Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You always hear about how the DMV is some kafkaesque dystopian nightmare where you are shuffled from line to line and form to form and place to place while you are denied and rebuffed based on some small technicality or the whims of the clerk.

I've never really understood this as a non american. What is so bad about the DMV? What makes it so horrible versus, say, a passport office? In my country you just go, find the form for whatever you need, and wait in line, takes maybe half an hour max usually. If you need to have your pic taken they do it right there. Could definitely be improved with a ticket queue system but what are you going to do?

They don't do driving tests in the same location as the licensing stuff, is that maybe the difference? Help me out with this one please.

edit: also since I couldn't decide to start a new thread about the DMV or Dave Chappelle, wow that new Dave Chappelle is some pretty powerful stuff huh really captivating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Childish people sometimes have to wait a little instead of having their asses kissed.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its usually fine if you make an appointment. Otherwise you kinda have to know which DMV office near you is less busy if you don't want to have to wait awhile.

My last visit was to sign up for the stupid REAL ID. Did some stuff on the computer, showed some proof to an employee. That was it. Except I never got sent a new ID. My visit was back in January...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The DMV today in 2020 sucks and is a hassle, and that's with a lot of the stuff doable online. Imagine what it was like before the internet.

The DMV always has two separate lines and the thing you need can only be fulfilled by one of them. There is a DMV employee whose entire job seems to be to direct you to the wrong line for what you need.

The DMV is a dystopian nightmare because a big chunk of it - vehicle registration renewals - are bullshit. A vehicle should be titled/registered once per owner when they either buy the vehicle or move into the state. Instead we've designed a byzantine sticker system where vehicles need to be registered annually so that police have an excuse to pull people over - disproportionately people who have trouble affording the annual registration fee.

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
The one near me has a woman that stands at the front and SCREAMS that you need to have your forms out and ready. That would be annoying regardless but she screams it with a regularity that has zero relationship to the frequency with which people come in. So if you're in line you'll hear it like fifty times. It's her only job though apparently.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Most Americans don't have passports. And they really didn't have them before 9/11. Before then you could go to Canada or Mexico without one, so almost nobody needed them. But almost everyone gets a drivers license, so going to the DMV is a lot more relatable.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

DMVs here added an estimated wait for each location about a decade ago. 2 hour wait at the one 5 minutes down the street? Then drive 15 into a more rural town where the wait is 10 minutes gg

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
if you're polite and understanding to the dmv employees, they give you better service
most people never find this out because most people are friggin jags

and I don't mean they're marginally more polite and receptive and you probably just think you're having a good day because you're choosing to look at it in a positive light,
I mean they understand how everything works there and will straight up give you the secret stonecutters version of dmv service
the last time I went, instead of giving me the number from the number dispenser, the lady lifted up her keyboard and gave me one from a secret stash of better numbers that she had hidden there

she didn't even give me a wink or anything, it was very discreet. the kind of thing you can't get in trouble for even if you get caught. a lot of wage slaves do this kind of thing. the "making the world a slightly more tolerable place" discount
(if you don't believe me or this pisses you off, it's probably because you're an rear end in a top hat. sorry you had to find out this way, but die mad)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
My DMV in a Red State requires 7 or 8 different pieces of documentation for an ID and put my name in wrong once and tried to blame me for it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

also I have AAA and renewing your license at a AAA office takes all of ten minutes. i havnt been in a dmv in like 15 years

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
we dont have a dmv in my state. you do all your car business through the secretary of state offices (basically state govt places usually set up in strip malls). the wait isnt that long and you can do most stuff online anyways.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the dmv here used to be atrocious with wait times of an hour++ but the last couple times I went they updated their ticketing system and cut wait times to like <20 mins it was fine.

Also what hell-state are you in that you have to go to the dmv to renew your drat plate sticker? We can do ours online or in grocery stores even lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well long story short the DMV hosed me

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Well long story short the DMV hosed me

You seem to be getting hosed by a lot of things lately. I can't tell if you consider it to be a positive or negative

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh sure let's all have a big pity party for booger baby just constantly gettin hosed over there wow that must be real tough!!
"Please guys every thing from the world on down wants to hump me dry it's terrible" -- lil swamp while getting his dick and balls wet 24/7 from what he CLAIMS are tears but actually aren't.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that's rude actually if he really is getting a bad deal in life that's unfortunate and I feel bad about it

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Every time I've been to a DMV in CA or OR it has been Pretty Fine.

Even getting my car registered + getting a license in each of those states took maybe an hour tops*? Oregon was piss easy. Except you have to go to this weird state-run thing to get a smog check.

*TBF it was like the week before christmas both times and nobody's worrying about the DMV around then

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Oh sure let's all have a big pity party for booger baby just constantly gettin hosed over there wow that must be real tough!!
"Please guys every thing from the world on down wants to hump me dry it's terrible" -- lil swamp while getting his dick and balls wet 24/7 from what he CLAIMS are tears but actually aren't.

Big Beef City posted:

that's rude actually if he really is getting a bad deal in life that's unfortunate and I feel bad about it

you ok friend?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

the passport office is also bad but most Americans don't need a passport as we never want to leave the greatest country in the world, but everyone has to go to the DMV because you need a driver's license

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Big Beef City posted:

They are out to get me. Everything you see is trying to gently caress me just last week my car flashed its headlights at me and there was no one in it. I'm safe nowhere.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They are out to get me. Everything you see is trying to gently caress me just last week my car flashed its headlights at me and there was no one in it. I'm safe nowhere.

drat dog its a cold world out there stay strong bro

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want drive your vehicle now. I need a license for what?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
If you're an over-entitled pissbaby who has never dealt any real problems in life, then being told to stand in line and quietly wait your turn can seem overwhelming.

