Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nastyman posted:

What do you spend your money on

Candles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Splicer posted:

A dice set's going to cost 5 dollars for something quality but boring or 15/16 dollars if you get something fancy. I've had the same few sets of dice for over a decade but if I'm hosting I've dropped more than that in a day on food ingredients.
An average-but-decent set runs about $7-10 these days, a nice set about $25, a fancy set $25-50+. It's definitely possible to buy a ton of dice sets and not spend that much money, but it isn't as cheap as it was because merchants have definitely learned to exploit dice goblins like that OP.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Yeah alright, fair enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

An average-but-decent set runs about $7-10 these days, a nice set about $25, a fancy set $25-50+. It's definitely possible to buy a ton of dice sets and not spend that much money, but it isn't as cheap as it was because merchants have definitely learned to exploit dice goblins like that OP.

Yeah people can absolutely spend absurd amounts of money on dice if they set their mind to it. OP seems to have set their mind to it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Vib Rib posted:

"Without law, the strong survive"
As opposed to with our current laws which are well known for adequately protecting the weak and vulnerable, and oops we just rolled back trans protections and broad discrimination laws.

Have you seen the people at the top? Tell me what features Trump and Elon possess that you would consider strong besides odor and apathy? The current laws absolutely protect the weakest of the weak. Don't mistake marginalized with weak.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

scumaliom posted:

I like Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd and Spaced (probably in that order) and it's totally possible for those to be good shows and for their writer to be an insane transphobic weirdo.

For the record Graham Linehan wasnt involved in Spaced, at all, on any level. It was written entirely by Jessica Stevenson and Simon Pegg. I think the poster who brought it up was referring to "Vulva", David Walliams character in one episode (I didnt have this information at my fingertips, but Wikipedia tells me it was season 1, episode 3, "Art"). In fact, episode summary from Wikipedia:

quote:

After accepting some cheap speed from some violently friendly Scottish blokes, Tim has spent all night fighting zombies (or, more accurately, hallucinating while playing Resident Evil 2) and Mike has somehow managed to get to Sheffield on the Tube. Daisy has a job interview at a classy women's magazine ("Flaps") and Brian has an invitation to a new art show by Vulva (David Walliams), his former partner and non-gender-specific-ex-chaste-heterosexual-lover. This causes much angst and feelings of inferiority all around. "Girl Power!" fails to impress the magazine editors, Brian's much-practiced air of indifference fails to impress Vulva, and Tim's Twiglets allergy and hallucinations of zombies leads to Vulva getting a much-deserved punch in the face. The episode concludes with Daisy's idea for performance art, a parody of Bruce Nauman's work "Clown Torture", which leads Tim to remark that it is obviously harder than it looks.

The Vulva character (who is obviously written to be an insufferably pretentious more-bohemian-than-you art snob) who identifies as "non gender specific" getting punched in the face isnt, in retrospect, a good look at all (and for the record the "much deserved" by whoever wrote the summary is very much also not great). At the time I didnt give it much thought myself because a) The character is written as insufferable, not because of their gender status but because they are pretentious as all hell and because of the way they treat Brian, their ex b) they dont get punched because of their gender identity (its mentioned early in the episode and IIRC the characters just accept it) but because Tim is hallucinating zombies due to sleep deprivation and twiglets, c) 21 years ago I'm not sure I'd heard the term "non-gender-specific" as applied to a person before and it didnt really mean much to me and d) Look, I'm just always open to seeing David Walliams being punched in the face, the smug prick that he is. But 21 years later looking back... Its a distinctly iffy moment in what I still think is overall good show tbh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

d3lness posted:

Have you seen the people at the top? Tell me what features Trump and Elon possess that you would consider strong besides odor and apathy? The current laws absolutely protect the weakest of the weak. Don't mistake marginalized with weak.
I think it's more that once you step back from the economic hierarchy you can see that the world is still fundamentally the way it was 5,000 years+ ago-- if you're born naturally bigger/stronger and are into exerting that will by forming a coalition with other muscular aggressors, you are the highest natural class and will be protected by those most like you, and the economically insulated are more like tumors.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I think it's more that once you step back from the economic hierarchy you can see that the world is still fundamentally the way it was 5,000 years+ ago-- if you're born naturally bigger/stronger and are into exerting that will by forming a coalition with other muscular aggressors, you are the highest natural class and will be protected by those most like you, and the economically insulated are more like tumors.

