Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat she thirsty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

drat she thirsty

I don't want to sully this comment with a 'more like old subtextless' joke but I can't resist

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
violet seeds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Coke knows what they're doing with these ads. I took this one in the wild a while ago

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

bike tory posted:

Coke knows what they're doing with these ads. I took this one in the wild a while ago

When I was a teen, someone pointed out that the pieces of ice swirling around the can on the artwork covering the front of the schools Coke machine were arranged as sensual women. I saw it at the time but then again, when you're a horny teen it's not difficult to see naked people in abstract things. Barely plausable sensual deniability in advertising has definitely been a thing forever.

E: went looking and we had this one:

The rest of the can had similar posed "sexy figures in ice" all over it but I can't find a full pic.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Jun 11, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm sure everyone's seen this old one before but I was err, blown away when my coke rep buddy showed me a genuine print in the wild

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Balls of the Wild

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Legend of Deez Nuts

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

jojoinnit posted:

E: went looking and we had this one:

The rest of the can had similar posed "sexy figures in ice" all over it but I can't find a full pic.

looks like ice

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm sure everyone's seen this old one before but I was err, blown away when my coke rep buddy showed me a genuine print in the wild

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

John Lee posted:

looks like ice
Yeah that's some 1980's "play this rock album backwards and it's the devil talking to you"-level ridiculousness. If you want to see a sexy ice lady or listen to the devil talking I guess you're going to find it but I think it's more than a bit contrived.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand the CIA also had a psychic research division so that seems like exactly the kind of madness a marketing department with infinite budget would come up with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i seem to remember there being an ad for the Tuborg Gold beer (nicknamed "den gyldne dame" = "the golden lady"), so I googled but only found this one

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand the CIA also had a psychic research division so that seems like exactly the kind of madness a marketing department with infinite budget would come up with.

Somebody in the 70s heard Russia had psychic spies so the CIA started a counter-psychic program that kept going all the way until 1995.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Subliminals" was a huge thing in the 70's. Hidden sessy images in ads, a "study" showing a single frame of a Coke inserted into a movie increased concession sales 40%, background sounds and vocals in songs, etc. Even before the whole "backwards masking" poo poo of the 80's.

I heard a guy claiming the "Ooga-chaka" in Hooked on a Feeling was really "who got sucked off". And not some stoner rando, but a marketing guy. There were dire warnings that advertisers and the government would be controlling our minds with subliminals (Yep, the basis for They Live).

I caught on to it being bullshit when another researcher had a pic of a Ritz cracker with the word SEX allegedly imprinted all over it. He'd basically drawn the letters around all the bumps and bubbles on the cracker. If you look at any random close set group of similarly sized circles, you can fill in pretty much any letters you want.

(Or that's what they want you to think!):tinfoil:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrUnderbridge posted:

I caught on to it being bullshit when another researcher had a pic of a Ritz cracker with the word SEX allegedly imprinted all over it. He'd basically drawn the letters around all the bumps and bubbles on the cracker. If you look at any random close set group of similarly sized circles, you can fill in pretty much any letters you want.

The height of this was the "Bible Code" jackoffs who 'discovered' secret messages via the Equidistant Letter Sequence method which is where you look at every nth letter in a sequence and they sometimes spell out words, which they thought was super significant. Statisticians quickly showed that you can do the exact same thing with any other book, and one TV comedian even used the technique to find warnings about the 911 attack in Vanilla Ice lyrics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code

... but the lovely Bible Code books were so popular that they topped the best seller lists and the movie rights were bought by Warner Brothers

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

And of course:

Cartoon Man has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Jun 12, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

And of course:

I'm guessing you know this by now but it says SFX and neither were actual company policy like the feared subliminal advertising

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bernard, look at the... Oh you missed it

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/uCo52sh.png

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

MrUnderbridge posted:

"Subliminals" was a huge thing in the 70's. Hidden sessy images in ads, a "study" showing a single frame of a Coke inserted into a movie increased concession sales 40%, background sounds and vocals in songs, etc. Even before the whole "backwards masking" poo poo of the 80's.

I heard a guy claiming the "Ooga-chaka" in Hooked on a Feeling was really "who got sucked off". And not some stoner rando, but a marketing guy. There were dire warnings that advertisers and the government would be controlling our minds with subliminals (Yep, the basis for They Live).

(Or that's what they want you to think!):tinfoil:

Behavior and psychology scientists did some work presenting random vowel sounds to people and asking them what they heard. Turns out people hear what they are primed to hear, or motivated to hear - the sounds don't guide your behavior, your behavior guides how you interpret the sound. So the marketing guy outed a lot of his own obsession there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dienes posted:

Behavior and psychology scientists did some work presenting random vowel sounds to people and asking them what they heard. Turns out people hear what they are primed to hear, or motivated to hear - the sounds don't guide your behavior, your behavior guides how you interpret the sound. So the marketing guy outed a lot of his own obsession there.

"Priming" is one of the casualties of the replication crisis, and is indeed an exemplar of how bad research can come to be accepted.

As an aside I swear that the vocoded speech in the Beastie Boys' Intergalactic is "I have an erection" and not "another dimension."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phanatic posted:

"Priming" is one of the casualties of the replication crisis, and is indeed an exemplar of how bad research can come to be accepted.

As an aside I swear that the vocoded speech in the Beastie Boys' Intergalactic is "I have an erection" and not "another dimension."

Also, "...like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Also, "...like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock..."

...is that not the actual lyric?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To be honest it doesn't sound like "of". Nor would that lyric actually make sense. "From" would be more logical. It almost sounds like "go" but I dunno. It's been awhile.
E: I slowed it down. I suppose it could be 'of'. But still, it wouldn't be like pinching the neck of Mr Spock. Or maybe. Can Vulcans be neck pinched?

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Jun 12, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Ape of Naples posted:

. Can Vulcans be neck pinched?

It would be a weird thing for them to have developed only after warp travel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmm yes, lyrics websites are surely accurate :thunk:

To be honest it doesn't sound like "of". Nor would that lyric actually make sense. "From" would be more logical. It almost sounds like "go" but I dunno. It's been awhile.
E: I slowed it down. I suppose it could be 'of'. But still, it wouldn't be like pinching the neck of Mr Spock. Or maybe. Can Vulcans be neck pinched?

its "from"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Can Vulcans be neck pinched?

Not sure, but if someone has Aatrek's email, he could probably tell us.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

(Yep, the basis for They Live).

To give Carpenter his due, the movie is more about capitalism and ideology than aliens hiding sexy ladies in coke billboards

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/evansiegfried/s...agenumber%3D517

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Phanatic posted:

lmao

i have an erection
ihaveanerection
ihaveanerection

iHAVEanEReCtion
IhaveANerEctIon

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I see, they're hiring former goons...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally someone is taking action against the nude pet menace

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Turns out this wasn't the story at all.

https://twitter.com/mosseri/status/1271577764236152833

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

pfft, well that's a whole different thing entirely then.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally someone is taking action against the nude pet menace

x

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hmmyes:

:smith:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

RIP

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Why is it For, not Against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coward posted:

Why is it For, not Against?

The linked article indicates that he was never convinced to reveal that detail.