Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I feel like a lot of the disdain or mockery for a lot of the punk/goth/emo/nu-metal stuff around that time was more over how over-exaggerated it came across as. I dunno about MCR specifically, but I think songs like Linkin Park's "Crawling" or Simple Plan's "How Could This Happen to Me" still get used as punchlines for mocking super-edgy, mopey characters in fiction. :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is appropriate that we are still talking about noted Good Band Green Day as I just got summoned to jury duty and postponed it cause they wanted me to come in on my birthday. Wake Me Up When September Ends indeed.

Dawgstar posted:

Was this the one where paranormal investigation was one of the choices?

The expansion itself has brought a world of bugs to the, well, Sims 4 world. That generally happens with a new Sims expansion but this one is nuts.

I dunno, I was watching somebody play Sims 2 and I would kill to have actual gameplay in the Sims back.

Its really hard to find the votes for this pack cause the pack itself has a voting system and all google search results is about that :v: But I do know back when laundry stuff was put in people voted for that over other things like canning and making preserves. Not too exciting but certainly more exciting then doing laundry.

This guy made a few videos showing things in sims 2 that aren't in later games and it boggles my mind what wasn't put in later games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzHdwgjS0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPUgE_MOow

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

NOFX also felt like they were being gatekeep-y towards what was and wasn't punk. I mean, I was at the time as well, but I also grew out of it.
and they suck live

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Wrong thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NOFX is also really fuckin weird about women

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Alhazred posted:

To me it seems that point was that the more effective and well made it was then the more sales and playtime the songs got.
That's not the read I got on it at all, it talked about certain songs being 'effective and well made' but only in terms of them acheiving mainstream success. I don't think the argument was being made that mainstream success is the be all and end all of artistic achievement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leal posted:

Its really hard to find the votes for this pack cause the pack itself has a voting system and all google search results is about that :v: But I do know back when laundry stuff was put in people voted for that over other things like canning and making preserves. Not too exciting but certainly more exciting then doing laundry.

This guy made a few videos showing things in sims 2 that aren't in later games and it boggles my mind what wasn't put in later games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzHdwgjS0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPUgE_MOow

Good heavens. I think the only reason I've played Sims 4 as much as I have is because I never played Sims 2. And it's so weird that even in the Sims 3 just the freaking pizza looks better than in the Sims 4. C'mon, guys. Oh, wait, EA. This will fall on the deafest of ears. 'Not being able to step over a pet's toy ball' just wasn't in the budget for 4 I guess.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I hate that Crawling in my Skin by Linkin Park is just a meme/punchline to so many people because the song honestly perfectly encapsulates the pain, fear, angst, rage, and existential terror of gender dysphoria imo. :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr Phillby posted:

That's not the read I got on it at all, it talked about certain songs being 'effective and well made' but only in terms of them acheiving mainstream success. I don't think the argument was being made that mainstream success is the be all and end all of artistic achievement.
Yeah, the people who predicted 'great art would come of this' were looking back to the chart-topping protest songs of previous eras, so chart-topping is the implicit measuring stick by which the new protest songs must be evaluated to establish whether or not we did, indeed, get the compensation prize foreseen.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

NOFX got kicked off a festival named after one of their own songs because they made jokes about the Las Vegas shooting victims IN VEGAS.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Rantasmo is live with a fundraiser (featuring Dan Olson, Calluna, Dominic Noble, Innuendo Studios, Matt Baume, and others) while he finishes Dream Daddy: https://www.twitch.tv/rantasmo

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

and they suck live

How the gently caress can you be a punk band called no fx and suck live.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A Sometimes Food posted:

(it stands for no loving straight edge)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

idk man, that's just what i hear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sometimes I am a sucker for list videos

like this one, "which cartoon characters would survive The Purge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHxtqLiMsLA&hd=1

"Pooh Bear absolutely dies hour 1. He's got a rumbly in his tumbly, and that rumbly is a bullet wound"

"his rumbly tumbly is gonna give his position away"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's something really funny about the phrase "Stitch wins The Purge"

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

idk man, that's just what i hear.

they've actually gotten worse live

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I tried to get into nofx several times because they're one of my dad's favorite all time bands, but man I've just had to accept that they're impenetrable for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

There's something really funny about the phrase "Stitch wins The Purge"
this whole thing is great.

