Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Tomb was always kind of bullshit, I didn't even bother going there back in the days of Tomb of Doroklohe. That they managed to make it worse still amazes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Internet Kraken posted:

Tomb is why I ultimately quit playing Crawl, because combined with the trap changes its just a sick joke now.

Yes, I love having every trap on screen be triggered by the mountain of enemies causing me to randomly teleport around without my control. Definitely feels fair in an area that requires precise movement to not explode.
I thought you switched over to Gooncrawl a while ago?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

Tomb was always kind of bullshit, I didn't even bother going there back in the days of Tomb of Doroklohe. That they managed to make it worse still amazes me.
Trunk hates the player and wants them to die. This is why the only place they've touched extended is to make it harder.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PMush Perfect posted:

I thought you switched over to Gooncrawl a while ago?

I tried it. I just don't have the passion anymore. I have all these negative memories associated with Crawl now and anytime I play it I just wish it was back to the way I want it to be. I appreciate what the gooncrawl contributors have done but I don't think I can rekindle my passion for the game anymore :sigh:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried it. I just don't have the passion anymore. I have all these negative memories associated with Crawl now and anytime I play it I just wish it was back to the way I want it to be. I appreciate what the gooncrawl contributors have done but I don't think I can rekindle my passion for the game anymore :sigh:

I can sympathize. My passion for it died when all the devs were in here being dicks about anyone who went "Ugh I died in a very annoying way." and it just entirely made me not want to play the game ever again.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

This is where I ended up too. I tried Gooncrawl. I really appreciate the effort, but I what I really want is an alternate history branching around 0.12 where a completely different team was acting as the curators and my passion for the game would have grown with that better curation, not been extinguished by developer arrogance.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm the exact opposite. Gooncrawl is the most fun I've had with the game since ~2012. This project is the only reason I still like the game and I love the work that people are putting into it because it keeps the fire burning.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm the exact opposite. Gooncrawl is the most fun I've had with the game since ~2012. This project is the only reason I still like the game and I love the work that people are putting into it because it keeps the fire burning.
Same here.

The only thing I miss is tournaments, but idk if gooncrawl has a large enough playerbase for one to be worth it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DCSS 0.25 tournament starts Friday if anyone wants to make a casual group and play DCSS hit me up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

On one hand, MiBe is just as good as ever, and it'd be fun to show off the unrivaled power of the BaSk^C. But also, I don't actually want to play mainline crawl.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a bit interested if only because I've never done a tournament before.

Definitely prefer Gooncrawl to main crawl, though.

Froggeryz
Dec 23, 2008
Got some open spots in team Knifeback for the .25 tournament if anyone is looking for a team, just add # TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz to your rc file and let me know which name I should add.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Oh crawl, I remember when you were fun. The game isn't _that_ different from when I played most (around .11-.15) but I just don't feel it anymore. Probably just burned out after a few thousand hours.

things that still need to be removed:
identification
food
summon XP penalty
traps

things I want brought back:
summon elemental
rods
broken scummy nemelex

Also it feels like the XP powered evocables just kinda suck in general. Am I wrong?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Summon xp penalty was removed ages ago iirc. Item ID's been through several streamline iterations, but it's also kinda a core RL mechanic that's not going away. Same with food, even if it's clock is negligible. It's just a single (weightless) slot now that exists to put limiters on certain strong actions, so it's in a good place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd rather that they'd have gotten rid of item IDing than the ability to go up stairs in places like Tomb. One's an annoying minigame that has always been more tedious than anything and is mostly there out of tradition, while the other is just pure "STOP PLAYING THE GAME WRONG" echo chamber bullshit that no one except for a tiny minority of players ever asked for. Not like the dev team is well-known for making good decisions, but there's bad decisions and then there's bad decisions.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 12, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Serephina posted:

Summon xp penalty was removed ages ago iirc. Item ID's been through several streamline iterations, but it's also kinda a core RL mechanic that's not going away. Same with food, even if it's clock is negligible. It's just a single (weightless) slot now that exists to put limiters on certain strong actions, so it's in a good place.
1) According to Tavern threads dated in the last month, the XP penalty is still in.

2) Ashenzari removes a big chunk of the ID game, Hellcrawl removes it outright. I don't believe the game suffers for it. There are plenty of roguelikes out there with no ID game (Caves of Qud, Cogmind, Jupiter Hell, ToME (I think?), etc.).

3) Food has been reduced to almost nothing (a negligible clock) so why not reduce it to nothing? What strong actions is it limiting? Berserk has much worse downsides than hunger, and big spells are heavily gated by XP, limited MP, resisting monsters and the chance to straight up fail. Hellcrawl removed food too, and I don't see anyone complaining.

