Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Ice is being rented out around me, and guys on my team have done a couple skates. It doesn't seem intelligent at all to me though, rinks are permitting 20 skaters so that's what everyone's rolling with.

Some 3v3 rink rentals are happening too which seems marginally safer but I'm still not gonna be doing that.

All of this seems to violate the Illinois reopening plan so I'm not sure how that works, it seems like people have decided that the pandemic just doesn't exist anymore and are gonna do whatever the gently caress they want.

Where I'm at a guy on my hockey team said some places are letting you rent ice for games.

Seems like a bad idea considering you're going to have 20 guys all huffing and puffing in an indoor area for the better part of an hour and a half. I declined to join because, maybe it's stupid, but I'm OK spending indoor time with people I know are being more safe and taking this seriously (washing hands, socially reducing contact, physically distancing when out). 20 dudes, half of which are randos that is a friend of a guy? Pass.

For context I live in BC, Canada and basically we're a shining beacon of managing to stop the upward trend right before it got really bad. We're at 10-30 new infections per day now, abouts. And those are due to two large family gatherings (30+ people) all in close contact which are against the rules we have in place now. Which are 6 people or less in indoor spaces and whatnot.

I miss skating so bad right now though. I have been hiking and workout out in my apartment, thankfully I have a pair of dumbbells that I can take from 5lbs - 55lbs with plates but it's not the same at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I've gotten word from my rinks that Summer programs are starting up, but I'm not gonna bother trying to skate again until Fall. It just seems too risky.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Rinks here have been open for small sessions with decontamination and social distancing enforced, but leagues are starting back up in a couple weeks. One hockey coordinator told me he expects the direction l special restrictions (dressing before arrival and limited subs) to be lifted by the 15th. This is the rink that's now running 20-skater pick ups.

doctor 7 posted:

Seems like a bad idea considering you're going to have 20 guys all huffing and puffing in an indoor area for the better part of an hour and a half. I declined to join because, maybe it's stupid, but I'm OK spending indoor time with people I know are being more safe and taking this seriously (washing hands, socially reducing contact, physically distancing when out). 20 dudes, half of which are randos that is a friend of a guy? Pass.

This is exactly where I am. Too many of the other skaters were the ones saying it was unnecessary to shut down in the first place so I have no faith in their ability or willingness to follow guidelines.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got the email this week that our league is starting back up on July 6th. Dunno what the precautions are going to be, but I certainly don't want to go to any ice rinks any time soon. I'm obligated to be there since I'm captain and I have to pay the refs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the patent on a hockey helmet that provides a completely sanitized air supply? Kind of like a scuba, but instead of an air tank it's a battery powered air pump that draws in air, filters the gently caress out of it, then pumps it into your helmet.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Where's the patent on a hockey helmet that provides a completely sanitized air supply? Kind of like a scuba, but instead of an air tank it's a battery powered air pump that draws in air, filters the gently caress out of it, then pumps it into your helmet.

Wear a fish bowl. It’s so hard to breathe in it that it just be keeping all of the air out.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just be like my old teammate who spray Lysol in all of his equipment. It was like a cloud of eye burning smell every time.

I'm up in the air about the fall. I'm one of the youngest guys on the team at 40, so there are some high risks guys on the team. But I loving miss hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

skate in a balaclava you cowards

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those cause concussions, no thanks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

V for Vegans posted:

Make sure you put your peloton bike in the middle of your living room overlooking the LA skyline like in the commercials.

It's gonna go where my $50 exercise bike is right now: in my damp, dark basement, right next to where my hockey gear has been hanging up since I got home from shinny on March 11th

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

I brainstormed with my infection prevention guy about this when we were bored one afternoon! I figured fishbowl as a base for modification, with the bottom half covered with a HEPA filter.

Or we all play in a PAPR and pray you don't fall.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Seriously though. You'd think someone in Canada would have come up with that by now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A fishbowl with filters over the bottom vents feels like it handles 90% of the general risk of transmission in a hockey environment provided nobody is playing too physical and you prohibit goal celebrations and water sharing.

