Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t watch the “remastered” Simpsons eps, they literally are just upscaled cropped bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have the first 11 seasons of the Simpsons on DVD, so I'm pretty much set. Eat me, Disney+.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that Disney+ has Simpsons in 4:3 the main issue is the subtitles thinking the Itchy and Scratchy theme says “fight and fight” instead of “fight and bite”

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So the D+ 4:3 episodes are just the same ones that FX used to have online? Thought they would be, congrats Disney marketing for spinning a poo poo ton of publicity out of nothing.

I’ll stick with my internet dork upscaled and treated DVD encodes.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well, I would say the biggest reason is that they haven't remastered the Simpsons.

Well that’s kind of my question. It seems like for something as popular as the Simpsons, if it was possible to do, it would have been done already.

So is it a matter of Disney/Fox just being too cheap to do it? Or is it not possible like all the sitcoms in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s that were shot on video?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they are the same ones FX had.

The issue with them being available was a technical one in the platform, not anything to do with the episodes themselves.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/21273425/simpsons-disney-plus-aspect-ratio-tech-platform-content-package-169-43

They had to revamp the app to be able to deliver both versions as a single package as presented in the app. When they built the app, they built it under the assumption that there would only be one version of a TV episode.

Why does that matter? The other features in the app. If the 4:3 episodes were simply presented as extra episodes, then "Continue Watching" would function as expected since each episode would be presented twice (once in 16:9 and once in 4:3). If the 4:3 episodes were simply presented as bonus content, then "Continue Watching" wouldn't even function at all.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well that’s kind of my question. It seems like for something as popular as the Simpsons, if it was possible to do, it would have been done already.

So is it a matter of Disney/Fox just being too cheap to do it? Or is it not possible like all the sitcoms in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s that were shot on video?

I don't know if the cells were captured on film or video. If they were captured on film, then they could theoretically do what Batman:TAS did. If they were captured on video, then that would be a massive undertaking and won't likely happen.

I'm going to guess that regardless, it's just a massive project and there's little financial incentive to do it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 12, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love the fact it literally could’ve been fixed by just labeling one as a different show called “The Simpson’s (Widescreen)” and detaching it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love the fact it literally could’ve been fixed by just labeling one as a different show called “The Simpson’s (Widescreen)” and detaching it.

It's a little more complicated than that. The Simpsons switched to HD midway through season 20 with Episode 10 "Take my life, please". So, doing it this way would mean season 20 would be split between two different titles.

There are other things too. There are collections in the Simpsons section and splitting the titles would mean they would have to dup each of the collections (one mixing the SD widescreen and one with the 4:3).

I mean, I think they should have just not done the cropped widescreen ones at all since they are an abomination. But I've been fighting that losing battle for 15 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon has announced they're doing a live action adaptation of the manga/anime series The Promised Neverland. Which is definitely a choice because while the series is good it doesn't seem like it would work live action. It would end up very effects heavy and also the three main characters all start the series at 10 years old with large parts of the cast being younger.

Of all the recent-release anime you could choose to adapt, why the gently caress would you try for the one about demons farming children for food in a live-action format? :stonklol:

I'm betting they're looking to score their own Westworld-style show with it, simply because it's Park-like with the House, Mom and the tracking tags.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. The Simpsons switched to HD midway through season 20 with Episode 10 "Take my life, please". So, doing it this way would mean season 20 would be split between two different titles.

There are other things too. There are collections in the Simpsons section and splitting the titles would mean they would have to dup each of the collections (one mixing the SD widescreen and one with the 4:3).

I mean, I think they should have just not done the cropped widescreen ones at all since they are an abomination. But I've been fighting that losing battle for 15 years.

I feel like post Season 20 Simpsons getting hosed with is an acceptable loss.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like post Season 10 Simpsons is an acceptable loss.

FTFY

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

Now that Disney+ has Simpsons in 4:3 the main issue is the subtitles thinking the Itchy and Scratchy theme says “fight and fight” instead of “fight and bite”

:moleman: I was saying "fight and fight"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

One of my earliest recollections of captions being fallible was when Lisa said Powder Blue but the captions said Royal Blue. Or maybe the other way around.

