Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Someone in a thread said that the horses in TLOU have far too long necks and legs, while Tess is like that politician from The Thick of It in that her head is too small. The characters also looked really gaunt in the pre-rendered cinematics.
the long of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently yes.

Lol

Also it was probably posted in this thread but

quote:

“I don’t want to go into specifics about it, but I saw a video of a lynching when I was much younger” Druckmann said in a GQ interview. “It was like an actual… like a news thing. And then, feeling intense hatred for the people that committed the lynching and thinking, like, ‘oh man if I could hurt these people in some horrible ways then I could.’”

While writing the story for Part 2, Druckmann spent some time reflecting on those feelings, that intense hatred he felt at the time. “I was like, oh we can make the player feel that,” he explained. “We can make you experience this thirst for revenge. This thirst for retribution, and having you actually like commit the acts of finding it. And then showing you the other side to make you regret it. To make you feel dirty for everything you’ve done in the game, making you realize ‘I’m actually the villain of the story.’”

Now im not saying violent revenge murder is good but i think its less bad than lynchings?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

ellie is morally correct to kill the dog because dog enemies loving suck rear end in video games

the flashback bit is extremely lol though and feels more like it should be a dark comedy bit rather than actual serious writing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How dare you this is serious Oscar quality writing

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
ELLIE: [somber, dying] who... throws a shoe? seriously.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Truly we were the last of us.... Too....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Endorph posted:

Lol

Now im not saying violent revenge murder is good but i think its less bad than lynchings?

holy poo poo, just shut up you dumbass. christ druckman

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This feels like a triple a version of a newgrounds flash horror game

My grody, pissstained girlfriend

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Guys, let's refocus the topic a bit. I know we all feel very strongly about the dogs and stuff but -hear me out- what about the loving horses ?? Who missed those segments from the first game ? The horses control like rear end and add absolutely nothing of value to the game. I propose we petition ND so Ellie murders one of the horses instead of the dog. Seems only fair.

There's always the DLC expansion chance.

Endorph posted:

I think you just scooped how the standalone multiplayer is going to work when they release it.

It's a 1v100 battle royale where one player gets lynched and tortured by a mob. Score points for the most brutal and drawn-out death possible. Comes with Twitch integration.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Truly we were the last of us.... Too....
Honestly I kind of wish Shinji Mikami would direct Last of Us 3 now. Like it would just turn into some wild poo poo and be better than the first two games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

why is it only weird now, and why is the highly-promoted visceral and disturbing human murder on top of dog murder a point in TLoU2's favor

what? i was just making the point its really weird when its the dog enemy that pushes it over the line for people and i am judging them in my head for it

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

no, even if you dont like the game its not incompetent at all and all the acting is fantastic so its not going to be like watching a david decoteau film or anything

Dewgy posted:

Personally I think it’s a good idea but I’d genuinely expect the “play it because it’s bad” aspect to backfire on you. Have you played the first one yet?

haven't finished the first one but it came free with my ps4 when i bought it years ago, so we would be playing that one first. i figure that will be a good roadmap for how enjoyable the entire endeavor would be

I played maybe 90 minutes of the first one and thought it was pretty hokey, and the 2nd one sounds insane so that's where the idea came from

not trying to disrespect tlou/2 for any who genuinely like it, just describing where im at

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1 is the most stock standard zombie story with good actors and dialog, it would probably be extremely difficult to mst3k it but go for it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stux posted:

what? i was just making the point its really weird when its the dog enemy that pushes it over the line for people and i am judging them in my head for it

blame Naughty Dog's marketing then, for making dog enemies their biggest feature

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Endorph posted:

Lol

Gonna go on a Scorching Hot Take here and say that kicking the rear end of members of a lynch mob is Actually Good

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ErrEff posted:

It's a 1v100 battle royale where one player gets lynched and tortured by a mob. Score points for the most brutal and drawn-out death possible. Comes with Twitch integration.

