Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Capt. Morgan posted:

Same things been happening to me since the last windows update. It only affects my mobo's Killer e2200 ethrenet, my wireless addon card has not been affected.

If you open device manager and right click to disable and then right click to enable it should work again. That way at least you don't need to restart your computer.

I've had this issue with my Surface 3 since forever, I think, so I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue or something rather than Windows updates. I usually just restart because it's typically faster and easier than trying to navigate the old control panel with either the touchpad or touchscreen rather than a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The format and partition chat put a thought in my head - NTFS is pretty old, and I don't think it was made with SSDs in mind? Is there any particular reason installing Win10 via MCT on a NVMe defaults to NTFS instead of ReFS? At least it did the last time I reformatted (last summer with 1903).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ofecks posted:

The format and partition chat put a thought in my head - NTFS is pretty old, and I don't think it was made with SSDs in mind? Is there any particular reason installing Win10 via MCT on a NVMe defaults to NTFS instead of ReFS? At least it did the last time I reformatted (last summer with 1903).

From the looks of it, ReFS does not appear to be ready for prime-time. It is missing some NTFS equivalent features and Windows cannot boot off a ReFS volume.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

From the looks of it, ReFS does not appear to be ready for prime-time. It is missing some NTFS equivalent features and Windows cannot boot off a ReFS volume.

I think ReFS is primarly for Windows server's storages spaces. I've used it a little and found it deals with busted rear end disks a bit better than NTFS for whatever reason.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I just don't think there's a lot of people out there that's willing to trade the time-tested reliability of NTFS for something new without some serious incentives. It's the same on the Linux side with EXT4 and at least there they've got some real neat stuff in the alternatives.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ofecks posted:

You'd know if you needed ReFS. It's mostly only for very specific situations. It's not a wholesale NTFS replacement. Also, how can it be old? It's New Technology, after all..

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
This conversation brings me back to changes made to NTFS when Windows 2000 released. If you didn’t have at least service pack 5 on Windows NT 4, it would throw an error if you tried to read a partition formatted by win2k. As someone who dual booted both at the time, and reinstalled a lot it was a pain in the rear end to remember.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

namlosh posted:

This conversation brings me back to changes made to NTFS when Windows 2000 released. If you didn’t have at least service pack 5 on Windows NT 4, it would throw an error if you tried to read a partition formatted by win2k. As someone who dual booted both at the time, and reinstalled a lot it was a pain in the rear end to remember.

This is also another reason to avoid ReFS (unless you know you have a very specific use for it)... once an ReFS volume is attached with read/write access to a newer system, it automatically, silently, and irreversibly gets upgraded to the newest ReFS version, which is no longer usable on an older system. Mhmmm... so good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was prepping a laptop from a former employee to be used as a spare and found that the WindowsApps folder was stuffed with garbage from apps that were no longer installed. I checked logged in as both admin and as the former user (the only other person who ever used the laptop) and the apps were long gone. So for example there were about thirty folders from some Disney app that he must've put on there at some point. Everything is owned by TrustedInstaller and I've had to go through some flaming hoops to get permissions to delete the obvious crapola.

There has to be a better way to manage this. Almost 30 gigs of space being eaten up by uninstalled apps.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I was prepping a laptop from a former employee to be used as a spare and found that the WindowsApps folder was stuffed with garbage from apps that were no longer installed. I checked logged in as both admin and as the former user (the only other person who ever used the laptop) and the apps were long gone. So for example there were about thirty folders from some Disney app that he must've put on there at some point. Everything is owned by TrustedInstaller and I've had to go through some flaming hoops to get permissions to delete the obvious crapola.

There has to be a better way to manage this. Almost 30 gigs of space being eaten up by uninstalled apps.

If you boot into a Linux live session, those don't give a poo poo about NTFS permissions and will happily delete anything Windows 100% promises for realsies is absolutely impossible to delete.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This might do it: https://www.sordum.org/9416/powerrun-v1-4-run-with-highest-privileges/

quote:

PowerRun is a portable freeware to launch regedit.exe , Cmd.exe or other software with the same privileges as the TrustedInstaller / Nt Authority/system Why would you need it? Sometimes it is just not enough to just be running as Administrator, Maybe it’s a file or a registry key that is locked or not editable, PowerRun a tool with this powerful privilege most likely solve that , PowerRun doesn’t require any installation process or additional dll files.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Isn't it easier to just format + reinstall everything? Ideally from a pre-prepared image?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
That's... not at all the point being made.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm able to adjust permissions to clear out the unwanted stuff but I was hoping there was either a way to prevent this from happening, or an easier way to towel off the evil.

EDIT: Also I'm at a fairly small place and don't use imaging because it's not worth the effort to create and maintain.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hey thats farkin sweet. Thank you man.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm able to adjust permissions to clear out the unwanted stuff but I was hoping there was either a way to prevent this from happening, or an easier way to towel off the evil.

EDIT: Also I'm at a fairly small place and don't use imaging because it's not worth the effort to create and maintain.

