Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The last time I took advice from a dog things did not go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm getting ready to start RDR2. I loved RDR's story and exploring, didn't like scripted quests that were fussy and drawn-out, or getting chased by posses and mountain lions.

Any tips for getting off on the right foot with RDR2? I'm not in any rush to get through the content and am happy to take my time and get myself situated for later challenges.

Like the other guy said, take your time. Try to put off doing story missions as long as you can. This is especially true of missions given by Dutch, usually those progress things more than usual. I started my journey with Red Dead by playing Online and that turned out to be a huge mistake, Online feels like a supplement to Singleplayer, don't think of its as just an online version of singleplayer. Its probably best to play online only after you're done with singleplayer, almost think of it as a separate game.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Make sure you spend time around camp during both the day and night between missions to really soak in as much of the story as you can. If you are really not pressing to finish things fast, once you get access to fishing you can basically gently caress off from the main story and have access to all of the game's side content that isn't gated behind specific main story progression triggers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah there's a lot of little things that happen based on time. Like for instance, a colorful character at the bar might show up at the bar between certain times of day. I didn't know about the fishing thing though, does everyone generally agree with that? Do all side content after fishing?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Online has the biggest spoiler you'll care about (the uncovered map), steer clear

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, visit the camp more than you think you should, there's a LOT of content there.

And just bear in mind that there are some Story Missions that will permanently close off some Character Missions, so try and make a habit of knocking those out when you can, just to be safe.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was bitching about the online mode up thread. Up to you if you like it or not, I played for a month and had some fun, but don't even touch it after you finish the SP. It pales in comparison.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Outsidexbox doing live RDO drunk fishing atm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobcHJEVl_0

e: one guy has a horse named Shire Lebeouf

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 10, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dick Trauma posted:

The last time I took advice from a dog things did not go well.

Nonsense. I am a human being, look at my festive jacket and dapper paperboy cap.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
190mb patch on Steam today.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I feel both blessed and cursed that fishing is a part of almost every game ever made.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel both blessed and cursed that fishing is a part of almost every game ever made.

Fallout? Unless you count mirelurks...

Dynamite fishing best fishing, anyway. Get all the boring part over with, work on drinking heavily.

Cruising along the other night, one deer on Chonkus Grande and one being dragged behind, BOOOM hacksplosion.

One only.

Didn't even set me on fire, horse was only down half health, carcasses were same condition.

Awfully timid for a modmenu rear end in a top hat.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
the snob in me is really annoyed by the moonshiner flavorings. why can't they just appreciate my distilling technique and superior mash ingredients :colbert: Also found out you can kill cripps today, and present his mangled body to the next cripps as an example. just move camp and trample him with the horse or use dynamite

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

thetan_guy42 posted:

the snob in me is really annoyed by the moonshiner flavorings. why can't they just appreciate my distilling technique and superior mash ingredients :colbert: Also found out you can kill cripps today, and present his mangled body to the next cripps as an example. just move camp and trample him with the horse or use dynamite

I only play single player. Can you put battery acid in and have people go blind if you gently caress up the distilling like real moonshine?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I only play single player. Can you put battery acid in and have people go blind if you gently caress up the distilling like real moonshine?

No but you can get stuck on an infinite loading screen and lose your entire batch

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What the gently caress is this VRAM cap bullshit? I spent about 30 minutes watching a video about optimizing video settings and when I load the game it decides that I don't have enough VRAM to do what I want.

Took a whole lot of fussing to finally get it to the point where it would save my goddamn settings, and the benchmark gave me a minimum fps of 38 so I guess tomorrow I can get started, but that annoyed the crap out of me. Never had a game just say "gently caress you I won't save your settings" before.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Zesty posted:

190mb patch on Steam today.

with this patch my game has been refusing to load on my main monitor, always defaulting to my other monitor. I can disable the other monitor but then im stuck with just one monitor. if i alt+tab to re-enable the other monitor rdr2 runs like a slideshow and if i close it and run it again, it defaults again back to the first monitor

rdr2 ran fine for months and months, has anyone else noticed this recently or had this problem in the past?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hardon Crime posted:

with this patch my game has been refusing to load on my main monitor, always defaulting to my other monitor. I can disable the other monitor but then im stuck with just one monitor. if i alt+tab to re-enable the other monitor rdr2 runs like a slideshow and if i close it and run it again, it defaults again back to the first monitor

rdr2 ran fine for months and months, has anyone else noticed this recently or had this problem in the past?