Of course that all falls apart when you then cram everyone into dressing rooms before and after games.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

and you prohibit goal celebrations

no problem for me there

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My first season of adult hockey was against a set team that was awful and we always beat by so many points that we never celebrated because it just felt rude. Thus, even when I score against a really tough team or in a tight game, my automatic reaction is just to calmly skate back to center ice and maybe do a fist bump or two with teammates on the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I got a goal everyone on the bench was confused why faceoff was going to center ice because I gave so little reaction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol hope this rink is the only one in town

https://www.obmarena.com/misc-products/adult-league-beer-pre-order

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress YEAH Great Lakes Dortmunder

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Got an email from the rink that they hope to resume adult league next week but also linked to a new release we're supposed to sign that says we're supposed to stay 6 ft apart at all times while in the facility so...not sure how that's supposed to work

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Gap control

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bauer is here to save us.

http://view.ceros.com/bauer-hockey/hockeysafety-2020-1/p/1

Hockey fashion is about to be tossed into a blender.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Took me a second to realize the full face shield wasn't for players. I was both impressed and confused for just a moment.

I'm telling you, figure out a way to meld a PAPR and a hockey helmet and you'll make a billion dollars.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm mourning the loss of ice hockey, and it sounds like I'm still at least a month out from playing again thanks to the COVID.

That said, I'm thinking about busting out the old roller blades to tear it up around the neighborhood or down the greenways. Does anyone have an old set of high durometer (84/85) wheels they'd want to sell me for cheap that would be good for this? My inlines are Mission Inhalers which are a HiLo setup of 76/80mm I believe. I'm trying to not spend $6/wheel when we all know it's just going to end with me going to urgent care after some shithead kid throws a stick in front of me.

DeNofa fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 22, 2020

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I need to start looking at new roller blades as I snapped the strap on my dads old roller blades that I’ve been using so I have to duck tape the top so that my ankle isn’t too loose to balance in it. I think hockey shops are open against in Mass but I’m not sure how confident I feel going into a store right now to try on roller blades that most likely weren’t washed since the previous person tried them on in a time when every hockey player seems to be trying to substitute ice time with similar activities.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think I broke my team. Our email thread came around again today, some of the team is still sitting out like me, waiting to see what happens with covid, etc.

Somebody mentioned that distancing lasts about 10 seconds and then it's game as usual. I replied that that's why I'm not playing, it's the optimal vector for covid transmission, etc.

Since then 4 people have declared they're sitting out the season :lol:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just booked a stinky socks game for july 10, hockey withdrawals got me jonesin

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

EvilTwig posted:

Let me know how that goes. A lot of people in StinkySocks seem like they’d be the kind of person who assumes covid is a political ploy so they probably won’t be taking anything seriously. Which rink did you sign up for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The basic rules for ASHL's upcoming season are out and they're changing it to 9 skaters max, 4 on 4, no faceoffs, all penalties are penalty shots. The full rules aren't out but they're saying it's "no contact" so it's probably a two stick gap between all players type of requirement.

Except for the no contact it's actually a pretty fun format, it's basically the same as the 3 on 3 cross ice games we sometimes did, but I can't wait to see how the scheme breaks down when someone gets mad and starts playing bodies like they're accustomed to.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

so it's probably a two stick gap between all players type of requirement.

what do you mean here? I can’t envision it.

The rest of those rules were 4v4 of precious leagues I’ve played in. The penalty shot for penalties is fun if you let the other team start at back blue line and try to catch the person taking the shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm just guessing based on the emails, the emails were clear to point out that the game will be "no contact" and I know keeping a gap between skaters is a rule that some rinks have started mandating. The rulebook isn't out yet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
From what I've heard of ASHL I don't know how they're going to enforce any of that if they can't even enforce no fighting. It's probably different from rink to rink but my buddies who play it in the GTA say it's a poo poo show.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
my league is starting this week but my team voted to keep sitting out for now, which was a pleasant surprise.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
How would one even play defense with a two stick length rule? I feel like players would just skate right by you no matter how close they have to get to you. Seems like too much sportsmanship for most beer leagues.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

EvilTwig posted:

I was just reading their plan for reopening yesterday and the closest rink to me isn't slated to host Stinky games until September. Gives me plenty of time to buy a jersey I guess since they are apparently mandatory for even no commitment games now.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've been thinking about it forever and i just can't figure out a way to make it reasonably safe, unless you're really limiting the number of skaters and people on the bench and basically just doing drills where you can keep your distance. Maybe practice breakouts, two on ones, penalty shot type stuff, etc.