Would using Remove-AppxPackage with the -AllUsers flag or Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage help with those?

e: Does it show up in Disk Cleanup (or its admin mode)?

astral fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 10, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

astral posted:

Would using Remove-AppxPackage with the -AllUsers flag or Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage help with those?

Yes check with the Appx PowerShell module before you attempt removing the things manually and overriding permissions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

astral posted:

I did not show up in Disk Cleanup.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you're cleaning up a PC for a new user, just jump straight to the Reset this PC option, which I think should clear out everything in program files including leftover junk.

Appx files getting left behind despite an uninstall was a known problem for a while. I remember when MS put out gears of war for the PC ,and when people uninstalled it it they didn't get any HD space back and were angry about this 100gb space that was just lost. The official MS answer for that was to manually take ownership & delete the folder, so I doubt the appx powershell commands would help.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Going back to a previous discussion for a minute:

Ofecks posted:

The format and partition chat put a thought in my head - NTFS is pretty old, and I don't think it was made with SSDs in mind?

SSDs were designed for the standard filesystem paradigms, not the other way around. Your SSD has a filesystem that's optimized for flash storage. On the inside where you can't see it. SSDs are tiny computers dedicated to storage.

I think that new filesystems like ReFS and BtrFS might be made with SSDs in mind, but that doesn't mean they're faster on SSDs than NTFS or Ext4. ReFS is generally slower than NTFS. What they're doing instead implementing features that increase reliability or do stuff like automatic snapshoting, but have performance penalties that would be unacceptable on HDDs due to the random-seek problem.

And then over in linux-land there's F2FS -- Flash-Friendly File-System, originally made by Samsung for phones. But even that is not a performance slam-dunk over Ext4. (Most of the "friendly" part is about avoiding unneeded erases, which is good for longevity and keeps write performance high, but also has space overhead and degrades in performance over time.) Here's a benchmarks article that includes F2FS and BtrFS -- on Linux Ext4 is like NTFS and BtrFR is ReFS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah flash-specific filesystems aren't really a thing in the normal PC realm. The ones that are widely used in the real world are in embedded applications where the system has raw access to the flash itself, rather than communicating through a controller.

As I see it the main change SSDs have brought to the mainstream filesystem world so far is basically eliminating the random access penalty. This meant that the fragmentation inherent to an active copy-on-write filesystem suddenly didn't necessarily have a meaningful performance impact. Whether or not a filesystem has a useful defrag tool doesn't matter as much.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

whats the easiest way to transfer my win 10 installation with all its settings and programs over to a completely new pc?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

whats the easiest way to transfer my win 10 installation with all its settings and programs over to a completely new pc?

If both PCs are relatively modern, you can probably just move the HD over, or clone it with reflect, and it will work. Even going between Intel and AMD isn't a problem if you're using standard hardware & drivers. Problems generally only happen when you have something like a RAID setup or other storage that requires a special driver at boot.

If you need to transfer the license as well, here's instructions for that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that guide is useful. All those command line steps are wholly unnecessary and won't help in transferring the activation at all.

To transfer the license, you need to bind it to a MS account - go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation. On your new PC, you then go through the activation troubleshooter (no calling required!) that will transfer the activation for you.

Most of the time, the old key will activate just fine without going through a MS account on the new PC, but to be sure that's what you should do.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 12, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
With the prices of old serial keys all that effort is hardly worth it. Frankly, I will rather pay the eBay price than create a MS account or associate it with my computer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

turns out that if you use the "optional features" panel to uninstall ie11 you can't click links in outlook anymore. apparently it's passing them through ie to your actual default browser

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
That's... just staggeringly incompetent holy poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't think that guide is useful. All those command line steps are wholly unnecessary and won't help in transferring the activation at all.

To transfer the license, you need to bind it to a MS account - go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation. On your new PC, you then go through the activation troubleshooter (no calling required!) that will transfer the activation for you.

Most of the time, the old key will activate just fine without going through a MS account on the new PC, but to be sure that's what you should do.

Deactivating satisfies the legalities of having 1 install from 1 license, and since moving the drive over will require reactivation it should prevent the need for a phone call. Transferring via MS account is like, why go through that when you can activate via the plain key? Having a MS account is a hell no imo, and while you could put the MS account on a dummy account that you get rid of afterwards, again why bother.

(If you didn't care about the legalities, activating a second windows 10 install from the same key usually doesn't even produce a phone call these days, but since the guy is moving the whole install over I figure he's breaking up the old machine.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Deactivating locally doesn't change the status of the license on Microsoft's severs, you'll be able to reactivate using your key either way. Key activation is simply time-limited.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Klyith posted:

Deactivating satisfies the legalities of having 1 install from 1 license, and since moving the drive over will require reactivation it should prevent the need for a phone call. Transferring via MS account is like, why go through that when you can activate via the plain key? Having a MS account is a hell no imo, and while you could put the MS account on a dummy account that you get rid of afterwards, again why bother.

(If you didn't care about the legalities, activating a second windows 10 install from the same key usually doesn't even produce a phone call these days, but since the guy is moving the whole install over I figure he's breaking up the old machine.)

