Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The short answer is that a decent amount of solar will probably run you $15-20K and absent incentives from your state and the fed (all gone at this point) will probably have payback periods of 15-20 years. and a lifespan of 25-30 years.

The long answer is that there will be a “capacity factor” for how northerly you are, which reflects how much of the day you get sun on average throughout the year, and how directly overhead the sub is (adjusting them multiple times a year will help slightly). So out of a 800W panel you might get 300W real output because you don't generate power during 50% of the day and because you lose some more power due to imperfect angles/clouds/etc.

Smaller installations tend to be less financially efficient because you have to buy the inverter gear and set up the installation anyway, there is a "fixed lower cost" pretty much regardless of how much you generate. But larger installations that generate more power than you can use in the house also tend to be less efficient unless you have “net metering” where the power company pays you the same price for generated power as when you consume it. If they are paying you wholesale power rates (like0.02 a kWh) then whatever excess you generate is effectively “lost”. If you have a battery installation or an electric car that can soak it up then that’s better, but that’s another ten grand. Unless you have net metering, you kind of want to aim to generate the amount that you can actually use on a regular basis.

What the people sitting at costco were really selling you was "we'll loan you the money now and you can pay it back like a mortgage!". Honestly the solar stuff is only an incidental thing in the process of getting you to sign a $20k loan at 7% interest or whatever.

Back when the payback was 5-10 years it was probably worth it if you could afford to flat-out buy the gear, or take out some kind of equity loan from a decent quality financial institution to install it. Now, you have a 15-20 year payback on something with an effective lifespan of 25-30 years. Absolutely not worth it unless you have the money sitting around and are looking for something to do with it. And even then it's better now to just park it in the stock market.

Which is a loving shame because it delivers power that doesn’t have to travel through the grid and provides some relief at the peak of the summer - my local power company doesn’t want to pay to upgrade its capacity and so they blew up two substations at the peak of the summer heat wave last year, but they also very much do not want to pay net metering or give any other incentives to install solar. I think that’s a real common story in a lot of places (hello California PG&E starting wildfires).

But if you're doubling your money in 30 years, that translates into a 2.25% APY or so... at which point you're better off just putting your money in the stock market and buying someone else's power/letting the wildfires burn.

Also, don't put solar on your roof, they have a tendency to burn down houses. If anything goes wrong you have a fire sitting right on your highly flammable asphalt shingles or in your attic, and that's very difficult to fight effectively especially when you've got a bunch of electrical gear sitting right there. If you've got some landscaping you could yank out and replace with panels sitting on rocks/gravel, that's a much better idea.

I feel bad because you clearly put a lot of effort into your post and I neglected to mention that I already have solar. And didn't have to pay for it :haw:

bird with big dick posted:

wtf, my costco stopped carrying take and bake pizzas and is using that space for taco kits and salad kits and poo poo.

The taco kits are wildly inconsistent, but when they're good, they're so god drat good. Every time I go I buy one and it becomes dinner for 2 days for both the wife and I.

I went on Tuesday and dropped $419.81. Quick, what can I buy for 19 cents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I believe you mean 88 cents.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StormDrain posted:

:yikes:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thankfully it is a 420.69 joke, not some weird 1488 joke

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

StormDrain posted:

I almost did, until I realized

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, Nice!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Renegret posted:

I feel bad because you clearly put a lot of effort into your post and I neglected to mention that I already have solar. And didn't have to pay for it :haw:

The taco kits are wildly inconsistent, but when they're good, they're so god drat good. Every time I go I buy one and it becomes dinner for 2 days for both the wife and I.

I went on Tuesday and dropped $419.81. Quick, what can I buy for 19 cents?

how tf did you get free solar

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

it's the sun man, it's right outside just there for the taking

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Solar three basic ways to purchase: you buy it outright, you lease it from a company, or they own it and you buy power from them. "Free solar" is the last one where in you pay nothing up front but still have to pay for the power that comes from it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alan Smithee posted:

My FIL is an idiot.

Real Answer: My FIL is too generous.

My wife got pregnant around the same time as he was (extensively) remodeling his house, so suddenly his remodeling plan involved buying a house down the road, living out of it for the duration of the remodel, then flipping it. Oh and by dumb luck, my wife and I couldn't afford our apartment anymore with her being out of work from having a baby, so hey you can live out of this extra house to save money, just cover taxes and utilities so it costs him nothing to own. Then he sunk a ton of money into silly upgrades that you would never actually do to a flip because everyone knows we're totally going to end up buying the house at some point for the same price that he paid for it as a piece of poo poo foreclosure. Effectively I'm just renting a house with solar already on it. It's not technically my house, but it might as well be.

