Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

dr cal went all out on europa 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
i really want to go back and watch this again

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Edward Mass posted:

Hey, remember that idiot who said the show was irrelevant four months after broadcast? :lol:

If only Watchmen had solved racism forever, none of the past few weeks would have had to happen.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's relevant I guess in the sense that it brought up some racial issues but it had nothing interesting to say or do with those themes in the end

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Sleeveless posted:

If only Watchmen had solved racism forever, none of the past few weeks would have had to happen.

No one said this. It seems like you're trying to sow discord rather than owe up to some bad takes?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

No one said this. It seems like you're trying to sow discord rather than owe up to some bad takes?
I think Sleeveless liked the show. It is a sarcastic response to the kinds of criticisms that amount to saying that "you shouldn't bring up racism in a work of art unless you have some kind of perfect resolution to it." When, of course, actual racism is very big and complicated and uncomfortable, so obviously you can't solve it in a TV show.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nobody has argued that either. It's almost like that's a strawman designed to avoid discussing actual criticisms of the show

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just now realized that the main antagonists were a Republican U.S. Senator and a billionaire who wanted the power of God.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nobody has argued that either. It's almost like that's a strawman designed to avoid discussing actual criticisms of the show

The "accuse someone of making a strawman argument about superhero media without your voice cracking" Challenge

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

:jerkbag:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Martman posted:

I think Sleeveless liked the show. It is a sarcastic response to the kinds of criticisms that amount to saying that "you shouldn't bring up racism in a work of art unless you have some kind of perfect resolution to it." When, of course, actual racism is very big and complicated and uncomfortable, so obviously you can't solve it in a TV show.

Find me a single person who has ever said something even close to that.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah, I don't remember anyone saying "It should have solved racism." I wish it would have explored it a little more.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After the last couple weeks but really also forever, I'd be alright with a black woman god

Let's try it out

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I think there was common pushback against the show "inserting" the subject of racism into Watchmen, and I think a lot of it ended up amounting to some weird test where you need some justification to talk about black people in an adaptation of a work already about genocide, American imperialism, deconstructing American mythology, etc.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I just think back to early episodes where a bunch of people decided it was either gonna frame the police as good guys since the bad guys are white supremacists, or was trying to show a PC-gone-mad! world with genuine discrimination against white people.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
the "good guy" is a cop btw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Killer robot posted:

I just think back to early episodes where a bunch of people decided it was either gonna frame the police as good guys since the bad guys are white supremacists, or was trying to show a PC-gone-mad! world with genuine discrimination against white people.
look, to those saying that, you may be right

But don't u really wanna rewatch it right now and see if anything changed?

Edward Mass posted:

I just now realized that the main antagonists were a Republican U.S. Senator and a billionaire who wanted the power of God.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I will always remember the wave of people that first learned about the Tulsa massacre from this show but initially thought it was just part of the show’s fiction.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

superjew posted:

I will always remember the wave of people that first learned about the Tulsa massacre from this show but initially thought it was just part of the show’s fiction.
U.S. public education is kind of poo poo, so it's hard to blame them. I honestly think that this show did a lot to raise awareness regarding that event, and whatever else people might think about the show, that's important.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

the "good guy" is a cop btw

I don't think you can say this show makes the institution of policing look very good. It does a pretty good job of demonstrating what institutional failure (vs "a few bad apples but if you kill the racist chief everything will be fine") looks like.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cjg posted:

Yeah, I don't remember anyone saying "It should have solved racism."

You don't need to remember, this thread has immortalized it for all eternity.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

You don't need to remember, this thread has immortalized it for all eternity.
this poster is very upset about blm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess this thread still hasn’t learned to ignore Sleeveless yet

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

superjew posted:

When I was in school we learned about the Tulsa race riots, no real specifics or anything in depth. Just “this was a thing that happened in the past in the civil rights movement.”

I never really heard it mentioned again (confirmation bias, I’m sure) until watchmen, and the latest news cycles.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

U.S. public education is kind of poo poo, so it's hard to blame them.

I don't think we can blame this one on the general shortcomings of the US public education system. Not this one.

An important part of the whole story here is that there was a concerted effort on behalf of the media of the day, especially but not exclusively the media in Tulsa, to quickly sweep this under the rug, lock the door to the room the rug was in, build a false wall over the door, camouflage the house, build a concrete vault that encased the house, and paint "NOTHING HAPPENED HERE!" in large, friendly letters on the vault. Then they dug up the road leading to the concrete monolith, stopped putting it on maps, and tried really hard to never talk about it again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also America has done so many lovely things it would be impossible to learn them all.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

tarlibone posted:

I don't think we can blame this one on the general shortcomings of the US public education system. Not this one.

