Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bring back Group C.

Both as endurance cars and the Australian Touring Car class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Bring back canam you loving cowards

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Bring back canam you loving cowards

people would bitch as soon as Porsche showed up and won races by two laps.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bring back the Chaparral 2E you cowards

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

can't wait until 10 years from now where the 24 hours of le mans is an imsa race through and through with a few guest euros running gt-am

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Would like to mention that iRacing is now doing the prestigious Virtual Multiclass Racing In The French Countryside on June 20th.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

njsykora posted:

Would like to mention that iRacing is now doing the prestigious Virtual Multiclass Racing In The French Countryside on June 20th.

The best part about this is that rFactor 2 has a horrendous record running 24 hours events. One big league even dumped them after an event last year, because it was 'red flagged' (poo poo itself) twice. The chances of this event going well are slim.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

iRacing has done 24 hour races before so it should turn out ok although I'm not sure if it was actually mixed class on track or just run at the same time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

net work error posted:

iRacing has done 24 hour races before so it should turn out ok although I'm not sure if it was actually mixed class on track or just run at the same time

Multi-class often, they've been doing Daytona 24h for years.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

net work error posted:

iRacing is fine, it's rF2 that has small issues like "everyone gets locked out from joining the car" or "cars warp through the field skittling everyone in their path" and other very helpful things.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
They should just have the drivers play Mario Kart. I’m not even kidding. Virtual races are barely tolerable without danger and actual stakes. At least MK8 would lead to fully grown adults screaming at each other in Portuguese about lightning bolts and only getting bananas in item boxes. I would watch just to see whether Pipo Derani might actually kill a man over a blue shell

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Yeah honestly these virtual races are absolute cringe. I mean, I sim race too - but its a computer game. It's a computer game. Stop pretending these things are serious or important.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
People don't race cars because they might crash and die, they race cars to beat the other guy and prove you're fastest, I don't see how because it's "without danger" (wtf?) it's suddenly not a competition?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The problem isn't the lack of danger in and of itself, it's that the drivers don't give a poo poo about the races and don't take them seriously, which makes them completely unentertaining and wholly without value.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

your friend wicka posted:

The problem isn't the lack of danger in and of itself, it's that the drivers don't give a poo poo about the races and don't take them seriously, which makes them completely unentertaining and wholly without value.

Did you not see Charles Leclerc having a massive tanty about sucking hard in the Baku race? They def take it seriously, although I reckon the F1 approach of only having drivers who want to do it works way better than Indy and Formula E forcing everyone to race and having the ones who don't want to be there piss around.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Did you not see Charles Leclerc having a massive tanty about sucking hard in the Baku race? They def take it seriously, although I reckon the F1 approach of only having drivers who want to do it works way better than Indy and Formula E forcing everyone to race and having the ones who don't want to be there piss around.

I watched one of the F1 races where there was a big crash on the start and they all started laughing and decided to restart. It's garbage.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

your friend wicka posted:

I watched one of the F1 races where there was a big crash on the start and they all started laughing and decided to restart. It's garbage.

Wasn't that the charity race where they were 100% pissing about the entire time? It's not the same is it.

e: like fair point though it does look incredibly amateurish that there are a million different simracing events with wildly different driver seriousness levels and there's poo poo all way for the casual viewer to know the difference, especially when they're all billed as 'REAL LIFE DRIVERS RACING!!' and no further info.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I’m not saying it needs to be dangerous or people need to risk death, but the reality of racing is a constant battle with high stakes. Disregarding entirely the risk of bodily harm, wrecking a race car costs your team a fortune, may make tons of extra work for your mechanics that will affect your ability to use that time for more testing and setup, or possibly put you at risk of not being able to compete at all for one or more future races until you rebuild or replace the wrecked car. Even a small collision or off track excursion might have consequences; maybe your pit crew heroically patches it up and you come back, or maybe you doom your whole effort. Virtual racing doesn’t have any of that. The worst thing that can happen when something goes wrong is that you lose the race. That sucks sure, especially for a competitive racer, but it’s nothing like what can happen in real life. It robs the whole experience of a lot of gravity and the drivers treat it as such.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
fuckin lmao have you never seen a BTCC race? just say you don't like simracing, you don't have to make up some weird justification why it's Objectively Bad

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

pretty sure all LMDh (the IMSA formula that the ACO/WEC are also going to let in) are going to use a standardized hybrid unit and will be faster than the P2s.