"Peter Pan? I think Peter Pan dies"

"CAN peter pan die?" *googles if peter pan can die*

"wikipedia says, Peter Pan is prepared for death, and death does not scare him"

and peter pan instantly shoots up the rankings from bottom to near the top

just the stupidest most brainless bickering about ranking nonsense, I will eat that poo poo up all day as long as they're doing it in an entertaining way

they've done a few others too, they're equally silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWDHl6h7cqw&hd=1

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Not gonna lie, you had me frantically googling that to see if it was true.

Dias posted:

Dookie is still really fun and Basket Case is a bop, I don't know what you guys are going on about.
Dookie came out when I was convinced Music Has To Mean Something (i.e. I was in high school and insufferable about music) and disliked it because blah blah punk is The Clash, Television, Wire and important bands you've never heard of.

When I got over myself I came back because that album is almost wall-to-wall tight songs. I'm still partial to "She" as my fave of theirs.

As for American Idiot, I still think Jesus of Suburbia is a great song, for all of its excesses.

watho posted:

don’t lump in vocaloid music as a concept with mid-2000s pop punk

How about Vocaloid shoegaze, something that is better than it has any right to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9P9Rc9VTHA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Boulevard of Broken Dreams makes me want to die

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
American Idiot is (musically) a good album to me. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but there was enough thought and care put into returning motifs and a clean production and it’s just a good, breezy pop-punk album. But the lyrics might as well be in Dutch for me at this point because I outgrew its “messages” before I left high school and haven’t thought about what the songs are trying to say since.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Defunctland: The History of Coney Island

The ending of this video got me to look up who Robert Moses was. Jesus Christ, what a profoundly awful human being. I've heard stories that Manhattan had serious crime and urban decay problems around the 70's-80's, is he the reason why? It sure sounds like his policies didn't do any favors for the Bronx or Coney Island.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Defunctland: The History of Coney Island

The ending of this video got me to look up who Robert Moses was. Jesus Christ, what a profoundly awful human being. I've heard stories that Manhattan had serious crime and urban decay problems around the 70's-80's, is he the reason why? It sure sounds like his policies didn't do any favors for the Bronx or Coney Island.

If you’ve got a good amount of time to kill, Robert Caro’s The Power Broker goes over what Moses did to New York. Long story short, manipulated laws, became entrenched, and basically called the shots for everything that got built from the 30s to the 60s. Spoiler alert - he did not like or help any poor people with his policies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1272047448752603136?s=20

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm extremely ready for the longass hbomberguy RWBY video. here's hoping it mentions how they literally just stole a deviantart member's 3d anime hair model and then threatened them with legal action when called out on it, forcing the artist to close their account and hide because they're just a random small artist and didn't have the funding for a legal battle over anime hair

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RWBY good, RT sucks.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I watched RT when I was a kid, sneaking in Red vs Blue videos when my parents weren't around. I really loved the first five seasons, but after that I steadily lost interest. I watched two seasons of RWBY and did not like it at all, and after that I distanced myself from RT content. Heard it's gone even more to poo poo then, especially since I'm in Austin. I've actually run into some of the RT guys around town several times over the years.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

These people have an absolutely insane view of their own combat skills. There's like one character on the list that couldn't take 3 nerds easily (Chibi-Robo, Cooking Mama would beat their rear end).