Also I should add that the player getting lynched is a dog. Really hitting the message home that way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Unnamed One posted:

Gonna go on Scorching Hot Take here and say kicking the rear end of members of a lynch mob is Actually Good

ok but picture this: the lynch mob...also has dogs

now we're cooking with gas

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

blame Naughty Dog's marketing then, for making dog enemies their biggest feature

as we all know marketing and advertising departments are without fault and also to be trusted in all situations, thanks to the invisible hand of the market

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Unnamed One posted:

Gonna go on a Scorching Hot Take here and say that kicking the rear end of members of a lynch mob is Actually Good
I like that the anger is pasttense. He is no longer angry at the lynch mob

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

1 is the most stock standard zombie story with good actors and dialog, it would probably be extremely difficult to mst3k it but go for it

It’d work better with people familiar with it who like it I think. Rifftrax has proven even genuinely great movies can be spoofed, so TLOU1 could be a good time with the right people. The cutscene commentary tracks in Remastered are pretty good too.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Hwurmp posted:

ok but picture this: the lynch mob...also has dogs

now we're cooking with gas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhkrvBNnAcw

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

as we all know marketing and advertising departments are without fault and also to be trusted in all situations, thanks to the invisible hand of the market

So blame... Naughty Dog?

What studio of a decent size doesn't actually talk to its leads on this? I can't think of any.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TLoU2 has been proven redundant, we can all go home

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

I like that the anger is pasttense. He is no longer angry at the lynch mob

he has a man-bun, now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dogstile posted:

So blame... Naughty Dog?

What studio of a decent size doesn't actually talk to its leads on this? I can't think of any.

yeah it would be impossible for marketing to ever be misleading, especially for a video game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

yeah it would be impossible for marketing to ever be misleading, especially for a video game

Yes, but you still blame the studio. As the marketing department is part of the studio. You don't go "oh the audio sucks, lets just blame the audio people", you blame the studio. It's a collaborative effort.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why is anyone still engaging with Stux?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Good point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yes, but you still blame the studio. As the marketing department is part of the studio. You don't go "oh the audio sucks, lets just blame the audio people", you blame the studio. It's a collaborative effort.

i blame capitalism personally but you do you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lynch mob bad, but what if the person being lynched... is Mussolini? I bet you feel ashamed of going against the lynch mob now huh?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlestonJew posted:

lynch mob bad, but what if the person being lynched... is Mussolini? I bet you feel ashamed of going against the lynch mob now huh?

well yeah a little tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Are they lynching him for joining the nazis or doing a bad job helping the nazis

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

Are they lynching him for joining the nazis or doing a bad job helping the nazis

half from column A, half from column B

they put aside their differences to lynch him together

makes u think

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Stux posted:

[checking my watch] ah its still weird people are drawing the line at dogs and not humans

Humans have agency. Animals do not. Both are virtual, in this context, but I'm sure you can see how it would make a person feel more worse killing a creature that is literally incapable of being bad - any bad dogs, such as they are, are made so by their owners. You, as a player, are able to project insidious intent onto humanoid antagonists but are not able to with animals, especially ones that are our pets and companions.

I am not saying this makes the game bad but it makes me not want to play it. I love animals and won't even hunt in games with hyper realistic animals. It makes me feel bad. Games will never be the same as movies, or be able to be evaluated the same way. I can watch a movie where a dog dies or is killed - I don't usually like to, though - but a developer forcing me to do it is somewhat perverse and just makes me hate the developer for forcing that on me. I'm just glad I know about it with this game before it happens.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 13, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Humans have agency. Animals do not. Both are virtual, in this context, but I'm sure you can see how it would make a person feel more worse killing a creature that is literally incapable of being bad - any bad dogs, such as they are, are made so by their owners. You, as a player, are able to project insidious intent onto humanoid antagonists but are not able to with animals, especially ones that are our pets and companions.

lot of words to try and justify a completely alien mindset lol

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Stux posted:

lot of words to try and justify a completely alien mindset lol

I'm just going to assume you understand and somewhat agree but can't engage because it would impinge on your need to fanboy this game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no i dont agree. killing a human in abstract is worse than an animal. cool i was called a sociopath for thinking this earlier and now we have this justification lol

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Stux posted:

no i dont agree. killing a human in abstract is worse than an animal. cool i was called a sociopath for thinking this earlier and now we have this justification lol

I think if you interrogated that and took it to its logical conclusion you would find that that to be incorrect.

Many humans actively make the world a worse place. No animal does, at least not willingly, and if they do make the world a worse place - overpopulation, etc. - it's because humans have destroyed habitats and eliminated natural predators.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Stux posted:

Well, nobody else is defending dog killing, even if just virtually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

qnqnx posted:

Well, nobody else is defending dog killing, even if just virtually.

True!