I have not noticed RDR2 running fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

John Marston! :toot:

This game looks good, but I'd forgotten how much trouble I'd had last time with the plethora of buttons. And also shooting pretty much anything.

EDIT:

1. Game is gorgeous
2. The scripted sequences are relentless. 40 goddamn minutes before I got a chance to save and exit. That is some bullshit.
3. Horse petting simulator!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 11, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

John Marston! :toot:

This game looks good, but I'd forgotten how much trouble I'd had last time with the plethora of buttons. And also shooting pretty much anything.

EDIT:

1. Game is gorgeous
2. The scripted sequences are relentless. 40 goddamn minutes before I got a chance to save and exit. That is some bullshit.
3. Horse AND DOG petting simulator!

Please Rockstar let me pet the panthers and bears and gators and increase bonding and let them follow me around like in Far Cry 5.

"You insulted my mule... Chompy doesn't like that."

"You named your mule Chompy? <laughs>"

"Nope."

<Legendary Gatoring intensifies>

Also need buffalo/moose breaking, because even the bigass warhorses aren't bigass enough.

(You already have fishing and arrowing and a plot-mandatory kidnapping and villain monologue followed by a feverish escape from the bad guys' secret lair.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Do I dare do it?

Do I restart SP and do the snow level again?

Lol, I'm tempted. Plus since I've already beaten it once I won't be in a mad rush to get to free roam and gently caress around this time. Like, I was paying so little attention before it took a long time to realize who Sadie even was and why she was hanging around.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

skooma512 posted:

Do I dare do it?

Do I restart SP and do the snow level again?

Lol, I'm tempted. Plus since I've already beaten it once I won't be in a mad rush to get to free roam and gently caress around this time. Like, I was paying so little attention before it took a long time to realize who Sadie even was and why she was hanging around.

There are save files available for either just before leaving Ice Station Colter or just after, and being SP it is apparently not going to get you binged for hax.

If you do replay John Ford's The Thing, at least make a save for wherever you want to restart from, and never overwrite it.

(I just wish you could unlock the fishing early without doing as much storyline - you can certainly get most of the weapons early/free, if you can live without being able to customize them. I'm still annoyed that I can't properly pimp out the Mauser that was thrown at me, or at least but a matching second one.)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I'm pretty sure there are save files that start you with all weapons and horses unlocked too.

Or you could use a trainer yourself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I went on the bear hunting mission with Hosea and this game is so good looking it's ridiculous. Even though my marksmanship is terrible I decided to just wander and hunt, and got a turkey and a deer. I'm donating stuff at the camp but there's no indicator if it's accomplishing anything.

I was looking for non story quest markers but maybe this early in the game they're all yellow until all the basics are introduced.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are for sure white dotted stranger missions out in the world for you to stumble on that early in the game. Donating to camp lets you buy upgrades eventually for the campsite.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Some side missions only pop up at night/day

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I should've been clearer:

1. How do you tell that your donations are helping? Should I be saving any of this stuff for myself?
2. I thought that there were supposed to be side missions at the camp, and perhaps there will be. I have already seen them out in the world, just like RDR.

EDIT: Got attacked by my first mountain lion. :lol:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 12, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I should've been clearer:

1. How do you tell that your donations are helping? Should I be saving any of this stuff for myself?
2. I thought that there were supposed to be side missions at the camp, and perhaps there will be. I have already seen them out in the world, just like RDR.

