Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If you've never read, made, and shared fanfiction you're just a tourist online, visiting the digital world with only a passing understanding of the psychosocial id we will all be consumed by. HAIL GOATSE, the all seeing eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can never know when a goon is reading fanfic on another tab. Any one of us could be doing this, at this very moment.

:tinfoil:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

T-man posted:

If you've never read, made, and shared fanfiction you're just a tourist online, visiting the digital world with only a passing understanding of the psychosocial id we will all be consumed by. HAIL GOATSE, the all seeing eye!

:hai:
I remember submitting stories to Nifty way back in the day.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Who the hell takes the time to write internet fan fiction about actual things other people have done? Now to take a big drink of water and open my let's play to

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Who the hell takes the time to write internet fan fiction about actual things other people have done? Now to take a big drink of water and open my let's play to

My fanfiction-writing days were all before the internet existed, sadly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I've written fanfiction, and it's been a while since I've gone back to it, unfortunately.

Instead, I've become one of those people who uploads videos to the internet rather than doing anything creative or interesting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So how mainstream does fiction have to be before it's not dumb trash for morons?

A book? An internet video? A TV show? Movie? Franchise?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There are only two categories of fiction: dumb trash for morons or boring art for intellectuals.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

So how mainstream does fiction have to be before it's not dumb trash for morons?

A book? An internet video? A TV show? Movie? Franchise?

I suppose selling your work as original fiction would be the first step, and I've read maybe... three stories that could work as such if you swapped the names around

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
In case it wasn't clear I am not judging fan fiction writers because I write LPs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Having read some true garbage urban fantasy stuff like Sherrilyn Kenyon I can safely say aside from spelling errors, typos, etc it's unlikely most fanfiction is going to be as bad as some of the stuff that actually gets published and sold in bookstores.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pentyne posted:

Having read some true garbage urban fantasy stuff like Sherrilyn Kenyon I can safely say aside from spelling errors, typos, etc it's unlikely most fanfiction is going to be as bad as some of the stuff that actually gets published and sold in bookstores.

I have a whole rant prepared about how quality of writing does not equal success but it's mostly bitterness from being a semi-professional writer so uh

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Finished the show this weekend and got hit with many emotions. Maybe even had some onion-cutting happen around me.

Loved a lot about this show, but the top 3 spots absolutely go to:

Catra's Purrito-Scene
Catra (all of her :kimchi: )
Double Trouble

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cybertier posted:

Finished the show this weekend and got hit with many emotions. Maybe even had some onion-cutting happen around me.

Loved a lot about this show, but the top 3 spots absolutely go to:

Catra's Purrito-Scene
Catra (all of her :kimchi: )
Double Trouble

I will continue to post this until this thread shuts down but Catra's five season redemption arc in and of itself is a masterful piece of serial writing.

Catra saved the universe, prove me wrong

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I will continue to post this until this thread shuts down but Catra's five season redemption arc in and of itself is a masterful piece of serial writing.

I very much agree! I wanted it to happen for all of the show, told my husband that I wanted it to happen and was soooooo happy when they finally confessed their feelings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Technically, Catra didn't save the universe, just Adora.

Technically. If you want to be a smartass about it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Technically, Catra didn't save the universe, just Adora.

Technically. If you want to be a smartass about it.

Adora doesn't survive to save the universe without catra's pep talk, ipso facto :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chokes McGee posted:

Adora doesn't survive to save the universe without catra's pep talk, ipso facto :colbert:

And Adora wouldn't have had made the connections or gained the power to save the universe without being raised by Shadow Weaver, so :jerkbag:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Entrapta is the one that actually got the crew into space, shut down the hivemind, and disconnected Catra from Prime, so I think we know who the real hero of the galaxy is :colbert:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

And none of that would have happened without Prime in the first place!

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
Hey, we all talking about how Light Hope saved the universe by pulling baby Adora in through a portal to Etheria?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
You know, if the First Ones hadn't tried to conquer the universe and build a weapon to control it, none of us would have gotten three seasons of catgirl on girl action. Really makes you think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So we’re decided then, it was Bow. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once again, the day is saved. Thanks to Grayskull!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ElBrak posted:

You know, if the First Ones hadn't tried to conquer the universe and build a weapon to control it, none of us would have gotten three seasons of catgirl on girl action. Really makes you think.

What about the other two seasons?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Well, he is best girl.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

What about the other two seasons?

Sorry I couldn't remember how many seasons this show was!

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

experienceBeej posted:

Hey, we all talking about how Light Hope saved the universe by pulling baby Adora in through a portal to Etheria?

surely adora's parents deserve some credit here. poor forgotten adora homeworld.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sio posted:

surely adora's parents deserve some credit here. poor forgotten adora homeworld.

That would make a great follow up series and/or comic imo. If all the first ones are all supposed to be dead or Horde Primed why is there a baby?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

T-man posted:

That would make a great follow up series and/or comic imo. If all the first ones are all supposed to be dead or Horde Primed why is there a baby?

Adora was Kal-El'd via portal.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I can't help but feel this thread is making fun of me :(

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

AlternateNu posted:

Adora was Kal-El'd via portal.

Doomed Planet. Desperate Royalty. Light Hope. Shadow Weaver.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Originally Adora's mom was from Earth. She was a Nasa scientist who crashed on Eternia with her experimental spaceship.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Was Adora sent through time as well as space? Whenever Horde Prime talked about the First Ones it made it seem like they'd all been dead for a long time, and Mara lived 1000 years before the start of the series or something, right?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
#SheRaMovie is trending on Twitter. Looks like it's just wishful thinking by the fandom, though. Not that I blame them!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Doomed Planet. Desperate Royalty. Light Hope. Shadow Weaver.

I appreciate this post.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Swiftwind stayed true to himself through the entire series. Without him we would never learn about justice, equality, apples and communism.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 30, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We need a movie that redoes the story of the tv show but different in really weird ways and then at the end Adora and Catra turn into cars.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MonsieurChoc posted:

We need a movie that redoes the story of the tv show but different in really weird ways and then at the end Adora and Catra turn into cars.

Man the Utena movie was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Finished the series lat night with my wife. There was a lot of ground to cover and I think the season could comfortably have been twice as long (a bunch of side characters barely even got to exist in this one), but they did a good job hitting their bases with the time they were given. Some thoughts -

- Adora and Catra was very cathartic and seemed natural. I don't think they ever foreshadowed these feelings in earlier seasons, but it was always clear that they were the most important people in the world to each other and frankly it mades Catra going so bugfuck crazy about Adora's abandonment make even more sense in retrospect.
- I don't think I loved Bow and Glimmer getting together. They kinda had chemistry, but I liked the show letting a boy and a girl be best friends without having to be romantic partners.
- Shadow Weaver's act of redemption seemed a little forced? I know it's stortytelling tradition to have the most reprehensible antagonist commit a heroic sacrifice both to a) prove they really meant it and b) not have to deal with the consequences of what an rear end in a top hat they were previously, but Weaver hadn't really shown any signs of recrimination beforehand.
- They sorta pulled a Disney over the course of the series and killed off all the moms. Lucky for Bow he had two dads!
- Still laughing that they changed the good guys / bad guys splash pages in the intro like four times to keep up with events.