Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
When Hannibal is good, imo, it's him loving around with the FBI and all the convoluted "dont think too hard its just cool" Death Note-y plots that follow.
Id be down for a series where he just slowly murders literally every member of the FBI in the United States and nobody ever notices because of weird elaborate anime plotting

I was curious about Gideon though (mid season 2)....how does he know that Will wants to send the attendant after Hannibal in the first place? I guess he's just supposed to be so smart and perceptive and in on Chilton's (who i just love haha) crooked business that he knows they hired a psycho guy (it seemed like he only knew the guy was unexperienced) and then that psycho guy and Will conspire with the mics off and Gideon just like...knows all about it.
Either way his snitching annoyed the hell out of me.
Sure, as a viewer i know Hannibal cant die or get imprisoned yet, but the show still keeps the fun and tension going despite that.

Im rubbing my hands waiting for the two most annoying lab guys in Jack's team to finally die, since they chose to kill the most tolerable and least generic-CSI-banter one in Beverly first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Just watched The Lobster as part of a Netflix watch party with friends. Half the people loved it, half the people despised it.

(I loved it)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

Just watched The Lobster as part of a Netflix watch party with friends. Half the people loved it, half the people despised it.

(I loved it)
I like it too, but I totally get why people dislike it. I have a hard time recommending it to people.

Same director made The Favourite, which is also great.

Killing of a Sacred Deer is ok.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a second Midnight Diner listing on Netflix? I'm seein' double here!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really liked Sacred Deer, thought the Lobster was nice. Dogtooth was a trip. Thanks for the reminder that I still somehow need to see The Favorite. Guess it just hasnt been on prime or netflix for me to catch.

Also goddammit Will, yes JUST BLOW HIS BRAINS OUT
No, it's NOT a complex moral quandary of any kind. No you don't wanna "see how this ends" since him not being imprisoned or dead that night means he will be free to kill again and certainly will.

Taking a human life is a grave and terrible thing, but in the case of nazis and INSANE CANNIBALS THAT WILL DEFINITELY JUST EAT SOMEONE NEW TOMORROW, the answer is "just shoot"

Yes, doing it would make you feel righteous.......cuz it is righteous. This isn't some dude who killed somebody sticking up a convenience store, or even a teenage school shooter. This is a grotesquely cartoonish monster. 🤣🙄

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Apparently Mads Mikkelson's interpretation of Hannibal is that he's Satan on earth in human form so he can study humans out of curiosity

Add to that the realization that Mr. Bean (also been streaming the classic series on Prime, just pure childhood nostalgia and slapstick) is an angel cast down to earth (clearly, don't you come to me with that "alien race of mr. Beans" bullshit) and suddenly we have a battle of immortals on earth unlike any known before.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's an Indian Tamil-language hyperlink movie called Super Deluxe on Netflix right now that absolutely everybody needs to see, because it's low key a late entry into the best films of 2019 category.

Now, I know a lot of y'all might be thinking, "Man, I hate hyperlink cinema" -- I want you to imagine a hyperlink movie where the inevitable magical realist climax simultaneously maintains the same veneer of transcendental humanism, but is at the same time completely tongue-in-cheek and straightforward about it. Think Magnolia, but by way of Guy Ritchie and Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Trailer doesn't really do it justice, but I'm mostly posting to convey the other plus of this movie -- just an absolutely flawless cinematography and production design all around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Xq_Zz3nPA

Seriously, don't sleep on this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogtooth was my favorite by a long shot. Sacred Deer was alright. I hated the Lobster tbh.

I dunno. I’m down with weird. but Dogtooth was the only one of his films that was weird in a way that resonated with me. The others just sort of bored me as I waited for them to end.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Finally got around to watching Coherence last night, and it was surprisingly really good. The acting could have been a bit better in some parts, but for a movie made in only 5 days it was pretty enjoyable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Apparently Mads Mikkelson's interpretation of Hannibal is that he's Satan on earth in human form so he can study humans out of curiosity

Add to that the realization that Mr. Bean (also been streaming the classic series on Prime, just pure childhood nostalgia and slapstick) is an angel cast down to earth (clearly, don't you come to me with that "alien race of mr. Beans" bullshit) and suddenly we have a battle of immortals on earth unlike any known before.

Sounds like a great idea for a season 2 of Good Omens.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF HANNIBAL...WILL SENDS A GANG OF JUGGALO DIAPERFURS AFTER DOCTOR HANNIBAL LECTER IN RETALIATION FOR THE EARLIER FURRY ASSASSIN ATTACK.

I swear if that motherfucker had hurt that dog...
No forgiveness!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BisterdDave posted:

Finally got around to watching Coherence last night, and it was surprisingly really good. The acting could have been a bit better in some parts, but for a movie made in only 5 days it was pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, I really love that film

Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer are amazeballs

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

wizardofloneliness posted:

Mads Mikkelson is a very beautiful man :colbert:

:swoon:

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The casting in Hannibal is so wonderful, too. All the supporting actors are such a surprising delight when they arrive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like their spin on Fred Lounds, who is now Freddie Lounds, a hot redheaded girl who is still just the worst.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im not super familiar with the Hannibal uhhh universe...i saw Red Dragon and parts of the other two movies when I was a tween. I had no idea Lounds was a character, though I remembered Chilton. And Gary Oldman's character from the movies. And i was a fan of Michael Pitt's acting so I remember mention of him when this series was happening, and the kinda guy he'd be playing....

