Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It only just occurred to me: in the first game, when you are in control there are never non-zombie women to kill, correct? Whenever it's a team of un-turned humans hunting you down it's exclusively men?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

univbee posted:

It only just occurred to me: in the first game, when you are in control there are never non-zombie women to kill, correct? Whenever it's a team of un-turned humans hunting you down it's exclusively men?

They cut female hunters from the game. It's all speculation as to whether it was so you weren't killing women or whether it was just not wanting to make more models and record more voice.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

univbee posted:

Nope, there’s one lady doctor at the end. Otherwise yeah, and the clickers seem to trend towards being women too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They have female hunters in Factions, so not really sure. Some people have suggested that ND were worried about the optics of player violence against women...but that seems a bit suspect given the overall tone of the game. If it was in fact the case in 2013 then it's definitely not the case now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man the guy that does Skill Up is a pretty reliable YouTube dude for reviews and he was not impressed by TLOU2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Nope, there’s one lady doctor at the end.

Ah yes. You don't have to shoot her, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

univbee posted:

Ah yes. You don't have to shoot her, though.

Sure I didn't have to, but I felt I owed it to her.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Man the guy that does Skill Up is a pretty reliable YouTube dude for reviews and he was not impressed by TLOU2.

Never heard of him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Sure I didn't have to, but I felt I owed it to her.

I only merc'd the surgeon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Never heard of him.

Australian guy. Maybe pops up for me because I'm in Australia. He does a good job and there's no gimmicky YouTube persona stuff going on. Just thought out commentary. I don't always agree with him but he's sound.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm in Australia.

Never heard of it.

:grin:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

lucky for naughty dog I am in the biggest gaming drought of my life...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

univbee posted:

Their official reasoning was some sort of hardware related thing that was hilariously unbelievable, but realistically, think of the optics if Joel was smashing some woman's head into a toilet until it exploded...It would have looked super bad in sizzle reels and probably have garnered a lot of negative attention. I can see why they ultimately landed on just making all of the basic enemies men.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 14, 2020

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This game is going to be legendary, they just can't say it's the ultimate exploitation cinema style video game because of all the articles about their labor practices

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zongerian posted:

This game is going to be legendary, they just can't say it's the ultimate exploitation cinema style video game because of all the articles about their labor practices

Yawn.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They have female hunters in Factions, so not really sure. Some people have suggested that ND were worried about the optics of player violence against women...but that seems a bit suspect given the overall tone of the game. If it was in fact the case in 2013 then it's definitely not the case now.

They had them in Factions but conveniently in my region and some others they removed violent dismemberment from just factions so I'd lean more to the former.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hmm never thought of it that way, that they just cut them out for optics, makes sense tbh. i just assumed the hunters were all men for an in-lore reason, like mad max fury road, and this faction kept all the women locked up or something. at least the way they act in the hotel and stuff and the tank thing with the body on the front suggested. like the hunters were completely different from the other factions im at the sneaking out part of the first hunter bit and i cant exactly remember now but arent they cannibals later? or is that someone else, david right? because we've seen how hard as nails the women can be already in the other factions, like tess and marlene, theres also the women soldiers and later game pretty sure the firefly doctors in that end section are mix or am forgetting this now?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

hmm never thought of it that way, that they just cut them out for optics, makes sense tbh. i just assumed the hunters were all men for an in-lore reason, like mad max fury road, and this faction kept all the women locked up or something. at least the way they act in the hotel and stuff and the tank thing with the body on the front suggested. like the hunters were completely different from the other factions im at the sneaking out part of the first hunter bit and i cant exactly remember now but arent they cannibals later? or is that someone else, david right? because we've seen how hard as nails the women can be already in the other factions, like tess and marlene, theres also the women soldiers and later game pretty sure the firefly doctors in that end section are mix or am forgetting this now?

The hunters are distinct from the Davidstown crew I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a minute, but I think there are actually female hunters but they don't actually make it into the gameplay segments.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a minute, but I think there are actually female hunters but they don't actually make it into the gameplay segments.

some of the guys in Philly talk about trying to convert the "crazy" woman, so presumably they're open to women in the ranks

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think i noticed this the first time i played it but i guess i forgot, the house in tlou1 that ellie runs off too on horse back and joel and tommy chase after her is the exact same one from the 2's reveal trailer where shes playing guitar, right? looks the same to me?

edit: lol actually dont think it is now. just watched the reveal trailer again. these 2019 houses all look the same i guess.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 14, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think i noticed this the first time i played it but i guess i forgot, the house in tlou1 that ellie runs off too on horse back and joel and tommy chase after her is the exact same one from the 2's reveal trailer where shes playing guitar, right? looks the same to me?

edit: lol actually dont think it is now. just watched the reveal trailer again. these 2019 houses all look the same i guess.

