Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I love how the team uses "lazy" animation techniques for maximum comedic effect, like when they click-and-drag Fujiwara around the Prez when she's mad or when they zoom in on Papagane so much you start seeing artifacts.

And I can't not hear Dio every time Papagane speaks, making that scene with him teasing Kaguya extra hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The voice acting has been great for the show's entire run, but I feel like it was in especially good form today.

Konomi Kohara in particular's carving out a spot on my list of favorite VAs over the past year or two. Been an absolute delight here as Chika and as Machikado Mazoku's Shamiko.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A fun episode, looking forward to some significant developments next week.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

The voice acting has been great for the show's entire run, but I feel like it was in especially good form today.

Konomi Kohara in particular's carving out a spot on my list of favorite VAs over the past year or two. Been an absolute delight here as Chika and as Machikado Mazoku's Shamiko.

She was pretty great as Kasumi in Asobi Asobase as well.

She's definitely a rising star.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Good to see that the team behind this understand that Maki Suffering is a top background gag, and cast her and Kashiwagi in the Solomon fable.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This was the greatest episode of all time and exceeded or subverted every expectation I could possibly have had and more. It's exactly what I wanted and more.

So many parts had me rolling on the floor laughing.

For the full So-ranbushi dance, there's a few different videos, I think this one gives a good effect for the performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3MxCceP4I&t=104s

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bitchy Chika is so powerful, yet she still wasn't the most powerful character to appear in this episode.

This whole arc is even better animated than I was expecting it to be. I'm looking forward to the finale, but I'm sad about it ending because we have to wait at least another year for more Kaguya.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

流石な, DIOの娘
:hai:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else notice that Papagane's beer was Akasaka brand?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
fujiwara muttering under her breath at kaguya teaching, and every single scene with papa shirogane, are what i've been waiting for since the start of this season. both were pulled off spectacularly this episode

this is such a great adaptation

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/gfjnGNl.mp4
Kaguya and Chika in the background are my favorite part.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I am making a post in this thread because I want every one to know I think Koga Aoi is reaching unprecedented levels of cute this season. Thank you for your time.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

TowerofOil posted:

I am making a post in this thread because I want every one to know I think Koga Aoi is reaching unprecedented levels of cute this season. Thank you for your time.

I hope you're also listening to the radio show! If you like Koga Aoi you can't miss it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Someone actually did a really good thing capitalizing on Daddy Dio https://www.reddit.com/r/Kaguya_sama/comments/h9gm0v/oc_kaguya_calls_dio_episode_1_punishment/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fire Ogino into the drat sun

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ishigami is a good boy

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Lock him away into the deepest darkest pit of hell

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God drat what a good episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ishigami :unsmith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

If given the chance, I'm sure Kaguya would ship him to North Korea :getin:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Ishigami is a good boy

:hai:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grouchio posted:

If given the chance, I'm sure Kaguya would ship him to North Korea :getin:

She'd never do a thing like that. She'd just refer the matter to the shadow student council, who would.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Paracelsus posted:

She'd never do a thing like that. She'd just refer the matter to the shadow student council, who would.

Wait, what shadow student council?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Two very silly things happened to me this episode

1) Huh, how did Ishigami get into this fancy rear end elite school and meet the student council anyway? Two seconds later: here ya go
2) Man, the cheer club seem like some good kids, they should give them some eyes so they don't look so wei---oh, well thanks :unsmith:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2020

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I want to give Ishigami a hug.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

a kitten posted:

Two very silly things happened to me this episode

1) Huh, how did Ishigami get into this fancy rear end elite school and meet the student council anyway? Two seconds later: here ya go
2) Man, the cheer club seem like some good kids, they should give them some eyes so they don't look so wei---oh, well thanks :unsmith:

He's also a rich kid. His dad's the CEO of a toy/game company

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Ishigami smiles in the ending now.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, what shadow student council?

The club leaders. There are some powerful people amongst them, including a Yakuza princess, the son of the Chief of Police, a literal prince, and more. They were previously mentioned to have sent a previous student council president who pissed them off to Cambodia. In the manga version of Kaguya's scene, she says that all she did was tell them the truth about Ishigami and Ogino.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Didn't think they'd actually skip the OP for this one, real glad they did. God this is such a good god drat adaptation holy poo poo, this episode was drat near perfect.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eyre Kneed posted:

He's also a rich kid. His dad's the CEO of a toy/game company
Who beat him during his suspendment apparently??

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This episode was good but also really bummed me out. Like drat.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The episode was good but I really don't care about the drama. It's giving me P5 vibes of "you did a good thing but now you're the scum of the earth because you dared step out of line in Japan".

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Dastardly posted:

The episode was good but I really don't care about the drama. It's giving me P5 vibes of "you did a good thing but now you're the scum of the earth because you dared step out of line in Japan".

If Ishigami only told the truth about what happened, his reputation would have been fine. The only reason he became such a pariah is because he never told his side of the story.

Also Shirogane is the best but everyone already knows that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

If Ishigami only told the truth about what happened, his reputation would have been fine. The only reason he became such a pariah is because he never told his side of the story.

Also Shirogane is the best but everyone already knows that.

What's unfortunate is that Inshigami got outplayed by a guy who's at least more cunning than Ishigami is so even if Ishigami spoke the truth, Ogino would've claimed it was a lie or made up and he'd have hurt Kyoko in the process which is what Ishigami was primarily trying to avoid. His reputation might not have been damaged as much as it did, but it's unknown if he'd have gotten away clean.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Xelkelvos posted:

What's unfortunate is that Inshigami got outplayed by a guy who's at least more cunning than Ishigami is so even if Ishigami spoke the truth, Ogino would've claimed it was a lie or made up and he'd have hurt Kyoko in the process which is what Ishigami was primarily trying to avoid. His reputation might not have been damaged as much as it did, but it's unknown if he'd have gotten away clean.

The student councils report probably would have helped, but it really doesn't matter. Ishigami's goal was to protect Kyoko's smile and he did that. It's only unfortunate that he suffered for it.

He seems to be doing just fine now though so all's well that ends well.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The story of a society that would rather protect someone with the social worth of Ogino over an outcast like Ishigami is not exactly far-fetched.

If this show was an edgy drama as opposed to a gag-centric romcom, it would've had different kind of resolution.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coaaab posted:

The story of a society that would rather protect someone with the social worth of Ogino over an outcast like Ishigami is not exactly far-fetched.

If this show was an edgy drama as opposed to a gag-centric romcom, it would've had different kind of resolution.
So you're implying that these sort of positive resolutions are not possible in real life, ehhh?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm positioning "edgy drama" and "gag-centric romcom" at opposite ends of the fiction spectrum, real life would be somewhere in the middle where some situations end peacefully and some don't.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well drat, that was a really dark episode for this show.

Built up to some great payoff, though. Ishigami seeing his club-mates for the first time was art.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Shirogane helped Kaguya see the fire works in season 1, helped Iino with her fear of public speaking earlier in Season 2, and this episode pulled Ishigami out of his depression.

In other series it can be hard to see why anyone gives a poo poo about a generic dumbass, dense, or overpowered mc. Not here though. Its really easy to see why Shirogane inspires such love and loyalty in everyone who knows him and it makes this series so much more enjoyable having an actually great protagonist.

Tldr Shirogane is the bestest boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Such a good episode. The show is doing an amazing job of making me go through the same feelings I had when reading the manga all over again.

I can see people not liking the lack of comedy in this one, but the character building is worth it, especially for all the stuff that comes afterwards when we get a third season.