That was the crayon in the brain episode

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In some shows its really interesting because they will be talking about what is supposed to be the TV version of a real life counter part but maybe haven't settled on a name in early script, you will see the real life name pop up in captions. Same thing for countries or cities.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm watching through Babylon 5 for the first time and the Amazon Prime subtitles on it are off all the time in the strangest ways. It's like they got a copy of the original script draft before phrasing changes. It's such petty stuff, too, just randomly rephrasing things to mean the same thing, in the same amount of words.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Escobarbarian posted:

What's with this content sanitizing bullshit over on Disney+? It's a soundbite in a TV show that had reruns like crazy, watched by kids over multiple generations now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheAardvark posted:

I'm watching through Babylon 5 for the first time and the Amazon Prime subtitles on it are off all the time in the strangest ways. It's like they got a copy of the original script draft before phrasing changes. It's such petty stuff, too, just randomly rephrasing things to mean the same thing, in the same amount of words.

I believe Amazon uses the AWS machine learning software to generate subtitles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's with this content sanitizing bullshit over on Disney+? It's a soundbite in a TV show that had reruns like crazy, watched by kids over multiple generations now.

It's not a Disney+ thing, closed captions are often just not right. It's been "fight and fight" on FXX reruns forever.

Even Frinkiac gets it wrong.

https://frinkiac.com/caption/S02E09/126406

It was also referenced in a interview with Groening in 2014.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Timby posted:

I believe Amazon uses the AWS machine learning software to generate subtitles.

but it doesn't make any sense! It's not sound a-likes, it's completely rephrasing things. I'll note down some specific examples next time I'm watching.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is it possible that a subtitles track intended mainly for the hearing-imparied would deviate from the original script for clarity's sake or to emphasize emotion or other verbal cues that are present in the audio tracks? That makes the most sense to me, that the subtitles wanted to push meaning more than accuracy for those who aren't able to hear the audio track.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eh there's still some highlights in 11 and 12. The show's worst stretch starts around 14.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Is it possible that a subtitles track intended mainly for the hearing-imparied would deviate from the original script for clarity's sake or to emphasize emotion or other verbal cues that are present in the audio tracks? That makes the most sense to me, that the subtitles wanted to push meaning more than accuracy for those who aren't able to hear the audio track.

Unlikely as virtually no consideration at all is given to closed captioning usually. It's actually a common criticism of closed captioning that they are incomplete and fail to actually convey the proper emotion of a scene.

More than likely some intern fed some script draft into a computer that's been trained with the various actor voices for recognition and this is what program spit out. Most of the closed captioning out there is partially or fully automated with next to no proofreading or other quality assurance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Unlikely as virtually no consideration at all is given to closed captioning usually. It's actually a common criticism of closed captioning that they are incomplete and fail to actually convey the proper emotion of a scene.

More than likely some intern fed some script draft into a computer that's been trained with the various actor voices for recognition and this is what program spit out. Most of the closed captioning out there is partially or fully automated with next to no proofreading or other quality assurance.

It’s often outsourced to random contractor services, a ton of goons in the BFC online work thread were doing transcribing for TV shows. I haven’t looked in a while but I’m sure it’s the same way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The thing that catches me most off guard with subtitles is how quickly they excise swear words, even if they can fit in the box. A nice development I’ve seen in the past couple years is song lyrics being transcribed and good descriptive words for instrumentals, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Subtitling song lyrics is unfortunately a complicated thing because copyright nonsense can be involved with the lyrics outside of playing the song.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

Well, I would say the biggest reason is that they haven't remastered the Simpsons.

