Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Some lady came up to me in public and shoved her phone in my face and yelled "thanks for sending us women back to the 50s you BITCH" and I have no clue why. I was wearing pants that day. My hair was short at the time but I also had a big purple flower clip over my ear. Maybe that was her issue? I have no idea what her problem was. White women are just really fragile sometimes. If anything I'm the opposite because I'm enby and have always dressed kind of weird. But never 50s housewife. I've never been that level of feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mind the walrus posted:

Why do I get the feeling that this person has very strong feelings on Ghostbusters, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and The Last Jedi?

The woman who shared is a friend of mine and was incredibly pro Bernie in 2015 / 16, then became a housewife and suddenly been sharing a bunch of pro cop memes as all of this broke out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a weird kind of irony, in their quest to "protect" women's bathrooms they've effectively made it so you are more likely to be harassed by a cis-woman for trying to use the toilet. They are the biggest threat a woman has to deal with right now, because there's a ludicrously small chance that a man will be in that bathroom and a very small chance a transwoman will be in there, but you know there is always going to be a ciswoman in the toilet so you're never safe.

can any chamber of secrets be truly safe if it might contain a half blood prince?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nastyman posted:

I'm already rubbing my hands in anticipation of the first cis woman with a slight mustache suing a terf for getting up to some Seinfeld-esque shenanigans while she's trying to take a poo poo.

There's been cases of people assaulting cis women who aren't conventionally feminine in and around bathrooms, and calling the cops on them, for years on suspicion that they must be trans.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I remember it being a thing when the first bathroom bills were introduced, somewhat butch women getting cops called for using the bathroom.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Some lady came up to me in public and shoved her phone in my face and yelled "thanks for sending us women back to the 50s you BITCH" and I have no clue why. I was wearing pants that day. My hair was short at the time but I also had a big purple flower clip over my ear. Maybe that was her issue? I have no idea what her problem was. White women are just really fragile sometimes. If anything I'm the opposite because I'm enby and have always dressed kind of weird. But never 50s housewife. I've never been that level of feminine.

Maybe you accidentally created some sort of time portal and literally sent some women back to the 50s. Been doing any unsanctioned quantum experiments lately?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a weird kind of irony, in their quest to "protect" women's bathrooms they've effectively made it so you are more likely to be harassed by a cis-woman for trying to use the toilet. They are the biggest threat a woman has to deal with right now, because there's a ludicrously small chance that a man will be in that bathroom and a very small chance a transwoman will be in there, but you know there is always going to be a ciswoman in the toilet so you're never safe.

I've literally never had an issue myself in the women's restroom because i successfully transitioned into a ordinary dumpy looking lady. Ironically, a cis butch lesbian friend of mine got harassed semi-weekly. It's absolutely baffling how pointlessly cruel it is because despite claiming "we can always tell" they genuinely never can. All they wind up doing is hurting other cis women.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

letthereberock posted:

I’m terrified to follow whatever Michael Palin is up to today because I don’t think I can handle finding out he’s become a lovely person too. He was always my favorite.

Though I suspect Cleese has always been kind of a dick.

Cleese has always, ALWAYS been a dick. I've been saying it.for, like 20 years, and people kept telling me I was just being a dry shite who didn't get his humour. loving vindicated :colbert:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Pookah posted:

Cleese has always, ALWAYS been a dick. I've been saying it.for, like 20 years, and people kept telling me I was just being a dry shite who didn't get his humour. loving vindicated :colbert:

I know it’s well known lore that Cleese based Basil Fawlty off of a real person he met once, but I can’t picture Cleese in real life being anything but exactly like that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Piss Meridian posted:

nah they're fine

they're fynbos

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

The woman who shared is a friend of mine and was incredibly pro Bernie in 2015 / 16, then became a housewife and suddenly been sharing a bunch of pro cop memes as all of this broke out.

I knew someone who when I first met them was “all lives matter” than trump got elected and she went full on resistance, and is now pro black Lives Matter but it’s all filtered through like Harry Potter and supernatural.

And she’s fifty. But I guess cringe USA step up from hate

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pookah posted:

Yeah this isn't an isolated incident for him, he has a very long track record of saying lovely things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

letthereberock posted:

I know it’s well known lore that Cleese based Basil Fawlty off of a real person he met once, but I can’t picture Cleese in real life being anything but exactly like that.

John Cleese turn on your monitor

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ambitious Spider posted:

I knew someone who when I first met them was “all lives matter” than trump got elected and she went full on resistance, and is now pro black Lives Matter but it’s all filtered through like Harry Potter and supernatural.