I dunno man, I've spent far too much time thinking about this stuff.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2020

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Out of Depth monsters have always been a much more aggressive and active dissuader of sandbagging levels for EXP than the food clock ever was to begin with, and that's a mechanic that's been in the game forever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like item IDing.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Caves of Qud definitely has an ID game

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Vadun posted:

Caves of Qud definitely has an ID game
Whoops, you are absolutely right, I forgot because I usually play characters who can readily identify artifacts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bees x1000 posted:

1) According to Tavern threads dated in the last month, the XP penalty is still in.

2) Ashenzari removes a big chunk of the ID game, Hellcrawl removes it outright. I don't believe the game suffers for it. There are plenty of roguelikes out there with no ID game (Caves of Qud, Cogmind, Jupiter Hell, ToME (I think?), etc.).

3) Food has been reduced to almost nothing (a negligible clock) so why not reduce it to nothing? What strong actions is it limiting? Berserk has much worse downsides than hunger, and big spells are heavily gated by XP, limited MP, resisting monsters and the chance to straight up fail. Hellcrawl removed food too, and I don't see anyone complaining.

1) Summon penalty was removed in gooncrawl, which is what 99% of people in this thread play now.
2) Item ID is basically meaningless after lair or so, so I don't see the harm in removing it. But it's also not hurting much by staying in other than making early game more annoying.
3) I agree. In theory it's meant to be the clock forcing you to go deeper instead of scumming a level forever. In practice even that doesn't matter anymore since spawns stop after a while. You could abyss scum but a)you'll find rations and edible corpses there sometimes and b)abyss scumming is its own punishment.

bees x1000 posted:

Also it feels like the XP powered evocables just kinda suck in general. Am I wrong?
Most of them are very strong, you just have to know how/when to use them. Lamp of fire is basically an infinite cloudwand guaranteed to only spawn one good cloud type, but the way the clouds work means you really want to use it in halls if at all possible. Scattershot wands are a 'delete this enemy' button if your evo is decent. Acid wands are great for sniping dangerous stuff(especially summoners) hiding behidn other enemies. Iceblast wands are good crowd control, and also good against high EV enemies since they don't check evasion. Lightning rods are fantastic crowd control. Box of beasts summons are powerful, but since you only get one per evoke you generally want to save them for individual strong enemies. Harps of healing are incredible - you can use them to stay alive while waiting for a tele to fire, or to quickly heal while hiding in a killhole, or just to try to outheal an enemy's damage in general(although I wouldn't recommend this unless your evo is very high). Crystal Ball of Energy is basically essential if you want to bring a caster into extended - but it needs very high evo to use reliably, and you have to remember to use it while you still have MP left, instead of getting to 3 mp and going 'oh poo poo'.

The only ones that really suck are fan of gales(I'll carry one if I have inventory spots to spare, but the blowback is rarely strong enough to justify the slot if you're having inventory issues) and stone of tremors(apparently trunk replaced it with something else? I have no idea if the replacement is actually better or just different).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

bees x1000 posted:

1. Mea culpa, I wonder which fork did it then. Probably all of them.
2. Cogmind also has an id game :) (prototypes & alien artifacts). It's not necessary, but it's hardly a poor design choice to include one.
3. Certain caster builds caring about food are a minority, it's mostly a lot of god abilities and the like. Again, we agree that it's barely a clock at all.

4. I do not like to talk about things can could be cut in regards to DCSS, we have seen the evil that that mindset has wrought.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 12, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

ToME (I think?)

tome, bizarrely, has an entire, fully-featured item ID mechanic which is rendered 100% pointless because literally every character you can build starts with either an item or in-built talent that automatically identifies all items you pick up instantly and for free.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Also, while I really like item identification as a concept in other roguelikes, I feel like DCSS's in particular has become entirely vestigial since they removed basically every bad potion and scroll. It basically now exists as a binary decision between "do I want to get taxed 1 potion/scroll from every type to identify them now, or do I just want to wait until I've found enough ID scrolls?" which is not an interesting decision in the slightest. The game would not suffer for its removal because it has already suffered the removal of everything that made it interesting to begin with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IDing is one of those things that's a huge deal early-game and then completely stops mattering past a certain point.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Wow didn't know gooncrawl got rid of XP sharing. I'll actually use summoning now!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Leave ID but only for artefacts

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Speleothing posted:

Leave ID but only for artefacts
I'm not necessarily against this, but how would one ID them? I don't think identify and remove curse scrolls should stay in the game if randarts are the only thing they apply to.

