Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It was almost bearable on the GBA games since those cartridges practically had negative load times, but now in addition to longer load times the games also have like five times as many menus to go through before you start the level.

I found Awakening & Fates surprisingly snappy to get back into after a soft reset, at least.
Sometimes too snappy, I'd go into the wrong file and have to do it again

Awakening's "droplet" sounds are also etched into my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm surprised they haven't just made a new mode that automatically fails the map if any playable unit dies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

It was almost bearable on the GBA games since those cartridges practically had negative load times, but now in addition to longer load times the games also have like five times as many menus to go through before you start the level.
where's the part where they added menus? the only thing you do on the main menu in literally every fire emblem is choose load game and then your save (which by the way is automatically higlighted for you in 3H so you just mash A). the problem with 3H is that maps take a while to load, but after that you again just press start to go.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hellioning posted:

I'm surprised they haven't just made a new mode that automatically fails the map if any playable unit dies.

They have, but it's in Fire Emblem Heroes, not the mainline games.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

where's the part where they added menus? the only thing you do on the main menu in literally every fire emblem is choose load game and then your save (which by the way is automatically higlighted for you in 3H so you just mash A). the problem with 3H is that maps take a while to load, but after that you again just press start to go.

You have to make sure you hit Restart Chapter and not just mash A because mashing A will bring you to the exact point you soft reset from in the GBA games.

PoR also has a soft reset but the only time it saves you is that you don’t have to go through the health and safety disclaimer and all the logos. With RD I think you have to hit home and choose reset, I don’t think there’s a soft reset combo that brings you right to title.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The time saved by RD's battle save outweighs the time spent by splash title screens.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

1234567890num posted:

The time saved by RD's battle save outweighs the time spent by splash title screens.
But if you're my wife it's negated by the extra hour spent savescumming disarms so you can steal Storm Swords and Short Axes in Part III.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

without fail, battle saves in RD always end up in making me savescum levels for characters I like. capped speed micaiah? don't mind if i do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just started doing a "only deploy girls when possible" run in PoR out of boredom, but I finally got the chapter where you can actually choose deployment and, well

not so sure about my chances on this one

I guess i've at least got all the chokepoints covered?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You also get one more girl this chapter at least?

Well, good luck to the Mia corner.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I mean, Vantage never gets better than it does in PoR, so she's got that going for her at least?

EDIT: Who's generally perceived as the better swordsman in PoR? I've personally never had a bad Mia whereas Zihark has mostly fought me every step of the way whenever I've played the game.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 13, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well turns out that completing the chapter is pretty trivial actually, because the left side has an archer that always moves first in the unit order, and if i arrange the enemies correctly he'll step up to the front line uselessly and block everyone else from doing anything. Buuuut, that's the side with Ilyana! And i'm not about to give up an actual usable unit on this gimmick run that easily.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Well turns out that completing the chapter is pretty trivial actually, because the left side has an archer that always moves first in the unit order, and if i arrange the enemies correctly he'll step up to the front line uselessly and block everyone else from doing anything. Buuuut, that's the side with Ilyana! And i'm not about to give up an actual usable unit on this gimmick run that easily.

this might be a silly question but are you using ike? i did a women only run of 7 a couple years ago and definitely allowed myself to use eliwood and hector in the first few chapters just for the sake of my sanity

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

I mean, Vantage never gets better than it does in PoR, so she's got that going for her at least?

EDIT: Who's generally perceived as the better swordsman in PoR? I've personally never had a bad Mia whereas Zihark has mostly fought me every step of the way whenever I've played the game.

I hear most people say Zihark but I always end up using Mia because I like her better and like using female units so shrug.

She tends to turn out great for me, except for my currently PoR run where she’s just ok because she hasn’t hit her str growth quite enough while not missing it enough to be useless.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Looper posted:

this might be a silly question but are you using ike? i did a women only run of 7 a couple years ago and definitely allowed myself to use eliwood and hector in the first few chapters just for the sake of my sanity
like i said, i only care about deployment. I can't get rid of ike so of course i'm using him (and anyone else that has to come along into a chapter.) I've never cared for the style of challenge run where you have to awkwardly ignore already present units.

Also: i have no idea how i would beat the game if I didn't use Ike

In other news, managed to do that chapter much easier than I expected, honestly. Titania is so good that she has enough time to actually clear two sides completely by herself.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

like i said, i only care about deployment. I can't get rid of ike so of course i'm using him (and anyone else that has to come along into a chapter.) I've never cared for the style of challenge run where you have to awkwardly ignore already present units.

Also: i have no idea how i would beat the game if I didn't use Ike

In other news, managed to do that chapter much easier than I expected, honestly. Titania is so good that she has enough time to actually clear two sides completely by herself.