Then real life got in the way so the house is only half complete, so I have the ceiling missing in random parts of the house, random missing light switches, fixtures hanging from the ceiling, no molding anywhere, no backsplash in the kitchen, no washer or dryer, an empty master bath, bare drywall in half the house, the new boiler only got installed in Janurary a week before a sub zero cold snap, a garage full of my in-laws poo poo, random bare patches in the lawn, random doors that don't fit their frames. The list goes on and on. I do what I can to fix this place up, but I'm limited in time and expertise. A lot of the work we were supposed to do ourselves (he worked in construction so he has the knowledge and tools to do all this, while I'm young and strong enough to actually do the labor) but everyone's life is now a train wreck so we're waiting for COVID to slow down so we can get a carpenter here to just loving do the work.. So my life right now is playing make believe suburban dad when I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Which is why I go to Costco.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 12, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Renegret posted:

My FIL is an idiot.

Real Answer: My FIL is too generous.

My wife got pregnant around the same time as he was (extensively) remodeling his house, so suddenly his remodeling plan involved buying a house down the road, living out of it for the duration of the remodel, then flipping it. Oh and by dumb luck, my wife and I couldn't afford our apartment anymore with her being out of work from having a baby, so hey you can live out of this extra house to save money, just cover taxes and utilities so it costs him nothing to own. Then he sunk a ton of money into silly upgrades that you would never actually do to a flip because everyone knows we're totally going to end up buying the house at some point for the same price that he paid for it as a piece of poo poo foreclosure. Effectively I'm just renting a house with solar already on it. It's not technically my house, but it might as well be.

Then real life got in the way so the house is only half complete, so I have the ceiling missing in random parts of the house, random missing light switches, fixtures hanging from the ceiling, no molding anywhere, no backsplash in the kitchen, no washer or dryer, an empty master bath, bare drywall in half the house, the new boiler only got installed in Janurary a week before a sub zero cold snap, a garage full of my in-laws poo poo, random bare patches in the lawn, random doors that don't fit their frames. The list goes on and on. I do what I can to fix this place up, but I'm limited in time and expertise. A lot of the work we were supposed to do ourselves (he worked in construction so he has the knowledge and tools to do all this, while I'm young and strong enough to actually do the labor) but everyone's life is now a train wreck so we're waiting for COVID to slow down so we can get a carpenter here to just loving do the work.. So my life right now is playing make believe suburban dad when I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Which is why I go to Costco.

can i crosspost this to the Bad With Money thread

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alan Smithee posted:

can i crosspost this to the Bad With Money thread

Please no. I almost deleted that post because I let it get too personal (too late now) and I know how that thread can be.

In his mind he's giving his family a gift (a nice place to live for cheap), his grandson is just down the street, and my FIL is loaded so he can afford it no problem. He gave my BIL a big hefty cash gift to help him buy his house, so the gift to his daughter will be all the work and time sunk into a ratty foreclosure once we save enough to actually buy it off him. The whole "flip" thing is just a cover story that nobody's falling for, he's building out this house for us. The real failure is that we ran out of time and energy to finish.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yo, this shredded rotisserie chicken bag is awesome, you never run out of uses for it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Yo, this shredded rotisserie chicken bag is awesome, you never run out of uses for it

The what now

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

ElGroucho posted:

It’s an unsung hero of the chiller case. I vacuum seal it into fourths and party all month.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It looks hideous, but it's already correctly salted

I'm going to make so many dang quesadillas this week

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ElGroucho posted:

It looks hideous, but it's already correctly salted

I'm going to make so many dang quesadillas this week

It does look hideous, good to know. I avoided just because it looks like packing material.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Martman posted:

thankfully it is a 420.69 joke, not some weird 1488 joke

Oh yeah, I was hesitant but it didn't make sense to me the racist way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does using the Costco auto buying site hand your phone number out to a dozen dealerships that immediately start ringing it nonstop? I'd like to check out some prices but opening the floodgates to salesmen was a real pain when I used the USAA service.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Fallom posted:

Does using the Costco auto buying site hand your phone number out to a dozen dealerships that immediately start ringing it nonstop? I'd like to check out some prices but opening the floodgates to salesmen was a real pain when I used the USAA service.