EDIT: Got attacked by my first mountain lion. :lol:

CAUTION: INFO-DUMP COMING

Food donations go to the provisions bar in the upper left. If its yellow its max so it wont do anything just save it. Yellow means everyone around camp will have radom comments about being in a better mood and Pearsons wagon will have cans amd poo poo you can pick up for exploring. If you donated a carcass the fur and feathers is saved and put in a "bank" for crafting. But you won't see it until you unlock camp crafting which comes from buying leather tools from the ledger.

Certain stuff should be going to a trapper instead of pearson who will buy it and make clothes you can buy from him. It follows the same "bank" system Pearson does but you need to buy what he makes after selling him the materials insyead of just getting it for free because hes a private businessman instead of your friend. Theres three trapper locations. One in St Denis, Big Valley, West Elizabeth and Roanoke Rodge, New Hanover. They're hard to find (except St Denis) but it'll be marked on your map when you get a legendary pelt (the big bear you hunt with Hosea for example). Its the same dude he just travels around looking for wares so the "bank" is the same for all three locations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 12, 2020

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Theres three trapper locations. One in St Denis, Big Valley, West Elizabeth and Roanoke Rodge, New Hanover. They're hard to find (except St Denis) but it'll be marked on your map when you get a legendary pelt (the big bear you hunt with Hosea for example). Its the same dude he just travels around looking for wares so the "bank" is the same for all three locations.

There's a fourth trapper location right in the middle of the map near Riggs Station also.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

sirbeefalot posted:

There's a fourth trapper location right in the middle of the map near Riggs Station also.

Yeah, that's generally the easiest to access early-game (unless you build up a big bounty in West Elizabeth, gee not sure how that could happen Micah you worthless gently caress; Roanoke Ridge has a regrettable tendency for a bear spawn right nearby, but it's not a grizzly; the Big Valley one north of Strawberry and Lake Owanjila is chock-full of cougars and grizzlies and enough roadside snakes to keep your horse freaked, plus a gang camp nearby. St Denis, your big issues are the journey there and back, and dealing with the crowds, both in movement and whether your system will stagger.

Last night, had camp spawn in the swamp just southeast of Lakay. Did some faffing around for dailies, got back and there were nine gators loitering around. Six dead gators later, a bear spawned. Nine gator hides and a bear skin later, Cripps can finish filling my big wagon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Some other newbie tips that I always like to share, some related to the above:

- Don't stress donating food to the camp too much. All it really does is change NPC comments and give you some free provisions, which you will not need because hunted food is so plentiful (and the best thing to eat since it refills all three cores) and you'll be constantly looting other food as you play. There's no real material gameplay benefit to doing this so don't feel like you need to be hunting food and bringing back to camp to keep the provisions topped up, there is no real consequence to ignoring it if you aren't having fun doing it.

- Don't stress crafting too much either. This isn't an ubisoft game, you don't need to be constantly upgrading your gear to stay viable. The game is perfectly playable without ever crafting a single pouch upgrade, so if the idea of hunting for specific, high-quality pelts, so that you can carry 5 cans of food at a time instead of 3 doesn't appeal to you, you are perfectly good to ignore it (for perspective I'm a coward who plays every game on easy mode and I never struggled with this one)

- Don't stress grinding side activities for cash, either; the money you make from stuff like selling pelts, robbing people, and stealing coaches is a pretty weak trickle, but a few of the main missions dump massive amounts of money on you. By the middle of chapter three you'll likely have more money than you can spend just by playing the story.

- If you're interested in camp activities (little white circles that appear in camp, look like side missions but they have the letter of a campmate's name on them), be sure to do them as soon as you see them. I'm not quite sure what governs when they appear and when they go away, but they disappear pretty quick if you don't do them.

With all of the above said, you should play the game in the way that is the most fun to you--when I say don't stress something, I only mean that you aren't required to do it to move the game along. If it's fun, do it! If it's not, don't

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'll throw out there that hunting and finding animals for crafting is actually pretty fun and worth doing if you're into it.