They give themselves a 100% chance to beat Little Mac! what

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 14, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Beefstew posted:

I watched RT when I was a kid, sneaking in Red vs Blue videos when my parents weren't around. I really loved the first five seasons, but after that I steadily lost interest. I watched two seasons of RWBY and did not like it at all, and after that I distanced myself from RT content. Heard it's gone even more to poo poo then, especially since I'm in Austin. I've actually run into some of the RT guys around town several times over the years.
red vs blue became bad over time. rwby was bad from the start. it's not like, an action movie that is dumb but at least has good action scenes so you can turn your brain off, because the action is also bad. red vs blue had become bad and overwrought before they decided to bring on animators to make custom 3d fight scenes with awful weightless unimpactful choreography. rwby started that way because it's what happens when you decide to make a show around that kind of content

Casey Finnigan posted:

These people have an absolutely insane view of their own combat skills. There's like one character on the list that couldn't take 3 nerds easily (Chibi-Robo, Cooking Mama would beat their rear end).

it's the joke but also I'm a little annoyed that no one acknowledges that fox mccloud is a trained mercenary with a laser gun that kills people for money

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

it's not like, an action movie that is dumb but at least has good action scenes so you can turn your brain off, because the action is also bad.
oh man, when are we going to get videos about bloodshot

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

There's no way those three could clap Mario.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Quinton had to reupload his magical Garfield vacation video after a copyright takedown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG6y6FkMEQ4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casey Finnigan posted:

based off of his smash iteration, I can see it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

IronicDongz posted:

red vs blue became bad over time. rwby was bad from the start. it's not like, an action movie that is dumb but at least has good action scenes so you can turn your brain off, because the action is also bad. red vs blue had become bad and overwrought before they decided to bring on animators to make custom 3d fight scenes with awful weightless unimpactful choreography. rwby started that way because it's what happens when you decide to make a show around that kind of content
Yeah, those were pretty much my feelings. RWBY just took the worst aspects of post-season 5 RvB.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Beefstew posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a RvB episode in close to a decade, and I am aware this could very well be nostalgia and maybe the early stuff doesn't actually hold up at all. But I remember RvB being really good for the first 5-6 seasons when it was charming machinima project that was 95% dumb jokes, 5% plot. Then they started focusing way more on serious plots and brought in Oum to do bombastic animated fight scenes for them, and it started to feel really trite. I checked out around 2011 but according to Wikpedia there's been eight seasons since so idk maybe the quality changes? I'm also not trying to poo poo talk Oum at all - dude was loving phenomenal at what he did - but it just didn't feel in the spirit of RvB which was about a group of dipshits trapped in a canyon fighting over nothing, not a drama/action story trying to tie into the actual Halo canon.

The whole RT situation just makes me feel really sad, even though I haven't really followed any of their stuff in a long time. I remember listening to their early RvB commentary where they told story about how they found out Bungie knew about them and were mortified they'd get C&D'd, but instead Bungie was all "this is hilarious please make more" and RT's desire for better machinima fidelity lead to stuff like the Forge. I also fondly remember the other machinima stuff they made in Sims 2 and FEAR. To find out that they've since sprawled out into some massive media conglomerate that enables harassment is depressing as hell.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

They instantly realize that he could probably take on 3 people at once

Like, it happens a split second after they place him there!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Saagonsa posted:

They instantly realize that he could probably take on 3 people at once

Like, it happens a split second after they place him there!

I'm offended that they thought they could take the WVBA Champ for even that amount of time.

(I'm still disappointed at how Smash screwed Little Mac over, I would have liked to main him if he didn't suck)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is interesting that RWBY could become a hit by running off the spirit of Dead Fantasy despite adding a terrible plot and only having terrible fight scenes. Also everything about RT is awful now, what with the Mica Burton thing and while they did fire him before anybody if you want to go back and rewatch RWBY you still get to hear Vic "Frosted Tips Sex Pest" Mignogna as Crow Spelled With A Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

It is interesting that RWBY could become a hit by running off the spirit of Dead Fantasy despite adding a terrible plot and only having terrible fight scenes. Also everything about RT is awful now, what with the Mica Burton thing and while they did fire him before anybody if you want to go back and rewatch RWBY you still get to hear Vic "Frosted Tips Sex Pest" Mignogna as Crow Spelled With A Q.

A lot of the founders seem to be bailing too. Burnie Burns jumped ship recently.