This is effectively saying "if you ignore social constructs, the world hasn't changed since before social constructs existed".

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

mind the walrus posted:

Modern comforts have made me forget how one used to run and hide when roving jocks would gather and form a Football Congress to hunt for lunch money.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

you know guns exist now right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

On the subject of people who know nothing about the human body:

Mate if you want to eat your own jizz just do it, you don't need the backstory.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

d3lness posted:

Wild birds are pretty weak and Trump just stripped protections away from them.

But really applying an oversimplified Darwinian strong vs weak standard to individual humans is dumb and useless. Our power has always been our skill at collective action, and a powerful person is someone who can command/compel a bunch of people to do something. In that context marginalization is weakness because it takes people's ability to appeal to other people and build collectives to see to their own needs and interests.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Biplane posted:

They seem like an idiot though.

Aramoro posted:

Are you sure about that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah people can absolutely spend absurd amounts of money on dice if they set their mind to it. OP seems to have set their mind to it.

I am a dice collector and that post was made in a group for people who collect dice. Maybe it is because I am biased but I really don't understand how the OP could be considered the idiot by wanting to use different dice for different characters. Like, it's just an extension of each of the characters and is a way to make each one more distinct from one another. If they were posting that they were in debt and were buying expensive dice instead of taking care of their daughter, then yeah they'd be the idiot, but as it is they're just having fun with their hobby and their mom thinks that them having fun means that they must have a mental health condition.

e: also not an idiot but a semi-relevant vid about dice that imo is just a neat vid about the mathematics behind the shapes and creation of each individual die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzg_M8pQms

FirstAidKite has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Jun 13, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

People get really superstitious about dice in D&D. No judgment intended, it's a human nature thing.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

RoboRodent posted:

People get really superstitious about dice in D&D. No judgment intended, it's a human nature thing.

Some dice are just racist :shrug:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Piss Meridian posted:

Some dice are just racist :shrug:

D&D is inherently racist, that's why you need to select some especially racist dice to play it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

some dude, probably european, certainly white posted:

Honestly, I think that Africa has already way too many nations and is way too hospitable to everyone if we take into account that it wasn't until mid 1800, early 190/ that Africa was fully "discovered". A point can be made that this is also the case for portions of the Americas and I'd agree with that. But, anyway, I digress.

Game studio Paradox makes the historical strategy games that your lamest friend plays, and their forums are the racist gift that keeps on giving.

This post was made in response to the idea that western Africa should get more flavour and mechanics and nations so players can have as much fun starting there as if they started in Europe.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jun 13, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is the opinion you will find more and more the more hardcore a historical strategy game is.

So I don’t get the dig at paradox considering it’s the most mainstream of the genre.

Wait is this a hipster thing

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

GreenMetalSun posted:

white people trying to reinvite tcm and chi. never gets old.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the opinion you will find more and more the more hardcore a historical strategy game is.

So I don’t get the dig at paradox considering it’s the most mainstream of the genre.

I mean, the fact that it's a Paradox player explains all of that. Like you said, Paradox are a big purveyor of that kinda game these days, which means their fanbases have a TON of these sorts of people.

Hell, the only thing I was going to add was that Paradox are generally a cool company that disagrees with these sorts of people, they are so much cooler than you'd expect from their fanbase.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

GreenMetalSun posted:

soul is stored in the balls

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
isn't this what jo crystals are for

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

I mean, the fact that it's a Paradox player explains all of that. Like you said, Paradox are a big purveyor of that kinda game these days, which means their fanbases have a TON of these sorts of people.