And she’s fifty. But I guess cringe USA step up from hate

I mean, on the flip side, my aunt went from posting racist "why do I have to press 1 for English" memes a few years ago to posting memes about how white people get the benefit of the doubt in the legal system comparing Brock Turner to that woman who forgot to change her address before voting and got 6 years prison for it, specifically using the phrase "white privilege" so the message is working!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

letthereberock posted:

cleese is just your typical upper middle class british gentry boomer who got wealthy and chuddified, but the hotel manager who inspired basil fawlty was a guy who ran a hotel and just visibly hated all of his guests which was a pretty great concept for a character

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nostradingus posted:

Maybe you accidentally created some sort of time portal and literally sent some women back to the 50s. Been doing any unsanctioned quantum experiments lately?

Goddammit, I can be so oblivious sometimes :doh:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've literally never had an issue myself in the women's restroom because i successfully transitioned into a ordinary dumpy looking lady. Ironically, a cis butch lesbian friend of mine got harassed semi-weekly. It's absolutely baffling how pointlessly cruel it is because despite claiming "we can always tell" they genuinely never can. All they wind up doing is hurting other cis women.

I've only ever had any ladies give me grief at one music show. And that was only me hearing "there's some guy in the bathroom" when I was in the single occupancy ladies room. They didn't say anything to me when I can out, nor did I confront them.

Compare to me telling another lady one day at Costco many months before "hey the lock is broken on this door btw." And she thanked me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On another note it's always funny when older celebrities claim that shows are "afraid to take risks" because what they mean is "less willing to punch down by making fun of marginalised groups" In what way are Steven Universe having the first animated gay wedding, a musical comedy exploring all facets of mental illness and a Satanist take on Sabrina the Teenage witch "afraid to take risks"?

This was triggered because of a youtube video where Known Scottish Garbage Pile Frankie Boyle was claiming "TV is afraid to take risks now". If anything it's become more emboldened to tell more interesting stories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, Frankie is the first to call actual assholes out and gets people crying when they find out he’s a comedian and doesn’t actually believe the things he says on stage.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My example to shut that poo poo down is pointing out that Jojo Rabbit, a comedy about a Hitlerjugend kid in WW2 with Hitler being his imaginary friend won an oscar this year.

There's literally a scene where they pull the pin off of grenades in kids backpacks or whatever and tell them to go hug the American (?) soldiers, lol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BioEnchanted posted:

On another note it's always funny when older celebrities claim that shows are "afraid to take risks" because what they mean is "less willing to punch down by making fun of marginalised groups" In what way are Steven Universe having the first animated gay wedding, a musical comedy exploring all facets of mental illness and a Satanist take on Sabrina the Teenage witch "afraid to take risks"?

This was triggered because of a youtube video where Known Scottish Garbage Pile Frankie Boyle was claiming "TV is afraid to take risks now". If anything it's become more emboldened to tell more interesting stories.

Frankie Boyle wasn't talking about Steven Universe, he was talking about supposed "grown-up shows" that still go to outdated and racist stereotypes like Homeland and that show where Americans thought the dude hosed his mom.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Welp, that was ironic of me. Totally kneejerked a situation based on a lack on information and became the type of idiot I thought he was being. :P

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Only one joke.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1271518314968252418

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/kascal/status/1271451804715429891?s=20
🤔

"Coquettish smirk"??
This is just reminding me of the lameass non-binary character in that lameass show Spaced (i never got the cult following, it's like a fairly basic american sitcom), who is somehow depicted as both repellant and magnetic.

British comedians are hosed

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Ebola Roulette posted:

"A penis free environment"

How would you even know who has a vagina and who doesn't in a women's restroom? Does she peek under the stalls?

She kept talking about how she had links to all of these incidents of trans women (or men pretending to be trans) assaulting women in bathrooms and never showed them. She didn't know what the big deal was with trans women using the men's room, and demanded we show evidence of trans women being assaulted by men in the men's room.

I said that she sounds like the same scared white women that were terrified of desegregation leading to black men raping white women willy nilly. Her response, before my friend blocked her, was "That's a strawman: You can't identify as a race."

I've never had a facebook argument that intense (I rarely touch the poop), but being a dedicated lurker of this thread I had seen it many times, just never in my social media sphere. Turns out, of course, she was a British white woman who considered herself a champion of gay rights.

EDIT - Forgot the "strawman"

AlliedBiscuit has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 12, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't feel bad using this opportunity to :smug: and point out that I've never loving liked Black Books or the IT Crowd. They're the British Applebees of humor. Yeah sure they're not the worst and some of the staff is clearly elevating things, but the core is rotten and it's puzzling why so many people latch on like they're these venerable comedic/cultural landmarks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

You should also consider that Frankie is in the UK so using the example is an American cartoon you need to subscribe to see is probably a poor example. Also lol if you think Sabrina is edgy but even then it's on Netflix who'll commission pretty much anything.