Haifisch posted:

Most of them are very strong, you just have to know how/when to use them. Lamp of fire is basically an infinite cloudwand guaranteed to only spawn one good cloud type, but the way the clouds work means you really want to use it in halls if at all possible. Scattershot wands are a 'delete this enemy' button if your evo is decent. Acid wands are great for sniping dangerous stuff(especially summoners) hiding behidn other enemies. Iceblast wands are good crowd control, and also good against high EV enemies since they don't check evasion. Lightning rods are fantastic crowd control. Box of beasts summons are powerful, but since you only get one per evoke you generally want to save them for individual strong enemies. Harps of healing are incredible - you can use them to stay alive while waiting for a tele to fire, or to quickly heal while hiding in a killhole, or just to try to outheal an enemy's damage in general(although I wouldn't recommend this unless your evo is very high). Crystal Ball of Energy is basically essential if you want to bring a caster into extended - but it needs very high evo to use reliably, and you have to remember to use it while you still have MP left, instead of getting to 3 mp and going 'oh poo poo'.

The only ones that really suck are fan of gales(I'll carry one if I have inventory spots to spare, but the blowback is rarely strong enough to justify the slot if you're having inventory issues) and stone of tremors(apparently trunk replaced it with something else? I have no idea if the replacement is actually better or just different).
Funnily enough, the bolded were all removed in .25, and I guess harps are a gooncrawl thing? So my impression of XP evocables is getting worse.

I am glad they made wands stack in inventory though, that's a great change.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 12, 2020

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

speaking of ID, can we have scrolls of amnesia ID'd when they fall out of a book?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

bees x1000 posted:

I'm not necessarily against this, but how would one ID them? I don't think identify and remove curse scrolls should stay in the game if randarts are the only thing they apply to.

I doubt everyone would enjoy this, but I think it would be cool if you pick up and artefact and you see only what base type it is, and then it has X unidentified properties. You get a random property revealed after having it in your inventory when you gain Y amount of experience.

So if the first property to get revealed is the weapon bonus, but you know it has 3 left its a gamble to equip it if you see it would massively increase your damage but maybe it still has an unrevealed Distortion brand or *Slow or something. Equipping it would fully ID, or you could just wait til everything is clear (Or ASH gives you the deets)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hrm. “ID things by having them in your inventory and gaining experience” sounds like a pretty good idea in general. Then ID and Remove Curse scrolls still have a use, for the impatient.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I think it would actually not be a bad idea to do that and keep ID scrolls in the game for specifically that purpose. ?ID has been obnoxiously more rare than things you may want to identify for many, many versions. There even used to be a learnable Identify spell they got rid of because it made things too not-tedious. A scroll specifically for identifying artifacts that is about as rare as artifacts sounds perfectly fine to me.

Plus, Remove Curse would stay useful because there may still be cursed items you want even though they're cursed. It would need adjusting curse generation a bit so that cursed equipment isn't always generated measurably worse than uncursed items, but I think this could really work out.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Ooh, a scroll of acquirement! I wonder what I'll get!

:shepicide:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Named after what you say when you put it on; Blyat!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Named after what you say when you put it on; Blyat!
If you manage to find the -5 Sword of Suka as well, I'm going to die of laughter.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I've found some artifacts that have tried really hard to be good, but just fall short:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is there a way to transfer macros from one Webtiles flavor (Gooncrawl) to another (.25)? Failing that, is there a way to dump non-standard macros so I can at least see what I've forgotten to rebind?

E: To be clear, I'm asking about macros and not the rc file.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

I've found some artifacts that have tried really hard to be good, but just fall short:

I'd wear that ring as a dedicated caster.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Is there a way to transfer macros from one Webtiles flavor (Gooncrawl) to another (.25)? Failing that, is there a way to dump non-standard macros so I can at least see what I've forgotten to rebind?

E: To be clear, I'm asking about macros and not the rc file.
Where are you playing? Macros are stored as a text file and on CKO you can get your gooncrawl macros by pressing 'm' instead of 'p' when logging in via console. Or you can find them in your player rcfiles. CKO's are all in https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/rcfiles/crawl-gooncrawl/

Unfortunately the only way to directly edit them is to log in via console and press 'm' instead of 'p' in the appropriate branch. It shouldn't be too hard to copy them manually if you only have a few, but if you have a big bunch of them it's worth logging in via console to edit the macro file directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Welp, this was a fun lil Deep Elf Conjurer

quote:

There is a faded altar of an unknown god here.
You cannot tell which god this altar belongs to. Convert to them anyway?
Trog accepts your prayer!
Trog welcomes you!
You can now go berserk at will.
Are you sure you want to abandon this character and quit the game? (Confirm with "yes".)