Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Coxswain Balls posted:

That said, her reaction this time at the end was fantastic. Just, nope, don't want to deal with this right now.

She's learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love this show but I hope Ino integrates more eventually.

Something the author of the manga said a while ago is that what he likes to do with his characters is to use them in the same way often enough that you think you have a good handle on them and then start opening them up more so the audience is surprised by their depth. Like, their depth means something more to you if you go in with preexisting biases. Fujiwara and Ishigami also started as one-gag characters who would always show up at the end of a skit to repeat their joke.

Although admittedly it's a little frustrating to see with Iino when everyone else is already a more developed character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Something the author of the manga said a while ago is that what he likes to do with his characters is to use them in the same way often enough that you think you have a good handle on them and then start opening them up more so the audience is surprised by their depth. Like, their depth means something more to you if you go in with preexisting biases. Fujiwara and Ishigami also started as one-gag characters who would always show up at the end of a skit to repeat their joke.

Although admittedly it's a little frustrating to see with Iino when everyone else is already a more developed character.

Yeah like basically I trust that Iino will be developed and roped into the rest of the group, but there is large amount of, I guess contrast? Between her interactions and everyone else's interactions such that she still seems like a distinctly outsider character looking in and I'm eagerly anticipating when she crosses the threshold and has her "If you can't beat them, join them." moment; and can more freely bounce off of them, because right now its more adversarial.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Incidentally, that segment was evidently making a direct reference to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooeRrFk26fo

As if the extremely obvious musical reference needed to be more explicit.

That's definitely the intended reference, but I can't help thinking that it might also be referring to this youtube video based on the end of season 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGtUQo_3Ic. Since it features the same song at the start, it makes me think someone on the staff may have opted for a double reference.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 7, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A beautiful episode. Kaguya got herself a dance, and Ishigami becomes an egg. Top tier stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah like basically I trust that Iino will be developed and roped into the rest of the group, but there is large amount of, I guess contrast? Between her interactions and everyone else's interactions such that she still seems like a distinctly outsider character looking in and I'm eagerly anticipating when she crosses the threshold and has her "If you can't beat them, join them." moment; and can more freely bounce off of them, because right now its more adversarial.

I think that's what I liked about this episode, we got to see some more depth of who she is and a deeper joke. Now she just needs to get to the point of interacting the same with the other named characters!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The key thing is whoever's doing the episode direction is having so much fun that we can't help but do so too.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

holy crap, i can’t believe how wild they are with the different styles and segments. really hoping we get a third season so we can see past the sports festival

also hope we get chapter 83, where kei tries to trick shirogane into sharing his relationship issues.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 7, 2020

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I'm excited for what we could get in Season 3

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Hell, I'm excited for the OP.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think you're doing the anime a huge injustice if you don't take it up to at least (So incredibly minor, but I'll spoiler it anyway) The culture festival, and everything after that has been great too in the manga so I don't see why they would stop there unless the ratings/blu-ray sales are doing terrible. Usually if that's the case for an anime they don't give it a second season, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

That was an incredible goddamn episode. I was ready to declare it peaked at Peanuts but it just kept getting better. That fighting game scene destroyed me.

When Kaguya slammed her leg down to stop Shirogane from getting up I lost it.

Much like with Ishigami, I'm worried that BDSM queen Kaguya is going to awaken something inside of me. The equipment shed in Iino's imagination was so hilarious.

https://i.imgur.com/EfClxdY.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ROpaXKP.mp4

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

NowonSA posted:

I think you're doing the anime a huge injustice if you don't take it up to at least (So incredibly minor, but I'll spoiler it anyway) The culture festival, and everything after that has been great too in the manga so I don't see why they would stop there unless the ratings/blu-ray sales are doing terrible. Usually if that's the case for an anime they don't give it a second season, though.

By all accounts both manga and anime sell very well. Plus you have a studio that's obviously passionate and a supportive author so I see no reason why a third season shouldn't happen.

Besides standard anime fuckery.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There was also that live action movie that came out last year. Dunno if it was any good though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Coxswain Balls posted:

There was also that live action movie that came out last year. Dunno if it was any good though.

It's like most live-action movies, but at least it's not a Netflix adaptation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It is going to be very very very difficult to top this as my anime of the year.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's like most live-action movies, but at least it's not a Netflix adaptation.
I mean, yeah, but it still feels distinctly Kaguya-ish.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

I mean, yeah, but it still feels distinctly Kaguya-ish.

It's also good for the Sho Hirano joke in the manga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AlternateNu posted:

It is going to be very very very difficult to top this as my anime of the year.

Onodera is the best character, tbh.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Episode 10 adapted chapters and previews:

Ch 83 - Kei Shirogane Won't Talk
Ch 84 - Miyuki Shirogane Wants To Dance
Ch 85 - Kobachi Osaragi Wants to Supervise
Ch 86 - Mr. Shirogane Wants to Pry

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

yesssssshhhhhhhh :getin:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

So glad we're getting this stretch of chapters, this is gonna be a lot of fun.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hell yes. all excellent choices.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I cannot wait to see Chapter 83 adapted. That is one of my favorites!

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 10, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My only regret is that they won't show the art chapter this season.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Aw dang, this season's equivalent of Chika dance is too short ;_;

Can't help but shake the feeling it's parodying Vogue by Madonna.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MJP posted:

Can't help but shake the feeling it's parodying Vogue by Madonna.

The song definitely is, at least. It was also used for the Spyasaka scene in the first ep.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eyre Kneed posted:

Episode 10 adapted chapters and previews:

Ch 83 - Kei Shirogane Won't Talk

:suspense:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Papa Shirogane is the absolute best this episode :allears:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Koyasu is

sooooo goooood at comedy

To think he wasted all those years being a last boss and a love interest in romance stories instead of doing poo poo like this

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a good dad

e:

Maniacs

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please remember that the same year he did Touga Kiryuu (which, along with Zechs Marquise and Shinya Aiba, codified his typecast for a while), Koyasu also voiced the incredibly goofy good boy Shingo Yabuki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TnUCP4ybA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpoQ6swP9jQ

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I ditto the sentiment that Koyasu owns in comedic roles.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Regular reminder that Fujiwara is still the best.

Is there a translation of that Kaguya/Shirogane family diagram at the end?

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations

Tenebrais posted:

Regular reminder that Fujiwara is still the best.

Is there a translation of that Kaguya/Shirogane family diagram at the end?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's not really fair to either. Fujiwara is part of the core cast. Papagane's appearances are few and far in between.

Like I think this is the most we've seen of him in the anime?

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Soundtrack Analysis for Episode 10

Kei's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0_YnE4mPk Mostly a composite of a few themes from this soundtrack. Fabio Frizzi rules.
The family meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ
Start of Taiko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFAghWlmMds
Probably a Japanese Ska song turned polka (my J-pop game is weak)
Something from Taiko no Tatsujin as he's looking at the phone
The strings from this while Kagyua tries teaching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5AzFc3coo (the vertigo visual reference gave it away)

Edit: The start of Kobachi Osaragi wants to crack down contains this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji-Ye6nbJWY

That's the new stuff I noticed, probably missing a couple as always.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 14, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Papa Shirogane is unbelievably powerful

Also Kaguya going way out to where nobody could hear her to cheer for Miyuki was very cute

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm glad they made Onodera's hair less lemon-colored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

That's not really fair to either. Fujiwara is part of the core cast. Papagane's appearances are few and far in between.

Like I think this is the most we've seen of him in the anime?

Oh I just mean this episode continued to show her being the best, not making it a contest.

And thanks for the translation SebastianK