Just for the hard to find ones (Cougar, Moose) just save yourself a ton of headache and lookup where they are in YouTube guides because even with those it'll still take ages to find them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Some of the trinkets are worth the effort of getting, especially the one related to pelt quality.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Some of the trinkets are worth the effort of getting, especially the one related to pelt quality.

Oh yeah, these come from a third vendor, by the way. And just for good measure the crafting works just a little bit different with each of the three.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah that one's amazing and makes getting perfect pelts from snakes and poo poo like that so much easier. Being able to use a varmint rifle instead of a bow with small arrowheads is so much easier.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ainsley McTree posted:

Some other newbie tips that I always like to share, some related to the above:

- Don't stress donating food to the camp too much. All it really does is change NPC comments and give you some free provisions, which you will not need because hunted food is so plentiful (and the best thing to eat since it refills all three cores) and you'll be constantly looting other food as you play. There's no real material gameplay benefit to doing this so don't feel like you need to be hunting food and bringing back to camp to keep the provisions topped up, there is no real consequence to ignoring it if you aren't having fun doing it.

- Don't stress crafting too much either. This isn't an ubisoft game, you don't need to be constantly upgrading your gear to stay viable. The game is perfectly playable without ever crafting a single pouch upgrade, so if the idea of hunting for specific, high-quality pelts, so that you can carry 5 cans of food at a time instead of 3 doesn't appeal to you, you are perfectly good to ignore it (for perspective I'm a coward who plays every game on easy mode and I never struggled with this one)

- Don't stress grinding side activities for cash, either; the money you make from stuff like selling pelts, robbing people, and stealing coaches is a pretty weak trickle, but a few of the main missions dump massive amounts of money on you. By the middle of chapter three you'll likely have more money than you can spend just by playing the story.

- If you're interested in camp activities (little white circles that appear in camp, look like side missions but they have the letter of a campmate's name on them), be sure to do them as soon as you see them. I'm not quite sure what governs when they appear and when they go away, but they disappear pretty quick if you don't do them.

With all of the above said, you should play the game in the way that is the most fun to you--when I say don't stress something, I only mean that you aren't required to do it to move the game along. If it's fun, do it! If it's not, don't

Yeah you can ignore most of the side stuff and cowboy-sim stuff in the game, except for occasionally cleaning your guns. Also horse care patting/brushing/feeding can all be done from the saddle.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

None of this is to try to convince you that you should ignore this stuff--it's fun, give it a try, see if you like it! I only raise it to say that it's not mandatory to go forward, and if you don't find particular aspects of the game's content fun, you probably can skip it and just focus on the stuff you do like (compare again to ubisoft where you're gimping yourself pretty hard if you don't hunt down 3 rare monkeys to craft a larger ammo bag or whatever).

For as bad as rockstar mangled the online, I think they did a really good job with giving you freedom to do what you want in the single player. If you want to spend hours hunting and fishing and searching for perfect pelts, you can, but there's never really a point where you have to grind or do something you don't like just to get to the parts you do enjoy. Unless you hate the story missions, then uh, well I guess that's too bad

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Yeah I don't feel any pressure. I saw that Hosea wanted something but Dutch called me over to help someone else. Turns out that fellow needs work done in the same area so I'm taking a long, slow ride out to Emerald Ranch. I'm enjoying the beautiful scenery, other than seeing some poor dude who took a fatal kick from his horse.

I didn't loot him.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Ainsley McTree posted:

there's never really a point where you have to grind or do something you don't like just to get to the parts you do enjoy. Unless you hate the story missions, then uh, well I guess that's too bad

(In joking counter-argument)

I very much hated having to be a bandit for up to level 8 of the challenge, but the bitchin' off-hand holster was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Morter posted:

(In joking counter-argument)

I very much hated having to be a bandit for up to level 8 of the challenge, but the bitchin' off-hand holster was worth it.

I had to get the sharpshooter (i think, cant remember 100%) holsters because of a tv show