Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

The crossbow is there to be insanely overpowered in open sea part of the open world.

Yeah I think it one-shots sirens if you hit them while sailing. Same for drowners during the underwater segment. I don't know why a projectile weapon would be more powerful underwater but I won't argue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I think it one-shots sirens if you hit them while sailing. Same for drowners during the underwater segment. I don't know why a projectile weapon would be more powerful underwater but I won't argue

i think it was a last-minute bandaid patch upon internal QA/QC people mentioning underwater poo poo is loving annoying as hell so lets just make things one-shot. the game was already delayed a lot as it is (multiple) and it was pretty clearly something not was fleshed out as it should be, but also recognized it wasn't very fun so lets just make it one-shot poo poo and go call it good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xaris posted:

i think it was a last-minute bandaid patch upon internal QA/QC people mentioning underwater poo poo is loving annoying as hell so lets just make things one-shot. the game was already delayed a lot as it is (multiple) and it was pretty clearly something not was fleshed out as it should be, but also recognized it wasn't very fun so lets just make it one-shot poo poo and go call it good.

Yeah, that's the only thing that makes sense. Every underwater enemy dies in a single hit no matter your level or the stats of your crossbow, it's clearly just a last-minute fix.

In general, Skellige feels like it was a little half-baked. Like how you end up just buying maps that let you fast travel to all the islands, instead of having to visit them first like locations in Velen and Novigrad. They were clearly still grappling with making the water-related parts of that game engaging, and didn't quite make it before they had to ship.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

White Orchard just exhausts me for some reason

I killed like three hundred of those ghoul things and all I accomplished was finding some old lady's frying pan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm someone that only plays games to the credits so I would probably enjoy diablo 3. because i would only be playing it once for the campaign and not for 500 hours

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The campaign is the worst part, it's the 500 hours after that's fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Being able to just start the game in adventure mode was the best. Totally skip the campaign part, but you still get to level up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

That makes sense and I'm fine with that as a solution; the underwater swimming isn't very good as-is, I can't imagine trying it with challenging combat. Removing enemies entirely would have been even better.

exquisite tea posted:

It's worth playing once, but only so you can complain about it afterward

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Look, I understand that some people will fundamentally never understand the concept of Number Go Up and why it rules. But please, do not attempt to make some prescient sweeping statement on how ARPGs are all about the numbers grind, because everybody who enjoys ARPGs understands this implicitly and that's why we play them. You're just embarrassing yourselves!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my favorite specific thing about D3 is that it has the best treasure ASMR i've seen so far in a video game. The way the chests look, and the way they explode in a shower of coins, gems, and loot, all clinking to the ground, triggers the dopamine release in a way few other games do. Only other thing that comes close that I can think of offhand is how enemies explode into money in Yakuza 0, and I get that that was a specific "80s economic boom" theme but I wish they kept it going for the whole series

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

People said that about Destiny too and they were wrong

i will play to the credits and stop

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1271864230308753413?s=20

Wait, what?

Since when was P4G getting a PC port? Why have I not heard about this before? :psyboom:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's also a Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town remake coming to Steam because sure, why not.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jagged Jim posted:

Wait, what?

Since when was P4G getting a PC port? Why have I not heard about this before? :psyboom:

Because it was stealth launched today. Literally just happened a couple hours ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jagged Jim posted:

Wait, what?

Because Atlus didn't say anything until today!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/SurielVazquez/status/1271874981882929153?cxt=HGwWgoC13dXjzaYjAAAA

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Either way I've greatly enjoyed both and I'm looking forward to putting a lot of hours into Witcher 3!

Another difference between the two games: W3 has a ton of mods that range from bug fixes to QoL tweaks to large overhauls unlike AC:O. If you like modding your games, def check out the W3 nexus.