Can Ena damage Ashnard? Or can only Nasir do that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whether she can or not, it doesn't really matter because even Nasir can't handle ashnard by himself and Ena has worse stats than him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Zihark is slightly less RNG-vulnerable, so there's that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still going through FE7 my first run, I really liked the bit where Eliwood & crew need to get to dread island and Lynn refuses to go on the ship with the pirates because bandits/criminals killed her parents. That added a nice bit of character even though she does end up going on the pirate ship and a pirate joins your squad. I never got any subtle things like that about Chrom's character in Awakening.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ulio posted:

Still going through FE7 my first run, I really liked the bit where Eliwood & crew need to get to dread island and Lynn refuses to go on the ship with the pirates because bandits/criminals killed her parents. That added a nice bit of character even though she does end up going on the pirate ship and a pirate joins your squad. I never got any subtle things like that about Chrom's character in Awakening.
The amount of characterization and background information that they managed to cram into that tiny little cartridge is insane. I honestly think you could make the argument that FE7's characters are more well-defined and fleshed-out than 3H's. Too bad about all of that poo poo being gated behind supports and baffling sidequest requirements.

In related news, my Raven tragically did not reach 20 Str/Skill/Spd by level 16. He's only at 19 Str and 20 Skill and Spd. :saddowns:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 13, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I love it when they give you a character in one of the last chapters in the game and the only way to know anything about him is to use a mediocre bishop you have no attachment to and have them support with some other characters that you may or may not have used and already have supports for.

Renault was a great idea.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

To be fair, the fun parts of his character are locked behind DLC content. Then again, I like both Chrom and Lucina, even if they're both kinda vanilla compared to other lords.

That said, Lyndis, Hector and Eliwood are fantastic MC's character-wise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Renault has A rank staves and enough magic to use fortify well so he earns his place

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Amppelix posted:

Oh right, that's how the PoR speedrun handles that chapter. I forgot about that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Whether she can or not, it doesn't really matter because even Nasir can't handle ashnard by himself and Ena has worse stats than him.

She can do it if you give her Resolve + Wrath. Not as good as Ike but she 2HKOs with Wrath crits and doesn't get doubled even at base. Give her a couple levels of bonus experience and she can even double and theoretically ORKO. Second form is a bit rougher but doable plus you have the Laguz Royal to help out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

To be fair, the fun parts of his character are locked behind DLC content. Then again, I like both Chrom and Lucina, even if they're both kinda vanilla compared to other lords.

That said, Lyndis, Hector and Eliwood are fantastic MC's character-wise.

I think Chrom's arc is pretty good even in the core game. His whole bit where he hates his dad and likes how his sister runs things while being forced to grapple with the fact he's not like her and never can be. He's a Hector style lord who spends most of the game coping with the fact he's way better at fighting than diplomacy, and it's neat. The arguable climax of the arc is DLC too, but it's in the free DLC, so that's easy enough to handle.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

Hell, Lucina is more or less the same. She can play-pretend/call herself Marth all she wants (even have her Japanese VA voice child!Marth in FEH), but she has more in common with the "rowdy"-style lord, even if it's through no fault of her own. I think she has more similitudes with Seliph than with Marth himself, as far as "level-headed"-style lords go.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I remember appreciating Chrom a lot more on my last replay, and also appreciating Walhart basically being Chrom with more scruples than his father but less scruples than he currently has. He's meant to be a mirror or foil. Also good ol' power of friendship

Chrom getting "Thief" as one of his side classes is also kind of interesting. Rowdy boy!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Chrom doesn't get Thief though. Archer and Cavalier. I always try to make Kellam a thief but I rarely put in the work to make him useful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How many years later and I'm still declaring it bullshit that chrom cant be a barbarian.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

daermon posted:

Chrom doesn't get Thief though. Archer and Cavalier. I always try to make Kellam a thief but I rarely put in the work to make him useful.

I suppose its at least a little fitting to forget Kellam so hard I put his class on Chrom

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rannum posted:

I remember appreciating Chrom a lot more on my last replay, and also appreciating Walhart basically being Chrom with more scruples than his father but less scruples than he currently has. He's meant to be a mirror or foil. Also good ol' power of friendship
I kinda wonder if Walhart feels responsible about his ancestors' big fuckup.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wark Say posted:

If anything I bet he feels Rudolf was a failure and Alm didn't go far enough in his methods

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So adding Roy to Awakening as a proper character has gone swimmingly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rannum posted:

If anything I bet he feels Rudolf was a failure and Alm didn't go far enough in his methods
:raise: Alm: "We literally killed a god, beat the seven hells out of another one enough to send it to sleep for a millenia..."
:) Celica: "... Not to mention establishing a continent-wide kingdom that enjoyed a mostly-peaceful period that lasted for almost as long!"
:byodood: Walhart: NOT ENOUGH!
Alm & Celica: :cripes: :sigh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wark Say posted:

:raise: Alm: "We literally killed a god, beat the seven hells out of another one enough to send it to sleep for a millenia..."
:) Celica: "... Not to mention establishing a continent-wide kingdom that enjoyed a mostly-peaceful period that lasted for almost as long!"
:byodood: Walhart: NOT ENOUGH!
Alm & Celica: :cripes: :sigh:

Walhart: if :clap: you :clap: dont :clap: conquer the world :clap: you're :clap: doing :clap: it :clap: wrong :clap: :clap: :clap:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wark Say posted:

You know, I've come around to the mindset that Walhart is not related to Alm and Celica, but rather, inspired by them (and later Chrom and Robin). One of Chrom's plot threads is his doubt about living up to Emmeryn's image of a just ruler, and Walhart is meant to show what Chrom could be if he didn't have the right people around them. Walhart represents everything Chrom isn't: he's ruthless, shows no mercy, and demands his followers show strength above all. In other words, the perfect ruler that Duma would be proud of. But, you'll notice something that Walhart doesn't do that you'd expect from someone with his personality: brag about his heritage. If he truly was descended from the saviors of Valentia, you'd think he'd be plastering that information across Valm in order to legitimize his reign even further, as it'd be a sign of how strong Walhart is. But he doesn't, despite growing up in the shadow of Rigel Castle and all of its history.

In my opinion, Walhart is a trendchaser. While his conquest begins at least some time before Awakening starts, Walhart definitely refines his strategy after hearing about Chrom's success out east. Excellus, for instance, is a very recent addition to Walhart's ranks by the time Act 2 rolls around, suggesting that Walhart decided that he'd need a prominent tactician (in the sense of being present at strategy meetings and so on) to match Robin's abilities. But going back to Walhart himself, growing up around Rigel Castle more than likely meant he had access to whatever history from Alm's time remained. And as Awakening quietly points out (and SoV provides extra context), Valentia did not remain a united kingdom after Alm and Celica assume the dual role of ruler nor did Valentia avoid further catastrophe. The area that is Zofia Castle in Alm's time is now the Demon's Ingle in Chrom's time, suggesting that a massive volcanic eruption and other seismic upheaval tore apart Valentia in the time between the two games, to the point the continent is outright renamed to Valm in Chrom's time. Thus, Walhart is born into a world that is divided and broken (with Walhart's region being nothing more than a ghost of what Rigel once was) with a history that showed the continent was once unified as one nation thanks to a brave boy and girl who rose from nothing to unite the continent. Ultimately, Walhart ties back into Chrom's struggles; Walhart isn't simply "what Chrom could be if he made the wrong choices", he is effectively what it looks like when you fail to understand the person you're looking up to. If Walhart truly was Alm's descendant, I believe that he most certainly would have been told the full story of Alm and Celica's journey, and ultimately become an ally to Chrom (or at least understand Chrom's situation better). But, that's not Walhart does; he instead fails to understand why Alm was important to the continent, and decides to replicate the myth of Alm as this grand conqueror of a broken nation rather than live up to Alm's image...as a just ruler who had the right people around him to shape Alm into a legendary king.

The problem, I believe, is that Awakening fumbles the execution. I think Walhart was meant to be much more defined than what made it into the final game. Instead, what could have been a true dark parallel to how Archanea transformed over 2000 years, is instead flat and underdeveloped. So all that's left is this theory about whether or not Walhart is related to Alm and Celica, and a weak middle act that really needed more time to flesh things out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Walhart not being their descendent is an interesting theory. The fact they never directly draw the connection is something I hadn't noticed but does hold up. Walhart gets no special dialog with Alm in the DLC battles and even Heroes didn't make a connection. I don't...think Accordion of Valentia brought up the connection either? Which seems relevant if so.
About the only direct connection I can think of is Alm's overclass is Conquerer

Although for what it's worth, it's been thousands of years. Even if Walhart did get all the details of the journey, which probably left a lot out just due to the passage of time, I could still see him develop in a different way that'd cause him to completely miss the point of their journey & what they accomplished. After all, pretty sure Chrom's line came from Marth's (or at the very least, related in spirit of right of rule) but Chrom's father was still an utter monster by all counts.

While looking at quotes I found this fun one

quote:

If we are to eradicate war, we must destroy all borders. Tear down the nation-state. Eradicate all notion of religion. Bring everything under one rule, and we can stamp out the strife that fuels war." — Walhart,
Walhart came way too early in Heroes life, I'm sure he & Edelgard could have a fun forging bond

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, now I feel foolish: I meant "predecessors". :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rannum posted:

Although for what it's worth, it's been thousands of years. Even if Walhart did get all the details of the journey, which probably left a lot out just due to the passage of time, I could still see him develop in a different way that'd cause him to completely miss the point of their journey & what they accomplished. After all, pretty sure Chrom's line came from Marth's (or at the very least, related in spirit of right of rule) but Chrom's father was still an utter monster by all counts.

I don't think Walhart would bring it up as a focus if he was, honestly.

His whole thing is making a new world with his own hands, that he's stronger than the gods. If he needed a holy bloodline, that would be saying his power was derived from someone else, not something he earned for himself.