Yup. And it didn’t give me any better numbers than calling around.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallom posted:

Use a Google voice number and then abandon it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Use a Google voice number and then abandon it

ooh that's a good idea

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I went today, it was ok. I got the things I normally do. Precooked chicken, frozen. Diet Coke. A 12 pack of non scratch dish sponges. Precooked chicken, chilled. Cranberry walnut loaf.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone else see the extremely blessed communion of 3 half rotisserie’s for 5.99?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallom posted:

ooh that's a good idea

Don't even need to abandon it, just put it in the "Do Not Disturb" mode. Never rings, sends everything to voicemail and you still get an email of calls if you want them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Was at church yesterday, they didn’t have my four pack of Kirkland bacon, had to get the the dummy thicc pack instead but it’s not as good as the regular. Looked for the legendary Sherpa blankets but they gone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cartoon Man posted:

Was at church yesterday, they didn’t have my four pack of Kirkland bacon, had to get the the dummy thicc pack instead but it’s not as good as the regular. Looked for the legendary Sherpa blankets but they gone.

Oh, I like the thicc boi. I keep it in the freezer and just slice lardons off to throw in the pan. Makes it last a lot longer. We use bacon mostly as a seasoning though.

I TRIED to do my parents old trick of cooking up two pounds of bacon strips at a time and freezing those, but SOMEONE in the housegot into the habit of snacking on a pound of bacon when they were a fry cook in college and that's why we can't have bacon nice things.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, I like the thicc boi. I keep it in the freezer and just slice lardons off to throw in the pan. Makes it last a lot longer. We use bacon mostly as a seasoning though.

I never even thought about storing bacon in the freezer. I like it very rarely but I have an air fryer now and it cooks perfect bacon in about 6 minutes. How do you store it? Just put it in a freezer bag?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Fallom posted:

When I used it, it only gave my information to one dealership.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No Pants posted:

When I used it, it only gave my information to one dealership.

IIRC, same. And I had a phone call within 90 seconds of submitting my info on the website.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I never even thought about storing bacon in the freezer. I like it very rarely but I have an air fryer now and it cooks perfect bacon in about 6 minutes. How do you store it? Just put it in a freezer bag?

I roll up the bacon strips and place them in a glass dish, and freeze them. I then take the glass dish out of the freezer, pry the bacon rolls off the glass dish, and put them into freezer bags.

I might just be able to just place the rolls into freezer bags and freeze them, but I'm afraid they might stick to the bags. I haven't tried it though.

I make bacon cheeseburgers somewhat often (b/c I'm a fat goon), so it is convenient to be able to just take a few strips of bacon out of the freezer whenever, instead of having to go through the entire pound+ of bacon in the Costco package all at once.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 13, 2020

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The precooked bacon is a good purchase too, especially if you're mostly using it to put on burgers. And it's also great for a quick snack.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If it's cooked, yeah, right in a freezer bag. We'd layer the cooked bacon on to a paper towel so they wouldn't stick. It reheats super quick in the microwave, like 5 seconds.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jingleheimer posted:

The precooked bacon is a good purchase too, especially if you're mostly using it to put on burgers. And it's also great for a quick snack.

The thick cut uncooked bacon is really good IMO. Fry the bacon and then fry your Costco frozen grass-fed beef burger patty in the bacon grease.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The turkey bacon seems to be the best value for the money and it freezes very well.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Turkey bacon is worthless tho.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Costco turkey bacon gets surprisingly crispy and is legit good.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Bought a bag of Daphne's frozen gyro meat. Its good. Just had a greek gyro salad for lunch. :yum:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chinatown posted:

Bought a bag of Daphne's frozen gyro meat. Its good. Just had a greek gyro salad for lunch. :yum:

We got this recently as well.

Got a pack of naan to go with it. Really good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Washout posted:

Costco turkey bacon gets surprisingly crispy and is legit good.

"surprisingly" crispy is still bad when you could just get normal bacon and it's "what I'd expect" and tasty.

Turkey bacon sucks, I say that as a guy who eats a ton of poultry, today's lunch/dinner was some slow cooked turkey breast. Tomorrow I'm making stew from the bones. If you need turkey bacon for health reasons just hold off on the bacon until you get your poo poo in order, and eat the good stuff sparingly when you can.