QoL/UI mods like Friendly Hud can be cool if you're planning to put a lot of hours in. None of the mods are necessary of course, game is great enough as is.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

People said that about Destiny too and they were wrong

i will play to the credits and stop

i wouldnt even bother then. the campaign is not good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm another sicko who mostly played the campaign for D3 and then thought playing beyond that was pretty pointless, but I had a decent enough time getting through the story anyway. Yeah it's dumb but it's loving Diablo, what do you expect?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Diablo 2 wasn't really that dumb. Those cutscenes and that storyline are still pretty rad to this day.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Diablo 2 wasn't really that dumb. Those cutscenes and that storyline are still pretty rad to this day.

yeah trhis. diablo 2 was a silly campy story told around a camp-fire feel, almost literally, in a mostly show-not-tell sense. kinda closer to dark souls in terms of story telling and it wasn't really dumb. diablo 3 was just obnoxiously intrusive, in your-face, and up it's own rear end in pretentiousness and thinking it was an actually good story when it's entirely not. that's a big loving difference

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Begemot posted:

Yeah, that's the only thing that makes sense. Every underwater enemy dies in a single hit no matter your level or the stats of your crossbow, it's clearly just a last-minute fix.

In general, Skellige feels like it was a little half-baked. Like how you end up just buying maps that let you fast travel to all the islands, instead of having to visit them first like locations in Velen and Novigrad. They were clearly still grappling with making the water-related parts of that game engaging, and didn't quite make it before they had to ship.

yeah skellige was definitely rushed out the door, and i get it. the game was delayed in 2-3 very prominent delays, already a year over it's initial release date, and growing too monstrous and sucking dry the company. it's the worst part of the game, in part because you could have been playing 40 to 160 hours before you even get there and getting close to 'end-of-game' rush feeling, but also it just is clearly undeveloped and all the worthless islands and sprinkling of underwater chests was just a quick bandaid filler and then just had to cut loses, cauterize the gaping open wounds they had, and get it out the door.

it doesn't really detract from the experience because it's virtually the end of the game, or at least has a very dramatic upbeat in end-of-game rush sensation as things come to a close, so you mostly just beeline a few quests and that's about it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Removing enemies entirely would have been even better.
this would have been better, but i think it would have taken more developer hours to take out enemies and their ability to go underwater but that point. and i think they envisioned a more grandeur ~invading the drowners~ and mixed environment drowner-type stuff happening and also wanting to add some tension to the water.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 14, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is Grim Dawn not that well regarded? I put in a couple of hours a few weeks ago before setting it aside because I had other games to play and thought it very good and engaging, but I haven't played an ARPG in years and years.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

v1ld posted:

Is Grim Dawn not that well regarded? I put in a couple of hours a few weeks ago before setting it aside because I had other games to play and thought it very good and engaging, but I haven't played an ARPG in years and years.

People seem to like it alot I think. For my money it's the second best ARPG out there behind PoE and a good bit easier to get into

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D3s campaign is just awful. Let's just do D2's structure all over again except render the plot down to nothing but boilerplate Blizzard themes, but also the plot is so important now that you have to have a companion at like every point chatting to you about it and in-game cutscenes full of dialogue about corruption and fate to disguise the fact that none of the bosses exist in the gameworld.
TWIST! a main character was corrupted by diablo!! and now diablo's in hell!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

v1ld posted:

it's really loving good, but a bit slow at the start. i think it's the best blend between something like path of exile and diablo 3. it still has very chunky and visually impressive and raining fire-grenade lightning strike vortex whirls craziness, but with an actual y'know, character building and a large variety of builds/skills and itemization such yit's actually more engrossing and interesting than D3's shallow puddle, but without being too PoE-obtuse where you need* (don't actually need but y'know) a guide and a wiki open while playing. GD is very generous with respec too but it feels like you have more choices and decisions to make and meaningfully apply to a build

you can do a lot of crazy stuff to break the game too which is fun
https://giant.gfycat.com/LazyOccasionalDassie.webm
https://fat.gfycat.com/MindlessIncomparableCrownofthornsstarfish.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/SlushyThreadbareAiredaleterrier.webm

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You will have to fight your way past... Jondaaaar

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am not someone who cares a whole lot about the diablo lore or franchise and i'm just gonna play the campaign and slice some skeletons or whatever

also this game in the itch.io bundle is literally just jet grind radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwcM_7yMygc