I mean that's not really his fault, that's Cathy's fault/systemic concept of "cell phone number = person".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Weedle posted:

turns out that if you use the "optional features" panel to uninstall ie11 you can't click links in outlook anymore. apparently it's passing them through ie to your actual default browser

That's Microsoft for you!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean that's not really his fault, that's Cathy's fault/systemic concept of "cell phone number = person".

It's not the goon that I'm worried about, it's being the Cathy.

I'm not terribly :tinfoil: about MS collecting data, I leave basic telemetry turned on because I like the idea that maybe someone sees the dump from a crash and fixes a problem. But I'd prefer not to have more personal data than that collected, and if personal data *is* collected it drat well better be kept secure. A phone number is not security.

Maybe Cathy had really terrible security on her MS account, but that's an example of why commingling local security with online security is a really awful idea.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm having a problem with Windows Security. I scanned a bunch of files I dowloaded, and one of them came up with a virus. I must have screwed something up, because I deleted the file off of the computer (sent it to the recycle bin, and deleted it permanently) but the Windows Security is still flagging it as a threat. I have the option to clean the threat, quarantine it, remove it, or allow it. I've tried all the actions, but nothing seems to happen. I tried allowing, and then disallowing it to see if that would get it to disappear, but no luck.

A screenshot of the report (blanked my name out for privacy reasons):

The directory and file have been deleted, and don't exist anymore.

What should I do? I downloaded Malwarebytes and I'm running a full virus scan, but if the file was deleted, then is it just Windows Security thinking that the file is still there? I downloaded it via a torrent. Is is possible I need to purge the download history or something?

EDIT: Ran a targeted scan on the folder where the sub-folder with the infected file was, but nothing popped up. Running a full scan of the C:/ drive now.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 13, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I'm having a problem with Windows Security. I scanned a bunch of files I dowloaded, and one of them came up with a virus. I must have screwed something up, because I deleted the file off of the computer (sent it to the recycle bin, and deleted it permanently) but the Windows Security is still flagging it as a threat. I have the option to clean the threat, quarantine it, remove it, or allow it. I've tried all the actions, but nothing seems to happen. I tried allowing, and then disallowing it to see if that would get it to disappear, but no luck.

A screenshot of the report (blanked my name out for privacy reasons):

The directory and file have been deleted, and don't exist anymore.

What should I do? I downloaded Malwarebytes and I'm running a full virus scan, but if the file was deleted, then is it just Windows Security thinking that the file is still there? I downloaded it via a torrent. Is is possible I need to purge the download history or something?

Comedy option: put dummy files with those names in those places.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

astral posted:

Comedy option: put dummy files with those names in those places.

Here's the thing: what I (stupidly) did was re-download the file and tried running the scan again. A new entry popped up (the timestamp was different), but it was removed. The older one wasn't affected. Still, I can try doing a dummy file.

EDIT: I just found that in installing Malwarebytes, the notification is not showing up. However, I imagine once Malwarebytes is disabled, it could come back.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 13, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
just noticed that, as far as i can tell, you can no longer hide filenames in explorer.

it made photo folders a bit easier to browse.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, after doing a full scan of the C: drive with MalwareBytes (should probably do a full scan of the other drives as well), nothing has turned up. Turning off Malware Bytes (by quitting out of it; not uninstalling it) I found that the virus was no longer being flagged as an active threat. However, it is now labeled in the Protection History as 'Remediation Incomplete'. It also listed the second download I tried, with the message that the threat had been blocked, but the only action available is to 'Allow' it. :confused:

So what I did was search for a way to clear the Protection History. A couple of sources tell you what you need to do is to open up the Event Viewer, and clear the Operational logs for Windows Defender. However, both had comments citing this doesn't work (and it did not work for me). What does work, as mentioned in the comments for both, is to go to 'C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan\History\Service' and delete the files there. Sure enough, I found two folder with dates matching to the threats picked up, and once those were sent to the Recyle Bin, they disappeared from Windows Defender. :thumbsup:

It sounds like maybe Windows Defender is supposed to automatically clear those entries after a few days, though it also sounds like something you're supposed to set.

-

I'm gonna run a scan on the other drives with MalwareBytes, but I want to ask if I'm okay sticking with Windows Defender once the trial runs out on MalwareBytes. It sounds like you can still use it in a limited fashion once the premium trial expires. I've used Windows Defender (as Microsoft Security Essentials when I had Windows 7), and I never had issues with it. I remember asking about antivirus before in the past either here or in another thread, and I was told that most of the antivirus programs like Norton and the like have issues with false flagging (which I've had issues with when I used them in the past).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 13, 2020

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Rinkles posted:

just noticed that, as far as i can tell, you can no longer hide filenames in explorer.

it made photo folders a bit easier to browse.

Now, if they would just turn off hiding extensions….

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Double Punctuation posted:

Now, if they would just turn off hiding extensions….

Look in the View part of the explorer menu ribbon. They actually made this easier in the latest version (2004). You used to have to go to “Folder Options”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

namlosh posted:

Look in the View part of the explorer menu ribbon. They actually made this easier in the latest version (2004). You used to have to go to “Folder Options”

Yeah, but that won’t help keep grandma from opening CuteKittens.jpg.exe.