They'll be faster than the P2s because they're slowing the P2 field down.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
every racing thread on SA reminds me that nobody actually likes racing

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Vando posted:

fuckin lmao have you never seen a BTCC race? just say you don't like simracing, you don't have to make up some weird justification why it's Objectively Bad
poo poo and here I just thought I was giving my opinion. I apologize to you and the other members of the jury. Now I’m on to my next case, Koepka vs. The International Wii Golf Competition Committee

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All racing sucks don't @ me

(God I miss racing)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OhsH posted:

No racing fan likes racing. We get hooked when we're young and spend the rest of them time until death chasing that high, which never comes because This Sucks Now, It Was Better When ___.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

This Sucks Now, It Was Better When It Was Even Worse.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean it was better when I was like 5 and up against the 5ft high chain link fence at Road Atlanta at turn 3 entering the esses and my dad flying tackled me to the ground as a car hit the bank and a large number of car parts soared overhead(there was no catch fencing back before the remodel)

Thanks dad, I'd probably be dead if you didn't do that

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

OhsH posted:

I only like one type of racing which isn't really racing and most racing fans don't care about it.

I think there's at least like one other rally fan here somewhere. Most of the season has already been cancelled for logistic reasons, and what few rallies haven't been cancelled should be cancelled soon as well. Hellyear consumes all.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Just watch SX. In the final run of races (3 to go) with racing really heating up all around.

Great racing Sunday with lovely track conditions, should be great racing tonight again.

450 extended highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diW3-18I9s

250 extended highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tnhI0Yx1sA

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

OhsH posted:

I think everyone in these threads love car racing, they just don't like the corporations that organize and set the rules for car racing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
it was neat hearing from Robert Wickens on the latest Broadbent stream, all the stuff about the hand control dev etc. think this is the kind of thing I like about what the sim events enable, more time for just hearing the drivers talk about stuff

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jehde posted:

I only like one type of racing which isn't really racing and most racing fans don't care about it.

I think there's at least like one other rally fan here somewhere. Most of the season has already been cancelled for logistic reasons, and what few rallies haven't been cancelled should be cancelled soon as well. Hellyear consumes all.

the reality for a lot of these sports is that the restrictions on international travel are going to crush all the hopes and dreams of getting anything below the F1 calendar done with properly. Series that were organized around globe-trotting and getting cars and equipment there with just enough wiggle room for delayed shipping, or drivers (like the fleet of Porsche factory drivers) who are used to flying all over to go from race to race.

Formula 1 and the WEC will center around Europe and the Middle East (because shipping shouldn't be too bad and the countries will make things happen for them), but the GT3 series and the 2020-21 Asian Le Mans Series have both decided on being in two countries at most because of the travel and transport restrictions.

Stuff inside Europe may be able to hop from track to track this fall, and the U.S. should be fine so IMSA should have some kind of season, but other international series are kinda boned until travel restrictions are lifted and in that regard things return to normal.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Vando posted:

it was neat hearing from Robert Wickens on the latest Broadbent stream, all the stuff about the hand control dev etc. think this is the kind of thing I like about what the sim events enable, more time for just hearing the drivers talk about stuff

I can't wait for the inevitable "chat asks Ferdinand Habsburg about his unibrow" moment of the race stream, probably about 3am British time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jehde posted:

Yeap ts not a race ... rallying is a time trial. And cool AF esp when your in a no name national team having a lark in Rally Australia and the actual WRC mechs you are in the service park with are yelling and urging you on to fix the scrap that was the suspension and subframe that was a 07 STI within the utterly improbable 30 minute time limit.

And then after the car os sent out with 4 seconds to spare and you are just struggling to even get off the patch of tarpalun you are that mentally and physically hosed you get a beer and congrats from the Hyundai team.... well poo poo what a sport. Can you imagine Ferrari F1 slumming with Team Koala Fuckers out the back of a muddy oval?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You know you're living in a virtual world when you see the words "ByKolles on pole": https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/24h-virtuelles-qualifs-bykolles-et-porsche-en-pole/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vando posted:

You know you're living in a virtual world when you see the words "ByKolles on pole": https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/24h-virtuelles-qualifs-bykolles-et-porsche-en-pole/

Virtual cars don't spontaneously combust as easily I guess.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

That's usually what the servers do

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spotters guide for virtual 24H of le mans

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeap ts not a race ... rallying is a time trial. And cool AF esp when your in a no name national team having a lark in Rally Australia and the actual WRC mechs you are in the service park with are yelling and urging you on to fix the scrap that was the suspension and subframe that was a 07 STI within the utterly improbable 30 minute time limit.

And then after the car os sent out with 4 seconds to spare and you are just struggling to even get off the patch of tarpalun you are that mentally and physically hosed you get a beer and congrats from the Hyundai team.... well poo poo what a sport. Can you imagine Ferrari F1 slumming with Team Koala Fuckers out the back of a muddy oval?

nobody asked but ok

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual is set to start about 3 hours from this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf4d1DujrXc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
If a 24H virtual car race is too high brow for you, the 24H series is also holding an actual automobile race at Portimao for 24h starting soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_yjx3_kk8