Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Deadly Hume posted:

I dunno about you but I feel slightly less down about Hawthorn's capitulation last night considering what's happened tonight.

WTF Eagles?

I feel similarly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Testekill posted:

Suns good or Eagles bad? I know that Crows bad.

I'm going to go with Suns recovered from Ablett Jnr and WCE out of sorts. Crows have no excuse though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ewe2 posted:

I'm going to go with Suns recovered from Ablett Jnr and WCE out of sorts. Crows have no excuse though.

Suns reaping the benefits of two seasons of AFL HQ sanctioned hard core tanking and daily lobbying for priority picks

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Essendon star Joe Daniher has called on the AFL to hold itself and its sponsors to a "higher standard" amid criticism of the league's partnerships with Rio Tinto and BHP after the destruction of ancient Indigenous heritage sites.

As players around the competition join in pre-match gestures in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, the AFL has been accused of not walking the talk on racism by associating with the mining giants, who have been at the centre of a national outcry this week.

Rio Tinto knowingly destroyed two 46,000-year-old caves in Western Australia's Pilbara region last month. BHP this week halted plans to blow up at least 40 Indigenous heritage sites after The Guardian revealed the company was fully aware of their significance and that the traditional owners of the land were opposed to the move.

The AFL has a long-standing partnership with Rio Tinto, which underwrites a variety of Indigenous football programs - including the Flying Boomerangs, whose players inspired Adam Goodes to perform a 'war cry' during a match against Carlton in 2015. BHP, meanwhile, signed an estimated $5 million deal with the AFL this year to sponsor the AFLW.

Daniher said all major organisations, including the AFL, had a role to play in shaping the future and responding to some of the "delicate issues" that have arisen around the world in recent weeks.

"We need to hold the industry that I'm in, the AFL, accountable to the change we want to see and the partners they choose to partner with to a higher standard," he told the Herald.

"And the people within those organisations need to be held to a higher standard to make meaningful change. We're quite good as an industry at using our voice for positive change ... [but] if we're going to see long-lasting, systemic change, there needs to be a higher standard that we as an industry hold ourselves accountable to."

Daniher said relying solely on Indigenous people to highlight instances of discrimination was no longer good enough.

"We need non-Indigenous Australians standing up and speaking about what change needs to happen, and aligning with Indigenous Australians about what that looks like and how that shapes up," he said.

Former Big Bash League cricketer, deputy CEO of AIME Mentoring and human rights activist Ben Abbatangelo wrote an open letter to AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan earlier this week - which he posted on Instagram, and was 'liked' by Goodes - calling on the league to immediately sever ties with the mining company.

In the AFL's apology to Goodes last year, McLachlan said the competition had "pledged to continue to fight all forms of racism and discrimination, on and off the field."

Abbatangelo said the AFL's stance against racism was "merely performative if they and their partners do not listen to and respect Indigenous people".

"If you do care and you mean what you say, you've got to start acting," he told the Herald.

"You can't say you're going to fight all forms of racism and discrimination and then partner with BHP and Rio Tinto. [The AFL] haven't been very good at uprooting systemic racism. In fact they've perpetuated it with partnerships that don't align with their stance on racism.

Footy takes the knee, and takes to the streets

"Players can take a knee - it's symbolically nice but Aboriginal people are still living in poverty, still not recognised constitutionally, still don't have any autonomy or self-determination to design our realities and our futures.

"This sense of hopelessness stems from the ongoing environmental racism and displacement from traditional lands. Now is the time for the institutions to meet their words with actions."

A spokesperson for the AFL said the league had spoken to Rio Tinto and "expressed our distress" over the damage caused by their actions in the Pilbara, but said both the sponsorship and the connected Indigenous programs would continue.

"Rio has apologised for the distress they have caused and they know how much work they need to do with traditional owners to listen and learn while undertaking a review of their practices and processes and will fully co-operate with a parliamentary review into these matters," the spokesperson said.

On the player-led protests across the AFL in support of Black Lives Matter, the spokesperson said: "The players and clubs, along with the AFL, are in no doubt about how critical these issues are. The players' voices and their leadership are heard and embraced across the code and we fully support them, agree with them and stand with them in the fight against racism."

Seems like a decent guy

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gay picnic defence posted:

Seems like a decent guy

:agreed:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Not reading much into the Eagles loss tonight, most teams lose to the Suns in the first 3-4 rounds of the year

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

My highlights for the evening are Rory Sloane calling Matthew Nicholls a gutless gently caress, and Reilly O'Brien calling him a stupid oval office, finely captured on the effects mic

I hope there's video of this online somewhere because I'm sure as hell not watching the replay of the match.

I did get to see part of the first half when we were winning instead of losing by 14 goals though!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah OK I'm on the Lions/Freo bandwagons for the rest of the season, but also probably not watching any matches

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

what the gently caress is that poo poo on Shiel's head?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

what the gently caress is that poo poo on Shiel's head?

Isn’t it a bit late for a top knot as a footballer? It’s mullets and mo’s now

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I guess it can't be just the home crowd that causes the umps to be poo poo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah that’s a shame

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/anndeejam/status/1272083730996195328?s=19

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What a tosser

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saints!!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Footy is good :)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm glad footy is back, feels like poo poo is getting back to normal. Winning vs the Swans and the umpires was good too.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Me best 22, obviously just my own interpretation. I'll defend Shuey as he was on a losing team, and if said team had bothered to loving show up then he'd easily be BOG. The forward line was non existent and Jack Darling can't mark a ball.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 15, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad Charlie Cameron still rules.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Best Cameron in the league :colbert:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I actually don't know off the top of my head what other Camerons there are.

But, yes.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Jeremy Cameron looking disappointed.jpg

Angry Leon Cameron.jpg

Dumb idiot Darcy Cameron.jpg

Who the gently caress is Jarrod Cameron.jpg

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Now Cameron Ellis-Yolmen on the other hand, that guy is pretty cool.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Guthrie, McCarthy, Zurhaar, Sutcliffe, Taheny and Polson should count too :colbert:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Agreed, add them to the list of Not As Good As Charlie Cameron Camerons.

Edit: Also, Cam Polson has to be a fake name.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cam Polson is just a terrible Alias for Zac Efron

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK now I have some kind of list, Charlie's still the best.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Watching the replay of last night's game (yay Saints!) I can confidently say that I can do without SkyCam - or whatever the gently caress they're calling it these days.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Chairchucker posted:

I didn’t enjoy him running amok in the first half against us, but you can’t not love his celebrations

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

lol https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...6CcvpWA0HZO0rGU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ahhh the old "Good Job Angus".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Tom Browne’s brain lies a-moldering in the grave
But his posts go marching on

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
“Why can’t we all be equal?” Wonders the bigfooty poster discussing Burgoyne only getting a fine “at this time in history.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is this better than rompingwins?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hawks have shown up today

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Boy oh boy wowee keep going hawks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
They're not bad when they actually turn up.

Is Richmond just a bit garbage without Dusty holding it all together?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Vintage Jack Riewoldt elbowing players in the gut

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We are so much better with Jaeger playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tigers only know how to score 30-something points now in a game apparently