Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
m8 wtf are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

m8 wtf are you doing

The gradient, aka the total loss, is clearly descending. Not sure what you want the guy to do beyond that.

rchon
Feb 19, 2015

m8 wtf are you doing

trying to train an autoencoder-ish thing based on resnet-50 with ms coco. the total_loss is just the mse. i started training it on friday and basically it spent ~31k batches of images oscillating around learning nothing. time to start randomly changing various hyperparameters!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what's your learning rate strategy?

rchon
Feb 19, 2015
initial guess with 1e-5, detectron2 does some lr warmup which is why it starts out lower than that for the beginning batches. besides double checking all the code, lowering the learning rate was experiment #1 on the "randomly change hyperparams" list.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

it won’t have actually learned anything until it’s able to explain what it has learned

sorry, but someone had to say it

rchon
Feb 19, 2015

Max Facetime posted:

it won’t have actually learned anything until it’s able to explain what it has learned

sorry, but someone had to say it

this network has learned something but no animal ever has

:hmmyes:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stop explaining black box machine learning models for high stakes decisions and use interpretable models instead

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rchon posted:

this network has learned something but no animal ever has

:hmmyes:

idk seems good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also isn’t their counter example to COMPAS what COMPAS was? The only black box aspect of it is that it was proprietary and not publicly available and when it was looked into it was basically a spreadsheet doing exactly that?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1270273981283794948

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1270314033724481538

Microsoft’s AI editor’s job: be possibly racist

Microsoft’s human editors’ job: cover up for the racist AI

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
their faces look like they were ai generated too tbh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
thispopactdoesnotexist.com

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

what could you do with a lot of real
estate data

i got some ideas, you got an address i can contact you on?

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
goonsource the project echi

animist
Aug 28, 2018

:yeah:

there's also some other work on how you can trick explanation methods. so like, if you're relying on visualizations of your deep neural network to determine if it's making bad decisions, an adversary can pretty easily trick the visualization tools as well as the network itself

basically don't trust anything where you can't fully explain the algorithm it's using

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

animist posted:

deep neural network

basically don't

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's some work showing that optimizing for accuracy leads to vulnerability to adversarial attacks (Robustness May Be at Odds with Accuracy, Theoretically Principled Trade-off between Robustness and Accuracy). A lot of this seems like it's really deep-learning specific, but maybe that's just because people are only looking there right now.

Something else that may be interesting: Politics of Adversarial Machine Learning

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think DNNs come up a lot because its where you're really getting into interlayering more or less generic functions and trying to make the math work out to do what you want

animist
Aug 28, 2018

I think DNNs come up a lot because its where you're really getting into interlayering more or less generic functions and trying to make the math work out to do what you want

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
uuuh tensors thanks :rolleye:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

uuuh tensors thanks :rolleye:

“tenser” said the tensor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vodkat posted:

i got some ideas, you got an address i can contact you on?

mandruku at gmail but idk if you’re serious :qq:

Max Facetime posted:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1270273981283794948

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1270314033724481538

Microsoft’s AI editor’s job: be possibly racist

Microsoft’s human editors’ job: cover up for the racist AI

tell me is MSN microsoft? and and MSN and NBC combine to make MSNBC?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

tell me is MSN microsoft? and and MSN and NBC combine to make MSNBC?

they did but microsoft sold their stake in the network years ago.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

a neurotic ai posted:

gradient descent means literally into hell.

post / username :discourse:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Schadenboner posted:

thispopactdoesnotexist.com

if you could both generate the look and the lyrics and the music and put it all together this could be awesome

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaartenvSmeden/status/1272613128304578561

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/MaartenvSmeden/status/1272613790593548289?s=20

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I had to read that like 5 times before I realised he meant they used the full date and not like day of week or something

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Patients admitted on a weekend are more likely to cheat on their spouses :crossarms:

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Statistics can get real weird man. We get it beaten into us in formal logic that correlation does not imply causation, but then stats basically turns around and says ‘yeah but if this R is high enough then we gonna build a model that assumes it is anyway’.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i suspect that was supposed to be Mortality but who knows

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a neurotic ai posted:

Statistics can get real weird man. We get it beaten into us in formal logic that correlation does not imply causation, but then stats basically turns around and says ‘yeah but if this R is high enough then we gonna build a model that assumes it is anyway’.

that doesn't sound like a good use of stats

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
really its just that stats are a tool and people can ask dumb questions and then those tools have no defense against them

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

a neurotic ai posted:

No one in statistics is saying that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ultrafilter posted:

No one in statistics is saying that.

coulda fooled me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carthag Tuek posted:

coulda fooled me

That's because you've never talked to anyone who honestly works with stats.

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of liars who set out to use the formalisms of stats to justify whatever agenda they're trying to push, and also a bunch of idiots that throw stats machinery at problems and blindly pick things with a strong correlation.

A good statistician doesn't do either of those things though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no true statistician lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

That's because you've never talked to anyone who honestly works with stats.

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of liars who set out to use the formalisms of stats to justify whatever agenda they're trying to push, and also a bunch of idiots that throw stats machinery at problems and blindly pick things with a strong correlation.

A good statistician doesn't do either of those things though.

Statistically, most statisticians are the idiots and liars