Boomers hate it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cubone posted:

if you're polite and understanding to the dmv employees, they give you better service
most people never find this out because most people are friggin jags

and I don't mean they're marginally more polite and receptive and you probably just think you're having a good day because you're choosing to look at it in a positive light,
I mean they understand how everything works there and will straight up give you the secret stonecutters version of dmv service
the last time I went, instead of giving me the number from the number dispenser, the lady lifted up her keyboard and gave me one from a secret stash of better numbers that she had hidden there

she didn't even give me a wink or anything, it was very discreet. the kind of thing you can't get in trouble for even if you get caught. a lot of wage slaves do this kind of thing. the "making the world a slightly more tolerable place" discount
(if you don't believe me or this pisses you off, it's probably because you're an rear end in a top hat. sorry you had to find out this way, but die mad)

Yeah but regardless of any of that, regardless of if you have multiple college degrees, a super high iq, are a complete social butterfly who approaches everyone with compassion and good will, you will make a minimum of 2 mistakes and have to wait in a minimum of 3 lines, only for someone to hand you a form you have to mail in anyways. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems at the dmv, and they keep that place full and those chairs filled by playing people for the fool. They don’t want it to be easy, they want to break your soul to make you a docile and complacent driver, they want to humble you in the presence of the Formlord, who derives his power from anguish and boredom. Every time someone rolls their eyes or cracks their knuckles the Formlord gets a rush of energy, it’s the only thing that makes him feel. He loses power when people smile, and the facade breaks down into a simplistic and efficient series of button pushes and pen strokes, and the dmv becomes an empty and lonely place again, people in and out in 5-10 minutes with time to eat lunch and have a cigar. And when the Formlord loses power, he can’t actively seek out and recruit the people with the lowest functioning iqs he can find, he has to settle for people who can make rational and logical decisions, and this undermines the integrity of the bureaucracy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Can I bring a gift for the Formlord to soothe its rage

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Who goes to a DMV still? My car registration is all done either by online or at the emissions shop.

I think our drivers licenses are renewed online too.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
This encouraged me to go actually get.my tags updated but apparently uh, being 8 months overdue means I now have to go to the DMV. THANKS THREAD.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Dear Watson posted:

Who goes to a DMV still? My car registration is all done either by online or at the emissions shop.

REAL ID

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I drive across town to go to the "good" dmv, early in the morning, on a tuesday, thus I see nothing wrong with dmvs

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

I'm a masochist, so every dumb and useless thing that the DMV does just makes me rock hard.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Yeah I did that a long time ago. Utah says I can renew online as long as I’ve done that

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
You can literally be waiting on a line for HOURS and you need multiple documents for an ID, to only find out once you reach the window that for some reason 1 document does not qualify, even though you have used it in the past.

gently caress the DMV.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

The DMV today in 2020 sucks and is a hassle, and that's with a lot of the stuff doable online. Imagine what it was like before the internet.

The DMV always has two separate lines and the thing you need can only be fulfilled by one of them. There is a DMV employee whose entire job seems to be to direct you to the wrong line for what you need.

The DMV is a dystopian nightmare because a big chunk of it - vehicle registration renewals - are bullshit. A vehicle should be titled/registered once per owner when they either buy the vehicle or move into the state. Instead we've designed a byzantine sticker system where vehicles need to be registered annually so that police have an excuse to pull people over - disproportionately people who have trouble affording the annual registration fee.

Yeah I feel bad for DMV people. The only people in my state coming in are the ones with problems that can't be solved online or people who can't use the internet. Many of them are extremely angry/senile. The registration system is absolutely bullshit.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Dear Watson posted:

Yeah I did that a long time ago. Utah says I can renew online as long as I’ve done that

I'm jealous. I probably have to go back in and do the exact same thing I did in January

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dear Watson posted:

I live in a state where car registrations can be renewed online every year, emissions are tested every 2 years (and you can't renew the car registration until it's tested), and then licenses are done in person, but every four years.

I last renewed my license in 2017 and was surprised that I had to take a written test. It was basically just the shapes all of the obscure road signs you never see without colors or text/pictures. I was so sure while taking it that I was going to fail and have to enroll in some dumbass state run class, but then I turned it in and the lady glanced at it and said I passed.

Frankly, the whole thing felt like a prank.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can I bring a gift for the Formlord to soothe its rage

The Formlord will only PUNISH you for being more ORGANIZED simple man!!! :redass:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gleebster posted:

Childish people sometimes have to wait a little instead of having their asses kissed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My dmv is highly automated and has like 15 video screens showing your wait time (~20)

But the vision test thing fucknthat. Dirty as gently caress I failed, went to an eye dr. Had a test and he handed me a note. Covid aside, don’t take a test at the dmv lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Just get a passport. They're already Real ID compliant, and they weigh about an ounce so you have to be a colossal wiener to complain about having to carry one to the airport. Also, you can do the process at your local library to avoid lines at the post office, and you get the fringe benefit of being able to leave the country whenever you want to.

I had to renew my license two years ago, and I was extremely grateful to be able to tell them I wanted a regular license since everyone else in the building was trying in vain for three times as long to appease the Formlord for Real ID compliant licenses.