Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm back in the "office" now but in reality it is just me in my own personal lab now, which is nice. I have a big bean bag chair in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wish I was in my office; I’ve had multiple instances of wishing I had various books that are there

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I had to go into the office to do some hands on stuff and it was just me and a buddy there for a solid four hours. I should have brought back my work keyboard and stuff, thinking about it now since god knows when we'll be back in full time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

company apparently released a doc that said wfh until at least mid September but I’ve not seen it since I’m still on paternity leave 😎

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Soiled Meat
just got word that this whitetail hunting season we're going to be way out of nowhere in the michigan upper peninsula.

excited to trek through the woods in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold with my rifle and never return to a computer again

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I thought the upper peninsula was all rich Dutch reform Protestant enclaves

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was up in the attic digging through my stuff and I found a five year certificate from my last employer which was infuriating as gently caress

A> I was there way more than five years, it's just that much of it was as a contractor

B> gently caress you, why are you giving me a certificate about my "service" when you're going to lay me off anyway

loving poo poo company. gently caress them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

the west is dutch, the north are finnish cornies

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Soiled Meat

so much of it is basically just untouched forest. you can go out on state land and be stuck forever in an endless sea of trees.

my goal in november is to come back with a ton of deer meat or freeze to death.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
throw out the nearest town name to the camp im just curious

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

then at 1:00 coast 2 coast am would come on :getin:

c2cam was the morning drive home after so, so many dj nights

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

B> gently caress you, why are you giving me a certificate about my "service" when you're going to lay me off anyway

all the people burned by this are gone anyways so gently caress it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

holding grudges is really unhealthy

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

throw out the nearest town name to the camp im just curious

how about the county? delta county.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Captain Foo posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

This really is v.true, and not in some metaphysical karmic or christian way either (or "not just", if you prefer). Carrying around resentment scars the soul, it ruins your ability to see the world, it erases all.

Source: There's a big big difference between knowing the path and walking it. :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

I was up in the attic digging through my stuff and I found a five year certificate from my last employer which was infuriating as gently caress

A> I was there way more than five years, it's just that much of it was as a contractor

lol. the bobblehead milestone

mystes
May 31, 2006

Congratulations on your five minutes of service since we last decided you were a worthless human being! Unfortunately, this certificate also serves as your termination notice.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

a comprehensive list of things in the up
1. robber baron hunting estates and compounds
2. resource extraction, and remnants thereof
3. forest swamp
4. scenic poo poo around the lakes not owned by #1

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
don’t forget shanties made of plastic tarps and OSB

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

isn't that where betsy devos' 15k square foot "summer cottage" with 3 boats is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

she also has (had?) a bigass house in lake michigan near holland

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

how about the county? delta county.

nice, thats a really pretty area. get 'em

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PCjr sidecar posted:

2. resource extraction, and remnants thereof
3. forest swamp
4. scenic poo poo around the lakes not owned by #1

In the mid-to-late 90s I spent a few weeks one summer up at Michigan Technological University in Houghton doing some bullshit high school G&T thing (vertebrate physiology? :shrug:).

It was a nice enough program and campus but the drive to and from there: :yikes:.

A couple of years later when it came time to apply to schools MTU did not make the short-list.

E: Apparently it's the best mining engineering school or tied with the one in Colorado, though?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah my dad went to MTU, it's quite competent, or at least was back then

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

living well is the best revenge

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i forgive real material slights very quickly and hold the most petty banal grudges for my entire life. it's a good balance

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fun fact: at one point houghton was a serious contender for state capital. back when mining and logging were the hot poo poo up there.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mosquitoes the size of cattes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

i forgive real material slights very quickly and hold the most petty banal grudges for my entire life. it's a good balance

i quench my thirst with the blood of my enemies, closure is an important part of mental health

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qirex posted:

isn't that where betsy devos' 15k square foot "summer cottage" with 3 boats is

that’s southwest lower Michigan; basically Chicago. As far away as San Diego is to San Francisco. All the non hunting rich folks are on lk Michigan in the lower.

If you’re Devos rich or even deci-devos and you’re going to the UP from anywhere populated you’re gonna fly up and if you’re gonna fly there are better places to fly to.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

In the mid-to-late 90s I spent a few weeks one summer up at Michigan Technological University in Houghton doing some bullshit high school G&T thing (vertebrate physiology? :shrug:).

It was a nice enough program and campus but the drive to and from there: :yikes:.

A couple of years later when it came time to apply to schools MTU did not make the short-list.

E: Apparently it's the best mining engineering school or tied with the one in Colorado, though?

falls under #2 in my list, yeah

good school but lot of grads with a drinking problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

falls under #2 in my list, yeah

good school but lot of grads with a drinking problem

every mining, petroleum or geology student/graduate I’ve ever met have been heavy drinkers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Fool posted:

every mining, petroleum or geology student/graduate I’ve ever met have been heavy drinkers

hitting rock bottom in more ways than one

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

lol. the bobblehead milestone

They had bobbleheads of upper management made and a monthly "winner" got to keep their director's bobblehead on their desk for that month.

Not making that up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They had bobbleheads of upper management made and a monthly "winner" got to keep their director's bobblehead on their desk for that month.

Not making that up.

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not making that up.

brutal

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Not making that up.

bobblopticon

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Captain Foo posted:

getting the covid, surviving, relapsing, then recovering again at the same time sociopaths have either ignored the virus or been fine with the loss of life as long as they can get their olive garden has made me permanently angry and sad and i have nothing to do with either of those emotions so they sit and fester and it feels awful

i sincerely miss how easy going i used to be but i don't know how to get back to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not making that up.

that would be kinda cool if each winner got to vandalize it in whatever way they saw fit