An important part of the whole story here is that there was a concerted effort on behalf of the media of the day, especially but not exclusively the media in Tulsa, to quickly sweep this under the rug, lock the door to the room the rug was in, build a false wall over the door, camouflage the house, build a concrete vault that encased the house, and paint "NOTHING HAPPENED HERE!" in large, friendly letters on the vault. Then they dug up the road leading to the concrete monolith, stopped putting it on maps, and tried really hard to never talk about it again.

Also we're actively seeing our country trying to hide that we're nowhere near being safe to reopen during this pandemic and/or people are still protesting in the streets against police brutality.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wait until you learn about the black congressional massacre and all the other ones that history purposefully forgot.

I rewatched this show, and it was a lot better than the first time, partially helped by knowing what knowledge each character has about what was going on in rewatch. Also things like Laurie calling blackface Manhattan hot are now funny.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh poo poo, im rewatching and orville peck is playing in the background of the scene in ep2 at 30minute mark

faaack. this show just keeps on giving. i didnt know peck when this aired, but as of like 4 months ago i did. when angela is talking to topher about the world and hes playing with his manhatten set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZ2PdICo8w

what was up with that btw, why did topher have a manahtten set? i dont think it was for wide release

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol at Angela having a secret identity but talking and shouting in her normal and completely distinctive voice while dressed as Knight.

I'm on ep4 and red asking if lube man was going "tik tok, tik tok" was funny

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the idiot who said this show ceased to be relevant four months after it ended, and what I meant by that was that was that after the show ended with "black lady cop becomes new Dr. Manhattan and that's empowering," the idea that this series had anything truly profound to say about race and policing in America basically evaporated. That we now live in a world where cops are wearing masks seems more of a curious coincidence than it does eerily prescient.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm the idiot who said this show ceased to be relevant four months after it ended, and what I meant by that was that was that after the show ended with "black lady cop becomes new Dr. Manhattan and that's empowering," the idea that this series had anything truly profound to say about race and policing in America basically evaporated. That we now live in a world where cops are wearing masks seems more of a curious coincidence than it does eerily prescient.

that's still dumb, but okay

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im on the last ep and i gotta say, this series is loving balls out wacky banannas, and good

sitting in trump hellworld right now, the last episode seems like a pleasant dream to the physocsis i have to live in every day. at least people get their cummupences. the double tripple quadrupple twist at the end was good. it didnt just peak at ep 6 and then fall. it had a certain peak at 6, and then a comic book movie story telling peak at 8/9

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don't think the story needed Ozymandias, but I love that they went balls-out making him a campy lunatic and endlessly poo poo on everything he does and is in the comic. A story without him and Dr. Manhattan would probably have satisfied me more, but those last episodes go to some insane places because they're there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What show maintains relevance other than a few truly unique outliers? The Sopranos is relevant 20 years later, GoT was forgotten in less than a year, nobody really talks about Breaking Bad, yet Seinfeld and Friends are still culturally relevant. This is a metric for nothing, really; Watchmen wasn't a timeless masterpiece, very few shows are.

The truth is that with the inclusion of the Tulsa massacre and the emphasis on cops and race relations Watchmen is a lot more relevant than MOST shows could ever claim to be, so really, of all criticisms against this show (like, a disjointed narrative that drops a major plot point half way through the season), this one seems least... relevant.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Breaking bad is in all of our hearts, just cuz we ain't talking about it all the time doesn't mean it isn't on our mind. It completely shaped stuff and stuck but it like a quiet contemplation

Better call Saul is really good too.
What I'm saying is your metric is hosed up and I don't buy into it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Meh, I'm just saying nobody really talks about BB that much, even when people discuss Better Caul Saul they do not really contextualize it as that BB prequel, I'm not saying BB wasn't awesome. it was.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

‘Watchmen’ Writer on Trump in Tulsa, Bad Cops, and America’s White Supremacy Problem

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Free for Juneteenth weekend on hbo.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

...nobody really talks about Breaking Bad, yet Seinfeld and Friends are still culturally relevant.

I think Breaking Bad is still “culturally relevant,” it’s just such an individual character story that it’s hard to connect it to the current moment, which is so focused on systemic realities. Something like Watchmen or The Wire is going to feel important now for obvious textual reasons, just as Handmaid’s Tale did in 2016.

But BB still comes up all the time. It’s a modern take on some pretty evergreen literary themes, like hubris or ambition or the rise and fall of a King, so there’s a canon-building aspect to it (“Walter White” is an allusion to those ideas now, like “MacBeth.”) And it’s an excellent exploration of toxic masculinity and male fragility, which are specifically relevant in the current zeitgeist. Think of how “Heisenberg” has also entered language, as a shorthand for someone’s dark, violent inner self or a kind of egotist fantasy of masculine competence.

“This loving incel thinks he’s Heisenberg,” is a sentence that actually makes sense in 2020. That’s a rare impact for a TV show to have.