Hard to say. That's near Tommy's camp so it's certainly possible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The haunting and life-altering impact of retributionary violence was something Druckmann decided to explore after a subordinate asked him for overtime pay.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

The haunting and life-altering impact of retributionary violence was something Druckmann decided to explore after a subordinate asked him for overtime pay.

Yawn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't talk poo poo in a BP thread or it's gonna get ugly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is for you Veni

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, now I'm awake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow very cool!

JB Hi-Fi Takes Down ‘Very Angry Lesbian’ Promo For Last Of Us 2

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/06/jb-hifi-last-of-us-2-very-angry-lesbian-promo/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is for you Veni

:eyepop:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Oh, the one from that first full trailer that's rumored to be Ellie's mom?

Yeah, but Ellie's pretty jacked, too imo

Ehh, she's not jacked, but definitely fit.

I imagine a hard life like that lived in TLOU would make a lot of people fit.

Or dead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Protons posted:

I imagine a hard life like that lived in TLOU would make a lot of people fit.

Such is life when you're dedicated to PUMPING BRICK

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

when did the dlc for tlou2 come out, was it before or after we knew what the ps4 looked like? i ask because i got to that bit in the dlc and noticed the console looked like a ps4 and thought we had another dkc3 situation going on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

when did the dlc for tlou2 come out, was it before or after we knew what the ps4 looked like? i ask because i got to that bit in the dlc and noticed the console looked like a ps4 and thought we had another dkc3 situation going on

Left Behind came out 1 year after TLOU released, 7 months after the PS4 launched, so at about the same time as Remastered was released.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

beat the first game and its dlc. first time for the dlc, that was pretty good, also doing it at the point where it happens in the main game works well actually, gives that ending speech by ellie, when she talks about her best friend, even more weight and i wouldnt say it messes up the pacing either, since the winter stuff starts off as a "new chapter" even if it ultimately isn't. also feel like, from what i've seen of the first two trailers and the deep dive for 2, theres a lot of setting up ellie for 2 in it the wolf mask :eyepop: (i remember them calling ellie the wolf in the deep dive) and then the way she slit that runners throat :eyepop:

2nd time for main game, noticed alot more stuff but the more i think about it the more i think i just forgot a lot of details, like whos fuckin who and the real meaning of some phrases. also can confirm no lady fireflys and you dont even kill the female nurses, unless you can? i had no ammo left so they just stuck to the wall but i kill the main doctor dude. that end section on survivor was tough until i 100% stealthed it. enjoyed survivor tho for the most part, the david boss fight was even more intense.

so... ellie knows right? the way she was acting before the giraffe's show up, tells me that she already knew she was gonna die from getting the cure out of her, maybe marlene already told her. either way she knows what joel did.

anyway, shopto emailed me, sounds like my disc is on its way, might get it tomorrow or thursday lol not that i have anytime to play it until friday :negative:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 16, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

so... ellie knows right? the way she was acting before the giraffe's show up, tells me that she already knew she was gonna die from getting the cure out of her, maybe marlene already told her. either way she knows what joel did.

She 1000% knows. But she's afraid of being alone.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think she knew that she was going to die, but with survivor's guilt, I don't think she was necessarily opposed to the idea. I think Ashley Johnson's interpretation was something like "Ellie knows he's lying at the end, but she doesn't care about that because she just wanted to know that someone was willing to go through all of that for her"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think she knew that she was going to die, but with survivor's guilt, I don't think she was necessarily opposed to the idea. I think Ashley Johnson's interpretation was something like "Ellie knows he's lying at the end, but she doesn't care about that because she just wanted to know that someone was willing to go through all of that for her"

Oh yea, totally this. I meant to clarify that she knows Joel is lying, but she trusts his instincts even if she doesn't believe his words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is just a guess but I think it'll certainly be addressed in TLOU 2.

I'll spoiler this even though it's just speculation and TLOU 1 spoilers but clearly they still have some sort of parent/child relationship still in TLOU 2 so I think it'll end up being a long running bit of tension in their relationship that has already been addressed in the past, or something Ellie has bottled up until some point in TLOU2. I suspect she is probably carrying some degree of guilt or resentment towards Joel, or both. But I also think she understands and sympathizes with it to an extent

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 16, 2020