Also Batman TAS was animated by pricey Japanese studios like Sunrise and TMS Entertainment that had spent decades perfecting their workflow and becoming masters of their craft while The Simpsons was Klasky Csupo trying to invent an animation pipeline while having to answer to people who had never worked in animation before. Even if Simpsons got a perfect high quality restoration you'd never have anything close to, say, Mr Freeze's helmet having ice painstakingly airbrushed on it in every frame of animation.

feedmyleg posted:

I know foreign films do that a lot as part of localization, like in Parasite the subtitles use WhatsApp instead of Kakao Talk and call the instant noodle dish ram-don instead of jjapaguri because a mashup up of "ramen" and "udon" gets the point of a mixed noodle dish across to audiences that don't have a deep familiarity with regional Korean cuisine.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I "enjoy" the fact that there are DVDs of Chinese kung fu movies where if you turn on subtitles over the dub, you get two wildly different experiences at once.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Rarely you will see this, most often in shows from PBS by my recollection, but sometimes also when there's a dual selection between transcribed dialogue captions and captions for the deaf/hearing-impaired that will do what you said. It really should be more common, but as noted most captioning is done by basic machine transcription these days.

theflyingexecutive posted:

The thing that catches me most off guard with subtitles is how quickly they excise swear words, even if they can fit in the box.

Occasionally you get the opposite of this while watching TV edits, always cracks me up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Video games have a distinction sometimes between subtitles for dialogue and subtitles for all sound and it would be cool if tv and film had that option too, I don't need subtitles to tell me that an explosion sounds like an explosion or a gun shooting sounds like a gunshot especially when it's getting in the way of the actual dialogue and/or removing the surprise and dramatic impact by spoiling actions moments before they actually occur.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

As long as there aren't
code:
**foreign language being spoken***
subtitles on top of actual translation subtitles, I'm happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As long as there aren't
code:

I'm really annoyed because there's one scene in The Love Parade where someone goes on a rant in rapid French and every transcription I've found just says *rapid French*. Understanding it isn't necessary for the joke, it's frustrating because I know enough French to catch a bit but not enough to parse something that rapid.

Also annoying because the songs/dances from that movie are on Youtube but I haven't been able to find that scene to step through piece by piece.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As long as there aren't
code:

HBO is the worst about that. Netflix seems to be able to tell when there's text on screen and moves the subtitles to the opposite side of the screen, I don't know why HBO can't figure that out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like F is for family and i dont care who knows it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Opposite of subtitles, we need descriptive audio to become a standard and also be easily available separate from video because a good chunk of the podcast industry is just random goobers reading the Wikipedia article about an episode of a TV show or a film with a few clips interspersed and the office workers and commuters of America would probably be better served just listening to the actual program with descriptive audio instead of the methadone of tertiary retellings punctuated by mattress commercials and Patreon shills.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a few episodes of Daredevil with the descriptive audio for the blind and it was really interesting. The narrator was really into it especially in the action scenes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a few episodes of Daredevil with the descriptive audio for the blind and it was really interesting. The narrator was really into it especially in the action scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4 was a classic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It's great because originally it didn't have that feature and people going "hey Netflix you don't get to toot your horn about having a show with a blind protagonist if you aren't also making the absolute bare minimum effort to make it accessible to actual blind people" turned out to be an incredibly effective motivator.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon has announced they're doing a live action adaptation of the manga/anime series The Promised Neverland. Which is definitely a choice because while the series is good it doesn't seem like it would work live action. It would end up very effects heavy and also the three main characters all start the series at 10 years old with large parts of the cast being younger.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of all the recent-release anime you could choose to adapt, why the gently caress would you try for the one about demons farming children for food in a live-action format? :stonklol:

I'm betting they're looking to score their own Westworld-style show with it, simply because it's Park-like with the House, Mom and the tracking tags.

I can...actually see it working out fine, but they'll need to age some of the kids up a bit to early teens. As fo the subject material, eh one of the biggest franchises from a few years ago was about kids participating in a blood sport hunting battle royale. Not to mention the director and writer for this both worked on Spiderverse as writers so I'm...actually a good bit optimistic.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

Video games have a distinction sometimes between subtitles for dialogue and subtitles for all sound and it would be cool if tv and film had that option too, I don't need subtitles to tell me that an explosion sounds like an explosion or a gun shooting sounds like a gunshot especially when it's getting in the way of the actual dialogue and/or removing the surprise and dramatic impact by spoiling actions moments before they actually occur.

Some do. You’ll see this called out as “English” vs “English SDH” (Subtitles for the Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing). Although a lot of times you frustratingly only get “English SDH, Français, Español”.

Subtitles are the best. Always enable subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too many things like Netflix only have English SDH. NORMALISE JUST ENGLISH DIALOGUE SUBS