Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

from a report of some of the troops that got deployed to the protests in DC

quote:

A day later, the Immediate Response Battalion finally re-deployed back to Fort Bragg. However, social distancing was virtually impossible during the deployment. Once returned back to Bragg, enough soldiers tested positive for COVID-19, showed symptoms consistent with the virus, or were exposed to those who did have the virus, that two companies of IRB 1 had to be quarantined, according to the source Connecting Vets spoke with. Connecting Vets reached out to Fort Bragg's public affairs office, who directed us to the 82nd Airborne's public affairs officer, who directed us to the brigade public affairs officer, who did not reply to phone calls or voice messages. Connecting Vets also reached out directly to the Pentagon. A spokesperson declined to comment citing operational security concerns.
https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/new-details-about-the-82nd-military-deployment-to-dc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what the “worst of both worlds half-assed lockdown causing multiple spikes in cases until unemployment runs out” strategy didn’t cure this already?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

COVID-420 posted:

the long awaited...

TOP 5 NEW CASES USA

1. California +3,627 *NEW RECORD*
2. Texas +2,184 *NEW RECORD*
3. Florida +1,902 *NEW RECORD*
4. North Carolina +1,846 *NEW RECORD
5. Arizona +1,654 *NEW RECORD*

unless i'm mistaken NC and AZ are like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4th the population so its really impressive they are doing this terribly and the other three are hiding this wel.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bernie Panders posted:

there’s nothing wrong with being outside if you’re distancing. very little data supports outside infections as being common

Yeah me know that now and you don't see anybody with posts making fun of people going to a non crowded park or anything like that. Just the 'I went to the gym and there were a bunch of idiots there' type posts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

orange sky posted:

Hope this hasn't been posted yet, but what the gently caress if true

https://twitter.com/GermHunterMD/status/1271680355104243712?s=19

Whether it can be detected and whether it is alive and enough to be contagious are two different things.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A lot of Canadians are in a full on panic because Americans travellers at the border are claiming they're travelling up to Alaska (which they're allowed to do) and then taking a "detour" to stop and camp at some tourist spots in the Rockies.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao I used to look at covidactnow.org because it does history of cases, ICU beds, etc even down to the county level, but look at this trash methodology:

just a couple states in danger, nothing to see here

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

from a report of some of the troops that got deployed to the protests in DC

https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/new-details-about-the-82nd-military-deployment-to-dc

does the non reserve mil still treat any diagnosis of covid as a lifetime ban from enlisting

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i love the phrasing of 'controlled disease growth'

like, do they understand the consequences of continued growth?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
if you would like to destroy your weekend, Laurie Kilmartin (writes for Conan) is live tweeting providing hospice over FaceTime for her mom who is very rapidly dying of covid

https://twitter.com/anylaurie16/status/1271777482383822848?s=19

or, you know, do the well adjusted thing and stay the gently caress away from that account for a day or two

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i love the phrasing of 'controlled disease growth'

like, do they understand the consequences of continued growth?

yes, the founder is an ex-googler and the whole org is riddled with the same. they know exactly what they're doing at this point

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dreylad posted:

A lot of Canadians are in a full on panic because Americans travellers at the border are claiming they're travelling up to Alaska (which they're allowed to do) and then taking a "detour" to stop and camp at some tourist spots in the Rockies.

canada cannot stop getting casually but comprehensively owned by every other nation it interacts w

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
nytimes is still pretty reliable:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

fixed url

EIDE Van Hagar has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Jun 13, 2020

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Squizzle posted:

does the non reserve mil still treat any diagnosis of covid as a lifetime ban from enlisting

Probably for new enlistees they do, I doubt it would affect anyone already in the service though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pdog posted:

why do Americans love to wear awful tan trousers

those appear to be school dress code pants they are forced to wear.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thump! posted:

Probably for new enlistees they do, I doubt it would affect anyone already in the service though

gonna be wild when like at least a third of the recruiting pool is gone

w schools pushing so hard to come back to full classes, maybe way WAY more than that :thunk:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the unprecedentedly few, the proud

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
amazing to me how many states never even reached a peak or plateau and just kept increasing the whole time

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Doesn't this look fun?!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Doesn't this look fun?!

that's about every opening act I've ever seen

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fosborb posted:

lmao I used to look at covidactnow.org because it does history of cases, ICU beds, etc even down to the county level, but look at this trash methodology:

just a couple states in danger, nothing to see here

that actually doesn't look as bad as you'd expect it to be

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Squizzle posted:

canada cannot stop getting casually but comprehensively owned by every other nation it interacts w

it's our lot in life and we gladly accept it by telling ourselves over and over "well at least we're not americans."

yeah we're a sad bunch

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

People die of pneumonia all the loving time in Florida in June

Yup. We call it "swamp lung" down here.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thoguh posted:

Whether it can be detected and whether it is alive and enough to be contagious are two different things.

Good news! They tested it by infecting cell cultures with the virus and observing that it was viable and able to spread.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dreylad posted:

it's our lot in life and we gladly accept it by telling ourselves over and over "well at least we're not americans."

yeah we're a sad bunch

sucks, but at least you aren't an american

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Brazil is racking up a LOT of reported cum deaths and rapidly shooting up the leaderboard. They overtook Italy for 3rd place ten days ago and they just overtook the UK and claimed second place, and their curve is looking pretty ugly:

It'll take them a hell of a long time to catch up the the US though, you guys have established a shockingly steep lead:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Sounds like Canada needs to build a big beautiful wall and make Trump pay for it!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Brazil is racking up a LOT of reported cum deaths and rapidly shooting up the leaderboard. They overtook Italy for 3rd place ten days ago and they just overtook the UK and claimed second place, and their curve is looking pretty ugly:

It'll take them a hell of a long time to catch up the the US though, you guys have established a shockingly steep lead:

usa

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lol at how badly California is doing. Christ, Newsom, lock this poo poo down properly.

Has anyone ever come out of the San Francisco machine with any balls (except Willie Brown)?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

someone repost that hilarious bus race short video.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/time/status/1271639127579136000?s=21

hahaha what the gently caress noooooo

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

close your eyes and think about number go up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fosborb posted:

close your eyes and think about number go up

Imagine you are on a mountain top with number.

etalian has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Jun 13, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

let the number touch and lick you

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
"safety behaviors like washing your hands"

suck my dick and choke on it, I yield my time gently caress you

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I can't understand why people in my community won't wear masks when there is such unified and simple messaging ??

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bernie Panders posted:

what would possibly change by august if you believe you’re in danger now

Nothing, but we came to that decision back in February when things were first kicking off and we thought there was a chance that we'd actually lock this poo poo down. None of us really expect to see to be doing much of anything for the rest of the year at this point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

schools will try to come back but enough teachers/staff/kids will test positive and/or end up hospitalized that they will shut down again before xmas. if nothing else does, school closures will trigger another wave of widespread halfassed shutdowns

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Somebody pitched this idea, found someone to write it, it got edited, and then signed off and published. At no point in that chain did someone go 'this is loving stupid what the hell'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Somebody pitched this idea, found someone to write it, it got edited, and then signed off and published. At no point in that chain did someone go 'this is loving stupid what the hell'.

it was the government, op

"why is no one going to the mall enough yet???" - a fed