing a bunch of racist cards from the game.

Note that Invoke Prejudice was drawn by an actual KKK member.

This idiot apparently doesn't see anything wrong with what it depicts:

https://twitter.com/IAm9thDoctor/status/1270842302521651203

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The reaction from many players has been....exactly what you're thinking it is, despite the fact that literally none of those cards are relevant anymore and no one plays them.

Its so aggravating that so many white dudes will stan for racist cards that aren't even legal in most formats, that they will never actually play, and in some cases are unlikely to even afford to own, because the ban benefits someone who isn't them.

The ban removes offensive images. It has zero impact on the game itself and is purely to the benefit of BIPOC players.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Folks, here's today's main character:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thePPRmonster/status/1271145281778847744

At a like / comment ratio of 7/344 as of this post.

seiferguy has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Jun 11, 2020

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Found a TERF in my friend's facebook comments. I've never actually encountered one in the wild before. Using the same old tactics, too. I'm about to let her have it had to share because this isn't something I have ever had to respond to before.

UPDATE:

I chimed in and got called a misogynist. She said I'm mansplaining feminism to a woman and that no one can provide evidence that it's dangerous for trans women to be forced to use the mens room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/TracyAnnO/status/1271152811049443333

That's uh, certainly one way to say you called Ice T racist because you couldn't tell the difference between him and Ice Cube :stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Decided to look up the cards in question. Invoke Prejudice displays a bunch of people wearing robes with pointed hoods. Yikes.

The Cleanse card's effect "destroys all black creatures" while Crusade gives all white creatures a buff. The latter depicts Templar Knights in the artwork. I know creature colors are mostly arbitrary categories for gameplay purposes but that's still a bad look.

I'm honestly not sure what's controversial about the Stone-Throwing Devils though. Is there an implication I'm missing?

Edit:

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that Invoke Prejudice was drawn by an actual KKK member.

Oh that explains that then :stare:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jun 11, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the trouble with the game that has good white magic and bad black magic goes beyond specific cards

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OwlFancier posted:

That's uh, certainly one way to say you called Ice T racist because you couldn't tell the difference between him and Ice Cube :stare:

White people taking their lives into their own hands once again.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1250198967201267713

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mak0rz posted:

I'm honestly not sure what's controversial about the Stone-Throwing Devils though. Is there an implication I'm missing?

I believe it's an epithet for Native Americans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mak0rz posted:

Decided to look up the cards in question. Invoke Prejudice displays a bunch of people wearing robes with pointed hoods. Yikes

Another thread discussing it mentioned that in the grand database of Magic Cards, Invoke Prejudice was ID #1488.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Another thread discussing it mentioned that in the grand database of Magic Cards, Invoke Prejudice was ID #1488.

That seems to be a coincidence though, Invoke Prejudice was introduced in 1994 and the Fourteen Words weren't published until 1995.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That Invoke Prejudice one is ridiculous. Crazy that that ever got through.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Stone Throwing Devils references part of the hajj in what I'm told is an unfortunate way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

repiv posted:

That seems to be a coincidence though, Invoke Prejudice was introduced in 1994 and the Fourteen Words weren't published until 1995.

The database was created in 2004, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The database was created in 2004, though.

it's awkward but alphabetically by set as gatherer was organized for that old stuff (cards that old don't have collector numbers), invoke prejudice is actually the 1488th magic card printed. like it's really unfortunate but it is either a coincidence or a very long-term plan that involves destroying very particular printing sheets, which affected the numbers in previous sets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

it's awkward but alphabetically by set as gatherer was organized for that old stuff (cards that old don't have collector numbers), invoke prejudice is actually the 1488th magic card printed. like it's really unfortunate but it is either a coincidence or a very long-term plan that involves destroying very particular printing sheets, which affected the numbers in previous sets.

