Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

American Beauty might be the worst best picture winner.

It's way worse than Forrest Gump

Crash is by far the worst but American Beauty and Shakespeare in Love are surely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Crash is by far the worst but American Beauty and Shakespeare in Love are surely up there.

Holy poo poo, I always forget about Crash

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Maus owns.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The important thing to remember about Art Spiegelman doing Maus is that it was something he did in his spare time, as his day job was working at Topps on the Garbage Pail Kids.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

The important thing to remember about Art Spiegelman doing Maus is that it was something he did in his spare time, as his day job was working at Topps on the Garbage Pail Kids.

That's awesome, I had no idea!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

The text isn't really important here (it's just a tepid burn on anti-vaxxers), but what the gently caress is going on with the left person's mouth?

I was thrown off because I didn't know what 'Impfen' meant, thought perhaps it was imps, and I honestly don't believe in them either, but it's vaccination. It's an anti-anti-vaxxx comic.

lmao my thoughts exactly

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

vyelkin posted:

How Green Was My Valley has to be there too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Byzantine posted:

I only remember that one because it apparently beat out Apocalypse Now. Also because of Australian political satire radio show How Green Was My Cactus.

The Oscars in general are just vulnerable to movies that relentlessly suck off bougie boomers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only remember that one because it apparently beat out Apocalypse Now. Also because of Australian political satire radio show How Green Was My Cactus.

The Oscars in general are just vulnerable to movies that relentlessly suck off bougie boomers.

The 90s and 00s especially had quite of lot of those best picture winners where 20 years later other nominations are way more highly regarded.

Crash is easily the worst winner of all time though, the 2000s were peak "omg racism is so bad aren't we progressive for admitting it?' for the Academy.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I think the “WHITE PEOPLE EHEHEHEHEHEH BLACK PEOPLE DODODODODOO” flash animation did a better job addressing racism than Crash

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apocalypse Now was made in the 1940s?

Anyway, here's something that made me chuckle:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Mixing up How Green Was My Valley with Kramer vs Kramer is a common mistake.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I always mix up Crash with David Cronenberg's Crash, which would have made for a better Best Picture.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Byzantine posted:

My understanding is it's not really a bad movie, it just beat Citizen Kane and Maltese Falcon which are both undisputed masterpieces. Crash is legit bad. I haven't seen it in two decades, but I remember Shakespeare in Love being like fine, cute even, if a little unremarkable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is it's not really a bad movie, it just beat Citizen Kane and Maltese Falcon which are both undisputed masterpieces. Crash is legit bad. I haven't seen it in two decades, but I remember Shakespeare in Love being like fine, cute even, if a little unremarkable.

Shakespeare in Love is a mediocre romcom that beat Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line for best picture because of Harvey Weinstein.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I keep having to remind myself that someone made a movie called Crash that doesn't involve car-crash sex

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I saws How Green Was My Valley in NYC years ago when I was there for an internship. It was like, a theater-in-the-park kind of thing.

it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Phlegmish posted:

I was thrown off because I didn't know what 'Impfen' meant, thought perhaps it was imps, and I honestly don't believe in them either, but it's vaccination. It's an anti-anti-vaxxx comic.

What is impfen in Dutch? Probably something like 'vakzineeren' I guess :v:

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

What is impfen in Dutch? Probably something like 'vakzineeren' I guess :v:

Vaccineren/ vaccinatie, or inenten/inenting

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah you were actually pretty close

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Randaconda posted:

American Beauty might be the worst best picture winner.

It's way worse than Forrest Gump

Crash and The Green Book would have words with you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Crash and The Green Book would have words with you.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows about the "ending song" for Green Book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows about the "ending song" for Green Book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

Demi is absolutely a pro twitter follow and his more and more elaborate September tweets are a godsend in these times.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Such Fun posted:

Vaccineren/ vaccinatie, or inenten/inenting

My dumb random guess turns out to be almost right, hell yeah :moonrio:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my heart to demi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What like demi.fi?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HavingChips4Tea/status/1271597993972633600?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought the crab was going to go on a training montage and kick sand in the bully's face at the end. It had a more melancholic denouement, I was deeply moved.

8.5/10

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

whore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Virgin crab vs Chad groom

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I feel sad. Sad for that crab.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*in straight jacket, being carried away by officer o'malley*

HE'S A CRAB. HE WAS JUST PINCHING WHATEVER HE COULD SEE!!! YOU'RE ASCRIBING A MOTIVIation to him that doesn't exisssstttt

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Still more internally consistent and historically accurate than the Louis XVI comic

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

what's with the fatty on the left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Definitely has that rosy complexion of the perfect white woman