I bring that up to say, im sure others familiar with these books and movies already knew way earlier, but my face watching Season 2 Episode 10 when I suddenly realize as Margo approaches this motherfucking castle who her brother is gonna be...
👁👃👁

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The clock scene is legit one of my favourite moments in TV.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Season 4 of F is For Family is up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Detective No. 27 posted:

Season 4 of F is For Family is up.

Season 3 was so fuckin dark. I hope it lightens up a bit

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Knives Out is up on Prime!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Knives Out was the most fun I've had at the theater in a long time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chappelle just dropped a new show on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4

Not really comedy just straight fire

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's barely even subtext.

Also Hannibal takes place in the same continuity as Pushing Daisies so it's not even breaking genre, really. :colbert:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's barely even subtext.

Also Hannibal takes place in the same continuity as Pushing Daisies so it's not even breaking genre, really. :colbert:

Ok this was a fun thing to learn about. I found a nice article explaining it; I especially liked this part

The Fullerverse posted:

Some characters have been reinterpreted over several series. In Fuller’s first show, Dead Like Me, protagonist Georgia “George” Lass (Ellen Muth) is a grim reaper whose job is to collect souls. She is seen again in Fuller’s latest series, Hannibal, as Georgia Madchen (a German word that translates to girl or lass). Georgia Madchen is portrayed by the same actress as George Lass but is an entirely new character. In Hannibal, Georgia is not a grim reaper but rather a woman suffering from Cotard’s Syndrome, a mental illness that causes a person to believe that they are actually dead although they are alive.

Now I have to watch all these shows I previously had no interest in.

I want to know how he's going to fit in Star Trek

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dead Like Me is a gosh-darn blast, I'd highly recommend it—assuming the consensus is that it holds up, as I haven't revisited it since airing. I never watched the movie, and by all accounts nobody should, but the show is just incredibly charming and has terrific characters. Pushing Daisies I never got into but that's mostly because I don't like Lee Pace's face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I started re-watching Hannibal. I haven't watched it since it aired on NBC. Can someone tell me if Lady Lounds get the ol' tied to a wheelchair, lit on fire, and pushed down the ramp of a parking garage treatment? I can't remember.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

Dead Like Me is a gosh-darn blast, I'd highly recommend it—assuming the consensus is that it holds up, as I haven't revisited it since airing. I never watched the movie, and by all accounts nobody should, but the show is just incredibly charming and has terrific characters. Pushing Daisies I never got into but that's mostly because I don't like Lee Pace's face.

I recently rewatched it and only made it past the first few episodes because i was sick and had nothing else i felt like watching. It only holds up if you are in the mood for a Seinfeld-type show where literally nothing changes and nobody grows. Seeing the exact same characters do the exact same thing every episode was painful. I know that "characters growing and changing as a larger plot unfolds" is more of a recent thing in TV, but gently caress that show could have used it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I started re-watching Hannibal. I haven't watched it since it aired on NBC. Can someone tell me if Lady Lounds get the ol' tied to a wheelchair, lit on fire, and pushed down the ramp of a parking garage treatment? I can't remember.

Nah, she makes it, and some elements of the wheelchair death are transferred to Chilton instead.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, she makes it, and some elements of the wheelchair death are transferred to Chilton instead.

Oh yeah I forgot about that person.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's fun, i remember liking Dead Like Me as a kid but i totally didnt make that connection at all with the cotard's syndrome character, didnt even recognize the actress for obvious reasons

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

feedmyleg posted:

pushing daises was one of my favorite shows. it's so unique, like a fairy tale book with murder. that and wonderfalls were ahead of their time, if they premiered on a streaming service i think they would have done spectacular.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I don't like Lee Pace's face.
These are fighting words
I hope you at least saw The Fall

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Midgetskydiver posted:

Knives Out was the most fun I've had at the theater in a long time.

Just finished watching this, and yes it was a very fun ride!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alone on Netflix was really enjoyable. Jordan is an absolute boss.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My gf started streaming The Silence of the Lambs cuz ive been binging Hannibal

Id never seen it, and have only childhood memories of the other films or Hopkins' performance. Just pop culture osmosis moments...
I always loved Hopkins in other films and knew he was a great actor overall (lord i need to see Titus again). But having said that...

This may be blasphemy to some, but im struck by how silly and stupid i find Hopkins' performance (and how much of the film is Clarise dealing with sexual harassment literally everywhere...realistic)
He sounds like a dracula cartoon......it's kinda...lame.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

Chappelle just dropped a new show on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4

Not really comedy just straight fire

drat that was the best 'stand up' ive seen in years

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My gf started streaming The Silence of the Lambs cuz ive been binging Hannibal

Id never seen it, and have only childhood memories of the other films or Hopkins' performance. Just pop culture osmosis moments...
I always loved Hopkins in other films and knew he was a great actor overall (lord i need to see Titus again). But having said that...

This may be blasphemy to some, but im struck by how silly and stupid i find Hopkins' performance (and how much of the film is Clarise dealing with sexual harassment literally everywhere...realistic)

If you want another comparison, watch Manhunter. Brian Cox is Hannibal and it’s a really good performance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the Artemis Fowl movie just dropped on Disney+. I think we might have a new entry on the "worst films ever made" list. It's so aggressively, hilariously bad that it feels like a prank on the fandom.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you want another comparison, watch Manhunter. Brian Cox is Hannibal and it’s a really good performance.

Manhunter is amazing. Red Dragon, despite telling the same story with a script truer to the book, is merely serviceable. You can even see shots in the latter cribbed from the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You know what you sound like? You sound like a rube.