Hell, the only thing I was going to add was that Paradox are generally a cool company that disagrees with these sorts of people, they are so much cooler than you'd expect from their fanbase.

I wasn't really trying to dunk on Paradox so much as giving context to the many people who don't see "you can play as the Wettin dukes of Saxony in 1444" as a selling point for the silly video games

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not a dig at Paradox, it's their forum's fans.

CK2 forums are fuckin poison, man. I loved every time they put out an expansion that caused their forum to predictably explode. RRRR GENDER EQUALITY OPTIONS! RRRR JEWISH CHARACTERS AND EVENTS!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's not a dig at Paradox, it's their forum's fans.

CK2 forums are fuckin poison, man. I loved every time they put out an expansion that caused their forum to predictably explode. RRRR GENDER EQUALITY OPTIONS! RRRR JEWISH CHARACTERS AND EVENTS!

They should announce an expansion pack that just adds a ruler named A. Whiteman (with a false historical background that falls apart the instant anyone researches it at all), who has max stats in everything, and is available to rule any country for campaigns that start in 1488. Then compare the number of complaints received to the average number of complaints for the ones that added more women/Jews/etc.

e: Also, a Venn diagram of those complaint categories and forums users.

Hello Sailor has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jun 13, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wasn't really trying to dunk on Paradox so much as giving context to the many people who don't see "you can play as the Wettin dukes of Saxony in 1444" as a selling point for the silly video games

That really isn't a fair assessment either since the real selling point is "you can play as a Satanist Patrician of Venice in 900 whose great-great-great-grandchild will be the anti-christ"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MizPiz posted:

That really isn't a fair assessment either since the real selling point is "you can play as a Satanist Patrician of Venice in 900 whose great-great-great-grandchild will be the anti-christ"

that's historically accurate though?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

They should announce an expansion pack that just adds a ruler named A. Whiteman (with a false historical background that falls apart the instant anyone researches it at all), who has max stats in everything, and is available to rule any country for campaigns that start in 1488. Then compare the number of complaints received to the average number of complaints for the ones that added more women/Jews/etc.

e: Also, a Venn diagram of those complaint categories and forums users.

imho, they should not, in fact, do that

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

snergle posted:

white people trying to reinvite tcm and chi. never gets old.

Uh, I don't know what tcm is but I had no idea chi was so semen-centric.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

traditional chinese medicine. acupuncture, five-element theory, drinking warm water, etc.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There’s one Paradox LP on these dead gay forums where the pope is a child, and another where an Aztec invasion of Europe made Catholicism devolve into a cannibal cult.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TinTower posted:

There’s one Paradox LP on these dead gay forums where the pope is a child, and another where an Aztec invasion of Europe made Catholicism devolve into a cannibal cult.

Link?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kid Pope
Cannibal Popes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TinTower posted:

Devolve?

Anyway I'm not saying that the Paradox devs are defibately goons but we're where they'd post if they posted. All coolness reflects back on SA, which of course is but a pale shadow of cool compared to Cspam.

Also spending money on dice for every character is my new proletariat / bougaguise determination. :ussr:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

T-man posted:

Devolve?

Anyway I'm not saying that the Paradox devs are defibately goons but we're where they'd post if they posted. All coolness reflects back on SA, which of course is but a pale shadow of cool compared to Cspam.

Multiple Paradox staff post on these very forums, and at least one actual dev was hired from here.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/conspiraboomers/status/1271720968516521984?s=20

Having sex with your wife is like the ultimate cuck behavior.

:wrong:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I need a verson of :eyepop: that just slowly extends off the edge of the window, the monitor, then through the wall and out into space.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Grateful and blessed to have been abandoned by my father when I was a child

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

T-man posted:

Devolve?

I mean, devolved from ritual symbolic cannibalism to literal actual cannibalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TinTower posted:

I mean, devolved from ritual symbolic cannibalism to literal actual cannibalism.

That sounds more like evolution than devolution.