Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

FreezingInferno posted:

I got chills when Lindsay called Time Of Your Life a punk prom song because that no-joke was my high school graduating class's song. I had no input in picking it, but just how universal a pick is that song for 17 year-olds about to move to adulthood?

i’m not american but i still know that it’s an extremely cliche choice for a graduation song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

And Kathleen Hanna and Rammstein, but I suppose they weren't really in the mainstream.

Rammstein is pretty mainstream. Basically you have to ignore a lot of artists to come to the conclusion that Greenday made the best protest music of that era. The point that it's pretty lovely to ignore the suffering of others because you're getting some good songs still stands though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
My high school graduation song was "Long Time" by Boston.

I still think it should have been "Don't Look Back", but what do I know?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Green Day played at both my elementary school "graduation" as well as my high school grad. As far as I'm aware it hasn't gone away.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Green Day is in there weird zone where like, if they were named anything else I'd hate most of their songs...but I was like 10 when american idiot came out and I seriously nostalgia for them in a way that I don't really for any other band

oh I have serious nostalgia about Green Day songs because they were about 75% of the music I heard in the late 90s in high school. My first CD was a Green Day album.

But 20 years later, they're just... there, in the past.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The NES's Hardest Mode was only cleared a few days ago. Here's a video detailing how and who did it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember a person who I did not care for otherwise admittedly going on and on about how deep Boulevard of Broken Dreams and I wanted to yell at them to listen to like any other song ever about how life doesn't work out how you want.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dookie is still really fun and Basket Case is a bop, I don't know what you guys are going on about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHWQSCItwo
Inside the Score argues that of you want your kid to be a musical prodigy, make them watch the original Thomas the tank engine episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

Dookie is still really fun and Basket Case is a bop, I don't know what you guys are going on about.

Dookie is an incredibly strong album. Probably belongs in top 10 lists of the 90s.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like American Idiot but I also sometimes listen to Barry Manilow on purpose and have no shame left when it comes to music

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the only song I remember being played at my graduation celebration was Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
There was a comment on the protest song video about how the hard-hitting abrasiveness of emo music served as a release for teenagers who could see they were going to inherit a world run by idiots and assholes that doesn't make sense. Despite being an avid emo listener, I can't say I'm the best example of that because I tended to be lost in my own little world instead of using it as an outlet for my frustrations over the political climate at the time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HopperUK posted:

I like American Idiot but I also sometimes listen to Barry Manilow on purpose and have no shame left when it comes to music
I find myself on my Scott Walker station really liking the Elivs and Sinatra music, but yeah if it sounds good I'll listen to it

FreezingInferno posted:

I got chills when Lindsay called Time Of Your Life a punk prom song because that no-joke was my high school graduating class's song. I had no input in picking it, but just how universal a pick is that song for 17 year-olds about to move to adulthood?
I've noticed people really like that one song from Wicked the musical for graduation things

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Green Day are (were?) Really fun live.

Alhazred posted:

Rammstein is pretty mainstream. Basically you have to ignore a lot of artists to come to the conclusion that Greenday made the best protest music of that era. The point that it's pretty lovely to ignore the suffering of others because you're getting some good songs still stands though.
The video seems to be coming from the perspective that "good" protest music is defined by its chart position, not how effective is the message or how well made it is but how much playtime did it get.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and it’s only partly nostalgia.

But I also love Vocaloid music and think The Black Parade is actually a solid album in retrospect, so my taste is pretty suspect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Green Day are (were?) Really fun live.

The video seems to be coming from the perspective that "good" protest music is defined by its chart position, not how effective is the message or how well made it is but how much playtime did it get.

To me it seems that point was that the more effective and well made it was then the more sales and playtime the songs got.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MCR is a good band. Black Parade still holds up.

Actually going back, their other albums are good as well. Even their debut.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I love American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and it’s only partly nostalgia.