Masking everyone with a surgical/cloth mask would be better, even though everyone would hate it. You'd have to have designated water breaks somehow where everyone could spread out to demask and have some water. Plus stay spread out on the bench, so you'd have to mark off no-sit spots with tape or something. And you'd have to strictly enforce the rules, all the time. I think the Bauer fishbowl/mask combo or homemade versions of it would help, although likely not as much as a regular surgical mask, but it'd be better than nothing.

I've even thought about maybe going and wearing an N95, but that sucks even when I'm at work and not really exerting myself. I've actually got an email out to Bauer asking about the protection level of the splash guard, so we'll see how that goes if they can tell me anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Water breaks, what the hell?

You go to the end of the bench away from everyone, take off the mask, face away from the ice have a drink, put it back on. That isn’t hard.

If it has a vent, it isn’t safe. Balaclava is the best unless you want these paper/thin masks to get soaked. But there’s no way to do it safely.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Get those zorb balls to wear instead of padding and change it to ice soccer

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think our league commissioner is getting pressured to get playing ASAP by people who don't care about covid and either want a refund or to play the rest of the season. He recently emailed all the captains and said some bullshit made-up number of "80-90% of players are ready to start playing as soon as 10 days from now if we can get approved".

One of the teams I play on is at about 50% of those who won't play. My other team is the same. I have a difficult time believing 90% are ready to play again.

Also, just because people are ready to play again didn't mean we should. We're trusting a league who can barely schedule games every week to be responsible for our health? Lol. If I've learned anything during all of this, it's how little regard a lot of people have for a virus affecting themselves let alone other people. A lot of people turn this into a political thing but really, viruses don't give a poo poo how you vote or what you believe.

We just had a call last night with all the captains and director. Director didn't send an actual survey, he just emailed every captain to get responses from them. He tried saying that 80% want to play and only a few teams said no. Then he mentioned only half the teams actually responded to him though. I would like to see an actual survey with real numbers vs hearsay. I think the people who are really pushing to play are the only ones responding right now.

He went down a rabbit hole of not being able to use locker rooms, people should wear full bubble masks for better protection. Benches will be elongated with chairs. Limiting team size to 10 skaters and a goalie which sucks for teams who have bigger rosters. Also sucks for people who paid to play but are immune compromised and can't participate until things are safer.

In my opinion, if you have to split hairs that finely, to the point of recommending bubbles for everybody, dressing at home or in the parking lot, maybe it's just not time to come back yet. I think people lose the idea that this is a recreational game, it's not that important and definitely not worth people's lives.

I also wondered about legal liability. Guys in favor of returning right away started tried to say we're all accepting risks to play hockey anyway, this is just another. My opinion is the risks everybody signed up for are hockey related, not catching a possibly deadly virus because someone was sloppy about their hygiene or social distance. One guy said it's the responsibility of each person to notify their captain if they get sick. I know plenty of selfish people who wouldn't say a thing because they want to play regardless. Some people got it and we're asymptomatic so they might not even know they're sick. You just can't trust strangers to do the responsible thing when your health is at risk. From a legal standpoint, if our league jumps through all these hoops and says it's safe to come back, and someone catches it because of the league and possibly dies ... that seems like a massive legal liability. If I were a commissioner I would be terrified of a potential lawsuit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

Water breaks, what the hell?

But there’s no way to do it safely.

You want to keep everyone separated, so water breaks in small groups would help instead of people randomly going to the bench. It's not awesome, but it would help.

But yeah, I'm trying to figure out something Sisyphean. There's really no way to do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My rink is opening up locker rooms and limiting the ice to 10 skaters per side. Drop-in only for now, but I can't imagine leagues being far behind, which is fuckin wild. They're still mandating people stay a stick-length apart. I don't understand how you can have hockey at all like that. I'm friends with the coach of the ALTP class, and he said during their scrimmage, people just gave up keeping distance and went full-throttle. Seems like a great idea.

Oh yeah, they totally jacked the price of everything up to make up for lost money and are charging goalies the full amount (as opposed to free, previously). I can't wait til they open their cafe and we find out a pitcher of Sierra is now $24.99.