The state of mainstream TV in the UK is absolute garbage.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I don't feel bad using this opportunity to :smug: and point out that I've never loving liked Black Books or the IT Crowd. They're the British Applebees of humor. Yeah sure they're not the worst and some of the staff is clearly elevating things, but the core is rotten and it's puzzling why so many people latch on like they're these venerable comedic/cultural landmarks.
Huge same. I watched the first few eps of IT Crowd and while executive guy made me chuckle it's just like "oh you made big bang theory if it was just sorta unwatchable and not completely unwatchable. Pass."
Given their cult status its surprising how...basic and conventional sitcoms Spaced and IT Crowd are in the worst way. I guess with the former it's just the love for Simon Pegg, and the accents.

Just glad Richard Ayoade got to go on and do something dope and funny in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Punkin Spunkin posted:

...conventional sitcoms Spaced and IT Crowd are in the worst way. I guess with the former it's just the love for Simon Pegg, and the accents.

Spaced was a massive cult hit before anyone even knew Simon Pegg from anything else. Hell, for years people would see him in stuff *because* of Spaced.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Spaced is good, so is Black Books. Black Books also only had Linenhan on it for one series before it was all Moran.

Can understand disliking them though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

social media is the idiot

https://twitter.com/evansiegfried/status/1271211451399757825

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/dominiquetaegon/status/1271550134816555009

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Spaced was a massive cult hit before anyone even knew Simon Pegg from anything else. Hell, for years people would see him in stuff *because* of Spaced.

Spaced was the first sitcom to address my nerdy generation; no comedies before that were doing “Resident Evil fever dreams” or “getting awkward when someone wants to buy a bit of your weed” or whatever - it was the point where geek stuff felt like it was becoming mainstream to me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mind the walrus posted:

IT Crowd had some great bits that have become justifiably famous, especially when it stuck to its roots as a workplace comedy. I'm thinking of things like the new emergency number, the goth living in the server room, or Jen being given The Internet. But those are interspersed among a whole lot of episodes where the entire joke is "ha-ha, [character] is acting feminine and/or gay!" Sometimes it's in the same episode: the one with Jen breaking the Internet has a particularly infamous B-plot.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just glad Richard Ayoade got to go on and do something dope and funny in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place

Dark Place was well before IT Crowd. The sad thing is that Ayoade's fame is probably far more to do with IT Crowd than Dark Place and Man to Man with Dean Lerner, both of which are loving gems that Channel 4 should be eternally shamed for not supporting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is just reminding me of the lameass non-binary character in that lameass show Spaced

Which character are you talking about? I'm racking my brain and can't figure it out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sunswipe posted:

Dark Place was well before IT Crowd. The sad thing is that Ayoade's fame is probably far more to do with IT Crowd than Dark Place and Man to Man with Dean Lerner, both of which are loving gems that Channel 4 should be eternally shamed for not supporting.

God they are both so good. I still think back to the bit with Dean opening fire on the guy coming out of the grave on a completely different day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Spaced was the first sitcom to address my nerdy generation; no comedies before that were doing “Resident Evil fever dreams” or “getting awkward when someone wants to buy a bit of your weed” or whatever - it was the point where geek stuff felt like it was becoming mainstream to me.

Yeah, I don't recall any hype I just happened to have S4C (sigh) on when the first episode aired, and it was a revelation for sure. Right place, right time, right age. I remember trying it a few years back and feeling the age, but I think if I tried it again now it'll work better for more nostalgic reasons as it's old enough now.

IT Crowd I remember seeing the billboards for, and feeling disappointed that the 'Father Ted guy' made something a lot worse than Father Ted. Like, it's fine and enjoyable enough but it's in an entirely different class. Arthur Matthews deserved more credit, evidently.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

https://twitter.com/3_3llui/status/1271562226525077505?s=21

God fucks.

Senf has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Huge same. I watched the first few eps of IT Crowd and while executive guy made me chuckle it's just like "oh you made big bang theory if it was just sorta unwatchable and not completely unwatchable. Pass."
Given their cult status its surprising how...basic and conventional sitcoms Spaced and IT Crowd are in the worst way. I guess with the former it's just the love for Simon Pegg, and the accents.

Dark Place was before IT Crowd. He's done a few good things since then though. Gadget Man and Travel Man are pretty good. He also directed the My Dinner With Andre episode of Community, which is one of the best episodes.