But I also love Vocaloid music and think The Black Parade is actually a solid album in retrospect, so my taste is pretty suspect.

don’t lump in vocaloid music as a concept with mid-2000s pop punk

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I guess, but expecting markets to promote the most 'sucessful' piece of art perfectally is a notion I'm highly sceptical of.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

watho posted:

don’t lump in vocaloid music as a concept with mid-2000s pop punk

Ok but what if I said that I was mostly thinking of my recent revelation that despite what middle school me thought, most of ryo’s stuff is actually pretty solid.

But also friend my love of vocaloid music is completely unironic, as demonstrated by my decade+ collection of 50 GBs of stuff and my decade old still active UTAU cover channel.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I dont know if it' s just this nerd thing or that I really was disconnected from pop culture in high school or something. There was just...so much stuff I missed because...*shrug* MCR and Green Day were the most mainstream bands I listened to. The rest of my musical taste was Anime stuff, obscure ska bands older music that my parents listened to.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no yeah fair but it’s mostly that thinking pop punk is emberassing is kinda fair since it’s very much filled with suburban teen melodrama and most of it is the same while vocaloid is absurdly wide and varied

i totally get where you’re coming from tho and i relate strongly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

I hope she included the greatest political song of the Bush years, Bush Was Right.

That song started playing in my head before I even clicked the link.

Dias posted:

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 13, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't like pop punk or vocaloid but I do like weather channel music and I will actively seek it out at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXGYf3uTrw

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This is a great video and it's honestly kind of amazing the scene is still getting new blood even today. The guys who beat the impossible level are a uni student and a 14 year old.

Like I watch speedrunning docs sometimes and so often it's a cadre of people into the game since release all the way. The fact this has giants less than half the game's age is rad as hell and says nice things about the community.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked NOFX for a while but over time i got the impression they were substituting being cruel and nasty for being rebellious and grew out of them

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BigRed0427 posted:

:hai:

I'll go to bat for Danger Days. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it is apparently exactly mine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FreezingInferno posted:

[InsufferableNerdVoice]Actually, the song is called "Good Riddance"[/InsufferableNerdVoice]

EDIT: Also, I never got the hate for MCR. I mean Hurr Hurr Emo Guy Liner but the actual music was very solid Pop Punk. And Black Parade was a jam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybOYSVFPls

Sage is putting up his rare JoJo OVAs for auction to put all the money towards the Homeless Black Trans women fund.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sage is putting up his rare JoJo OVAs for auction to put all the money towards the Homeless Black Trans women fund.

That's just great. :unsmith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BigRed0427 posted:

:yeah:

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, I never got the hate for MCR. I mean Hurr Hurr Emo Guy Liner but the actual music was very solid Pop Punk. And Black Parade was a jam.

A lot of it really was just homophobia, buncha cowards scared of how cute Gerard Way and a lot of the emo singers were.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m not gonna pretend that homophobia wasn’t extremely rampart in the mid 2000s but i really wouldn’t say that’s one of the main reasons people didn’t like emo bands. especially considering homophobia was pretty loving rampart in that culture as well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris survives his Chaos Mode announcement to go from talking about the Andromeda Strain during a global pandemic to instead talk about the Deep Space Nine episode on Police Brutality during anti racism protests.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Defunctland looks at the histories of Coney Island

https://youtu.be/7C5kxkBPhpE

(The bit with the elephant... woof)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I feel like the biggest reason is a lot of teenage girls liked it and were childish about it because they are children and drat it, nothing teenage girls like is good and look how dumb they are.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

anime man...good???

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean I feel like the biggest reason is a lot of teenage girls liked it and were childish about it because they are children and drat it, nothing teenage girls like is good and look how dumb they are.

yea while there for sure was some 'THAT GUY'S WEARING EYELINER?! GAAAAAAAAAAAY' I think the biggest factor was the classic 'lol look how many young girls like it, it must be stupid and lame'

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

time to start playing Spot The Theater Kid

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah it wasn’t so much people not liking it because of their homophobia as it was manifesting their dislike of it through homophobia, just as the emo kids did the same with what the preppy kids liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CYBEReris posted:

i liked NOFX for a while but over time i got the impression they were substituting being cruel and nasty for being rebellious and grew out of them

NOFX also felt like they were being gatekeep-y towards what was and wasn't punk. I mean, I was at the time as well, but I also grew out of it.