I'd watch that thriller.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

the fourteen words are older than the card invoke prejudice

but that card being the 1,488th card if you sort cards alphabetically and by release date of set is a coincidence, unless one of the handful of guys creating the game was a crypto nazi who orchestrated this so that when the cards were ordered in a specific way it would be the nazi number in placement

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

luxury handset posted:

the fourteen words are older than the card invoke prejudice

but that card being the 1,488th card if you sort cards alphabetically and by release date of set is a coincidence, unless one of the handful of guys creating the game was a crypto nazi who orchestrated this so that when the cards were ordered in a specific way it would be the nazi number in placement

Given how much fash love their symbols and signs and secret gestures, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I still think it's pretty likely tbh. If it was any of the other cards that was racist but not obviously so, I'd be more willing to believe it was some crazy coincidence. But with that specific card being the 1488th card, I find coincidence to be the less likely explanation

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, many many years ago when I worked in a music library, we tweaked the cataloging order so that CD 1003 was a recording of Don Giovanni. It’s not super difficult to stack the deck with stuff like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sorry to go back a bit but, re: the title... did we get a longer account of what constitutes "Christian" animals vs. vile pagan animals?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Brawnfire posted:

Sorry to go back a bit but, re: the title... did we get a longer account of what constitutes "Christian" animals vs. vile pagan animals?

it was racism op

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Given how much fash love their symbols and signs and secret gestures, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I still think it's pretty likely tbh. If it was any of the other cards that was racist but not obviously so, I'd be more willing to believe it was some crazy coincidence. But with that specific card being the 1488th card, I find coincidence to be the less likely explanation

this would require that someone would be keeping track of the number of unique cards published (including variants) for the first ten months of the game's existence such that across seven different sets of cards, if those cards were sorted in a specific way (by set release date, by category, alphabetically) then the card invoke prejudice would be the 1488th card in that order, which you would only know years later if there were a database set up to also sort in that order which used consecutive integer identification

do you know any nazis that are that subtle, patient, and forward thinking?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what hitler did in between escaping to argentina and building a secret base on the far side of the moon.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

luxury handset posted:

this would require that someone would be keeping track of the number of unique cards published (including variants) for the first ten months of the game's existence such that across seven different sets of cards, if those cards were sorted in a specific way (by set release date, by category, alphabetically) then the card invoke prejudice would be the 1488th card in that order, which you would only know years later if there were a database set up to also sort in that order which used consecutive integer identification

do you know any nazis that are that subtle, patient, and forward thinking?

Can I introduce you to Q? Because if you have a certain kind of brain worms, they go nuts for that stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Please try to convince them that there's a hidden Nazi message in Magic cards that was planned years in advance.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

JFK Jr. played magic change my mind

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

Please try to convince them that there's a hidden Nazi message in Magic cards that was planned years in advance.

It wouldn't be difficult with Q.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

... what nation we talking about, eh Bobby?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
No lie that's the angle some people are taking to try to say banning racist cards is bad. "BUT THE HISTORY OF THE GAME!!!"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We're taking your participation trophies away and there's nothing you can do about it lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Why is he Kevin spacey

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
wizards of the coast can suck my dick this a big plubicity gain that they desperately want. in like jan or dec there was a big thing about a buncha terf artists so a trans player came to a tourney and put no terfs in magic over the artwork they had done on the cards that the player owned and wizards told that player to gently caress off from the tourney. and that is just the most recent thing. you think they didnt know prejudice was drawn by an actual kkk member? they knew and they didnt care.

its no different then a random company showing pride for its lgbt customers during pride month then advertising for chik fil a the day after pride month. or in hulu and spotifies case during.

snergle has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jun 12, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No poo poo. We all know that. That's why it's doubly fun to watch people actually get their panties in a twist about it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Doesnt that card game constantly or at least frequently go "these x or y cards are no longer allowed in this format/this tournament/whatever"
History of the game??? Nobody's burning the cards you stupid fuckers, if anything this makes them more "collectible". 🙄

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
What makes this move by Wizards of the Coast so transparently superficial is that it comes after a high-profile person in the scene tweeted a long account of Wizards being deeply racist. Basically "they put on a progressive face but their hiring practices and company culture are complete garbage".

This was capped off by a postscript showing the card Invoke Prejudice with its database ID of 1488 (which everyone has known about for over a decade) as kind of a way to say "wow, look how nothing has changed".

Wizards had several days of silence and then they addressed the postscript without touching any of the rest.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, many many years ago when I worked in a music library, we tweaked the cataloging order so that CD 1003 was a recording of Don Giovanni. It’s not super difficult to stack the deck with stuff like that.

yah i was gonna say, there are like a thousand ways to sort magic cards, they all have several unique characteristics

citation: having been a teenager who obsessively tried to work out a sorting system while watching dbz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1271294990199619585