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

v1ld posted:

I really like the gameplay of it but I just kinda prefer the aesthetics of Titan Quest.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The 7th Guest posted:

i am not someone who cares a whole lot about the diablo lore or franchise and i'm just gonna play the campaign and slice some skeletons or whatever

This is the exact reason why you shouldn't play the campaign.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Adventure mode is pure unadulterated skeleton chopping and it’s phenomenal. No plot or anything to slow your roll, just a number that demands to be upped

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
What I ended up loving about Diablo 3 is the speed of it all at the end game. Now when I try to play Grim Dawn it just feels so slow, same with POE. In Diablo 3 you are running, spinning, rolling, shoulder charging, leaping, teleporting around like the flash and getting a poo poo ton of loot. Also, as an adult now what I love about Diablo 3 is how easy it is to redo a character, there is no money or in game items involved for changing your build which is great when you are not a 14 year old anymore. I understand people disliking that though because you are not in as much control of your build when you don't customize skill points/skills.

Also, I am sad to hear bad stuff about Torchlight 3. I thought Torchlight 1 was enjoyable and same for 2 but neither one had any staying power at all. I had hopes 3 would maybe be better and maybe it still will since it is in EA.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My only problem with Grim Dawn is I can't get over how gloomy and miserable the world is. It doesn't bug me in Path of Exile but Grim Dawn is just really - muddy or something at the start, I don't know. Whereas Titan Quest is bright and sunny and you're in open fields a lot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is the exact reason why you shouldn't play the campaign.
I like starting a thing and finishing it! You're just not going to convince me on this one.

I also played through the Torchlight 1 campaign and stopped after that, and I thought it was fine, although it was M&KB only which is an ARPG sin imo (i'll be playing D3 on console)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’ve decided to play Baldurs gate 1 and 2 as I never played them back in the day and I’ve got the enhanced editions on steam.

What tips should I know before I start? Also any mods that improve quality of life?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HopperUK posted:

My only problem with Grim Dawn is I can't get over how gloomy and miserable the world is. It doesn't bug me in Path of Exile but Grim Dawn is just really - muddy or something at the start, I don't know. Whereas Titan Quest is bright and sunny and you're in open fields a lot.

I do think it's kind of funny that the reason you're considered the savior of humanity in grim dawn is that you're an arpg protagonist, literally, with the power to murder a ton of poo poo and gather an infinite amount of supplies before portalling home

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
92% or more of Diablo 3's content is not in the campaign. Of course, play however you'd like, it's just that there are enjoyable mechanics, other types of items, special buffs, complete item set abilities/bonuses, and more that's missed if only the campaign is played. It's just not as mechanically interesting because they poured their efforts everywhere else (this is not hyperbole). Regardless, enjoy smashing all the baddies!

And vanilla Diablo 3 with no Reaper of Souls in sight... Wouldn't recommend it to anyone I like. I can't believe they still sell vanilla versions. What the heck?
-
Yeah, D3 is loot explosion mania.

Path of Exile's pacing has increased many fold though with all the loot changes and additions. It's pretty nice and still keeps the complexity intact and nerdy for people like me.

Grim Dawn is one heck of a game. I enjoyed where it went with the expansions when I did another play through. I recommend all 3. And Titan Quest.

I have very little love for the Torchlight series.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamfrost posted:

92% or more of Diablo 3's content is not in the campaign.

Well, that's all there is if you don't have the expansion so :shrug:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mordja posted:

Well, that's all there is if you don't have the expansion so :shrug:

I remember those days. Dark times... with not enough loot. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ToxicToast posted:

What I ended up loving about Diablo 3 is the speed of it all at the end game. Now when I try to play Grim Dawn it just feels so slow, same with POE. In Diablo 3 you are running, spinning, rolling, shoulder charging, leaping, teleporting around like the flash and getting a poo poo ton of loot.
My experience is like the compete polar opposite. Even just the running in D3 is slow and all your other poo poo goes on cooldown or wants you to juggle between buttons to keep moving.